Star Trek To Feature Ship From Star Trek

By John Walker on February 13th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Star Trek has been in development for over four hundred and fifty thousand years now. The game’s set between the two J.J. Abrams films, yet still calls itself simply “Star Trek”, presumably in a bid to be as impossible to Google for as is humanly imaginable. (They may as well have called it “Britney Spears”.) The release is currently set for April 23rd in the States, then it slowly drifts to Europe by the 26th. And today they’re promising us “the opportunity to explore the USS Enterprise.” And, the slow drip of two new screenshots (clickem to biggem).

The degree to which they’re going to offer that isn’t clear. I really hope it doesn’t mean you can take a turbo lift from the bridge to the transporter room, and similar, and that’s your lot. If they’re really creating the whole Enterprise, and making it fully explorable, that’d not only explain why the game’s taking so long, but also be a really attractive offer to ST nerdholes. The slightly vague suggestions in a recent press release offer hope:

“Their battles will take them into familiar locations, like the bridge, transporter room and the engine room – but also deep into many areas of the ship that have never been seen on film before, including the Enterprise’s turbolift shafts, observation lounge, engineering decks and officer’s quarters.”

Which does sound promising. But their claim that “what fans have known of the iconic starship has largely been limited to what is seen in movies and on television” really does seem to be ignoring much of the 52 (no, really) Star Trek games that have come before it. I recall crawling through many a shaft in various Star Trek FPSs.

Says exec producer Brian Miller,

“The Enterprise is not just a ship – she is one of the most important characters in all of Star Trek. Our goal from day one was to make sure that the Enterprise looks, feels and even sounds as true to life as anything players have ever seen. Hopefully, players will come away feeling as if they’re ready to be part of the crew themselves!”

Ha ha ha! Yes, Brian, you silly goose. If the game causes them to become seriously deluded and in need of immediate psychological intervention, it surely will.

In the game you play as both Kirk and Spock, combating the dastardly ways of Gorn, who is off one of the original series episodes. “Arena” apparently. I’ve watched TOS episodes an awful lot during my life, and I’m fairly certain they only ever made three of them. The one with the green lady, the one where Kirk fights Spock, and the one with the killer pizzas. I file it under “Poddington Peas”, which I’ve seen three times, and each time was about the peas forgetting another pea’s birthday.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. The JG Man says:

I remember playing Elite Force, an FPS set on board Voyager. Pretty fun! More specifically, its expansion pack allowed you to freely roam the ship. Definitely a neat feature I wasted time on. If it’s anything as thorough as that, this could certainly be a nice little feature.

• Tuskin38 says:

When I was feeling down, I’d install the mod that stopped you from being arrested and start shooting up the bridge crew.

• neonordnance says:

STV:EF is my second-favorite game of all time, right behind Fallout New Vegas. Not coincidentally, it’s the game I learned modding on. The Q3 engine remains one of the easiest engines to mod and map for that I have ever encountered. I know that Doom 3 was super-easy to map for as well (the mapping software is embedded in the engine, devs take note!!!!), but I don’t know if Rage continues that legacy. My gut tells me no.

But anyway, I loved that game. Solid campaign, great mix of old enemies and new species, diverse, well-designed weapons, and some fantastic multiplayer maps. That, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast were basically Raven’s last hurrah.

• Armitage says:

The fact that you want it, and said it, means it definitely wont have this. Also, movie video game.

• Xercies says:

“Now Tell Me About Your Mother” Damn you Doctor Damn you I blew up your shp by turning on the self destruct and yet your here telling me to talk about my mother!

Yeah Elite Force was great to explore, I really wanted to get the sequel just because apparently you could explore the TNG enterprise as well… unfortunately never got it.

2. DrScuttles says:

There’s also that episode with the Tribbles.

• John Walker says:

Yeah, but no one’s ever actually seen that episode on television. Only clips of it. And Trials And Tribble-ations.

• DrScuttles says:

It’s the Del Boy Fell Through The Bar of Star Trek.

And Spock made a face.

• guygodbois00 says:

Made me laugh. Extra points for spilling my drink.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Don’t forget that episode where Spock gets stuck in his new leather trousers and he pours talcum powder all over his legs. I think that’s also the one where Kirk says “how you doin’?”.

It’s called The one with the anomaly that makes Kirk’s best friend who you’ve never seen before get super powers and go mad.

