FFXIV: A Realm Reborn Birthing A Beta This Month

By Nathan Grayson on February 16th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Ah, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, what manner of thing will you be? Many people, naturally, would prefer that you turn out, well, good, but you kind of had a hard time with that during your first go-’round. I did like your job system, story missions, and world, though. So I have some hope. Kinda. Maybe? Videos of quests that look musty and maggot-riddled out of the box have me second-guessing my vague optimism, but I’ll reserve judgment until I can feel the winds of adventure and taste the scent of Chocobo stable manure for myself. Which are things I will apparently be able to do very soon – at least, in beta form. FFXIV: A Realm Reborn is set to take its first steps later this month. Details after the break.

For the time being, it’s a closed beta, and the first round of acceptance letters should be hitting inboxes any moment now, if they haven’t already. You can, however, still sign up if you missed this particular boat – which is probably also a crystal-powered airship and someone’s dead dream father.

A letter from producer Naoki Yoshida, meanwhile, explains what phase one beta testers are in for:

“Just like the alpha test, phase 1 of the beta test will be limited to the areas around Gridania. Quests from the main scenario will be available, but because these require travel to other nations at level 15, they will be limited. Sidequests are designed to accompany the main scenario, so it may be a bit of a pain to level up after that point. This won’t be the case in the official release version, but until then we ask that you do your leveling through the variety of content that will be available.”

Hmmm. I suppose I’ll take his word for it. But, if nothing else, I’m really liking the sound of Full Active Time Events (or FATE, because Final Fantasy), which put a Guild-Wars-2-ish spin on the proceedings with auto-grouped random world objectives. “These events will take place in non-instanced areas and appear at random,” Yoshida explained. “Players can participate by simply being within proximity of the event, and there’s no need to form parties.”

The beta kicks off on February 25th, which is basically tomorrow if you squint and don’t ask what its name is. To tide you over until then, though, here’s this absurdly lavish CG video of immaculately coifed hero types fighting a Death Star that transforms into a (that’s no) moon-sized fire dragon. Because Final Fantasy.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. njursten says:

Misread Gridania as Grindania. A foretelling!

2. PopeRatzo says:

Where can I get a bet down on whether or not this game will be any good? I could use several pairs of very nice shoes.

bglamb says:

Wow, and I thought Blizzard had an excessive budget for their CG trailer.

• SuperCoolDude says:

Isn’t that what Square Enix always does when showing off their games? Show as much pretty pre-rendered material as possible while skipping most gameplay bits (save for a couple seconds of the really flashy stuff that the player probably has no control over) on account actually watching an rpg being played by someone else (or most games for that matter) gets old after 10 seconds.

4. wulfsiege says:

The trailer is certainly nice and the moon dragon event is certainly impressive, but I just can’t do a traditional boring questing type on-line fantasy any more. Someone needs to innovate!

• Spengbab says:

Really? For something that’s probably meant to be an epic thing (I don’t know haven’t played a FF since 8, they managed to make it seem like a mundane everyday occurance. “Yo, there’s a dragon thing up there, launch some swords at it, same as usual, you know the deal. Also, make sure you wear completely unpractical armor, especially you women.”. Then again, I have no idea what the hell the trailer is about, other than that it’s a fact that the actual game is nothing like it.

I liked FF better when it was about that blonde with a big sword mating coloured chickens

5. kwyjibo says:

How can you spend that much money on a trailer and yet it still be so utterly rubbish. No direction, rubbish music, stupid characters. Because Final Fantasy.

• Synesthesia says:

Chst! You shut your filthy mouth you.

It’s been shit for a while, but it was not always like this. FF tactics and VII, and the snes versions of V and VI (or I and II, whatever) are fantastic JRPGs. You may not like the genre, but that’s a far cry from saying it has no direction and crap music. Nobuo Uematsu and the other two guys that did the tactics music were amazing! No, really, go give them a listen.

• kwyjibo says:

My comments only referenced the trailer above, not the entire series. Because Final Fantasy.

6. Curry the Great says:

I have no idea what that expensive trailer is about. What’s the deal with asian culture (like TERA) and playing as a creepy child-race. I really don’t get that.

• tyren says:

At least these ones aren’t creepily sexualized like the TERA race is. For that matter, the behavior of their NPCs is actually that of mature adults unlike FFXI where they tended to talk in a really cutesy childish way (which actually was pretty creepy come to think of it).

7. Didden says:

How am I meant to take dudes riding Chickens seriously?

8. DK says:

I very much doubt their Dragon is going to be even a quarter as impressive as Dragons Dogmas. That set the standard for Dragons (and Dogmas).

9. caddyB says:

logic:
    1=A really expensive trailer with explosions and a dragon and fire and woot!
    2=???
    3=???
    4=???
    5=???
    6=I must spend money on this!

how does this even work?

jrodman says:

You’re saying it did that? I’m sorry.

