Batman: Arkham Allegations

By Alec Meer on February 12th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Appropriate sequel news screenshot!

We may be in for a third Batscapade from the Arkhamverse, according to Warner suits in the company’s latest earnings call, and it’ll probably be this year too.

There’s almost nothing to go on, other than Warner’s Chief Financial Officer John K. Martin letting slip that “and we also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise.” This means it’s up to us to let slip the dogs of speculation.

Batman: Arkham Nation

Like Batman: Arkham City, but there’s countryside and gas stations and things, and if you try to go to the sea you get tasered by dolphins in Joker costumes.

Batman: Arkham World

Choose to play as British Batman, Belgian Batman, Bangladeshi Batman, Bahrain Batman, Bahamas Batman or the GameStop-exclusive Bermudan Batman, with limited edition DLC shorts.

Batman: Arkham Village

What is the terrible secret behind the greengrocer’s overpriced lemons? Why does the postman always look a bit sweaty after visiting Mrs Dobbins’ house? Can Batman possibly climb all 48 steps to the top of the church spire?

Batman: Arkham Homeopathy Clinic

Collecting all 30,000 hidden vials of plain water with made-up names unlocks the exclusive Alternative Bat-Therapy Costume and the ‘Credulous Idiot’ achievement.

Batman: Alan Arkin

Enduring rumour actually has it that the next Batman title will be a Silver Age-set game, which is a lovely idea, though I can’t help but feel that might be at odds with the Arkham universe/branding – not sure they’d want to drop the grim’n'gritty modern-day stuff, given the Nolan movies are Joe Public’s major concept of Batman these days.

Also VG247 says Rocksteady may not be developing this one. I’m OK with that actually – I’d really like to see what they do with something else now.

, , , .

1. MuscleHorse says:

The so called Silver-Age concept sounds too wonderful to be true. Which is probably the case.

Still, thoroughly enjoyed the previous two games and, contrary to popular belief, more is more.

• Moni says:

A move to the Silver-age would be good, if just to move away from all the sexual epithets, bitch.

• Teovald says:

To be honest I am not sure what kind of non sexist insult a hardened sociopath fighting catwoman could use.

• MuscleHorse says:

Oh, you bloody woman!

• gritz says:

These same hardened sociopaths don’t bother using sexually degrading epithets for Batman or any of the other male characters, how nice of them!

• TheTedinator says:

What could they say?

• Alevice says:

Hit me like a lady, FAGMAN!

• gritz says:

These violent prisoners are crude enough to call all female characters various gendered epithets, but at least they have the decency and tact not to disparage Batman’s relationship with his young ward.

• HothMonster says:

First time I’ve seen someone complain that the word faggot isn’t being used in a video game.

darkChozo says:

Well, that’s easy to solve. Just give Batman: Arkham Larger Locale multiplayer and VOIP support.

• gritz says:

@HothMonster: It’s not so much calling for its inclusion as it is questioning its absence, given the common justification for the female gendered insults.

• Bhazor says:

At 3:02 “You’re gonna be my bitch Wayne”

So. Yeah.

/thread

Catwoman was frickin’ ridiculous though.

• woodsey says:

Well, yeah… because they’re men as well. That’s kind of how that crap works in real life.

• exogen says:

shut the fuck up faggot

• Ruffian says:

Alright, I’m not trying to be a misogynistic here, (and I do agree that the sexist insults in the game were a bit over the top) but it makes sense to a degree for a bunch of beefy lunkhead prison henchmen types to be less scared on sight, of a hot chick in a catsuit with a dinky whip than a big burly dude in a spiky bat suit with a gruff stern ass creepo voice. That said, they certainly could’ve hurled more derogatory insults towards batman for sure. Also robin was dlc and not in the actual standalone game at all so….There’s not really that relationship between batman and robin to poke fun of – if it was I’m sure at the very least joker would’ve made a crack about it.

• gritz says:

@Ruffian: Did you actually play Arkham City? Robin shows up about halfway through the game.

Arathain says:

This is a trick question right? The same epithets as they would use for a male character, of course.

RaveTurned says:

Set in the Silver Age, yet gritty in the lineage of the previous games…

Batman Noir, anyone?

• Urthman says:

Wasn’t LEGO Batman 2 the Silver-Age Batman game?

