So… What Are You People Playing?

By Jim Rossignol on February 6th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

It’s been a while since we’ve asked you to step onto the soapbox, but it’s finally that time again: you’re constantly reading about what we’re playing – but what about you? What has filled your past few weeks, and why? Are you still playing through that backlog of hastily-purchased Steam games? Have you found some gem that we’ve missed? What has surprised you? What has disappointed you? Tell us now, please do.

I particularly want to hear from those of you playing free-to-play stuff. What has held your attention? Speak!

__________________

« | »

1. tciecka says:

I’ve been playing GOG’s Divine Divinity, lately. When I can’t really sit down for full screen gaming, I’m mudding at 3scapes LPMud (http://www.3scapes.org/).

Getting DDiv to work was a bit of a mini-game in itself!

2. Totally heterosexual says:

Okami

The best game.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I’ve been replaying it lately and it really is the best game. It’s completely off its tree.

Edit: You know those rare songs that feel like they were written specifically for you – not about you, but for you? That’s what Okami feels like for me. I can’t think of any other game that does that.

3. B1A4 says:

Warhammer 40k – Dawn of War 2 + Space Marine + Dark Crusade; Sengoku; Torchlight 2 and Killing Floor.

But i’d love to move with Witcher 2 (end of first act, not prologue), Silent Storm, Homeworld (beatiful and emocional but not really good RTS? Am I the only one?), Men of War, Gothic 3, Urban Chaos and Ufo Aftershock. Also TW: Empire :/

I’ve got a lot of fucking work to do :(

4. Gap Gen says:

Stick-a-Hoop 4000: The Stickening.

5. Vernalagnia says:

Skipping randomly around between Morrowind, Skyrim and …emulated FFX? Playing a lot of Skyrim made me want to play Morrowind, but getting my fresh Morrowind install up fully-modded-glory has been more work than I’ve felt like giving to it. This also coincided with a once-in-a-decade desire to play a JRPG. I quickly remembered that I really liked FFX’s story…and didn’t really like most of the gameplay, probably because I don’t really like JRPGs in general.

6. JovaZmaj says:

Titan Quest Immortal Throne. Again. Finally got to some decent co-op with a friend.

7. jrodman says:

Picross 3d on the DS Xi

8. bad guy says:

Grand Theft Auto (1)
    and
    Mechwarrior: Living Legends

both go bOOOM!!

9. sgt. grumbles says:

Falcon 4 BMS
    War Thunder

10. NathanH says:

In terms of free-to-play, just Path of Exile, which seems to be rather good without being particularly gripping. It is hard to complain about something like that when it is free though. I’d probably pay for it if it was a proper for-sale game, but probably won’t spend any money on the microtransactions.

In terms of real games, EU3 with all the expansions. I bought the game on release and thought it was terrible, and so never cared to pay for any expansions given that I bought the game for full price. But then they gave me all the expansions for nothing. It’s really good, although rather too easy to get stupidly high income.

Other games currently being played are Football Manager 2013, Towns, Saints Row 3, Thief Gold, ToME. Have also been trying to play Deus Ex: Human Resources and Witcher: Asses of Kings, but even though I think both games are really good I just find most of that sort of AAA action-RPG just tire me out very quickly these days.

11. Guvornator says:

Rage (which is pretty good once you’ve accepted it’s a linear shooter masquerading as an open world game)
    XCOM – Enemy Unknown
    Max Payne 3
    Mark Of The Ninja
    Iron Brigade

12. enwandrews says:

Ziggurat and the second dota have my full attention.

Ziggurat rewards my daily progress with subtle soundtrack and environment changes. My blonde warrior breathes heavy, the sun sets, and popcorn people start breaking through the clouds. It takes 382 alien freaks to cut through my fireworks, just long enough for the moon to rise.

I’ve been falling into the dota pit for a year now. I appreciate the match long requirement for mouse aerobics. To extract coins I must dance around ants and lords, timing each click for gold and damage. Unfortunately the game shelters master trolls, just today a player abducted the courier and dropped my items on a random patch of the map. I still have around twenty lords to research.

13. Gassalasca says:

FTL and WoW (got a starter + a month’s sub because I had a D3 account – will they stoop to anything?)

14. ChromeBallz says:

Been trying to beat Starcraft II’s singleplayer on brutal lately… So close to getting all the singleplayer achievements.

15. Wizlah says:

Crusader Kings 2. First go around the dynasty of McCarthy were wiped from the Duchy of Munster by a massive army of Normans who had permission from the Pope. Not dissimilar from reality.

Endlessly engaging. I am consistently surprised at how the rest of the world carries on around you.

FTL got a masive amoint of play a bit back too.

16. neolith says:

GW2, Gnomoria, Defense Grid.
    I also started playing Dishonored – but so far I found it utterly boring. Which is a shame as it looks like it has lots of unused potential. Maybe it’ll get better once I get a little deeper into it.

