So… What Are You People Playing?

By Jim Rossignol on February 6th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

It’s been a while since we’ve asked you to step onto the soapbox, but it’s finally that time again: you’re constantly reading about what we’re playing – but what about you? What has filled your past few weeks, and why? Are you still playing through that backlog of hastily-purchased Steam games? Have you found some gem that we’ve missed? What has surprised you? What has disappointed you? Tell us now, please do.

I particularly want to hear from those of you playing free-to-play stuff. What has held your attention? Speak!

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. mcwill says:

Since Xmas, I’ve finished off Arkham City, XCOM and Spec Ops: The Line.

Dwarf Fortress remains a permanent fixture in my rotation. And I’ve been ill the last few weeks, so my neglected The Secret World account has finally been getting some attention. AI War sometimes gets a look-in too.

2. aldrenean says:

Multiplayer: Mechwarrior Online is my #1 atm, dipping into Tribes: Ascend now and then since the half XP costs. Also still butting my head against the brick wall that is Dota 2 practice games until better training tools come in.

Singleplayer: Replaying The Witcher 2, especially now that the third is announced. Beat both Quantum Conundrum and Antichamber within the last week. In the middle of Far Cry 3 and Max Payne 3, and still putting an hour into Dungeons of Dredmor every now and then. Sprinkles of Super Hexagon, Anno 2070, and I’m stuck on Tiamat in La Mulana.

3. MrTambourineMan says:

I’m not playing that many games atm (not many as in quantity not hours ), but still
    Doom 2 – I must admit this is “free-to-play” via torrent, I will purchase it on sale but atm it’s a little bit expensive. I never got around to finishing it in 90s and this time I’m playing it via GZDoom (Jizzy doom?) and BrĂ¼tal Doom wad. Awesome game.
    The binding of Isaac – I’ve sunk 180 (on record, a couple of dozen more in offline mode) of hours into it, because I have only 2 goddamn achievements left – Mama’s Boy and Guppy’s Hairball. BTW: Here’s a tale for you – last week I had epic fetus and compas + some other stuff but unfortunately no flying powerup – I was in Womb 2 – 3 DAMN rooms away from mom’s heart + I had bible (instakill on mom’s heart) and you know what? Some piece of shit goddamn spider came from nowhere and fuckin’ touched me and I was done for (for those who don’t play mama’s boy is achievement where you play trough parts of game without taking damage). I was genuinely sad for the remainder of the day…

4. Grygus says:

Vanilla Skyrim, which I have finally completed this morning (defined as main quest, civil war, and all four guild quest lines completed, as well as collection of nine dragon priest masks.) Now that I’m done with that (until Dawnguard goes on sale,) I’m not sure what I’ll do; I can’t remember what life used to be like.

Started playing TERA yesterday, and it’s going to be my go-to “listening to music while zoning out and bashing stuff” game for a while, I think.

5. nindustrial says:

Fallen hard back into Crusader Kings II recently. Picked up the Republic DLC, but haven’t really played it yet. Instead I’ve been stewarding a now third generation of Norse Queens as they hold the title Queen of Norway, Finland, and Sweden, slowly conquering more and more of the former Swedish kingdom until I have enough land to proclaim myself the first Empress of Scandanavia (first two dynasty generations were male, but with elective succession and females with great traits, I’ve become resolute in keeping it a ladies-only affair).

Also getting in the occasional hour or so of Dishonored here and there in the face of my 5+ hour CK2 binges.

And I had a weird dream about Legend of Grimrock last night, despite having never played it. Does that count?

6. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

I recently started playing Super Space Rubbish again.
    It’s a nice, although sometimes frustrating, space game where you split asteroids and bounce off things with well timed enabling of your shield. And the music is quite nice too.

7. DannySpud says:

Just finished Antichamber, that’s a fantastic game though towards the end it starts to become less knowing what to do and more actually doing it that’s the problem.
    Just bought Bioshock 1 and 2. I’ve never played them (I know…) but Infinite looks absolutely amazing so I figured I should probably play the other games before it comes out.

