Does The Grid 2 Gameplay Trailer Show Any Gameplay?

By Jim Rossignol on February 15th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

“Gameplay” isn’t a particularly useful word at the best of times, but in the case of game trailers it tends to mean seeing the game as it might be played. In the case of a racing game, for example, in a cockpit view. Or, hell, in a third-person view where you’re actually controlling the action, rather than passively watching it. This Grid 2 trailer shows a lot of computer cars racing around a computer circuit, which could literally be the game being played. But is that gameplay? There are a few seconds of this trailer which might be a bumper-cam view of the game being played, but even then it’s without the UI you might expect to accompany a genuine piece of “gameplay” footage. So…

Yeah. I mean no.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. koalasoftware says:

Not really a helpful video, it tells you nothing about the game. Tbh Grid 1 and Dirt 1 do me just fine anyway.

• Doreen_Young says:

my roomate’s sister makes $69 an hour on the internet. She has been fired from work for 9 months but last month her pay check was $14977 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site… http://www.snag4.com

• trjp says:

Dirt 2 > Dirt 1 in every possible way except ‘kagoule factor’.

Dirt 2 may even be > than every other driving game if all you want is some hoonery

• Llewyn says:

Dirt 2 > Dirt 1 in every possible way except as a rally game.

Sure, Dirt 2 was fun for a little while in a silly arcadey way, but for that it’s not a patch on Blur. And let’s face it, Blur/Burnout/Split Second are the appropriate comparisons for Dirt 2.

2. SominiTheCommenter says:

No cockpit, no sale.
    Even on sale.

• Faldrath says:

Yep. Same here, which saddens me.

• Buemba says:

I might get it when the game gets deeply discounted, but I would gladly buy it day one if it had cockpit view.

• King_Rocket says:

This is my feeling, Loved the first one, but with no cockpit and forced always on assist I’ll wait till it’s $5 on steam.

• Max.I.Candy says:

Yeah I’m a bit of a cockpit only kinda guy so I’m pretty unhappy they have’nt included it (memory issues/current gen console limitations where the reason given).

Currently playing Forza Horizon (360) for my racing fix, and I’ve been trying out bumper view, but I just cant seem to use anything but cockpit, or I tend to suck at the game.

Saying that, I’ll still end up getting this as I just loved the first one so much.

• Fox89 says:

I still don’t get why cockpit view is such a big deal. It’s a nice effect and everything but it drastically reduces your field of view. Imagine driving a real car while wearing blinkers, and it’s even less authentic if you use a wheel.

Bonnet cam is way better in my eyes.

• Felix says:

INDEED.

The whining about no cockpit view makes no sense if you use a wheel. If the Oculus Rift takes off, then I I’ll abide the whining, but so far it’s no more than a superficial complaint.

• Max.I.Candy says:

Erm, excuse me.No its not a superficial complaint.

I play like shit and it feels like shit if it aint cockpit.

By sitting in the drivers seat I’m able to take corners better, judge speed better and overall it just feels completely natural for me (from a viewpoint perspective,as close as is possible to how it feels when I’m driving a real car).

Anything else and I am worse at the game. Thats not superficial!

• Fox89 says:

Have you tried Bonnet cam? Given the distance that already exists between you and the screen, bonnet cam gives the most accurate simulation of what you would see while driving a real car. I liken cockpit cam to trying to drive while sitting the back seat of a car.

As Felix says, Oculus Rift will solve that and then Cockpit Cam will be a better representation. But until then it’s very much second best to bonnet cam in terms of an accurate virtual representation of driving position.

• Max.I.Candy says:

Yeah, Bonnet cam is always my second option.
            But I still prefer being able to see the steering wheel,side window and mirrors.
            Bonnet cam is an accurate portrayal of someone sitting on the dash board of a car.

I’m not sure how I can explain any better then it just feels more natural…..and ofc I do better in races.