I also quite enjoy dabbling in Unity3D these days. More than playing any games actually.

17. Kinch says:

I promised myself not to buy any games on Steam until I go through the entire backlog of sale titles (going good so far, haven’t bought a thing since July 2012 ;)).

Last week, I finished Darksiders for the first time.
    Played some AC: Brotherhood but gave up after 8 hours because of disjointed story and same repetitive missions I had known from the previous installments.
    “Finished” Defence Grid but somehow I’m not compelled to replay it to get all medals. Good game, though.
    Started Mafia II last night. The first 30 minutes have been very much on the rails, I probably won’t enjoy the game as much as I liked “Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven”.

Apart from that, still quite a few titles to go. Should keep me entertained for a long time.
    Stopped playing Guild Wars 2 (boring, repetitive, grindy), not going to touch Tera Online. Might resub to WoW for a month to see how much has changed since I last played it eons ago.

18. XDeus says:

Since breaking my arm, all I’ve been able to manage is XCOM. Anything real-time is out of the question, I’ve done FTL to death for now, and most other pauseable games I have are Paradox ones, so a bit too much clicking is involved. That said, I’ve been trying an Ironman Classic playthrough and have gotten majorly screwed by misclicking or dropping the mouse, always during crucial enounters that end up ruining the mission. The latest cock-up was when my last-to-move heavy, instead of firing a rocket at 4 of 6 mutons, took a step out of cover instead.

Anyway, with any luck I’ll be getting a 360 controller rigged up within the week, so I’ll eventually get around to playing GTA4′s addons, or one of a ton of other games that thankfully supports controllers.

19. Moni says:

I have tendinitis in my wrist, so I will only be playing games that only require my left hand. Any recommendations?

• elderman says:

You don’t indicate what you’ve played or what kind of games you enjoy. Red Rogue seems playable with one hand.

Might be healthier to take a break from gaming, though.

20. mda says:

F2P:
    Planetside 2
    Tribes: Ascend
    Path of Exile
    League of Legends (play a game occasionally with friends and i suck suck suck at it)
    Black Mesa (just started even though I’ve been looking forward to it for years)

Paid:
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 (yes, still – I prefer it over BF3)
    Left 4 Dead 2 (because nobody plays L4D1 any more)
    Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 (once completed will be moving on to the 2013 version)
    Natural Selection 2 (i suck, need to play more)
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (yay for arms race)

edit – wow i play a lot of games… and i’m studying full time… how the heck do i do it?

21. DarkFenix says:

Navy Field 2′s so called ‘Public Evaluation Test’ at the moment.

On and off a bit of World of Tanks too.

22. Fontan says:

Recently finished Mass Effect 2 and, since I don’t have the third yet, I went to The Witcher. I’ve been trying to clear this backlog for quite sometime and I’m actually succeding now, focusing on one or two games at a time and restricting myself from new purchases until there’s some room to breath.

I’m also playing Far Cry 3, given to me by a friend on the Steam sale.

And, of course, Crusader Kings 2. Haven’t dropped since I got it and right now I’m with a friend on a multiplayer muslim campaign to conquer Europe.

23. Oryon says:

Rayman Origins. That game is happiness. There’s no better way to describe it and i cannot stop smiling when i play it.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I am a sad, lonely corporate worker that amasses worrying quantities of stress and passive aggression towards his fellow man. Chopping heads online is good venting. Or impaling them on javelins. Yes, javelins are particularly satisfying.

Alice: Madness Returns. I’m making this my ‘core’ game for the next couple of weeks ever since i finished KOTOR 2 again. It’s pretty good and has pretty great atmosphere but, and i can’t put my finger on why necessarily, it feels like it could have been more than what it is.

24. dare says:

It’s a free game, so it’s free to play, right?

Discoverd SPC: Containment Breach. Holy Horace. I haven’t been this scared since the first episode of Penumbra. Nay, scratch that. The last time I was this scared was when I saw the Exorcist on the big screen.

25. actionthom says:

I’m still working my way through my back catalogue for the blog – http://the-ninth-life.blogspot.co.uk/

I’ve finished the ‘A’s!

Me and 2 friends also took Monday off to play 3v3 League of Legends all day (MOBA, MOBA, MOBA, MOBA) and our performance really dropped off throughout the day. I guess it is an endurance sport after all!

• Skabooga says:

Keep doing more! I really enjoy the write-ups. I would not at all be disappointed if you wanted to jump out of alphabetical order every now and then.

• actionthom says:

I think things are going to get a little complicated now. I’m up to BF2 and we agreed we’d play co-op stuff together, so I’ll be playing that with Ben and Neil, but at the same time we have our single-player stuff to do, so there’s going to be a couple of threads running.

