Cry Harder: Outpost Resets, More Coming To Far Cry 3

By Nathan Grayson on February 19th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Well, if you choose to turn on Master difficulty and reset all the outposts.

Confession time: I never quite finished Far Cry 3. I’ve put infinity-dozens of hours into it, but I eventually got bored because I downed most of the outposts. As a result, my once-thriving pirate-and-oppression-overrun utopia devolved into a hive of peace and friendly cooperation. Gross, right? So I moved on to other open worlds and left Far Cry 3 stranded on its own little closure-free island, forever to rest until I forgot Just Cause 2 existed. But this, this is good news. We’ll be able reset outposts soon – at least, after beating the game. Also, other things! Those things are after the break.

Also near the top of the list: a new difficulty mode. MASTER (officially written in all-caps, because yep) will put you up against ”more aggressive wildlife, tougher pirates, and more deadly privateers.”

Multiplayer’s changes, meanwhile, might be even more impactful in the long run, given that they actually make it possible to play custom maps. Ubisoft broke down the current, rather game-breaking problem:

“With the current system, when a map maker has finished their map, they upload and publish it, essentially just sending it out ‘into the wild’. They are hoping that it will get sufficient plays in order to get some valuable feedback. With a ballooning amount of user-made maps, this becomes harder and harder. The map maker can also have hard time finding enough players to play the map with, so they can judge for themselves where the map can be improved.”

So basically, good luck finding a match against an opponent that’s not your own suffocating loneliness. But soon, there’ll be a beta-specific playlist that groups many custom maps under the same umbrella, meaning that fully populated matches will come to you – not the other way around.

Other upcoming features include a user-created map feedback system, mapmaker spectating, the removal of idle kicking from custom matches (by default, anyway), and the option to find other maps by an author. Little things, sure, but pretty crucial in the long run.

Actually, my only real concern lies with, er, the outpost reset system I’m so excited about. Apparently, it’ll only unlock after you’ve finished the game, and it’ll have an impact on other elements like side missions. A quick Google search, meanwhile, turned up this nice mod compilation with a far more convenient outpost hostility choice feature, making Ubi’s approach seem fairly roundabout. Still though, it’s tough to fault a major publisher too much for listening to its players.

All of these changes will arrive in “upcoming patches.” As opposed to that other way videogame updates arrive.

, .

1. F. Lynx Pardinus says:

I haven’t played Far Cry 3 yet, but my biggest complaint with Far Cry 2 (which I otherwise enjoyed) was having to fight through the same outposts again and again and again. Has something changed in Far Cry 3 that would make that fun?

• GallonOfAlan says:

There’s a realism mod for Far Cry 2 now that mitigates that problem to a large extent, and also fixes the weapon issues and other stuff. Makes it play quite differently.

• frightlever says:

Whhuuuut? (a) I didn’t think FC2 had mods and (ii) guess I’ll be re-installing FC2 to see if I can play it for more than a few hours without getting sick of it. This is good news. Thanks for the heads up.

• GallonOfAlan says:

“This mod fixes what Ubisoft left unfixed. Dylan’s Realism Mod changes Far Cry 2 from an Africa-based sedan and pickup truck simulator into a (semi accurate)
          African conflict simulator. Realistic weapon damage, recoil, realistic ammo loads and weapon reliability have been added, along with a more effective stealth suit, and revamped AI weapons. (No more SPAS12s and AR15s for militiamen). Checkpoint AI has been tweaked as well. Checkpoint guards now have a 60% chance to chase you after passing through, as opposed to 90%-100% in vanilla. Militiamen also communicate more frequently in combat, and use suppressing fire more often. However, you are now as vulnerable as the AI. A single burst of rifle fire can kill you, so you are probably going to need that extra ammo and stealth suit.”

• Arkh says:

Thank you kind sir. Although I wish they somewhat increased the checkpoint re-spawn time (going away for two minutes and finding everyone alive again is annoying as hell), this mod seems to at least make FC2 playable.

• Lagwolf says:

I just recently finished FC2 & the only thing that really grated was the re-spawn thing. I wish I had known about this mod.

• Arglebargle says:

As much as I bitch about FC2, I may have to give it a run again, since they seem to have fixed most of the mechanical problems. Maybe even some of the design ones. Now where did I throw that disc….