• riceisnice says:

I think being able to see steering lock in cockpit view helps a lot. When I switched to “simulation” steering in forza 4 I had trouble recovering from oversteer in any view other than cockpit, since giving the car too much opposite lock in that mode was an instant spin out. Seeing the wheel really helped me judge just the right amount of opposite lock.

Regardless always on assists = instant no buy for me. Too bad I was looking forward to this game.

• Faldrath says:

To me, it’s mostly a matter of immersion. I’m aware the field of view suffers, but I need to feel I’m inside the car, not that I’m a weird ghost hovering over it.

• Soulless says:

Imo that’s a pretty flimsy reasonto say ” I won’t buy this game because X ” It’s like saying ” I won’t play Skyrim because I can eat as much food as I like and my character doesn’t need to go to the toilet, thus it breaks the Immersion ” – But then again, it’s your money and time you can do what you like with it.

• Faldrath says:

Not sure I get your analogy. Most people see Skyrim as a game about being a hero, which is why we can ignore bathroom breaks and the like and it doesn’t really hurt the immersion (because that does not define what “being a hero” is). But I do not understand why you’d want to play a racing game, which is a game about driving a car, and not care about being inside the car, in the driver’s seat – that *does* define what driving a car is.

That being said, I’m certainly not claiming universality for my position. If you can be happy playing with different cameras, that’s great. Just don’t dismiss other opinions.

• Jason Moyer says:

Not having a cockpit view is a pretty big deal in a game that apparently features real cars and tracks and tries to make you feel like you’re driving them. I guess you could argue that something like Grid doesn’t really need one since it’s a few sprites removed from being Mario Kart, but whatever.

• The First Door says:

This is exactly my reason too! It just makes the game more intense and immersive to me when I’m in cockpit view. It doesn’t have to be realistic to be immersive, they are totally different things.

The bit that really saddens me is that Dirt and Grid both had really good cockpit views, with the water splashes and cracking windscreens. Just seems a waste they’ve thrown that away.

3. amateurviking says:

Looks pretty gameplay-lite, unless there’s a mode where you play as a producer for the television coverage?

4. ZIGS says:

GRIDFACE

5. Mudlab says:

Looks like actual gameplay with post-processing. After-race replays in the first game were similar, minus the “dirty lens” effect.

Let’s hope Codemasters keeps the servers up for GRID 2 longer than they did for GRID 1…

6. Artista says:

Looks pretty but for some reason this made me want to play MegaRace.

7. mehteh says:

Dirt has been turned into an utterly unbearable casual non-rally “racing” franchise. I hope GRID 2 isnt dumbed down for casuals on console as well. I also hope the in-game voices can be muted. Dirt 2 was bad, but at least i could turn them off as opposed to Dirt 3 which had an even more shallow voice that you couldnt mute. barely any rally, immensely annoying voice, and retarded gymkhana training = no buy for me(at any price).

If GRID gets ruined as well then all i have to look forward to is Project CARS which i hope also wont get dumbed down now that its going to consoles as well as the laughable WiiU

• trjp says:

I disagree that it’s a downturn – if you don’t like the “Yo Brah!” aspect, if you’re a kagoule and sandwiches rally fan, that I can understand the dislike for the interface, but the game underneath it is a PEACH.

CMR had just about run-out of things to do and the whole Ken Block thing woke it up in my opinion – and DIrt 2 still contains some excellent rally/rallycross/hillclimb stuff.

I still play Dirt 1 but I know that Dirt 2 is where the mad tomfoolery happens – that’s the game which rewards your ability to drift around the outside of the turn and so on.

• Llewyn says:

Yeah, we get that you don’t like actual rallying, but please don’t think that makes you qualified to tell those of us who do what makes a better rally game. I’m happy that you enjoy the way the Dirt franchise has gone, but it’s not where many of the original fans wanted to go.

• trjp says:

It’s not mandatory that they buy the game either, there are other rally titles (most of which suck IMO but they are more ‘authentic’ to the WRC thing).

If they’re made Dirt2 without the ‘yo brah’ aspect – there probably never would have been a Dirt 3 anyway – they needed a new audience and I think they found it.

