Ulterior Design: Anodyne

By Adam Smith on February 11th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I have a problem. In fact we all do, but it’s a good problem to have. The problem is this: there are far too many games to write about. I can’t open my inbox without finding news of something that deserves at least a paragraph of attention and more often than not there’s something that I’d like to dedicate a few hours and a thousand words or so to. Anodyne’s demo was like an injection of surreality and mystery straight into the brain-stem and now that the full game is out, I’m determined to play it. But when? Perhaps you have already taken the journey? Any thoughts? There’s a tantalising trailer below.

Anodyne is available now for $8, on Windows, Mac and Linux. It also has a Steam Greenlight page.

, , .

1. Yargh says:

I feel the need to clone myself if I’m to have any hope of playing all the interesting games out there.

2. Noburu says:

Worth noting from the Greenlight page:

Use coupon “GREENLIGHTSTEAMTIME” at our Fastspring store for 15% off!!!! (But in exchange, tell 3 of your friends about Anodyne!) We’ll get you a Steam key if it gets greenlit!

LTK says:

Hmm, why does it have to scroll the screen every time instead of just centering on the character?

• wallytheboogiebug says:

It’s a deliberate design decision to emulate the old Gameboy Zelda games. This game is basically the Gameboy Zelda games without the extra items and more card collecting.

Flit says:

It’s an aesthetic choice. I like it. This way the world is framed like a painting rather than constantly flying by (it’s so pretty!).

4. Manburger says:

I enjoyed the demo; the game has a thick dreamy atmosphere and solid Zelda-mechanics. Deffo thinking about checkin’ it out!

5. Lucas Says says:

Having played the full game, the Links Awakening meets Yume Nikki comparison is so spot on as to almost derail all other comparison. It’s delightfully abstract, occasionally very disturbing, and a lot of fun if you like the whole Zelda-alike puzzle dungeons.

6. Slinkyboy says:

I can’t find info on item equips you get from dungeons. do we a hookshot or some kind of musical instrument? i don’t feel like look everywhere. someone who played it tell me. thanks!

• Amanamunos says:

There actually are no extra items, simply your melee weapon which comes with three different upgrades. And then the ability to jump.

I hope that doesn’t discourage you, the game is both fun and challenging. The third upgrade for your weapon adds a very unique twist to the end game/meta game/ after you beat the game game. If you love exploring, you’re going to love the extra content after beating the game.

7. seagaia says:

Thanks for the article, Adam. Hope you like the rest of the game if you get to play!

-Sean

8. Old Rusty Dusty says:

I picked this up earlier today, it’s definitely some good stuff. Very much A Link to the Past on a smaller scale, but a whole lot weirder and certainly interesting. I’m still not even sure what exactly the story is about yet but it’s definitely thought-provoking. Also, the music in particular is quite excellent and really fits the foreboding aura of the game as well.

9. Chris says:

Who in their right mind calls a game Anodyne?

Why not go the whole hog and call it “MEH!”