Another 20th-Century Cyberpunk: Quadrilateral Cowboy

By Jim Rossignol on February 6th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Last century’s best science fiction tropes really do seem to be the water this week, with Blendo Games putting out a trailer for Quadrilateral Cowboy that subtitles it “20th Century Cyberpunk”. The gentle trailer of infiltration and hacking is explained like so: “When you have a top-of-the-line hacking deck armed with a 56.6k modem and a staggering 256k RAM, it means just one thing: you answer only to the highest bidder.”

This is most definitely a game worth paying attention to. Watch.

For rather more information on Quadrilateral Cowboy, have a read of Nathan’s interview.

It’s expected some time later this year.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Frosty says:

I think this is actually the game I am most excited for this year. Also Claire De Lune is an excellent match to the trailer.

Mr Blendo Games really has a unique art style nailed down doesn’t he?

• Wang Tang says:

IMHO the “unique artstyle” looks way too bland and really not appealing in any way. It just looks bad. And if that should be a reference to games from the ninetees, it’s not working for me either :S
      But the idea and gameplay, from what I’ve seen in the trailer, seem to be really great, so I’m waiting for more infos on the game (and pricing).

• bab says:

I think Blendo Games is just the one guy, so sticking to a simple-but-effective art style has probably helped him focus and spend his limited funds on the important core aspects of the game rather than just the aesthetic ones. Some of the scenery in the previous games was still incredibly effective despite being simple textures on blocks, though.

• abandonhope says:

I kept hoping Clare de Lune would turn into a Susumu Yokota song. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAq0f6z5cY8

• Emeraude says:

Damn, I love that album troll sampling at its finest… The opening to “Traveler in the wonderland” always makes me smirk.

• miscreated says:

I had to create an account just so I could thank you for introducing me to Susumu Yokota. That song is beautiful.

2. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I absolutely adore Blendo Games’ oeuvre. And after Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving I just can’t wait what Chung does when he does an actual FPS-game, not just a non-game. Did I say that out loud?

Also, terminal hacking always makes me feel like the king of the world.

3. Hodge says:

Later this year? Man, why does he have to tease us like this?

4. dethtoll says:

Going back to Nuevos Aires so soon? I can’t wait!

5. GallonOfAlan says:

Oh yes indeedy.

6. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

So basically, this is the game of what I thought I’d grow up to be?

Superb.

7. Carbonated Dan says:

‘Twentieth Century Cyberpunk’ translation: the Nineties are now Retro

anyone else feel old?

8. Jorum says:

computer tech is the best for making people feel old.
    look at Neuromancer where 5mb of ram is hot black market property and worth murder.

• Hoaxfish says:

In instances like that I like to pretend that it’s a “new” measurement.

So, stuff like 2001 having space travel and alien monoliths? That could still happen, it’s just at some point they stopped using the same calender as us. Maybe there was some dark age regression of civilisation (Planet of the Apes style)

• CannedLizard says:

I’m pretty sure what was ON the RAM was what was important. That may not make computer hardware sense, but William Gibson preferred his computers in the abstract at that point (Neuromancer being written on a typewriter, ironically).

9. Mario Figueiredo says:

First time I see this. Last year was a busy year to me. Didn’t do much reading on games and totally missed this. Was completely hooked. Bookmarked their site and yet another entry on my RemindMe chrome extension! Will for sure want to keep an eye on it.

Whats the musical piece on the movie, btw?
    I now I have it in my mp3 classic collection but having trouble finding it. It’s a big collection. Isn’t it one of Chopin’s Etudes? I have all 27 but am at odds why I can’t find it. If not Chopin, Liszt then?

10. Ostymandias says:

hacking bwpwap

and on that note i really think games media should pay more attention to what happens in the rest of this “new media” field. it’s still a frontier, and video games tie into an overlapping aesthetic of a much large production of art and culture. these “self conscious”, retro-futuristic games about technology such as this one and notch’s new thing with space and eighties computers are in essence some sort of techno-cultural feedback loop, a painting of a painter painting a painter. we’re at a point in this digital arts field now where it breaks down into and onto itself and that’s a sign of maturity, I think.

oh, and check this out: http://www.transmediale.de/content/ioq3apaint

11. DrAmateurScience says:

I need this jacked directly into my frontal lobes tute de suite.

• Low Life says:

I’d settle for Oculus Rift. From the RPS interview of the developer:
      “You are hired by corporations to make plans to infiltrate buildings and steal documents. But you’re not the one actually running the plans. You’re just making them and giving them to people who are way more athletic than you are. So the idea is that you’re just a guy sitting in a chair wearing VR goggles.”

So you’d be a guy sitting in a chair wearing VR goggles controlling a guy sitting in a chair wearing VR goggles controlling a guy!

12. Odexios says:

I really, *really* hope it has something like tab completion. It might be that I’m too used to it, but I found out I can’t play games like these if I don’t have such a feature.

13. gritz says:

But I thought GTA3 was 20th century cyberpunk??

14. mont3core says:

Yesssssss, ohmygoodness. That interview with Brendan had me excited but this looks even more delicious.

15. MrTambourineMan says:

This looks too good, day 1 purchase for me, that’s for sure!

16. El Mariachi says:

A door openable via telnet? Might as well leave it unlocked.

Comment on this story