So… What’s Your Favourite Racing Game?

By Jim Rossignol on February 11th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Mine is probably Wipeout 2097, or Ballistics. I do like a bit of rallying, though. It’s in the blood, you see. My Dad used to throw a Mini Cooper around the welsh mountains occasionally. I’d do the same if I hadn’t spent all my money on crisps.

Oh, and there’s a teaser video out for GRiD 2. (It’s spelled like that, you see.) That was the real news, before I got distracted. You can watch that below. Also a ballistics video, because nostalgia.

I bet there won’t be any sonic booms in Grid 2.

, .

1. meepmeep says:

Monkey Race 2 in Super Monkey Ball 2

2. apa says:

rFactor with HistorX mod. I want to race it online but I’m scared to go and join any real race because I’m a noob and can hardly drive a lap without spinning…

3. allsorts46 says:

Blur! My friend and must’ve tried pretty much every game with cars in it, searching for a modern racing game with powerups that supported LAN play, and blur was the only thing that didn’t massively disappoint. It’s not the best if you’re looking for accurate simulation or pure racing, but it’s damn fun.

The only negative point I have to say about it is that it has the most ridiculous key bindings ever (unless you play with a controller).

4. phobic says:

Iracing/Project Cars. Oh and rFactor with the F1 1979 mod.

5. AsamiImako says:

Only one mention of DiRT 3? Blasphemous.
    Something about the DiRT series and a racing wheel just feels amazing. All the jiggling and force feedback let you really feel the track under the tires let loose into a slide in a way that no tarmac racing game does.

6. Infininja says:

I don’t think GRID is spelled like that. It’s DiRT that’s spelled like that.

7. Eight Rooks says:

Wipeout HD/Fury. It is my yardstick against which all other racing games get measured. And generally found wanting. Only real reason I miss owning a Playstation 3.

I remember Ballistics, though I always thought it was just posing. There’s a fine line between actually controlling something at that velocity and just going straight forward – I mean, it’s basically just a tunnel racer same as you get in countless forms on smartphones and tablets, just wound up to ludicrous, near-unplayable speed. Wipeout was always a far, far better marriage between slack-jawed increduility and something your average human being could actually get to grips with, IMO. Hitting Super Zen and above on Zen mode in HD/Fury is still pretty much the only time any videogame has left me genuinely scared I was about to have a heart attack.

particlese says:

I’d have a hard time choosing between Indycar Racing for DOS or the Gameboy’s Super RC Pro-Am, though Ballistics was also tons-o-fun. The nostalgia factor for all those is massive, though. If we go with more modern racing games, I’d probably say Burnout Paradise, though I don’t really consider that racing since I just smash things and go exploring.

9. RiptoR says:

I wonder if I could find my old Ballistics disc somewhere. Loved that game back in the day.

Anyone know if it is available as a direct download somewhere?

strangeloup says:

I just had a look for it myself, as I’d somehow never heard of it before and it looks really neato. I can’t find it at any of the usual suspects, or via Google, but maybe someone else has an idea.

On the other hand you can get it off eBay for not much, and I’m rather tempted.

Toupee says:

Without a doubt, BEETLE ADVENTURE RACING! Sad to see there’s not more love for it.

OK, so the cars themselves aren’t that interesting, but my god, this game has amazing track design. There are so many shortcuts (alternate routes might be a better turn) that you can make each lap an almost entirely different experience. Sometimes the alternate routes helped a lot. Sometimes they didn’t, if you already used up the nitro boxes. I have really fond memories of simply trying to unlock all of the levels, let alone find ALL of the secrets in this game. I’d just about kill for a new Beetle Adventure Racing.

I don’t normally consider myself a huge racing fan, but there are actually a lot of notable titles I’ve played over the years. I particularly enjoyed Sled Storm, Project Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge, Top Gear Overdrive (hot dog car!), Burnout 2 (crash mode!), most of the Mario Karts, and quite recently, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (really ups the ante for kart racers; I love the variety of well thought-out modes). Racing games go great with smokin’ a bowl, in my opinion, or even just idle chatter between friends (with moments of awesome intensity sprinkled in).

But still. Beetle Adventure Racing.

