RPS Asks: Who’s Your Gaming Love?

By John Walker on February 14th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Happy Valentine’s Day, readers. We luurrrrrrve you. Kissy kissy slurp.

On this loviest of days, we want to know which gaming characters you truly love. Not fancy. Bleaurgh – we’re not CVG. Love. Whether it’s eros, philos, storgy or agape, whom do you find yourself caring about in the gaming world? Which characters do you worry about like you might your brother or sister? Is there a hero you’d make sacrifices for? Is there a game kid you find yourself wanting to parent? Or is there a fictional someone you’d swoop up into your arms, stare deeply and lovingly into his or her eyes, and carry into the sunset? Let us know your game loves below.

, .

1. caddyB says:

Aribeth de Tylmarande

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Got it, one Neverwinter Jelly in Plate Cup, coming right up sir!

• Premium User Badge Strand says:

Seconded. I’m especially appreciative of the thoughtful end they gave her character in the 2nd expansion. One of a handful of times a game has made me cry.

2. Tssha says:

Tali’Zorah nar Rayya. Er, excuse me, Tali-Zorah vas Normandy. Yes, her and Garrus are the characters I love best in that game, and I ain’t sleeping with Garrus (though, if I were Bi…)

Also, I will always have a special place in my heart for Ashley Williams. Not as xenophobic as first thought, and she quotes poetry at you! I fucking love that!

EDIT: Additionally, I would kill anyone to protect Clementine.

• zachforrest says:

yes i’ve often thought that i might pursue a homosexual relationship on Mass Effect but balked at the last second because that’s gay isn’t it. and i’m not gay.

• Premium User Badge c-Row says:

Tali, yes! Her pledging “I want more time” at the end of ME3 gave me a huge lump in my throat.

Not qualified for not having played the game but loving the promo pics when I was a teenager – Rynn from Drakan. Those eyes… yes, eyes.

3. marat271 says:

Claire from Professor Layton of course! A strong willed woman that cares for others, is sweet, kind and pretty on top ^_^

Too bad she died <_<

…Anyone that can bring the dead back to life without zombiefying them?

4. Citizen says:

Digital: a love story made me really connect with *Emilia, and fall in love with Christine Love a little.

On the other hand, while my Mass Effect romance didn’t really make me pine for Liara while I was afk, it did apparently affect me enough that I was a little heartbroken when we met again in ME2 and instead of flinging herself around my neck crying: “Oh my god, Shepard! Where have you been?” she said something like: “Oh, hi. I’m a little busy right now, can this wait?” But then it’s possible that I was mourning my immersion more than my relationship…

Also, gorges are adorable and I want one as a pet. And I have to tip my hat to valve for making people (me included) care about a cube.

5. Kuroko says:

The Maiden in Black from Demon’s Souls is my waifu. She even let me touch the demon inside her.

6. Just Endless says:

CLEMENTIIIIIIINE!!!

Garrus.

Yuna (FFX).

Probably many more.

7. Premium User Badge BathroomCitizen says:

The Barney guard from Half-Life 1. So many memories.

8. Premium User Badge daphne says:

I like Merrill and April Ryan.

9. flaillomanz says:

Alyx Vance.

10. resignation.speaks says:

I estimate Fall-from-Grace to be found attractive by the male sex of 321,423 separate species. Give or take five. Also, April Ryan <3

• Faxmachinen says:

Fall-From-Grace would actually be my third pick after Annah and Morte.

11. greenbananas says:

Does bro-love count? Sulik, then. No homo. Ok, maybe a little.

12. unguided says:

Cate Archer obviously.

• Rusty says:

Indeed.

• Lycan says:

Absolutely. I can’t believe I had to trudge to Page 3 of the comments threads before someone mentioned this F.O.X.

• easter says:

/hopes for some kind of crazy momentum whereby the System Shock 2 re-release on GOG prompts them to pick up both NOLFs, thereby prompting a renewed interest in a NOLF 3 or at least a feebly supported Kickstarter if only to get everyone’s hopes up.

