Secrets, Jump Pads, Spinning Blades: Rise Of The Triad

By Adam Smith on February 11th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

I defy anyone to wake up on a Monday morning, bleary-eyed and unsure as to the state of reality, and plunge their face directly into a developer diary for the Rise of the Triad remake. It starts with an Apogee logo, which made me think I’d journeyed back through the decades as I slept, and contains men talking about ‘immersion’, ‘level design’ and the ‘adventure feel’ provided by ‘spinning blades which can chop you into pieces’. Four bewildering minutes, which is precisely what I’d hope for from the resurrection of ROTT. Brace yourself for a video where everything, from designing an environment to discovering a secret, happens at the speed of the past.

I don’t think anyone has moved that fast in an FPS since the mid-nineties.

, , .

1. soldant says:

Has some of the ROTT trappings but I don’t know, it just doesn’t look like ROTT. Also the framerate in the in-game sections always seems to be pretty low and inconsistent to my eye, hope that’s not how it actually plays…

• f1x says:

Always cool to start the morning with some old-fashioned negativity :)

• soldant says:

Well it’s night time here, so I’ve exhausted my supply of optimism :P

• waaaaaaaals says:

I have to agree here, it definitely seems like it’s lost something from the original RoTT but I can’t quite put my finger on what that something is.

• Turkey says:

I think there’s something incredibly bizarre about seeing a modern version of the half abstract type of level design that was mostly due to the limitations of the time when ROTT was first released.

• Trent Hawkins says:

main thing that stands out is the lack of clarity. The original had well lit and colour coded corridors that made seeing enemies and orientating really easy, which is a must with the old land speed of a marine being something like 60 miles per hour.

This has too many explosive flares that do not light up the grim dark shadows that seem to cover the map.

• carpediem01 says:

No, it plays smoothly (guy I know was lucky and got to play it at Quakecon 2011). Also previous gameplay videos they’ve released show it and it’s smooth. Must just be this video..

• DryRoastedLemon says:

“Also the framerate in the in-game sections always seems to be pretty low and inconsistent to my eye, hope that’s not how it actually plays…”

Meh. Really, there is no point commenting on the framerate at this point of the development. Alpha, alpha, alpha. This game is far from done, and optimization is done at the end. Not in the beginning.

Besides, it could very well be that the recorded material comes from:
      a) Different sources (the game running on different PC’s)
      b) Different builds (varying degrees of minor optimization)

• maf54 says:

How can you ascertain the framerate from a video? You realize the video isn’t 60 fps, right? It’s probably more like 23 fps. You can’t tell what framerate the game is running at from a youtube video. It’s all in your head

2. Risingson says:

Indeed it looks more like Drakkan or Heretic 2 than Rise of the Triad, because they haven’t shown the best thing ROTT had: flying eyeballs.

• carpediem01 says:

They’ve confirmed over at their forums that flying eyeballs are back as well as dog mode, god mode, shrooms mode, etc..

• Noodle says:

This! I was thinking, it’s a Hexen or Heretic atmosphere, I really can’t see the ROTT alike. Perhaps it’s because ROTT maps couldn’t actually do anything besides 90 degree angles, but there’s no huge pillars or outdoor sections here.. Hrm.

On the one hand, they’re rebooting a game so old they have to adapt it quite a bit to make any sense of it, but given that, they seem to not really know how to describe what they’ve added besides comparing it to a ‘modern shooter’. Yeah it has traps. Secret passages. Jump pads. So what?
      They actually spend a good two minutes explaining that this game has NPCs and that you have to trigger secret doors yourself rather than have scripted events. Then a guy describes the importance of box testing to make sure it has ‘doors that work’. ‘When all the assets are put into the game, the environment becomes more real.’ This is awful.

This video could describe any generic shooter. I could fit any footage to it and replace ‘jump pads’ with ‘car chase’ or ‘weapon mods’ and have it be as interesting

• Ridye says:

Funny you mention Hexen, because both the images and general ambience actually reminds me of another old PC gem (circa 1995):

Witchaven

It received some bad reviews, but I absolutely loved it. (Unfortunately, could not finished it back then. Perhaps when/if GOG releases it..?)

• Razumen says:

What I wouldn’t do for another Hexen sequel…

3. Doghaus says:

Gibs!

4. Zorn says:

I don’t think I wanted to play a FPS that much since the mid-nineties!

• Gpig says:

Yeah, I didn’t realize i missed fast run speed that much but looking at the video made me want to play it. I think the player height compared to the level geometry is off, but I don’t think that will bug me when I’m playing.

I couldn’t tell if the shooting was actually enjoyable or not. It looked hollow somehow. That’s what I liked about Painkiller was that it had the speed but it also had more satisfying guns and physics than Serious Sam.