Thanks for reading it’s been really fun so far!

26. BockoPower says:

Lord of the Rings Online ! If you can say this game is F2P, because it’s actually free until you get to level 30. I just started playing it 2 months ago and now I bought all expansions and really love it .
    It’s a little hard to find good group of people to play the funny and amazing instances/raids but after The Hobbit movie there are new people playing the game (like me) or some of the old ones play it again. I hope more players will play it to fully enjoy all stuff .

27. flaillomanz says:

Kerbal Space Program and Fallout 1&2. Really digging the “special” random encounters in FO2!

28. abandonhope says:

Finished FTL. Finished XCOM. Finished is a rare word in gaming for me. Played most of Strike Suit Zero. Trying to enjoy Dead Island; am not, really. I am utterly bewildered by Crusader Kings II. Even after watching starter tutorials, I still barely comprehend what it is I should be doing to accomplish the things I know I’m supposed to. I spent 45 minutes just trying to find a suitable wife. May move on to Fallen Enchantress, as I’m still in the mood for strategy.

29. jellydonut says:

EVE Online and Planetside 2.

Planetside 2 isn’t very good or very fun, it’s just another shooter.. But I’m giving it a shot anyway. It’s not like there’s anything else to play.

30. michaelfeb16 says:

In the new year, I put a lot of time into the stuff I got from the steam sale. I finally played dishonored and I played far cry 3, not to mentiona lot of random small games. As I finished up a lot of the backlog, I ened up doing lots of natural selection 2. Although I’ve had great fun with, I’ve just about worn out my interest already.

So I’ve actually been playing some visual novels lately. Now, I guess RPS would call a lot of them ungames or something along those lines (I am playing some Key games, just finished Little Busters and currently working through Rewrite, not something from Eushully which has a lot more actual game mechanics).

31. bladedsmoke says:

Crusader Kings 2 was occupying most of my time when you last asked this, and that remains true now.

I’ve also been playing a bit of Dwarf Fortress recently, but it’s pretty boring as I’ve had the same fort for about 20 in-game years and it’s basically invincible at this point, but I can’t bring myself to Abandon it. And, for nostalgia’s sake, I’ve been playing Baldur’s Gate, which was one of the first PC games I played at the far-too-young age of 10 or 11, the first I fell in love with, and remains my favourite to this day for purely sentimental reasons.

32. Saedz says:

Started playing the Witcher so i can finaly get to play the witcher 2 after that and get ready for the witcher 3.

33. bigjig says:

Playing a bit of Civ 5 Gods and Kings and FTL mostly, and a bit of Dark Souls when I feel like trolling Dickwraiths in the Parish XD

On PS3, a bit of Ni no Kuni, a bit of Okami…

34. Ingall says:

Up until recently I have been playing a bit of FTL which I am about to give up on out of sheer frustration. 50 hours of gameplay for zero wins. :(

When I’m not trying to suffocate aliens who’ve boarded my ship, I’ve been trying out the demo of Euro Truck Sim 2. I was intrigued by a few threads on various forums using words like ‘surprised’, ‘addictive’, ‘satisfying’ etc so thought I’d give it a go. And I must say I was very surprised to find myself addicted to driving the big rigs, which I too found very satisfying. The whole thing seemed so stupid, yet here I was making just one more journey to Paris before heading off to bed.

On the Free-To-Play side of things I’ve been putting more time than I should in to Warframe. It’s just kind of simple, no stress, no fuss, relatively easy gameplay that is great for unwinding at the end of a hard days truckin’

35. Yargh says:

Planetside 2, more Planetside 2, a little bit of Far Cry 3, some Anno 2070 and a session with Omerta followed by more Planetside 2.

PS2 really comes into its own when you can assemble a multi-squad platoon and can afford to no longer follow the mindless blobs of solo players.

36. derella says:

I’ve been re-playing Dreamfall in anticipation of the Kickstarter campaign for Dreamfall Chapters. I forgot how many issues the game had: horrible controls, way too much back-tracking, and AWFUL stealth/combat(especially the latter).

Somehow, in spite of all that, I still love it.

37. agent1138 says:

Dota 2
    Ro2
    Dota 2
    CSGO
    Dota 2

38. dE says:

Personally, I’m wasting most of my time on Path of Exile. It’s a lot of fun.
    Although I can’t see myself playing it for a prolonged time, there are a few things that really rub me the wrong way. I’ll just name my biggest disagreement here: The Lootsystem. It’s far too melee-centric and forces you to either build a tanky “Ranged” character that stands next to the melee guys, or forfeit your loot. I had a situation where a unique dropped for me, even as I instantly made a mad dash for it, by the time I was there, someone else had already snagged it, laughed his ass off and left.
    I’d love to play it with folks other than my close friends, but this mechanic is preventing it. No big deal, I’m wasting enough time on it as is and once my friends give up on it, so will I.

39. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Playing DotP2013 (and making my own overpowered cards with a card creation application). A bit of Kingdoms of Amalur again. Hoping on doing a bit more Minecraft with my fiancée on our co-op world (love the LAN functionality). Otherwise,Super Puzzle Platform Plus.

If Minecraft doesn’t enter the picture and I get tired of KoA I might fire up something else. Maybe Borderlands (haven’t played through the dlc) or Torchlight. Or some more Starwars Republic Commando.

40. psepho says:

Bioshock for the first time. The world is wonderful but the die/respawn system makes the sense of progress a bit weak. Kind of grindy and lightweight.

Played Howling Dogs on the train this morning — very compelling.

Just starting off with Unity of Command — very accessible and engaging.

Finally destroyed W4R D3N in Borderlands 2 last night. Now the game is fun again.

On the free side, I thought Reveal was amazing. Also Hunt For The Gay Planet has destroyed my ability to play KOTOR with a straight face.

Oh, and Super Hexagon. Always, Super Hexagon. As of this morning, 44s on Hexagonest.

41. BreadBitten says:

On PC…

I just made my way through ‘RAGE’ a couple days ago and, despite some control/UI mishaps, found the game to be really enjoyable with some nice character designs and animation and a world I’m interested in seeing more fleshed out for the potential sequel. Not harping on the negatives as it’s been well documented by people more observant than I. Also been playing a lot of ‘Company of Heroes’ (campaign), and I think I felt sixteen year old me crying out in joy through time and space, as he never had the good fortune of being able to play this wonderful game when it came out, much to his desire.

On the box-that-sits-snuggly-underneath-my-television…

Finishing up my fourth (fifth?) playthrough of ‘Max Payne 3′, it’s strange how (as a diehard fan of the series) initial disappointment gave way to me being completely enamored by this game. Even without an open world to play around in, Rockstar have proven themselves the masters of world-building and presentation. The actual mechanics are pretty extraordinary as well, except for glitch-prone “last stand”, but what really seals this game for me is the Houser brothers’ excellent handling of Max as a character and the fact that they somehow managed to outdo the original Max Payne as the most quotable game of all time, personally speaking.

42. EOT says:

Not much really. Limited time at the moment. But I’ve been steadily working through DmC Devil May Cry and quite enjoying it though I still think, as I have from the start, that the timing is slightly off in combat as it doesn’t feel as tight as other games in the series, or even the same genre.As in I constantly feel that commands have to be input too early. Want to uppercut a Titan as he charges you? Well you better release B when he’s a good 30ft away, not when he’s, y’know, /next/ to you. Silly game.

I like new Dante though.

43. Peptidix says:

I have been playing Crusader Kings II, a bit of Patrician III.

No free to play stuff I remember, probably only quickly trying some of the things you linked to.

44. gritz says:

I’m the only person on RPS who’s playing Dragonborn for Skyrim, released yesterday? I thought this place had more Morrowind fans!

45. bangalores says:

I quit gaming because i’m a complete buzzkill.

46. LionsPhil says:

Mechwarrior: Online.
    Left4Dead 2.
    Alien Swarm, since it’s now been long enough that I’ve forgotten the maps again.

And given up on DX:HR after this.

• tobecooper says:

Bah, just let him finish talking and, then, shoot him in the face.
      The poor guy needs to deliver all the exposition he can in that little monologue of his. It’s his only role, and you don’t even want to let him do that.

Respect one-eyed rebels! Free the AI!

• Skabooga says:

The scene was a little cheesy, but such occurrences are few and far between. Stick with it, DX:HR is really fantastic. Even if everyone does dance like a robot when they talk to you.

47. Frank says:

Soon free-to-play: The Banner Saga: Factions. Why: it’s one of the few games with fast-paced turn-based tactics.

48. derbefrier says:

Patiently waiting for my new mobo amd CPU since my mobo took a Shit on me last weekend at a LAN party. Finally made the switch from AMD to Intel with a shiny new I5 3770k ivy bridge. it should all be delivered today and I will continue to feed my new addictions of Path of Exile and Crusader Kings 2.

49. tanelon says:

Here are my answers(RPS headline style):
    I can’t get enough of: “Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition”
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication: “Hotline Miami”
    Expect the unexpected: “Half Minute Hero: SMNCUB”
    Longed for it. Got it. Shit.: “Disciples III: Renaissance”
    Smile, it’s free therapy: “Team Fortress 2″

50. Minsc_N_Boo says:

I have mostly been playing Path of Exile (awesome!!) and Guild Wars 2 (MMO-tastic!)

I keep hoping to see a “Wot I Think” article about PoE. Come on RPS! Show the game some love!! :-)

I know it is still in beta, but I think the game deserves an indepth RPS treatment

Comment on this story