Rebellion’s Mystery Game… Sniper Elite With Zombie Nazis

By Nathan Grayson on February 14th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Come on now. That seems entirely unnecessary, Mr Soldier Man.

A couple weeks ago, Richard – that mad master of international intrigue and puns, our resident pioneer of spiderfear – stumbled across a teaser video for a mystery project from Sniper Elite creator Rebellion/2000AD. It was all spooky-like and featured running, which is the kind of thing that prompts one of three responses from a person: 1) Zombies? 2) Zombies! or 3) [Drawn-out sigh] …Zombies. And yep, sure enough, here’s Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army. You can probably guess what it’s about, but just in case, a trailer stirs beneath the break’s loamy soils, courtesy of Digital Spy.

As opposed to a full-blown spin-off, Rebellion’s billing this one as a standalone expansion with a focus on – you guessed it – co-op:

“Featuring a co-op campaign for 1 to 4 players, Nazi Zombie Army is a horrifying new stand-alone expansion of the award-winning Sniper Elite series. In the dying flames of World War II, a despairing Hitler unleashes one final, unholy gamble – a legion of undead super soldiers that threatens to overwhelm the whole of Europe. You are Karl Fairburne – the sniper who shaped world history. You are one of the last living souls in Germany. You must team up or die. American, German, Russian – previous military allegiances no longer matter. Now it’s just the living versus the dead. Only a Sniper Elite with nerves of steel and a steady aim stands a chance against Hitler’s Nazi Zombie Army!”

But what if my aim is made of steel and my nerves are a bit too steady? WHAT THEN.

Anyway. The most (or least, depending on your perspective) promising bit here is that Rebellion’s taking full advantage of NZA’s outlandish twist, replacing Sniper Elite’s old cast of WWII standbys with “occult commanders, roof-jumping snipers, undead suicide infantry, and worse.” Meanwhile, staples like the X-ray kill cam are making a return, as is a focus on wind, gravity, stability, velocity, and the like. That said, it also sounds like a number of the more standard shooter elements Adam and Jim weren’t so fond of in Sniper Elite V2 are coming along for the harrowing sprint, so sniping might be the bread-and-butter, but it’s not the entire meal.

NZA will be out on February 28th. It’s certainly not the most original idea for a shooter series off-shoot, but who knows? It could be amusing. I’d like to see games try some other alternate history idea already, though. One that’s not dinosaurs. Or aliens. Or robots. I know, I know, I just eliminated three whole things, but I think – by the grace of god – an entire creative industry can figure something out.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

JiminyJickers says:

Im dead tired of zombies now. Wish they chose another enemy.

amateurviking says:

They really are flogging the proverbial undead donkey

• Chalky says:

Anyone with braiiiiinnnnnnss can see it’s just people jumping on the dayz bandwagon.

• Kambyero says:

I like Rebellion’s PSP games, but their larger system releases have just been stillborn. Hopefully the studio will still be alive after this game shuffles into release.

Lambchops says:

Voodoo really have thought it would have been zombies?

(bit of a stretch that I admit!)

I guess developers are just somewhat prone to this kind of thing.

(that’s more like it)

• grundus says:

It’s a bloody shambles is what it is.

I liked SEV2 though so I’m curious about this one, it’s quite cheap too so getting others to buy it for co-opping in the case that it’s half decent (if not amazing) might be easier than with, say, Borderlands 2.

Gap Gen says:

How about a mythical beast that is human by day, but in the full moon it transforms into a horrifying Weremacht?

Or, wait. Left4Dad’sArmy.

2. DannyMB says:

So, Wolfenstein: Sniper Elite then?

3. SuperNashwanPower says:

Its a good job he has that scope. Seated Zombie Nazis are notoriously hard to hit at two and a half feet

• lijenstina says:

Actually it would be more difficult to see anything through the scope if the target is too close.

Anyway, zombies are “nice” because – you don’t have to program a good AI, their motivation for attacking the player is non existent so the “story” is much easier to implement, you don’t need to make different localizations of voice acting – I mean, moans and groans, they are already braindead so no deep moral issues with would daddy come home after his guard duty at the military base and finally, it is a deep allegory of any society that ever existed with most of the people aimlessly stumbling around while being dead inside.