8. DannySpud says:

One game I’ve been playing recently is Kerbal Space Program, it’s such nerdy fun! You build space rockets in an editor similar to the Spore editor and then fill it with cuddly Kerbals and try to get them into space (or at least to not blow them up). There are moons, planets and planets with moons all to try and land on, and you can also try to build orbiting space stations. It’s currently in open alpha, you pay to get it and then future updates are free.

9. Skabooga says:

After hearing the announcement for the sequel, I’ve been playing Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga. Maybe it’s because I was exposed to just the right amount of professional basketball as a child, but I find this game hilarious; I’m chuckling at every other line. It’s so ridiculous that it has crossed the line and become somewhat meaningful.

Also, Skyrim is still waiting to be finished after I put some 70 hours into it. And once those are done, I should really go back to Legend of Grimrock – I got stuck on level four, whereupon other games distracted me and I wandered off, but I really was enjoying myself while I was playing it.

10. hannofcart says:

I recently took to playing ‘Battle for Wesnoth’ on multi-player with a friend. Its been great! I dont know of too many other FOSS games that are this polished and allow for such depth in strategy.

11. guygodbois00 says:

“Find a job – The Sequel” interactive 3D, RPG, puzzle (where I’m puzzled, that is) IRL game.
    Turns out, I’m rubbish at it. I’m inclined to change my Starting Class into Rogue.

12. Tom Servo says:

Finally started playing Dark Souls last week, that will keep me busy for a while. Also been playing too much FIFA 13 on the PS3.

13. Flavioli says:

Played lots of XCOM: Enemy Unknown (is that the proper hyphenation?) last month… switched to FTL this month. Absolutely loving it, especially now that I can manage to consistently win on easy (only took about 20 hours of learning…). Enjoying that too much to wanna try it on Normal difficulty. Tried Spelunky based on recommendations, but not digging it nearly as much as FTL. Also occasionally playing Warlock: Master of the Arcane, currently the most underrated game of 2012, and Morrowind every now and then.

14. Turey says:

For Free-to-play, I’m still playing the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Online 2, with the fanmade English patch. Still waiting for Sega to get on with releasing the darn thing in English-speaking countries. I’d love an article or two about the game on RockPaperShotgun.

I’m also still jumping in the occasional League of Legends game. Have I really been playing this thing on and off since beta? I’m enjoying the Annie graphical rework, as she’s my main.

Other than that, I’ve been playing FTL, Kerbal Space Program, Borderlands 2, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

15. Peacekraft says:

Crusader Kings 2. There is nothing but Crusader Kings 2, now if you will excuse me I am off to kill my relatives.

16. Josh W says:

Apart from dwarf fortress, as mentioned above, I’m slowly pottering about between braid, n (again! always) and whatever I play up my mates house, which has been grimrock, the cave, trine and the boardgame descent, all sort of blurring into the same game.

We’ve also played a bit of playstation allstars, but don’t tell anyone.

If I had more time, I’d want to get back into space chem and uplink too, but I know that when I enter either of those, I don’t come out until it gets light.

hippocrat says:

I am away from home and only have an Asus 1005ha netbook with me. I have been playing Dungeons of Dredmor, Defender’s Quest, and Revenge of the Titans (which, of the three, works the best). I’ve spent most of my game-time, however, playing physical-box-game Blood Bowl: Team Manager; it is a great translation of the tabletop game into an hour-long card-based Bloodbowl season.

18. valz says:

Brogue, FTL, AI War, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Vesper5 (which sucks), Iron Brigade, Magicka. Brogue is my go-to coffee-break/play-while-watching-something-on-the-other-screen game when I’ve had enough FTL for a while.

19. Panoptical says:

Zelda: Skyward Sword on Dolphin @ 1080p, 4x Native 2560×2112, 16xAF, 2xAA (8 is no difference really)