Arise, Sir Microtransaction: TERA: Rising Has Risen

By Alec Meer on February 5th, 2013 at 4:30 pm.

does whatever a twenty-foot spider can. I.e. whatever the hell it wants

As prophesied (well, reported) by the god among men that is Nathan ‘big dawg’ Grayson, recent MMO TERA is to hop aboard the divisive ship Free To Play. Its new version, with its free client, has now gone live. Apparently free players will have access to all the game’s content, but if you join ‘TERA Club’ you’ll get all manner of in-game boosts. Existent subscribers fall somewhere in the middle. More details on that side of things here. All and sundry, meanwhile, will find themselves paying extra for stuff like character sots.

TERA: Rising, as it is is now known, is available in Europe right now. As far as I can tell it’s already free in the US too. I’ve put a video below, but you can watch that in any country. Apart from China, probably. I hear the guys in charge over there are right dicks.

Download the client directly from here, if you like.

The big question, of course, is what’s in the pipeline for games after free to play has run its course. My vote’s on ‘being forced to play at gunpoint.’ EA have got a 4000-person R&D lab dedicated to that, I hear.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Jesse L says:

And many sexy horned chicks were created that day.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

*children

• Ringwraith says:

…and dudes! Don’t forget the dudes!

• Bhazor says:

When you go this far into the anime art style the only way to tell the Bishi from the women is which one is wearing a bikini top.

• Ringwraith says:

Yeah, it’s rather amusing.
          The high elves suffer from it the most, the human males are the only ones who are spared.

• Pryde says:

Well, my Aman female tend to disagree.

• Ringwraith says:

Eh, they still have impractical armour, it’s just not the worst.
            Also, to offset the fact they can’t wear stilettos to a fight, they simply have feet kinda shaped like them instead.

• phelix says:

PEGI 12!

2. jha4ceb says:

Seems like EU players are getting somewhat screwed over with the “micro”-transactions. Word on the forums is that extra character slots are going for $5 in the NA game but up to 34EUR in the EU game. (NB. the game has separate publishers, accounts, etc in EU/NA). So if you have decent NA ping, it might be worth signing up on the NA side.

• Ringwraith says:

Or tracking down a cheap boxed copy if you can, as they’ll give you all six slots you can buy straight away.
      Although they haven’t actually got the store running yet as far as I’m aware, so pricing may not be set yet.

3. scottossington says:

Apart from China, probably. I hear the guys in charge over there are right dicks.” Thank you for my morning larf!!

4. scottossington says:

Good news though, you can still get the Tera collector box on Amazon for a mere $119.00

5. Wisq says:

Ironically, I was going to buy Tera as soon as I was able, and now this news means I’ll never play it.

Tera is at that point on my interest scale where I’d be interested in playing it with the “veteran” perks, but I have no interest in playing the crappy limited free version, nor in paying a subscription for the premium perks.

Knowing that people who bought the game would get permanent extra perks for free, I had my sights on the Tera digital edition. I had just about decided to buy it, and then my credit card got defrauded and I had to wait a week while they mailed me another one.

Got the new card just yesterday. Today, Tera goes free to play, and removes the paid edition from their store. Welp. Bye, then!

I guess I should feel lucky. I probably don’t really need an MMO consuming my life right now. A week ago, I was laughing with a friend about how some fraudster had (temporarily) “saved” me from starting on another MMO. Turned out it was a little more permanent. :)

Edit: Foiled the fraudster (and probably just ignored some super important Message From Fate) and got a boxed edition from Amazon for $20. TAKE THAT, FATE. And that fraudster, too.

• AngoraFish says:

Ironically, I bought the digital edition on sale at Amazon last week to (partially) beat the move to microtransations. As I’m in Australia and the pings are reported to be horrendous I’m probably never going to play it, so they likely made more money from me than they otherwise would have.

• Ringwraith says:

The free version isn’t that “gimped”, seeing as the biggest (and pretty much only) drawback is simply you only get two character slots per server instead of eight.

• Wisq says:

And much less bank space, and certain trading limitations (no doubt to deal with gold farmers). Maybe they changed things. I do remember seeing a much bigger difference when I looked at their initial list of differences, a few weeks back.

In any case, buying the game at least means I can experience it on “normal” game terms — pay x dollars for y hours of gameplay, however long it takes to get bored of it — without feeling excessively “encouraged” to pay up. Depending on how that goes, I might end up eventually subscribing anyway, but without that constant “pay up or just quit already” F2P pressure.

• Ringwraith says:

Eh, the bank space is a mere quarter of normal, but at least I’ve never come close to filling any of it, so it’ll take a lot of play for it to become a problem (and you can keep upgrading your inventory space for gold anyway).
          The trade restrictions are probably level-based, like the chat access (at anything above local/party chat) is also level-restricted, but it’s not a particularly crazy restriction.

6. acpc2203 says:

Might start playing this again, I played for a few months at launch but there wasn’t much to do after hitting the max level. I really liked the leveling though, the combat is a blast and I don’t mind that the questing feels like a carbon copy of the BC era WoW system. Too bad there is only one leveling path, making alts gets stale real quick and it really sucks if you leveled a character only to find out you don’t like the play style.