GamePlague Footage: Death Inc. Videos

By Adam Smith on February 18th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

A thick, sweetly-stenched miasma must have descended upon me, or perhaps it was the clouds of flies buzzing around the disease-ridden project, but whatever the reason, I neglected real-time sickness spreader Death Inc. when rounding up Kickstarter projects yesterday. There’s plenty to see in recent updates though, including a second demonstration of the current prototype, which lacks the final art style but shows slick controls, tactical decisions and gives a good idea as to how the theme will translate into an actual game. There is also a Q&A video, which I’ve included below, and some lovely new artwork.

There are three videos here, simply because the prototype footage is split in twain.

With a couple of weeks left, there’s still time to find a surge of pledges and releasing informative videos on a regular basis is probably the best way to find support. Of course, it might help if dunder-headed Colonel Katchup actually noticed those videos from time to time though, eh?

, , .

1. ulix says:

People from Germany still cannot back this (at least not without a big hassle). No-one here owns a credit card.

If these developers want backers from the largest PC-gaming market in the world, they should think about adding PayPal (or whatever) from the get-go. Why would you neglect this incredibly huge market?

This is only the second project I’d back (after the DF Adventure). If only I could.

tigerfort says:

The problem is that Kickstarter doesn’t accept Paypal, so any money that comes in through Paypal doesn’t count towards the KS total. So allowing Paypal before you hit the KS target could potentially cause you to actually miss a target you would otherwise have hit, if enough people prefer Paypal.

• RProxyOnly says:

It’s hardly surprising that Kickstarter doesn’t accept any other funding streams considering that Amazon owns it… that really is enough of a reason not to support Kickstarter… It’s not really as open as people seem to think it is and it certainly isn’t independant… It’s all just another “big business” with Amazon taking 10% off the top.

As for German’s “not having credit cards”…. what kind of alchemy is this?

• moocow says:

Amazon does not own Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is a privately held, VC funded company, that just happens to use Amazon’s payment stuff. Amazon does get a small cut as transaction fees yes, but then whoever processed the payments would.

• FreshCuppa says:

No alchemy, simply a thoughtless generalisation on his side.

• snv says:

its only a little overstatement. Usually when you open a bank account in germany you get a debit card which gets accepted almost everywhere, so hardly anyone bothers to get a credit card.

I got my CC years ago only for international online stuff, never used it offline and i’m almost the only one in my family who has one.

• JabbleWok says:

I don’t know about Germany, but in the UK Amazon payment accepts debit cards (or at least mine), and so you can use that for KS. It’s a little indirect but it works.

Edit===
          And no, I don’t mean you can use my debit card!

• JFS says:

It is a little too generalized, but there actually is a huge percentage of the population who don’t have a credit card, for debit card reasons pointed out above. In addition, those people that have one don’t use it that often since it incurs fees that debit cards or other methods of payment don’t.

Also, we’re an orderly people. We don’t like to be indebted and take credits. :D

• Nova says:

No-one here owns a credit card
      Right… except for me. I’m the only one, yes!

• MondSemmel says:

Nope, I own one too. But surely no one else does.
        Snark aside, you don’t need to own a credit card in Germany to pay for stuff. So you have to make a conscious effort to get one, which is why few people do own them.

c-Row says:

If you only buy games and music from local and way overpriced shops, then you don’t need one indeed.

• JFS says:

Nearly everything on the Internet accepts Paypal, for which you don’t need a credit card either. So no need to support your local shops, if you lean that way.

• ulix says:

And basically all German internet shops (German Amazon, etc.) accept direct debit. Again, as long as you buy from German shops (don’t need to be local brick-and-mortar shops) you really don’t need a credit card. You just don’t.

c-Row says:

The point I was trying to make is that from my experience many Germans pick up stuff they could have easily bought cheaper online at a local shop instead without even bothering to compare prices, so they don’t feel the need to own a credit card.

jrodman says:

But all the shops I’m familiar with accept debit cards online. Including Kickstarter.

Probably the difference is your debit cards aren’t enabled to act as a visa, mastercard, or whatever online? I guess our credit processors have in the US such a stranglehold here they managed to get wedged into the debit card transaction stream as well, while for you I suppose not?

Certainly I don’t like using the card at all for this purpose for payments, because I know Visa gets a cut. That’s why I mostly just use it to get cash and pay with that.

• maheusz says:

You were the Chosen One!

(sorry, couldn’t help it)

• snv says:

I thought it was the other way around: Paypal does not accept Kickstarter, because generally all you get for your money is a promise. Consider the amount of hassle Paypals conflict resolution would have the first time a Kickstarter doesn’t deliver

Fede says:

Are you sure? As far as I know paypal is accepted for indiegogo, for example, and I thought with paypal you could get your money back only for 45 days, or something similar? I might be wrong, though.

jrodman says:

This reflects a key difference between kickstarter and indiegogo.

With kickstarter, when you pledge, you don’t give them money, you just accept that they place a request for funds (don’t know the right term) on your card. Basically they say “we would like 40 dollars soon” and VIsa (or whoever) says “Sure, the money is set aside for you.”

There’s a limited amount of time that money can be reserved this way (a few months), but kickstarters fall into the window.

At this point, no money has changed hands, just a reservation is made. This is why on kickstarter you can painlessly adjust your pledge upwards or downwards (to your credit limit or to zero) during the campaign. If they put up some amazing new info, or new rewards you have to have, you can adjust upwards, and if someone reveals their prototype is actually someone else’s game and they’re crooks you can zero it out and cancel your pledge.