• Tormodino says:

If we are lucky, EA will do the remake. Or Cyanide. Or someone with a similarly exceptional track record. There are so many ways this could go. And so many ways it could turn out.

13. Premium User Badge bear912 says:

You, John Walker. It’s you.

14. gamerfathergeek says:

Has to be Garrus. I was heartbroken when I interrupted him and Tali kissing in ME3. He had been on 99% of missions with me throughout the series, I did all the flirty things (at least I thought so) but no, it was not meant to be.

In all seriousness though I’ve never felt a bond with a character like I have with Garrus. Felt like an old friend by the end of ME3.

15. Atic Atac says:

Alyx Vance and April Ryan

16. Cara Ellison says:

Sometimes I have these nightmares where I’m yelling HURRY UP, COME ON, OH NOT DOWN THERE, CAN YOU GO A BIT FASTER and it’s not a sex dream it’s me fussing over Yorda from ICO because she is a distracted little heart.

Man my heart even beats faster when I think about her wee pale face. She’s like a little sister or something but she ANNOYS ME and god I’d hate for her to die WHY HAVE YOU GONE OVER THERE ARGH i love you Yorda

17. sinister agent says:

Wrex. Always Wrex. The hulking great brute with a shotgun who should be the idiot bruiser, but is in fact the smartest and most quick-witted person in Mass Effect. And the funniest, too.

Matheld from Mount and Blade. Oh, she may have barely any character, and she may be an ignorant savage, but there’s something about an utterly unapologetic Nordic madwoman charging into battle swinging a gigantic axe that just … does things to me.

Paul Denton, and Alex The Girl Denton. YES I SAID AND. I am not ashamed.

The outrageously French goblin chef from Arx Fatalis. A one-scene wonder, but what a scene. Our Keeeeng, he luuuuuv ze cehks!

Goris from Fallout 2. Smart. Patient. Civilised. Hurt his friends and he will smear you across the cieling.

Sasha Nein from Psychonauts. Oh god, Sasha Nein. I would control myself around him only to prove to him that I could, and therefore deserve him.

Rebecca Norton from The Last Express (the English woman who hangs around with the French woman all the time). There’s not much I can add to what someone else wrote about her here (non-story spoiler). Every time I play it, I wish I could get Rebecca alone and just tell her “I know what’s going on! She doesn’t deserve you. Don’t trust her, she will break your beautiful heart”. Tatiana too, she and Alexei are in such a sad situation, she’s so sweet but out of her depth. She’ll grow up into a bit of a badass though, I reckon.

Sigh. Oh John, you bastard, look what you’ve done.

• Alevice says:

There was an alt run i did where i killed wrex. I felt terrible and nothing was worth fighting for anymore

18. Joe Duck says:

Chell and Clementine, both badasses in their own way.

19. CletusVanDamme says:

Gosh, turns out I’ve got an awful lot of love to give.

So – Garrus, Handsome Jack, Dakkon, Varric (ooh DA2, controversial) and Dogmeat all spring to mind, but there’s more than enough space in my heart to accommodate more as they occur to me.

20. Brigand says:

Oh Leela, she was so loyal and tried so hard; she deserved better.

• Commander_Zeus says:

Indeed she did.
      I can’t decide if I loved Durandal – I think I probably did, in the way a faithful servant loves a benevolent master. He was a liar and a selfish charlatan – but I never felt used, more useful. Even if I rarely knew where I was being sent or what his true reasons were for sending me there, a good adventure was only ever a teleport away.

21. Patches the Hyena says:

Shepard, Garrus, Liara. The specific roles depend on what I’m feeling at that particular moment.

Also, lots and lots and lots of Fire Emblem characters from the series.

Also Leliana, Ezio, Solaire, Cesar Vialpando and the Pointer from Super Hexagon.

22. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Jeanette from Bloodlines.

I put my dick in crazy.

23. Premium User Badge mrwonko says:

Lilly from Psychonauts, back in the days. Mass Effect had tons of lovely characters, too, as was already mentioned.

24. Dukkha says:

I want to adopt Kendall in “Don’t take it personally, babe, it just ain’t your story”. She’s the coolest, sweetest kid in any game ever.

