Destiny Not Coming To PC, Bungie Deny Reality

By John Walker on February 17th, 2013 at 10:44 pm.

Obviously concept art, what with this not being on PC graphics.

Halo creators Bungie have announced the platforms for their next game, online shooter Destiny, and PC is not amongst them. With 360 and PS3 versions certain, and next-gen consoles hinted at, it would seem to make a certain degree of sense to release the game on the format most suited to online FPS. But no, because according to Bungie, of mouse and keyboard players, “Nobody plays shooters the way they used to… ’cause nobody wants to.”

This was the studio’s co-founder, Jason Jones, according to Destructoid. To give you the full statement, so you can make your own interpretation of his words, he said:

“We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people. We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game – almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to.”

There are two possibilities. Jason Jones has never heard of Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, or any other number of hugely played online FPS games for the PC. Or this is a misunderstanding. I’m sure what he meant to say was, “We couldn’t be bothered to make a PC version,” but for some reason it came out as, “Blurble flurble flipple-flopple ploooooooo.”

Perhaps he misspoke, perhaps he’s a braggart who thinks Halo changed the face of FPS while no one else noticed, perhaps he just meant the regenerating health thing, and not PC at all? But I’m pretty sure I’d like to see him going up against some of the best online FPS players in the world, him with his joystick, them with their mice and keyboards that they haven’t been told they don’t want to use any more.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. vandinz says:

If this idiot is the man they selected as voice of the company, it doesn’t bode well for the rest of the staff. The stupid is amazingly high.

2. kikito says:

Well, Dream, Death, Delirium, Desire, Despair and Destruction are much more interesting anyway.

3. Kregoth says:

I think you really took this statement out of context John. I hate Halo, but I seriously doubt he said what you think!

“We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard.”

I am pretty sure he is referring to the fact that at the time, Halo was one of the very few FPS games that used a gamepad. Most FPS’s at the time where only on PC Halo was one of the first on console (and sold extremely well)

“And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to.”

I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with gamepad versus M+KB. I believe he is referring to how FPS changed a lot after Halo. He’s referring too all these statements he made before hand.

“We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people. We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game – almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time.”

This is what he means by all his “no one wants to” statement, almost all FPS after halo incorporated a lot of what Halo did.

This entire article has NOTHING to do with what your thinking John, and I love your articles, but this is just not right!

• Phantoon says:

Look.

I don’t want more things like Halo. Halo has terrible design philosophy, and is basically the opposite of DOOM’s design philosophy. DOOM wants you to explore and rewards you for doing so, doesn’t strap your head to a seat to deliver what little exposition it has, and encourages hoarding your best ammo. Halo only allows exploration for the easter egg skulls that make the game harder, is filled with corridors and cutscenes (there is never two ways to the second point), and just hands you “the right gun” when you need it.

CoD follows the same design philosophy as Halo, and I’d argue that CoD actually does it better! Of course, what it does is garbage, so congratulations to Activision on that.

• Jenks says:

I assume you’re not a big fan of Half-Life either, or is that different in your head because it’s a PC darling rather than a console one?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Actually it was Golden Eye and Medal of Honor that brought FPS (without kb/m) to consoles before Halo.

4. skyturnedred says:

“Halo proved FPS games work on consoles”

Did no one play Goldeneye?!

• Phantoon says:

Shhh. Let Bungie whisper sweet nothings of REGENERATING HEALTH and TWO WEAPONS AT A TIME into your ears.

I’m sure they’re kicking themselves they didn’t come up with CHEST-HIGH WALLS too. Could’ve have a triple threat of absolute garbage shooter design.

5. garisson says:

Why do console devs say retarded shit like this? Do they live in an alternate universe or something? Anyone with half a brain knows M&K is better than gamepad. They can keep it on consoles, there’s enough lame MMO’s on PC already.

6. mrcalhou says:

While I prefer playing FPS and TPS games lying in my recliner with a gamepad, there’s no way in heck I’d try playing one online against mouse and keyboard players like that.

7. valz says:

Their games aren’t worth playing on PC anyway. We have much better shooters. Theirs are incredibly dull.

8. Hoaxfish says:

Honestly, I’ve always liked Bungie.

You could at least respect them for starting on the Mac, and Myth1/2 are some of my favourite RTSes (both in atmosphere and gameplay). Oni was nice for the melee combat’s depth… I was hoping for Halo on the PC, but the final “effort” was crippled by Microsoft (I wish they’d remember that Windows is their platform sometimes). At least Halo has managed to separate itself from the “modern shooters” that plague other developers.