Let’s be honest – actually Rallying is a sport which is dying, things like Ken Block and the X Games are quite possibly the lifeline which could keep the sport alive in reality – let alone in gaming.

The days of people standing in forests with flasks waiting to be killed by a low-flying Finn in a crazy-powerful plastic box may be at an end in gaming and in reality without this glitzy/TV friendly alternative being thrown into the mix…

8. SuicideKing says:

This is a gameplay vid apparently:

• SominiTheCommenter says:

HA. Pre-Alpha code in witch the UI is all in place and working, there are no crashes, no bugs.
      There is only one bug, no cockpit view.

• wodin says:

Thats a feature..sadly

• Fox89 says:

That’s legit gameplay. I know pre-alpha code is riddled with bugs, but it’s always possible to polish up a section to show off to the press. I’m sure if you took the code that video is taken from and tried to load a different car or drive the wrong way down the road you’d start to get some pretty nasty bugs.

9. famousright says:

Flare. Flare everywhere.

10. Engonge says:

I loved grid,the only racing game I truly enjoyed(and maybe nfs 2).Probably because it was so forgiving.

11. Vinraith says:

Please no drifting…

• trjp says:

Why not?

I can’t think of a game which has made it mandatory as a discipline but but the ability to drift cars is one of those ways they make a slightly wrist-slappy and boring racer (like anything SimBin make) into a great arcade racer.

Simbin – arrive at a corner too fast – run-off, crash, lose
      Arcadey games – arrive at a corner too fast – throw the back-end out, lose a bit of time but gather-it-up, get back into the action.

• Vinraith says:

I mean no “slide slowly around corners in pitch perfect fashion” drift events, not no drifting during races. Mandatory drift events are game-killers in racing titles.

12. Mud says:

Three bad F1 games , which made me love Geoff Crammond’s Grand Prix 4 again … thank you for that Codemasters, I’ll never Buy a CM game again.

• trjp says:

Basing your decision on the F1 games only would be like kicking Valve into touch and refusing to play Half Life/TF2/L4D because of Ricochet.

I’d also argue that the latest F1 is probably the best F1 game ever made – and that says everything you need to know about F1 games.

13. Megakoresh says:

The original GRID was so terrible that even though I played it more than a year ago last time, my body fills with wrath from just thinking about it, even still.

Maybe I haven’t played enough of racing games, but it sure does seem like the worst racing game in history if you ask me. In addition to on-rail opponents and likely the most unrealistically frustrating physics ever created, it’s tracks were dull with next to nothing to look at and the bloom! Oh god, that bloom!

So, despite my hunger for a good racing game, I am afraid all I have to look forward to thus far is Distance.

• trjp says:

Rather than just raging, perhaps you could suggest which games you DO like – because I’ve played pretty much every racing game there is and I quite liked GRID.

It created the rewind thingy which was OK in GRID and utterly AMAZING in Dirt 2 onwards (rallying is all about taking a BIT more risk – nice not to lose your entire progress if you fluff it!?)

My only real complaint with GRID was that it was a system killer in it’s day – it’s one of those games I bought and then left until I bought a new PC :)

• Megakoresh says:

It actually was fine until they completely fucked up the physics in patch 1.5
        Tracks were always boring and opponents on rails, but with somewhat normal physics and collisions I could get behind that.

If you want to know my favourite racing game of all time is the original DiRT. In arcade department my favourites are Split/Second and PURE.

14. Fox89 says:

Do replays count as gameplay? I mean… you can control replays to an extent in these games, so you might be able to stretch that definition of anything captured from replay cams (which this may be) as gameplay…

But yeah, certainly a stretch! ‘Gameplay’ == ‘in-engine’ these days.

Looks good though. Loved GRID 1 very much.

15. Klingsor says:

Missing Colin McRae Rally :(

16. rickenbacker says:

I think we all know by now that trailers are always prerendered fakes.

Comment on this story