25. zachforrest says:

Mercedes from Grim Fandango.

and Mani obviously

• Skabooga says:

I’ll second these and throw in Glottis. He and Manny had one of the most affecting relationships I’ve come across.

26. SuperNashwanPower says:

Lydia. Even though I went evil and sacrificed you because I was disgusted by my own vulnerability in the face of your charisma, beauty and humble demeanour

• SuperNashwanPower says:

And also the dog from fallout 3. I went to the ends of the earth to protect that mutt

• Faxmachinen says:

Oh my god, I almost forgot Christine from FONV. Awesome character.

27. MurraySwe says:

Since no one else mentions her, I’m gonna go there.

Garnet from FF9.

There I said it.

28. Danopian says:

April Ryan.

29. SuicideKing says:

FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2 FREESPACE 2

• SuicideKing says:

lol i thought the question was which game do you love.

Anyway, Chell, i think.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

The Galatea noooo :[

• pandiculator says:

Nooooo. :(

• SuicideKing says:

Meh never played the first game. Too young. 5 maybe.

The Aquitaine and Colossus blowing up kind of made me feel sad though. Psamtik was graceful too :|

30. Beanchilla says:

The Lone Survivor.

Isaac from Binding of Isaac

Clementine

Kerrigan

31. Mario Figueiredo says:

Almost without a doubt the Grue in the initial Zork games. Before Infocom started giving them physical features.

“It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.”

There are characters that I liked a lot of course. But that’s got to be the most special character concept ever. You will never see them, their features exist only in your imagination, and they will kill you. The top boogeyman of computer gaming history.

32. scorpion_wins says:

Morrigan. Shale. Kartina from QFG IV.

33. Devenger says:

Captain Viridian from VVVVVV. Or maybe I just feel a pang of sorrow whenever I hear his unhappy face/death sound. Affection is complicated.

Alternatively, the entire core cast of Bastion, most of all Zulf, whose … participation in the story resulted in my shedding all my tears, multiple times.

34. aepervius says:

For the delivery : deirdana PS:T “I shall await you in death’s hall my love”.

And forver my master : Shodan :p.

35. Voidy says:

Viconia from Baldur’s Gate 2. The woman who had been buried alive and literally clawed her way to surface to get revenge on the would-be undertakers. You can’t but fall in love with someone so savvy about their manicure.

It’s weird to admit, but dating her in-game also prepared me for some of the most complicated and enjoyable (but not necessarily romantic) relationships I’ve had in my life.

36. Num1d1um says:

I liked Jack.

37. tungstenHead says:

One of my favourite characters from gaming is the bot that fills the final slot in a co op game. They’re often a bit boneheaded and I’m always ready to sacrifice them, but it always feels like that bot is an adorable pet that wants nothing more than to make you happy.

Bella Goth from The Sims needs a nod, as well. I’m pretty sure anyone that started with a male bachelor Sim wound up marrying her. Poor Mortimer. :(

Also, I’ve always had a crush on Sapphire from the Unreal Tournament series. Pretty, competent, and I can hold her coat and purse for her if any muggers show up.

38. Kasab says:

Would the eponymous Mule count as beastiality?

39. Premium User Badge Sinomatic says:

Gunther Hermann. HE JUST WANTED SOME ORANGE.

(also, Paul Denton and Jock (DX), Guybrush et al. (Monkey Island), Manny Calavera et al. (Grim Fandango), Lydia (of Skyrim), Emily, Lydia and Celia (of Dunwall), Alyx and Dog, GlaDOS, Zoey, Francis, Ellis (L4Ds), Morte (Planescape), Roman, Kate, Niko, Little Jacob (GTA 4), Tannis (Borderlands)

I’m sure I’m missing more…

• easter says:

+1 for Cecilia. She was the one I most wanted to learn about from the heart. Sucker for those damaged, quiet types I guess.

Almost all of Valve’s characters are pretty awesome. I actually like Rochelle too :3

• Premium User Badge Sinomatic says:

I like Rochelle too, she has some nicely downplayed sarcastic lines and responses that make me giggle (though not so fond of her cheesy one-liners). Valve seem to do a good job on the character front.