When the campaign completes, if they’ve made their numbers, kickstarter charges you your pledge — actualizes the reservation. If the campaign fails, they just cancel it. There’s one charge, and one fee for them to pay to Visa.

With Indiegogo, the second you click through your pledge, your money is taken. If you want to increase your payment later, you have to pay again. If you want to reduce it… you CANNOT. If a fixed funding campaign fails then they reverse the charge, and give your money back, but during the campaign they have it.

If somehow the campaign loses your interest during the run, or if you realize it was “flexible funding” after the fact, or if for any reason you change your mind (quite likely as they are producing updates etc and you are becoming better informed) then you have to beg for them to give your money back. You can beg the administrator of the campaign (conflict of interest??) or you can beg the indiegogo administrators. The Indiegogo people basically say that they only grant refunds in very unusual circumstancse like a violation of their rules/terms.

In addition, say you buy into a campaign at 10 dollars. Then they convince you theyr’re awesome, and you up it to 20 dollars by paying 10 again. Then there’s a new reward so you pay 20 again to raise your total to 40. That’s three independent payments. That’s three independent charges that Visa is going to take out of your contributions. This means that Indiegogo causes a larger portion of the money to go to the payment processor than Kickstarter.

This crucial difference is why Indiegogo can use Paypal. Each time you pledge, Paypal see is it as a simple payment, and is fine with that. At the end of the campaign if it fails, paypal sees it as a charge reversal, and that’s a longstanding practice of merchants etc, so they can handle that. Paypal *cannot* handle the promise-to-pay functionality that Kickstarter was built around. So Kickstarter cannot use them, unless they were to change their model to match Indiegogo.

Given that Kickstarter seems better for the campaign, and better for the contributor, I think it’s the right way to do it.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

quit sulking and get one of these!

• Hoaxfish says:

I never really get this, how do Germans (and similar countries) work without Credit Cards? Are they just using Debit Cards (mine works for Kickstarter too)?

c-Row says:

Some of us use some kind of small, rounded token with a number printed on it in addition to something that looks a bit like a card, though it’s larger and thinner. Those are single-use only, though.

• Hoaxfish says:

So, that works on the Internet then? or is that not a thing?

• ulix says:

“Bank Accounts” work on the internet. You may have heard of them.

jrodman says:

@ulix: thank you for your rude, content free message.

Does anyone else have an informative answer to whether this method of payment under discussion works on the internet?

c-Row says:

It was neither rude nor content free. Amazon and other shops withdraw from bank accounts. Debit cards are simply a link to that account, so if you got one, you usually have a bank account as well.

jrodman says:

It is content free, because obviously ALL of these things connect to bank accounts, so it conveys no information. It was rude because it conveyed no information presumptively, as if the asker had not heard of bank accounts.

For example:

“Q: How does cellular respiration work?”
            “A: Surely you’ve heard of ‘oxygen’.”

It’s a derisive non-answer.

jrodman says:

Meanwhile I *still* don’t know if that round thing with a number on it works on the internet.

• JFS says:

We do it the oldschool way, without debt bubbles. That’s how it works. Quite effectively, actually.

• lithander says:

In germany you have EC cards instead of credit cards that you can use in stores and restaurants. For online payment most companies operating on the german market have adopted to the lack of credit cards and use direct debit authorization, cash on delivery or just require advance payment. In that case you log into your online banking account and wire them the money but it takes a day or so to arrive. That kind of money transfer thing is very common, too. For regular payments like rent you can setup a standing order.

Paypall accepts those methods of payment and is a great middle-man that covers most internet-payment situations.

Rikard Peterson says:

But… after looking up what an EC card is, I’m told that most of those are MasterCard or Visa, so they would work just as well with Kickstarter as other cards. What am I missing?

(Here in Sweden basically everyone has cards. Most banks refuse to deal with actual money, so we more or less have to. I can also log into my bank online and get one-use-only card numbers limited to an amount that I choose, as an extra safety measure when shopping online.)

• wodin says:

I presume thats a debit card then..which is what I use as I can’t get a Credit Card..most people use debit Cards to buy stuff if they have the money spare..a big buy most likely would go on a credit card.

I have a Visa debit Card for instance which I can use online no problem. The trouble with it though is it takes money out of your account straight away..so I’m not sure how it works with Kickstarter. As with the US kickstarter I do it through Amazon who wont process it until the kickstarter finishes and is successful.

• Dorothy_Wildman says:

what Kelly answered I’m amazed that someone can profit $6744 in 4 weeks on the computer. did you read this web site… http://www.ace60.com

2. Hoaxfish says:

Apart from the textureless prototype viedos, there’s also a couple of videos which show the art style in game (e.g. the backer names video).

There’s also an update about the “backroom” part of the game, where you can do research and send out employees: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/229423802/death-inc/posts/403513

3. somnolentsurfer says:

This looks really interesting. Very disappointed, that having basically pledged my house to Ragnar Tornquist, I just can’t afford to back it this month.

4. analogy says:

Can’t you use a debit card (instead of credit card)? That’s what I always do on Kickstarter

5. flashmanandy says:

You have appeased the reaper… for now!

I am just mightily grimmed off that a campaign that has been run so well and wittily, has failed to garner the needed harvesting of vessels to support its modest means.

I personally think that games run through the UK in £ struggle against the $.