3. Risingson says:

What a colourful outer space! Indeed in the screenshots they seem to have wooden flooring in the Enterprise. Which is a bore to maintain, I tell you.

4. Inigo says:

In the future space will be grainy and shadows will have serrated edges.

5. Llewyn says:

I suspect “explore the USS Enterprise” is along the lines of “explore the Citadel”, probably using the ME2 approach where it consisted mostly of several identical stairwells and some depressingly empty shops, making the whole thing resemble an early-90s small town shopping centre.

6. Gap Gen says:

I hear there’s an achievement in this for hitting return.

7. Sharzam says:

Iam so conflicted, on the one hand we have Elite Force which proves a Trek themed shooty shooty bang bang works, and on the other hand we have uh Star Trek ‘re-imagining’ which has sod all to do with proper star trek.

Arghhhh.

8. Surlywombat says:

Hmm, set between the two new movies you say? Then I am wondering why I can see the characters and the ship in the screenshots with out the lens flare in the way.

9. Sharzam says:

OMG OMG OMG it is finally happening one of the greatest games of all time is on.

Now to convince the kiddie winks to actually play it so i can wave a finger at them “see thats how you make a game”

10. Triplanetary says:

I like how they’re pretending that the Enterprise of the Abrams movie is the Enterprise that Trekkies care about. Abrams’ Enterprise has a beer brewery instead of an engine room. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

11. Kollega says:

I’m just going to drop in and say that “Star Trek shooter” is a bit of a misnomer, since original Star Trek was about exploring the fascinating new horizons and how science and progress will lead to all men’s happiness – not about shooting people in the face. But i guess in this day and age, especially in the land of videogaming, “science and progress” doesn’t sell as well as shooty-shooty-bang-bang.

• Triplanetary says:

As I keep trying to tell people (I care way too much), the Abrams movie carries absolutely none of the original spirit of Star Trek. One throwaway line about Starfleet being a “peacekeeping and humanitarian” force, followed by two hours of generic sci-fi action.

• mikmanner says:

I agree, but it’s pretty fun at the same time, I liked it as a film but I don’t think anyone is gong to repeat what made TNG good. For me TNG is hilarious to laugh at (especially when Worf is on the screen) but at the same time it’s a compelling and thought provoking series, a great mix.

• GreatGreyBeast says:

Indeed. And it’s telling that they chose the Gorn to be the pop-up targets, when the whole point of the Gorn episode was that it was a misunderstanding and Kirk spares the one he was supposed to kill.

• Moraven says:

Aye. Which made Star Trek IV rather great, since it did not involve big explosions and combat. Conflict has combat but combat and action should not be the entire movie.

• AlienMind says:

Well, there was Star Trek: Elite Force before which was partly about shooting people in the face. But it also had loads of talking moments. And I fear this one has zero talking moments.

12. mehteh says:

Its always nice to see shadows in a screenshot remind me of console focus games. oh, its coming out to consoles too….

13. GreatGreyBeast says:

Uh, exactly what corner of the turbolift shafts, observation lounge, engineering decks and officer’s quarters have we not seen on film before? I mean, unless you’re only counting the Abrams film, I’m pretty sure we’ve had a good look at them all.

• rawrty says:

I was wondering this too, but since the modern day Star Trek franchise seems to pretty much completely ignore the fact that Star Trek existed before the Abrams movie, I’m not surprised.

14. guygodbois00 says:

After reading about it around the net, I’m afraid it will boldly go where every movie franchise turned to action pc+consoles game has gone before.

15. Zetetic says:

I reckon that a Star Trek game called Britney Spears would be quite easy to Google.

16. Barberetti says:

I can barely contain my excitement at the thought of being able to experience the Enterprise’s turbolift shafts in all their glory.

17. Prime says:

All this talk of ships to wander about in has me puzzled. Is there no mod or other fan project out there that lets you do this in the same way Elite Force did with Voyager and, to a lesser extent, the Enterprise E? I’d have thought that with all the Trek love out there we’d be drowning in the things by now, Minecraft projects notwithstanding.

18. Yglorba says:

Although wandering the ship sounds fun, that’s… not exactly what I’m looking for in a Trek game. The premise of the series isn’t exactly “boldly explore the inside of the USS Enterprise.”

19. luckystriker says:

As long as i can scream “She’s breaking up Captain, and can’t take anymore!” and there’s consequences in the game I am fine.

Comment on this story