I was hoping that Destiny would be a step back to the old Bungie, where they were a developer who pursued multi-genres and made new IPs regularly. It appears that Activision may be only slightly better than Microsoft, at least allowing them multi-console development.

Still, I think the game looks like it might be fun, even if I’ll never get to play it.

• Azhrarn says:

Microsoft knows all to well that Windows is their platform, and they also know that they get a lot more money (from the devs, cuts from the sales etc.) if people play it on the console toy that they have absolute control over.

9. Jenks says:

My god this is a hilarious amount of crying.

10. matrices says:

This is an embarrassing post by RPS staff. The excerpt quoted from the Penny Arcade article has absolutely nothing to do with any comment from Bungie on the PC platform. Entirely separate context.

11. MadTinkerer says:

“Perhaps he misspoke, perhaps he’s a braggart who thinks Halo changed the face of FPS while no one else noticed”

Pretty much, yeah. Why else would the PC have been ignored for ports of Halo 3, ODST, Reach, and 4?

The sad thing is, he’s partly sort-of right when it comes to a specific subset of gamers who don’t understand the superior control method of mouse + WASD for FPS games. There are those who, sigh, actually prefer the console controller: In the case of my one co-worker, he specifically prefers console controllers because he didn’t get into the classic PC shooters before Halo Xbox was released.

So yeah, in the Venn Diagram of Everybody, Jason Jones is a jackass. But in the Venn Diagram of “PCs Are For Online Free To Play Games But Consoles Are For Real Games”, what he says makes sense. An awful lot of game developers, as well as all of my Game Design classmates, do come from that Bizarro World where Steam and GoG don’t exist, Indie games on any platform are basically invisible, and the only PC games they’ve heard of are WoW and Zynga games.

Meanwhile another of my co-workers is a hardcore strategy, RPG, and point & click adventure player. I haven’t persuaded her to use Steam yet, but she has a large chunk of the GoG catalog on her account. So there is hope.

• ChromeBallz says:

This actually makes me look forward to showing off Crysis 3 on max settings to my friends on my gaming rig.

When i did that with the first Crysis they all stopped playing their consoles for about a year (no joke).

12. Dominic White says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a higher concentration of sour grapes in the history of RPS, and that’s saying something. Goddamn, you guys – don’t go embarrassing yourselves all at once, huh?

• subedii says:

Goddamn please don’t attribute to sour grapes?

Personally? I like Bungie’s titles and was hoping that their next one would be coming PC-side, particularly since they’re no longer with Microsoft and are free to develop titles for any and all platforms. The likelihood is that the title will be hitting next gen platforms, and possibly even current gen ones as well. And the demographics alone would seem to match fairly well since it’s a mainly online FPS.

Given all that, yes, I was actually expecting that they’d port it PC-Side as well. So beforehand it’s disappointing. After comments about how “nobody wants to” play that way, it just reads as silly.

I mean platform owners Sony just spent millions developing and releasing an online MMO FPS of their own, apparently for an audience that’s not present. That seriously makes me raise my eyebrows a little.

13. BreadBitten says:

That ViDoc was absolutely one of the most self-serving piece of crap my eyes, ears and brain had to endure, Destiny doesn’t sound anything more than an elaborate MMOFPS and all those buzzwords and phrases the devs keep tacking on to it is just starting to make me gag.

EDIT: I haven’t really found much reason to keep an eye out for Adam Sessler’s words, but this just made me reconsider…

14. Raiyan 1.0 says:

I’m actually rather glad. PC gamers already provide far too much of Bobby Kotick’s salary for my liking.

15. Dimonte says:

One of the most commented posts is the one about console developer saying something that PC-obsessed people find vaguely offensive. Kinda telling of PC Gaming Master Race, eh? The amount of butthurt is frankly amazing. If I was a console developer, I wouldn’t want to develop anything for you people too.

• Sheng-ji says:

Guess you missed all the sexism in gaming posts then!

• Dimonte says:

Yeah, I was trying to forget about that comically sad disgrace at all. Thank you for reminding me, I shall now proceed with the rest of the day feeling strong contempt for people I never met.

• Sheng-ji says:

So, you’re a console gamer who regularly reads a PC gaming site to deliberately feel nasty shit all day?

Oh, and you’ll find more owners of multiple systems here than on any equivalent site for nintendo, xbox or PS systems. “Master Race” what a stupid label – we just love games so much, we want the best experience. Hence why we want to play on the most powerful systems with the biggest choice of controls. Don’t like that, play on the system of your choice with it’s gamepad and have fun, but don’t get pissy at people who want better.

