State Of Mine: Impire Scenario Playthrough

By Adam Smith on February 5th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

I played Impire last week, although my hands-on time just about saw me through the tutorial so I didn’t get to summon any truly horrible minions. My dungeon was packed with scurrying imps of various sorts though and, later, with heroes too. The brief hands-on session revealed Impire to be a solid take on dungeon management, with a neat incorporation of simple overworld missions and combat that is more engaging than it first appears. It’s also an attractive game and while you’ll have to wait a couple of days for my full impressions, you can watch a few minutes of playthrough footage from the first scenario right now, which gives a good look at the all-important interface.

Paradox also send word that Impire now available for pre-order. It’s £14.99 and is out on Valentine’s Day. Awwwwww.

, , .

JiminyJickers says:

Looks interesting. I hope there is a demo coming out so that I can give it a try.

Was not impressed with the other recent Dungeon Keeper clones.

Martel says:

I feel the same way. I’m really hoping this is good but am a bit wary

• Ringwraith says:

The last one I can think of, Dungeons, wasn’t, it was tower defence game with a dungeon theme.
        This looks like a slightly more RTS slant on Dungeon Keeper’s dungeon manager, so could be more like it, still gonna be different though.

• kelseypaul1 says:

If you think Daniel`s story is something…, two weeks ago my friend basically recieved a check for $9988 putting in a ninteen hour week from home and their roomate’s mother-in-law`s neighbour has been doing this for 6 months and got a cheque for over $9988 part-time On there laptop. applie the advice at this site. Read about it

• Velko says:

The pun thread that never was to be.

2. Phantoon says:

Good lord what a terrible narrator.

• Teovald says:

This is beyond awful. The sounds are also pretty bad.
      I knew that I would not hear the familiar clink clink of Dungeon Keeper’s pickaxes, but the sound made by the imps digging is absurd…

• MOKKA says:

Isn’t it interesting how the first Dungeon Keeper still has the best Sound design of any Dungeon Management Game out there? Sure, there weren’t that many, but still, one could think that people would take clues from the game that invented this paticular genre.

• Alphadrop says:

I install DK 1 every now and again just to hear the imps run around and make that tink sound with their pickaxes, so nostalgic and relaxing.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

He definitely can’t carry off the gravitas needed to convey the true sentiment behind phrases like “Micro-piglets stalk your dungeon”.

• wolfinexile says:

Or “your dungeon is full of yoghurt” and “your dungeon floor is lumpy, order your minions to jump up and down”.

• LionsPhil says:

The funny thing is, I thought this was the project that snapped up Richard Ridings.

• TheOddOne says:

I believe the project that snapped up Richard Ridings for a DK look-alike (or “inspired by”) was War for The Overworld.

• ecat says:

Sadly I have to agree, he just cannot do dark evil with a hint of fun. Also I think the minion chatter will grow old very quickly.

The good news, reading this was to be released on Valentines day reminded me of the this old minion trailer for some reason. Ah, the simple days :)

• tyren says:

He seems to be the overworld mage that accidentally summoned you instead of an imp. Not sure if he’s the actual narrator for the rest of the game beyond the tutorial (I hope not) but the voice is appropriate for that type of character, I think.

3. meatshit says:

Well that’s a bit disappointing. The interface looks fiddly with far too much right clicking and the voice acting isn’t very good. Might still be a fun game, but the voice acting alone means it won’t compare to the original Dungeon Keepers.

4. iniudan says:

No Staring Eyes tag ?

5. Asher535 says:

I think the ‘Slaughter Chicks’ objective up there in the left hand corner needs a little bit of clarification. Here’s hoping it’s fowl, rather than foul.

• Pintlemount says:

We wouldn’t want an incarnation of pure evil doing anything ungentlemanly, after all.

6. Engonge says:

I still have DK2 installed,I play the campaign every now and then.DK is one of my all time faves so I have been waiting for a decent clone for 13 years.
    But this sound design is killing it for me.They are more like beating the wall not mining it.

7. yurusei says:

“Gain access to Chief Red Bull’s Pyramid”

If you succeed, does he give you wings?

8. reinodefiant says:

I almost pre-ordered. Man.

9. Joshua Northey says:

A) The fact that logging in redirects you back to the main page is just terrible. Fix that RPS.

B) I am confused why everyone thinks every game in this series must have amazing sound design. Yes the sound design of this game isn’t its strength. Boo Hoo. I hope the actual game is worth the small sum they are asking for it. Good sound design is nice, but that is icing on the cake compared to the gameplay.

• Sian says:

Exactly (on both accounts). The same goes for the narrator’s voice: not every evil advisor needs to gargle gravel for breakfast. I think he sounds evil enough. The announcer’s voice is quite a bit more gravelly anyway, even though we only hear one sentence out of him.

10. Shiri says:

Woah, I was all set to get excited about this, but suddenly I notice the “Cyanide” tag. WELL THEN. Nevermind.

11. SnakeByte99 says:

Well, I just hope it’s worth the 15 bucks. If it is better then dungeons i’m all happy. You guys are just purist nerds. Just enjoy a game for what it’s worth for once?! Jeez, not every girl is like your first love, deal with it.

And don’t confuse this with War for the Overworld (WFTO), which is the ‘true sequel’ to the dungeonkeeper series. That one has R.Ridings as narrator and the blessings of Molyneux. ( for what it’s worth ) Really looking forward to that one. Hope they don’t mess up…