Also, I forgot my beloved medic and soldier from TF2.

And Ezio-Desmond-Altair, who I like even though I’m really not sure why.

• Faxmachinen says:

Oh oh, Morgan LeFlay! And Anemone and Tetra were so pretty and such great flirters <3

I hadn’t even thought about Monkey Island before you mentioned it.

40. Jake says:

Heather from Silent Hill 3, she just seems so sad but also she doesn’t whine or quit. Reads Poe, carries a switchblade, kills God – ticks my boxes.

41. Demon Beaver says:

Manny Calavera and Meche Colomar from Grim Fandango. Also Glottis and the rest of the cast.

All lovable through and through, and human, though dead/demons! As of now still the only game that made me cry in the end.

42. Keran says:

April Ryan. I just wanted to give her a happy ending, but those sneaky Norwegians wouldn’t let me. Maybe next year.
    Also Annah, but I haven’t replayed Torment in years. Might be things have changed.

Fast forward to the present and Tali enters the competition.

Oh, and my ‘oh my Cthulhu I’m not gay but I’d sleep with that voice’ award goes to Tony Plana/Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango.

43. Saiko Kila says:

Do these little people in strategic games count?

I mean these with some individuality and/or names, but I imagine some players could can love THEIR people even if they don’t know their names. Some examples of games containing such characters would be Tropico, Dwarf Fortress (little people in these two have names and history) or Anno 2070 (which contains some named little people).

44. cptgone says:

i find the Blackwell Deception girls easy on the eyes. Wikipedia tells me they’re Ben Chandler’s work.

45. GenBanks says:

I’m surprised nobody has said this one yet:

Morrigan in Dragon Age Origins!

The relationship between her and my character, and the agonising twists and turns it went through, was probably one of the strongest factors in keeping me playing the game. I think I fell in love with her (to whatever extent that’s possible with game character) and I couldn’t bear another playthrough of the game because it would make the story which developped in my first instance of the game seem less real.

The fact that her story was not continued in Dragon Age II was probably my biggest disappointments with the sequel. Even though I like playing them I normally don’t complete big RPGs, let alone complete then hold onto the save file to use in the sequel.

46. Abyss0429 says:

Samus Aran, if she’s flexible enough to roll around in a suit I’m sure out of it she’s amazing.

47. ABUductor says:

Elika, from 2008′s Prince of Persia.
    [SPOILERS]
    Even though the ending made me feel like everything I did throughout the whole game was a complete waste of time, I would have done the same thing if I were in the Prince’s situation.
    [END OF SPOILERS]

Alyx Vance from Half Life 2.

And Dogmeat from Fallout 1. I had this feeling that could be translated as something like: “You can hit and shoot me all you want, but hurt my dog and you’ll have very, very painful death.”

48. RedPoll says:

I would give my life for my Shepard. She’s way sassy. I’m a sucker for red hair and a bad attitude.

Also inordinately fond of Mr Sam Fisher.

49. rapier17 says:

As a man: Triss Merigold from the Witcher 2 – I have a thing for redheads and I really enjoyed her character in both Witcher games. Then perhaps Alyx Vance.

If I were a woman: Garrett perhaps or- no, wait, it has to be Captain Price in his CoD4:MW incarnation. By the end of Crew Expendable (first mission) you’ve fallen hopelessly in love with him. He’s so manly, with manly facial hair and great manly voice acting. Whenever I think back to him screaming in your face “On your feet soldier! We – are – leaving!” I can’t help but smile.

• WantOn says:

Damnit, I was just about to say Triss. Also a sucker for red-heads, but its more than just that. Intelligent, powerful and somehow always just out of reach, even in those cut-scenes…

• Lone Gunman says:

Yup. Triss gets my vote to. She is even in my current desktop wallpaper :o

Also Leliana from Dragon Age.

• Tormodino says:

Agreed! Triss and Geralt made sense. The seks scene in 2 was beyond cringe worthy, though.

50. SkittleDiddler says:

Claptrap is my eternal robot love. A bromance of epically annoying proportions.