• Dimonte says:

Nope, these days I play on PC for the most part, and it greatly saddens me that people here are so insecure that they need to loudly reaffirm their perceived superiority each time somebody even hints at that they aren’t the very best type of gamers out there.

• zachforrest says:

I would love a fancy pc, but i lack the expertise and the time. so when i can i primarily play on a console. I but read RPS because it’s entertaining. I even like the comments most of the time.

Not in this instance, however. Some of the comments on here just embarassing

16. MOOncalF says:

I remember the rolling demo of Halo playing on electronics store PCs until the news came that Halo would be an exclusive release for the Xbox. It’s a now-familiar story but this dude’s attitude feels like he’s trying to rub our noses in something, only I just don’t get what he’s talking about?

17. Neurotic says:

Really, who the fuck still cares what Bungie do? They’re console devs to the bone. Halo 1 was their only great achievement in PC gaming, the rest is a farce or non-existent.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Eh, I’d read up on Bungie’s history sometime if I were you. Because you’re off the mark. Still, I doubt we’ll ever see them actually make innovative (or just fun) games like they used to.

18. HadToLogin says:

Or there’s a third possibility. Jason Jones checked Steam-Stats and seen TF2 and all various CS doesn’t even come close to number of CoD players on X360 – even when counted together.

• grenadeh says:

A) Because CoD is horrible and many pc gamers have come to learn that. It’s not just the fact that each game is copypasta. You also have to consider the fact that they boned PC gamers, repeatedly. CoD MW2 was p2p networking, no servers. Black Ops had servers but the game system itself was trash. MW3 had servers but you had to actually look for them and overall the online play was garbage,. B) Assuming all the people that actually owned CoD on PC got online and played, it would dwarf the small amount of people on Xbox playing. We have better games – scratch that, just other games, to play.

19. teamcharlie says:

And so our great fears come home to roost: regardless of whether or not they’re owned by Microsoft, it may very well be that the Bungie that made Marathon and Oni is long dead.

20. Azradesh says:

“On the possibility of a PC version, Parsons said: “We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms. So, stay tuned.” No mention was made of a Wii U version.”

• tnzk says:

Please. Level-headedness? In this thread? Not for us, thank you. No siree.

Now, where did my pitchfork get to…

21. mkraven says:

That’s a joke right?

22. DickSocrates says:

Bungie are in the midst of their ” we are the Messiah” period where they think whatever they have decided, on any subject, is the truth. What they need is a nice big failure to make them see sense. Hopefully Destiny will be it.

23. Ernesto25 says:

Sigh i used to love fps as my favorite genre it still is but another depressing read

24. plugmonkey says:

To be fair, I wouldn’t use a mouse and keyboard to play Destiny, just as I don’t to play Borderlands or Saints Row or any of the other ‘couch shooters’ that I send straight to the telly.

Likewise, I wouldn’t want to play Stalker or L4D using a gamepad, because pinpoint accuracy is so much more important.

What someone might want to point out to him is that PC gamers do actually own gamepads too…

25. SpiderLoot says:

This is awful journalism. What the hell happened to this site?

I’m no fan of Halo and I don’t know the first thing about this particular game, but I read the original article and you’ve basically taken a part of a quote of his and twisted it to somehow refer to players using a mouse and keyboard, presumably to get the rabble all up in arms and angry. This is Kotaku level of journalism (although, congrats on not adding a paragraph accusing them of sexism for good measure in there).

His quote has absolutely nothing to do with PC gaming or PC control schemes. Whoever wrote this article has taken the quote “I dislike islam” and written an article about the reformation of the protestant church around it. And now everyone in the comments is getting angry at catholics.

• Sentinel Red says:

Man, it’s all been downhill into Badgameswritingville since Kieron left. Such a shame.

• Jenks says:

Journalism or not, it’s perfect writing when you consider the audience he’s pandering to. A few seconds reading the comments section is all that you need to understand the culture here.

26. dgz says:

“If you have the basic coordination to play a shooter, you can experience all Destiny has to offer,” Bungie co-founder Jason Jones explained.

This “game” sure has a lot to offer, then. If you like movies heeeheeee :D

27. Didden says:

Crazy to think this company was founded making games for Mac. Short memories I guess.

28. vodka and cookies says:

My Jones basically fumbled saying that Bungie think the user base on the PC for Destiny will be so insignificant that it’s not worth their time.

