This Thursday The 14th, Play Camp Keepalive

By Adam Smith on February 14th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Valentine’s Day is the one with the pestilent patchwork bears and the twisted offerings of edible hearts, right? I’d have waited until tomorrow to post about Camp Keepalive, as it’d be a fitting game to share on Jason Voorhees’ birthday, but today’s macabre celebration of the vulnerability of the human pumping station is fitting as well.

Camp Keepalive is a turn-based strategy game set in a camp straight out of an 80’s horror movie. Save the helpless and dull-witted campers from an onslaught of monsters with a team of counsellors, each with a special power.

If that description didn’t herald a very fine game, I’d be grossly disappointed. Thankfully, Camp Keepalive is splendid. Video below.

The demo provides an endless onslaught of top-down terror, as shamblers shamble and werewolves devour every last child. The theme is strong and the variety of monster behaviour makes for compelling tactical decisions. I hunger for more.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Saarlaender39 says:

Remembers me of the C64 game “Friday the 13th”… man, I loved that one.

Oh, before I forget:

“Happy Birthday, Jason…you are my most beloved madman!”

• Kefren says:

I loved it too, the ambiance, music and pop-up screaming heads. Oh, and crappy weapons. I used to gradually turn down the brightness on my TV to represent nightfall and up the terror.

• Stan Lee Cube Rick says:

I was thinking the same thing.

I’ll always remember how you could hit the dead victims repeatedly and they would come alive again.

Hodge says:

Some of those character sprites are direct copies of the ones from the old C64 Friday 13th game, though to be fair the game itself looks almost nothing like it.

It’s an odd game to pay tribute to as it was basically the Colonial Marines of its day.

RobF says:

I love this! It’s both a brilliant idea for a game and well implemented too.

Top notch.

4. ColOfNature says:

I think your calendar is broken.

5. 3lbFlax says:

This looks great, but Chrome is doing its level best to persuade me to discard the download because it’s “not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous”. Good point! I’ll go and download Winamp instead.

This is a nice treat for small developers, their audience’s browser advising them against playing the game. Oh, right, you’re probably supposed to put it on the Chrome store. That way no-one gets hurt.

LTK says:

I don’t get any such warning, so these false alarms seem to be resolved fairly quickly. I don’t see why you’re making such a big deal about a benign security measure. You don’t honestly believe Google wants to put indie games on the Chrome store and nowhere else, do you?