• trjp says:

I loved Beetle Adventure Racing – it was a super-sleeper title at the time and just jam-packed with brilliant stuff, crazy tracks, cool secrets and the handling wasn’t actually bad either.

I suspect if either of us were to play it now tho, we’d be a bit shocked :)

11. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

NFS: Most Wanted. The first one, that is.

I would say Destruction Derby 64, but it’s only kinda a racing game. I still boot up PJ64 and play it even now though.

12. Wolvaroo says:

Without a shadow of a doubt: Richard Burns Rally. Rallysim.fr is the place to be if you enjoy RBR.

I feel my $300 race wheel with clutch and H-shifter is completely justified on that game alone.

13. trjp says:

A quick note to people bringing-up older cars – honestly, I played them all too but really, nothing made before the XBOX era is worth playing these days – we’ve come a long way.

Also – the ‘free’ game at GMG today is Supercars V8 Next Sumsuchtihng which is a spinoff of the TOCA engine and pretty decent ‘for free’. Turn off all driving aids, enable ‘wet track’, laugh your balls off (if you don’t have balls, buy some and pretend).

14. LuNatic says:

Need for Speed IV: High Stakes. Honourable mentions to GRID, Blur, Hi-Octane and NFS:Most Wanted(the original).

Dishonourable mentions to the Criterion made NFS games.

15. Fenix says:

Stunts. The editor was incredible for the time.

Followed by NFS: Porsche

16. Samwise Gamgee says:

Colin McRae Rally 2
    Richard Burns Rally (with wheel and pedals)
    TOCA 2
    Burnout Paradise
    NFS Shift

17. Screamer says:

Last I heard there was no in-car view in Grid 2, and I stopped paying attention to it.

18. Ludomation says:

Hi-Octane.

strangeloup says:

I think the only recent Car Wot Goes Fast games I’ve liked have been Forza and (to a slightly lesser extent) Project Gotham. I played Dirt 3 a bit but the decent rally bits weren’t enough of a focus for me. Beyond that, it’s going back to the PS1/2 Wipeout games, and Sega Rally on the Saturn.

Used to quite like Gran Turismo and a few others but I’m not sure I’d go back to them for more than a bit of nostalgia.

20. pepper says:

I love the Race series games(Simbin), pretty much Race 07 with all its addons(GTR Evolution, Race On, STCC2 etc, all of em).

From a perspective of ye old, then I played a lot of Need For Speed 2 Special Edition, which had a few extra tracks.

I also played a lot of Half-Life: Rally, which actually was really good as far as a rally game went:

Actually, the best way to play the game was steering on the mouse and have the mouse buttons be the throttle and brake, you could gain some serious speed in corners on other drivers. It got me in first place a lot.

Wow, I really mis Half-Life rally….

21. Engonge says:

My favourite is revolt.

22. astrostl says:

Coming out of left field: Excite Truck. The only game I really enjoyed on my Wii, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Custom Mastodon soundtrack on an SD card was a major contributing factor, I suspect.

#2 would probably be Mario Kart DS. Specifically because of – not in spite of – snaking.

23. tomek says:

Grand Prix Circuit
    4D Sports Driving / Stunts
    Need for Speed (3DO/PC)
    Interstate76 (it has cars right?)

24. Risingson says:

I arrive late to this discussion. Ok, I’m old, so I have a mix in my head with a lot of games of game history.

- Scalextric for Spectrum. The first time I could play against a friend in our custom tracks.
    - Super Mario Kart.
    - Lotus III. Beautiful Scroll.
    - Lamborghini American Challenge, one of the most beautiful near-futuristic racing games ever made.
    - The Rally series by Europress. I think the 1998 one was the one I remember most.
    - Nascar Racing series, which were HARD
    - The Screamer games. First time there were so many textures in a DOS game.
    - Slipstream 5000, the best of its kind
    - The first Need for Speed
    - Ironman Super Off Road, again, the best of its kind
    - Though Death Rally comes close to a second position
    - World Rally Championship for the arcade
    - Sega Rally Championship, which was also very beautiful
    - Burnout Paradise, which is simply fun
    - Grid, which is a marvel.

Ham Solo says:

GRID, also NFS Hot Pursuit 2 and FlatOut 2/Ultimate Carnage.
    I also like Blur, but it’s one of the worst console ports ever.