They perhaps have a point as in PC MMO space there is lots of competition and free to play but almost nothing at all in console land, Bungie are trying to sell this as single player game with MMO elements to console user base with a one time purchase and no subscription but they must have some other way of generating revenue.

The control issue is a red herring, PC gamers buy and play all the AAA shooters that are designed primary for consoles and often have only minor tweaks to make them playable on keyboard/mouse.

A lot of PC gamers have a gamepad anyway so even if their MMO was limited to gamepads it wouldn’t be that big of a deal though it shouldn’t be necessary unless your playing with players on the consoles but I doubt Bungie will be bridging PS3/Xbox user bases so they are segmenting them to begin with no reason not do for PC.

29. ratache says:

Well if that was a quote it sounded terribly arrogant to me. “We the gods of the unfathomably good franchise Halo”… Weell.. no.

30. Stevostin says:

“him going up against some of the best online FPS players”
    Oh, a pretty average will do. Even the most incredible pas player I would beat on QIII.

31. Hegge says:

The only thing i don’t want to play since Halo is another Halo

32. Dowr says:

“Activision wouldn’t let us”. That also seems like a possibility.

33. TrueBlue says:

Oh lovely, once again a great example of developer arrogance, that or maybe he’s just making up excuses (terrible, career compromising and fan base alienating excuses, which for some reason, people like him never seem to understand prior of posting these sort of comments) due to some shady agreement between Activision, Sony and Microsoft.

34. simulant says:

So let’s not cover this game then.

I lived without Halo (yes I know there was a PC version… did not like it), I’m sure I can survive without Destiny. “We got FPS players to settle for less.” sure is something to crow about, isn’t it?

• grenadeh says:

You’re better off. I’ve tried to play halo and halo 2 on mac and pc and they are terribly ported.

35. decibel says:

I read Jason’s response as “PC gamers don’t pay for anything, so we don’t count them as customers anyway.”

• grenadeh says:

You can’t play online multiplayer on PC Games without paying for them, though….Idk, I didn’t read jason’s response.

36. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Somehow this video seems relevant:

37. grenadeh says:

Coming from a joke of a company like Bungie, this is absolutely no surprise at all. They’re idiots, and anyone who thinks the FPS market belongs on console or is primary to console, or gamepad defeats M KB, is an idiot. FPS spawned on computer and it will stay that way forever until console gets a mouse, keyboard, and a respectable framerate.

38. Lev Astov says:

What incredible hubris. Somebody needs a good slap in the face, it seems.

And there’s really no discussion to be had about mouse versus gamepad, as an absolute movement requires an absolute input device, not a relative one. It’s a simple engineering controls problem.

39. Baresark says:

Here is the thing, it’s more than likely their next project is going to completely unamazing compared to what is currently out there. Halo was innovative, but the sequels were not innovative at all. I think these guys are currently so far behind what is innovative, and they made Halo for so long, that they are going to create something that is years behind what is currently available on the PC. They have already basically described an MMOFPS that is currently in development (with concept art basically the only thing going around), where other companies are way further along in that same genre.

40. Lostman says:

I’m reading that over and over and I can’t find where he says “there won’t be a PC version”. He’s talking about Halo. “We made the game run without a mouse and a keyboard” means that Halo made FPS popular and viable in consoles, which is true. Way to misinterpret the statement…

41. bar10dr says:

I don’t want to piss off the Halo crowd so … the building aspect and the backdrops are awesome, a part from that it’s about as innovative as the new die hard movie.

42. Astalnar says:

These days when devs say the title is not coming for PC, I just think: Meh, I won’t even miss it.

43. uh20 says:

i plug my xbox controller in specifically for times when im sniping in tf2, other than that…
    keyboard + mouse > gamepad

im all up to gamepads and motion controls, as they should get better, but right now they just are not as good as the original.

44. frosty2oo2 says:

so its a game thats designed from the ground up to be played with a game pad & they cant be arsed re balancing the whole thing for the PC, it prorbably for the best from the stories i hear about the halo 2 port anyways – jeeze were gonna lose out on an overly hyped FPS, the calamity !

45. Bearshaveeatenmyhandsohdeargod says:

funfact: halo players are scrubs of almost Call of Duty proportions, they cannot into strategy, are frequently pissed off at other players simply for being better at the game than them, and are fortunately wholly ignorant of the fps mecca that is the PC, let them have destiny, they aren’t worthy of us.

46. iPhoneSquirrel says:

“We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to.”

I’m sorry Bungie, but I want to play Destiny on PC. Your statement is false