2. Gnoupi says:

I’m only playing Batman: Arkham World if you can play as Le Batman.

Llewyn says:

Well, Alec did include Belgian Batman in his list.

Presumably there will be an achievement for popping the requisite number of Joker Walloons.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

You can tell the difference by the little Poirot moustache underneath the mask.

• SF Legend says:

Batman: Arkham Subreddit

• DarkeSword says:

The Batman of France is Nightrunner.

3. Cooper says:

Bahamas Batman
    (with shorts)
    Surfing.
    With the Joker.

4. deadly.by.design says:

The Arkham games seem like great titles, but I just can’t bring myself to get into them. I tried starting Asylum on literally three separate occasions, and it never stuck. It’s kind of baffling, but I’ll admit that my gaming habits have grown increasingly sporadic in recent years. Something about being busy, married and 30, possibly…

• ResonanceCascade says:

I had trouble getting into Asylum as well, but after about the third try, something clicked. Then I blew through both it and Arkham City. I definitely rank both among the best of the last several years.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Well I’m all of those things as well, but absolutely made time for both games. I think you have to enjoy the combat parts though, if you don’t (I did, very much) then you’ll find there’s too much of it to get to the meat of the game.

5. feffrey says:

Hopefully it won’t use GFWL.

• povu says:

I’d be really surprised if it did. I was surprised with Arkham City having it too, but now that AC has had issues with savegames disappearing due to GFWL and once again now there being GFWL problems in numerous games, surely they must realize that using GFWL isn’t acceptable anymore.

• HothMonster says:

Don’t all WB games use GFWL? I thought they had some agreement/contract with Microsoft.

• Godwhacker says:

Unlikely, now that Windows 8 has XBox Live…

6. Kaira- says:

Arkham World? So, Batman Inc. basically?

7. MuscleHorse says:

Ooh, and just realised I’m yet to play City”s DLC. Off to the (digital) shops I go.

8. Alexander says:

BatmanVille. you heard it here first. I think.

• db1331 says:

Hey, can you do me a favor and BatUp my BatWall on my BatPage? I just need a few more BatTokens and I can purchase the next addition for my BatCave.

9. db1331 says:

I wish they would let the guys at Rocksteady do a Spiderman game. I mean, you could practically just dump Noir Spidey into Arkham City, do a few tweeks (swap grapnel for web swinging), and you’d have easily the best Spiderman game in years (though that’s not saying much).

• ulix says:

You do know that Rocksteady is owned by Warner, which also owns DC – the comic book publisher behind Batman.
      Spiderman on the other hand is part Marvel, which is owned by Disney.

In other words: will never happen (unless Disney buys Warner or vice versa).

Lambchops says:

Batman: I Can’t Believe It’s Not Arkham?

Gap Gen says:

B-man stands for Bitch-man, right? Or is this not a can of worms that needs re-opening?

12. Engonge says:

This game is the one where you mash buttons to teleport from one enemy to the other right?I’ll pass..

• Chris D says:

While the games may take some liberties with what is physically possible if you try to get through by mashing buttons you are going to die a whole lot.

Vandelay says:

Having watched my brother play this game, I can tell you that is not true; mashing works pretty well.

Having said that, if you want to fight in style (or play the challenge mode,) then timing attacks and mixing in your gadgets is mandatory. Just because some people play the game in a dull way it doesn’t mean the combat is bad.

• Asurmen says:

What difficulty did he have it on? Because I’ve always gone hardest and yeah, just mashing doesn’t work, especially when there’s guys with stun sticks and knives involved.

• gritz says:

Wishlist:

-Less chatter. I like the richness of plot and setting detail, but it’s hard to feel like the broodiest lonley dark knight when every 5 meters your microphone picks up another conversation between Thug 1 and Thug 2.

-Dump GFWL, like everyone else has by now.

-No more extended gliding sessions. It’s just tedious.

-Better gender politics.

-More interaction with the DC universe outside of Batman. Maybe have Supes show up for a cameo? Or a mission where you lure badguys into the open for Green Arrow to pick off?

-Combat is already pretty great, but it would be better with more varied kicking and punching. Right now, there’s one button for attack and one button for counter and several buttons for special moves. Give attack two buttons and open up a lot more depth.