• lijenstina says:

The 500 billion $ advertising industry says hi. You’ll look at the pretty, smilling people and feel compelled to buy something.

I’m already. But it’s a gun. :D

10. aliksy says:

I’m surprised the Final Fantasy MMO is doing autogrouping. I thought those developers were mega-conservative and hated progress and fun.

11. Lemming says:

There’s something inherently broken about an MMO using the Final Fantasy license then trying to make it all po-faced and serious business with ‘gritty’ looking Chocobos. Way to miss the point.

Step 1: Use FFIX for a template. Keep it cute, Steampunk and flying airships.

Step 2: Profit.

• Synesthesia says:

oh yeah. VII’s -cyberpunk?- was quite enjoyable too.

• animlboogy says:

FF has always been a weird balance between cutesy stuff and SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Also, it’s worth noting that the FF MMOs so far have world and lore far closer to the classic FF games than anything from VII on. If some of the tedious MMO trappings were removed and things were pared down to a 40-60 hour experience, XI and the original XIV would basically be modernized versions of FFV.

• Ruffian says:

Pretty much my thoughts on playing this monstrosity, pre-this stuff, ofc.

12. animlboogy says:

It’s surreal seeing the reaction to this trailer here compared to a bunch of Final Fantasy fans on another forum. Almost entirely hate here, while over there it was people drooling over the trailer while wishing the game wasn’t an MMO.

Me, I’m happy to see the FFXII-esque UI, and terrified by how boring questing looks in the gameplay I’ve seen so far. I tend to ignore CG stuff as a rule, it’s meaningless.

13. SuperNashwanPower says:

2:05 @_@
    Get that ickle cherub off the battlefield!!! WTF is a cute little thing like that doing in the middle of slaughter on an epic scale, looking all adorable???

My protective instincts may have kicked in a bit.

14. LintMan says:

I’m wondering if Squeenix is going to make a single player FF game ever again.

• f1x says:

Are you serious?
      they released XIII-2 like last year?
      plus 3 thousand PSP and mobile games, and there is another game starring Lightning planed for late this year

15. Cunning Linguist says:

I might have a look when it goes free-to-play, about a couple of months after release.

• aepervius says:

At that point I wonder if it will go F2P, or rather if the dev will simply admit defeat and close it down for good….

16. Felixader says:

You know what i am really interested in? In the Dramatic Story that leads to this apocalypse.

17. Greg_Robinson says:

my roomate’s step-mother makes $78/hour on the internet. She has been without work for eight months but last month her income was $16128 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site… http://www.snag4.com

• aepervius says:

I love those spam thingy (i am being sarcastic here don’t pounce on me). I am wondering if anybody really fall for this con, because at 78$ per hour without a diplome I can only see a few job : hooker, drug dealer, selling this con to more sucker (pyramide scheme) , and cleaning up chernobyl’s reactor bare handed, and a few other illegal options.

• RYNOBIG says:

It clearly says that she did it on the internet in a few hours. So I am guessing that it involves internet pron. I shudder to imagine what kind of pron it takes to make that kind of money… And it sounds like you can only do a couple of hours before you are bent up in a ball in the corner babbling to yourself until it all happens again tomorrow.

18. SighmanSays says:

I’m left wondering why they haven’t done a FF MO in the graphical/technical style of the (S)NES games. It’d be relatively cheap to make and operate, could potentially pull off things other MMOs simply can’t (like, I dunno, millions of non-static npcs), the fans would likely be all over it…

Oh shut up and let me dream.

19. geldonyetich says:

The FFXIV art assets are certainly pretty enough to justify attempting a relaunch. Even the GUI had been substantially improved, last I checked. The main trouble was the gameplay itself with an unrepentant grind without enough variety of activities to satisfy.

It was launched as a player-driven economy game that created items you needed to progress in the lousy combat that dropped reagents needed to build things in the player-driven economy whose ultimate reward was lousy combat. The crafting mechanic was a gamble where, chances are, the efforts of hours of grinding would literally explode in your face. Then you were off to kill 500 mobs with a 5% chance of dropping the reagent you needed.

Now, if the combat were tweaked to actually be substantially deep and interesting, rather than the casual cop-out they were mislead to believe would sell, FFXIV’s story might have had a happier ending. If they are capable of delivering this in the reboot, the game may just have a chance.

Would be nice if my purchasing FFXIV collector’s edition meant I got some free time in the reboot.

• Istrael says:

I had to create an account just to say this: everyone that bought the game at launch (1.0) is eligible for a free 30-day ‘trial’ once ARR (2.0) launches.

I’m at work so no links for now, but take my word for it. I would keep an eye on the official Twitter profile for more information about it. Also, anyone with a beta access code from FFXIII can use it to enter the PS3 beta for ARR.