A New Warframe Of Mind: Open Beta Weekend Begins

By Nathan Grayson on February 15th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

I wonder if his feet look that weird beneath the outfit.

Valentine’s Day occurred recently. You probably spent it adrift in a mushy sea of rose petals, composing romantic ballads and/or making out with complete strangers. But let’s be honest here: there’s only so much affection one can spread before it just gets to be a little too much. Fortunately, Digital Extremes is making Warframe, not Loveframe. Better still, you can give the co-op space ninja hack/slash/shoot/burn/boil/mash/stick-’em-in-a-stew-’em-up a go over the weekend, starting at 12pm EST today. Eat that, most powerful of all human emotions. Eat that while I go eat more chocolate.

As per usual with these things, no beta key’s needed over the weekend. Simply make an account on Warframe’s warsite of wartacular vernacular (and also war), and you’re in. Oh, and that’ll net you an exclusive weapon thingy, because why not?

“Anyone who has yet to experience the satisfaction of sliding and slashing through enemy mobs now has the chance to join their Tenno brethren. PLUS, all players taking part in our Open Beta Weekend will have the chance to grab the EXCLUSIVE Braton Vandal weapon.  Available this weekend only at the in-game market.”

What’s a Braton Vandal weapon? I have no idea. But it sure does sound capable of harming people, as per the dictionary definition of the word “weapon.”

Warframe has been looking quite impressive, though, so I’m anxious to try my hand at mixing and matching choice bits from its positively mad power selection. I want teleportation-based decoy switcheroos in all my sword games, damn it. Really, though, swords aside, Warframe looks like what Mass Effect 3′s multiplayer wanted to be. And it was already pretty alright!

Thinking of joining the fray? Well then, here’s a video of semi-recent additions to the beta, which should give you some idea of what you’re in for. Happy warring! And framing! Just so long as you’re happy. That’s all I really care about.

, .

1. P4p3Rc1iP says:

WARFACE

Wait… huh?

2. rustybroomhandle says:

Just as long as my happy? How does he know how long my happy is?

amateurviking says:

I am still trying to work out if the titular warframes have penises on their facemasks or if I’m just obsessed with cock.

Important questions.

JohnArr says:

It’s a bit odd; they don’t give you any powers to play with when you start, so it’s a bit of a dull shooter, I regularly got lost in the maps and there’s no reason to cooperate with your team like L4D etc, you just compete againtst them in a kill race.

Admittedly I only played a few games, it undoubtedly expands, but it’s not a great first impression.

• Phendron says:

Playing with friends is a lot more rewarding because you’re less likely to end up in a group with some burnout who is just farming blueprints off the boss and running the 100m kill dash.

In terms of content expanding as you progress, sadly this is not the case. Repeating map tiles everywhere and the missions are pretty homogenous. The game is supposedly still in early-ish beta and there’s a lot more to be done, which is why I was concerned that this open weekend is way too soon.

5. Narbotic says:

Will this finally break my ME3 multiplayer addiction? … please?
    humanity needs more multi coop scifi, also love.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Well and truly broke my ME3 addiction!

Imagine if ME3′s gameplay was as smooth as Max Payne 3.

That’s how nice Warframe plays.

Tons of weapons, customization and crafting too.

• Narbotic says:

You give me hope, PatrickSwayze. Though i presume ME3′s lobby music will remain playing in my brain for all eternity.
        Also thnx for “Road House”, I think …

• Shezo says:

It didn’t break my ME3 co-op addiction, at least, for now — not enough variety, no coherent game system yet, some restrictions (weapon and warframe slots are only for real money among other things) and whacky balance so far.
      It has potential though.

• rushakoff says:

Ive actually only found a very few things that you can only buy with real money. Almost everything with enough work can be found or built through blueprints and things. Of course there are always exceptions in a free to play game but i feel they have done a pretty good job at not limiting what free players have access to.

6. rushakoff says:

Been playing for a few months and having a blast with it. Very fast and acrobatic combat and the powers are all very fun to combine into crazy strategies.

7. Inigo says:

HURT ME MORE SNAKE

8. yesterdayisawadeer says:

Definitely recommend checking out this game. Fast-paced acrobatic gunplay, viable and quite setisfying melee, lots of different weapons with neat effects, overall space-ninja style is awesome. Soundtrack is lovely, features traditional japanese Taiko drums (performed by Yakudo, I believe).

9. Sinnorfin says:

Reminds me of Jedi academy. Duel mode was so much fun there.

10. Iskariot says:

I am interested, but not if this is multi player only.
    Is it?

edit:
    Already found it: f2p online coop.
    Not interested then. Pity though… it looks cool.

• TormDK says:

It is possible to solo, some of it.

The bosses though, I don’t see one frame soloing. There’s simply not enough ammo around.

It’s a decent game. I went with the 50$ Founder offer awhile back and played it with some friends. There’s some good potential so will check back on Progress in a month’s time.

• Phendron says:

You get a stupid amount of credits once you start getting to rank 15+ and sell all your crap mods, and primary ammo boxes are only 1,000 credits each.

You can bring 8 ammo boxes, which is almost 5000 rounds for the Braton. Soloing bosses is totally possible with certain frames.

11. Xzi says:

So this game is only co-op then, no PvP? Somebody really needs to work on a less-glitchy version of something like GunZ.

12. Chubzdoomer says:

WarFRAME OF MIND?

I see what you did there, you wily fox.

13. crinkles esq. says:

I like the wall-running acrobatic stuff, but the acrobatic animations seem a bit stiff compared to something like Ninja Gaiden. And the warframes seem more like a fetish costume than a technological terror. But other than that, it looks promising.

14. godwin says:

Oh wow, I know now why these character/suit designs seem so familiar. Back in 2005 Digital Extremes released this awesome trailer for a very different Dark Sector: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3jw2-xKqjA

• QuartzParchmentBlunderbuss says:

godwin, I was just about to comment on that, you beat me to the punch. I was really looking forward to the original concept of Dark Sector and then they turned it into some unfinished mashup of RE4 and Gears of War. That being said I like the direction of this. ;)