-More detectiving. There’s plenty of puzzle solving and riddles, but relatively little looking at crimscenes and analyzing clues. And when you do “scan” clues, the canned dialogue takes over and tells you exactly what you need to know. Give the player some real mysteries to puzzle over and actually feel like the World’s Greatest Detective.

• Chris D says:

Hmmm…Would a second attack button actually add a lot more depth? I guess you could make fast/weak and slow/hard attacks but in that case your effectively trading time for increased damage and the existing abilites provide ways to do that already. Alternatively you provide situations in which it’s more advantageous to use the second attack but we also pretty much have that already with counters and some of the other moves. How would you see the second attack working?

• gritz says:

I’m no fighting game expert, but a fast/slow or high/low option could vary things a bit.

Having a one-size-fits all punch button and nearly a dozen ignorable special attacks makes the combat feel more button-mashy than it should. But maybe second attack would add complexity but not necessarily depth, so I dunno.

13. portchd says:

I would seriously play the hell out of bahamas batman….

Martel says:

I find myself very interested in Bangladeshi Batman. Maybe they can add a dance mode during fights so I can get my wife to play too

• portchd says:

Oh no, thats one step away from the kinect version of the new batman game…

14. LennyLeonardo says:

My money is still on Batman: Miskatonic University.

• Chris D says:

If it’s not this we should Kickstart it immediately.

• Shuck says:

Have you seen Mike “Hellboy” Mignola’s “Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham” comic? Great fun – a 1920s romp in which all the Batman characters are given Lovecraftian twists. It would make for a pretty good game setting.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Aaaa! Bought. Thank you very much, I had no idea this existed.

15. Sparkasaurusmex says:

FYI: Steam has Arkham Asylum for 5 bucks right now

16. Synesthesia says:

haha, bangladeshi batman. Reminded me of this, for any spanish speakers here!

17. Hoaxfish says:

Batman: Ar kham on, you know you want to.

DrAmateurScience says:

Some days you just can’t get rid of a bomb.

19. mckertis says:

While Arkham games are great, Rocksteady seems really intent on overstaying their welcome, and getting into goodwill debts.

20. DickSocrates says:

If it is a different developer, I would welcome a return to the more compact, Metroid-like design of Arkham Asylum. It is easily the better game of the two, much more focused and just better designed. I want a good game more than I want a large game. Not that City was even that large, it was spread too thin.

I won’t go into it now, but City is a deeply flawed game with some terrible pacing problems and side missions/collectables being very poorly integrated into the main experience. Whose smart ideawas it to award audio reels for completing totally unconnected tasks? And put that against the carefully thought out drip feed of them in AA which revealed pertinent background info at the correct point in the story.

• RodHope says:

Thanks for not going into it.

JohnS says:

The plot in Arkham City was a big letdown.

[Spoilery discussion!] Early on it’s established that Protocol 10 is the big secret we have to reveal (“Great! Let’s get detectiving!”), but then the vast majority of the game is spent finding the cure/the guy who can make the cure/the ingredient we need for the cure/the guy who stole the cure, before Protocol 10 is revealed to us, not through detectiving but because *it started happening*, and we spend 30 minutes foiling it and 30 minutes working towards the damn cure again. It didn’t help that Protocol 10 turned out to be really really lame.

The game would’ve been so so much better, if it had been mainly about Batman working out the mystery behind the shadowy conspiracy who let Arkham City happen (or something a little more fleshed out). Now it was just about Batman trying to take back his cure from the schoolyard bullies who kept holding it over his head and throwing it between each other.

• Godwhacker says:

=SPOILER WARNING=

But who will Batman fight, now that The Joker is dead?

…and the answer is The Joker again, because of those highly convenient Lazarus Pits

• Hulk Handsome says:

I did go into it, in a rather moody blog post:

I did not enjoy Arkham City very much.

Thirith says:

Where’s Batman from Batman? Seriously, you’re supposed to be professionals!

Also: Arkham Village sounds like a fascinating Batman/The Prisoner mashup. I’d be up for that!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

“Be seeing you!”

“No you won’t… I’m Batman.”

• InternetBatman says:

I would only be up for Arkham Village if it included the Arkham Village People.