4. scatterlogical says:

Wooo!! Zombies!!! Everyone loves killing zombies!! Can’t get enough of the zombies!! Wooo.o.oo… uhh.

Serious failure of imagination here. Oh wait – let’s make them NAZI zombies. That hasn’t been done.
    Everyone loves killing NAZI zombies!! Woooo!!

• Gnoupi says:

Yes, WW2, that’s the original theme, I’m pretty sure no one has made any game on that theme in the last 15 years.

Adding to that the one thing which is populating every game for the last 5 years… what can possibly go wrong.

• NailBombed says:

What about Nazi Zombies……. IN SPAAAAACE! That will really bring in the players!

• f1x says:

And thats just because they cannot make them Comunist Taliban Nazi Zombies from Russia

Gap Gen says:

I’m only buying it if they release a ninja pirate bacon cupcake dentist shoehorn hedgehog DLC.

• Lagwolf says:

And then these companies will whine when people stop buying their unoriginal games. Another zombie games shows a complete dearth of imagination and paucity of creative ideas.

5. Gnoupi says:

Sniper games versus nazi zombies. Nazi zombies, seriously. It’s like they took the two things which were already played to death in the last 15 years, and thought it was a good idea to put them together.

WW2 and zombies, everyone is already sick of that, can we just stop, finally, and do something else?

6. Acksiom says:

“But what if my aim is made of steel and my nerves are a bit too steady? WHAT THEN.”

Hit escape to enter the Menu, then increase the Difficulty setting.

7. ran93r says:

I picked up V2 on the PS3 but if this is standalone I might just get it on PC (as I haven’t seen mention of a console release). Although the thing that drew me toward getting V2 in the first place was the slow and steady gameplay, not sure how that’s going to work with zerging corpses.

8. Kollega says:

I think i recall RPS suggesting it’s going to be something about Nazi vampires. Which, i think, was done less times than Nazi zombies, and would be more fitting for a sniper game. But oh well.

9. JFS says:

Oh for fuck’s sake. And the original teaser wasn’t even that bad.

10. The Godzilla Hunter says:

You know, they could actually make it a bit interesting by making only headshots kill, with leg shots slowing zombies down. It could turn the game from a generic zombie shooter into a far more tense ordeal. Imagine, you turn a corner and you see 3 zombies. You panic and miss your first shot, then your second. If you don’t get three headshots in a row, you have to reload, and by then they will be on you…

Probably wont happen, though.

11. MeestaNob says:

To be honest, I’m far more interested in this than the actual Sniper games.

Jackablade says:

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a video game with a more video gamey title than Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army.

• Velko says:

Haha, true.

We talk about how video games have matured and try to handle sophisticated themes… and the we get Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army.

13. brulleks says:

Adding my vote to the ‘sigh’ crowd.

Surely there must be one major developer out there that still has someone with imagination left among its ranks (other than Arkane, I guess) and are actually prepared to listen to them over the rustle of their publisher’s chequebooks?

14. neems says:

When this was first teased, didn’t Rebellion flat out deny that it was going to be Zombies? Oh well, nevermind.

15. TwwIX says:

Apart from the Sniping and X-Ray effect, the rest of the combat in Sniper Elite V2 was very bland. Also, the levels were terribly confined and linear. I don’t see myself playing this unless they made fundamental changes to both of those aspects. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same lackluster gameplay just with Zombies tacked and the same shitty co-op matchmaking system from V2.

16. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Oh. Yay. Zombies.

17. Shooop says:

This doesn’t solve the one problem with the base game – it should have been a sandbox but they made it a corridor shooter.

18. HybridHalo says:

Woefully missing from this trailer that would have made it awesome.

A bang, then the camera following a slow motion bullet as it tears through a silhouetted enemy, removing limbs and vital organs rupturing in a gruesome x-ray slow motion, and then that enemy keeps moving.

19. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Are these ridiculous developers going to make the DLC missions co-op any time soon? The Kill Hitler mission and such. WHY ARE THEY NOT CO-OP. The rest of the game is co-op, but not these. Makes no sense.

20. stupid_mcgee says:

Time-travelling alien-Nazi-dinosaur-zombie robots.

I’ll be patiently awaiting my reward from all of humanity.