• Premium User Badge Jackablade says:

They didn’t actually show many enemies in the levels. Once they’ve got a bunch of guys running around, pretending to die, jumping back up and stealing your rocket launcher, I think the world will feel a bit more full. Plus there’s gotta be loads of those spinning ankh pickups too

5. Crosmando says:

“it will please both old-school gamers and people who like modern shooters”
    UH OH!

6. skyturnedred says:

Dat rattail.

7. sd4f says:

I remember playing RoTT in the 90′s, most notable against wolf3d and doom because there were bullet holes in the walls where you shot and the jumping puzzles, and it had a really cool in game god mode, with some odd sounding yawns at times.

8. Premium User Badge Stense says:

I think the original game is the closest thing to my ‘Gaming Made Me’ game. I really like the look of this remake so far, I’d say it really does get the look and (apparent) feel of the original.

9. Jerion says:

Okay. This was a good start to the morning.

10. Jack-Dandy says:

Looks excellent.
    I like the fact they’re going for an older-style level design instead of just creating arena slaughter-houses and calling it “oldskool”. (Although I do like Serious Sam as well..)

• tangoliber says:

I agree. I love Serious Sam and Painkiller, but they feel nothing like Doom to me… especially because of the level design. Really want the return of keycard level design.

I love fast movement. Doom is mechanically, still the best FPS to date. People who like fast movement speed should play Borderlands 2 though. With Gunzerker’s Incite skill, or Commando’s Onslaught skill, you can move at almost Doom speed while in battles. http://youtu.be/tHyzS-8SAP8?t=1m40s
      I feel like a lot of old school FPS fans aren’t aware of how good BL2 can be with the right guns and skills.

• max_1111 says:

why would i buy a mediocre game and force myself to get to a certain point just so that it would make it feel like i was playing an old-school shooter?

11. Didden says:

Sorry, saw the guns wobbling up and down in classic FPS style and face palmed

12. Flint says:

I’m ridiculously excited about this. I enjoyed ROTT back in the day but it’s hardly among my favourite FPS games. Now, its features and the classic-style gameplay are going to be such a welcome breath of fresh air. Hope this’ll work out well. The only thing I didn’t like the sound of in the video was how the HUD disappears, which I hope is going to be an optional thing – I prefer to have that information there at all times and I’ve never thought that HUDs eat away immersion (if anything, having disappearing/gimmicky HUDs are a bigger bother for me).

13. Scumbag says:

“I don’t think anyone has moved that fast in an FPS since the mid-nineties.”
    Not sure if its the same pace, but most of the outdoor sections in Serious Sam 3 (and all the previous iterations) were quite nippy.

14. Michael Fogg says:

Bitte nein…?

15. ArtyFishal says:

Awesome! Looks seriously old school. Serious Sam and Painkiller are awesome, but they are a beast onto themselves and not really like old school games like Doom, Quake, and ROTT. This looks like a return to classic FPS gameplay.

16. Baines says:

I wish it had more color, instead of the old 16 shades of brown design.

I think some of the problem comes from their lighting choices, as the editor shots are brighter and not all brown. And the concept image was brighter and not-brown as well. But then you get into the gameplay screens, and all the screens are either shades of brown or a very limited set of grey. The rock/dirt texture doesn’t help. It isn’t great on its own, but when everything onscreen uses the same texture (like at the 0:40 section)?

It’s kind of sad when they go back to the original game footage (starting at 2:58), and everything is brighter, clearer, and arguably had more color. Sure, it had a bit of a washed out look, but it also had bright green effects and bright red blood and white baseballs, and there were different colors for the floor, ceiling, and walls. Then around 3:02 the video cuts to the brown and dark and cramped new game footage..

17. Radiant says:

I am going to name all my kids Daniel Hedjazi.
    What an AMAZING name.

18. F3ck says:

I had to mute the vid…suddenly it appeared to be a documentary, chronicling a Danish metal band…and their envisioning of utopia, or perhaps an extreme make-over of their rehearsal space…

19. SuperNashwanPower says:

I think there is a great deal of thought going into the leve… MMMmmmmmMMMM
    Ahem. Sorry. I really like the weapons, they seem satisff….. MMMMMUUUUUUUUUUU

The old school sensibilities really MULLET MULLET MULLET OH MY FUCKING GOD LOOK AT THAT MULLLEEEEEEEET.

Mullet.

20. buzzmong says:

If it’s half as fun as the original ROTT, it will be worth buying.

FPS games that are being fun for the sake of being fun are a bit of a rare breed these days and quite frankly, I want a change from the semi-realistic man shooter types that now typify the genre.

21. The Random One says:

It made me cringe to hear they talk that much about immersion. The game is looking good, but my ROTT memories are not of an immersive experience, and that’s absolutely fine.

“Well, here I have to use this jump pad to get over the spinning blade so I can get to the flying disks that will lead me to the sliding wall hiding the wall of flame creating weapon… GASP I CAUGHT A GLIMPSE OF THE NUMERICAL REPRESENTATION OF MY HEALTH AND NOW MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IS RUINED”