22. Deano2099 says:

Batman: Arkham Horror – as Bruce Wayne takes on Cthulu in turn-based boardgame format.

darkChozo says:

Now I want an Arkham Horror variant where you play as thugs instead of investigators and Batman is the Great Old One.

Batman punches out 1d6 thugs each round. (yay moderately mixed references)

23. brulleks says:

Batman: Arkham arkham arkham arkham arkham chameleon

24. devronius says:

Personally hoping for something with more puzzles, detective stuff, and stealth, rather than punching dudes in the face.

25. oyog says:

I’ve recently been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with my girlfriend and I keep imagining a Buffy game based on the Batman: Arkham Asylum mechanics. I dunno, it just seems like it would work.

Vandelay says:

I believe there was a Buffy game in console land many years ago. Think it was called Chaos Bleeds, or something along those lines. I have no idea whether it was any good.

If you are watching it for the first time, you are in for a real treat.

Vandelay says:

Was there not talk of a Victorian era Batman game that was canned? That could be a potential fit to the Arkham formula, even if it was set in a different universe.

Not sure what else they could do set in the same universe. Perhaps drop the Arkham and call it Batman: Gotham City, but the story was pretty much wrapped up in the last game.

dare says:

BATFACE

err, no?

28. Jason Moyer says:

How about just dropping all the goth crap and making a game based on Adam West batman or The Brave And The Bold?

• Asurmen says:

You mean all the stuff that’s made Batman Batman for past 20-30 years, and is so out of touch with what people know of Batman that no one would touch it? You mean that Batman?

• gritz says:

I mean, Batman has been dark since 1970, when O’Neill and Adams returned the character to his grim roots. It’s the campy Batman of the 50′s and 60′s that is the outlier.

• Jason Moyer says:

Brave And The Bold is a fairly new thing, and also awesome.

29. gritz says:

But prowling the city and swinging from skyscraper rooftops is something that is quintessentially Batman. Nothing in Arkham Asylum really captured that.

• gritz says:

Luckily, Arkham City had all of those elements in addition to capturing the feel of a hopelessly broken Gotham City, one of the most critical elements of what makes Batman Batman.

• HothMonster says:

I’ll agree the story and city don’t mesh well. Though I think both were done marvelously, they just detract from each other. The open world interrupts the flow of the story and the one-night-ever-advancing-story restricts the open world.

I know AA was an open world but there was no reason to go walking around areas when you didn’t need to be. AC wants you to explore but nothing can really happen because the whole game takes place in a night so none of the side quests can really lead to anything worthwhile.

AC is cool and it’s a decent justification for giving you access to just a small civilian free area of Gotham but they should have kept you focused or tossed in tons of extra villains into side quests, not both.

30. Krayy says:

I’ve got a copy of “Gotham by Gaslight” that I read quite regularly, and a Victorian themed Batman skulking around Ye Olde London Towne bringing down Springheel Jack, The Wolfman, Mr Hyde et al would be frickin’ awesome. A simple cross of Dishonoured and the Arkhams.

31. Dthen says:

Some of the ideas in the article are just plain batty…

32. Urthman says:

Yes, but…Batmobiles! And Batplanes and Batsubmarines and Batcycles. Imagine a GTA game with good combat and with civilians you actually had to protect.

33. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

They won’t use GFWL again thats retired now by MS but Rocksteady made the Arkham games so no Rocksteady is not a good sign is it!

34. Suits says:

Played both Arkhams to 100% completion, but i do feel there needs to be a different setting, the Asylum interior was basically the same as City’s and the exterior was just enlarged

35. Rath says:

I’d like to see it use the Batman Beyond future setting as a framing device, where the various trophy cases and costumes on display in the Batcave each represent something about Bruces’ past that Terry has to coax out of him for information about a resurgent threat that’s popped up in the future.

Failing that, they could take on the No Mans’ Land story in order to have the whole of Gotham turn into a huge post-apocalyptic ruin.

36. Faren22 says:

Batman: Arkham Ark

With his dying spasms, the Joker triggered a doomsday device that floods the entire world. Batman must pilot the BatShip around to different islands, picking up every survivor he finds – including criminals. Think Wind Waker with the Dark Knight.

Lars Westergren says:

Or Waterworld. Batman wistfully climbs up the mast once a day and cape-glides for a few seconds, fantasizing about the buildings of Gotham City. But it is not the same anymore.