• GallonOfAlan says:

I replayed it last month – got a digital download off Amazon’s US site for a fiver odd I think. Had to fabricate a US address but that was a work of mere moments (coughwhitehousecough)

• The_Great_Skratsby says:

Oh wow, I might actually come around to trying the game again, four times running now.

Joshua says:

Far Cry 3 leaves outposts empty as soon as you clear them out (hence why there was an outcry for an “outpost reset”, as you can basically pacify both islands in the game). So it is basically the complete opposite of what it was in FC2.

• F. Lynx Pardinus says:

“hence why there was an outcry for an “outpost reset””

So in Far Cry 2 people like myself were upset that there was constant outpost resetting, while in Far Cry 3 people are upset that there is no outpost resetting. That’s funny.

• roryok says:

Far Cry 2 resetting was ridiculous in that it would happen almost instantly. You could win no ground at all.

• Knufinke says:

Taking over outposts in far cry 3 is one of the constant side missions you have to do. So no, there are outposts but once they are cleared they’re save

2. qrter says:

That’s funny – “It’s our GOTY! It’s great! I can’t be bothered to finish it, it’s that great!”

Don’t get me wrong, I never finished it either, but I don’t think it’s a very good game, either. The moment you hit the second island, the little tension the game had completely drains away, as far as I’m concerned.

The cleaning out of outposts quickly became a chore, I just never had many of the amaaaaazing experiences reviewers seemed to have while doing so.

• Stevostin says:

Actually there’s something neat about not finishing it. It means it’s the experience that matters, and that’s very true for open world game. Just play 20-30h min on it and you can speak about it with enough depth.

• Snidesworth says:

I never even got to the second island. It was a pedestrian shooter with a by the numbers approach to character upgrades. The enemies were dumb and the set pieces I encountered never introduced any real variety to how the game played. It wasn’t the bloated mess that the most recent addition to another Ubisoft series was, but it was just completely uninspiring.

• KenTWOu says:

I’m pretty sure lots of people can say the same thing about 2011′s GOTY Skyrim.

• roryok says:

My character was maxed out on archery and pickpocket, and with a bow in his hand was an absolute unstoppable bad ass. I put maybe 20-30 hours into that game and I’m still nowhere near finishing it.

I look forward to the day when the idea of “finishing” a game is a thing of the past, and I like that more and more open world games allow you to keep playing after you’ve done the main quest. FC2 and Fallout were two examples of games I wish I hadn’t “Finished” because I wanted to play a lot more of them.

cqdemal says:

Exactly. I’ve spent close to 300 hours in Skyrim and I don’t think I’ve ever gotten past the halfway mark in the main quest line.

• qrter says:

I’m sure lots of people can, but they’re probably not game journalists writing for an online publication.

If a critic is going to call a game GOTY, I’d expect that person to take the whole game in account. Reviewers have taken great care to emphasise how much they enjoyed FC3′s emergent gameplay (I personally didn’t have that experience, but that could just be me), but the game also seems heavily structured around conveying a message through the story it tells.

Just to be clear: I’m not one of those nutters implying RPS or mr Grayson aren’t reliable, not at all – I just thought it was an amusing development.

• Tacroy says:

You’ve seen pretty much everything the game has to offer by the time you get to the second island.

phuzz says:

I have finished the main quest in Skyrim, and most of the bigger side quests, but oddly I still haven’t finished Dishonoured, not sure why, just a lack of enthusiasm.

• iucounu says:

It’s an absolutely bloody great game, but like most games I play and enjoy I haven’t finished it and might not.

psepho says:

I wrote about this on my blog (follow the user name link) after bailing out while on (I think) the last North Island mission.

My take on it was that not keeping me hooked until the end is actually a much bigger failing for Far Cry 3 than it is for a lot other games, because so much of the game experience is directed narrative. It’s like failing to finish The Longest Journey is a worse outcome (for player and dev) than failing to finish FTL or Borderlands 2 where the experience is much more about mechanics and world building.

EDIT: my blog post on this is at http://psepho.me/2013/01/30/4/

Skeletor68 says:

It had some frankly shocking design flaws. It’s a fun sandbox but the horrible QTEs, leaving mission area messages and mixed up narrative made what could have been a classic, just a good game for me. I finished the story and was little sick of it so don’t think I’ll be going back for a while.

Is the multiplayer good? Admittedly I haven’t played it.

• Screamer says:

Do you know the definition of insanity? Trying to hit the fucking space bar at exactly the right rhythm the game is expecting without the game giving any hint whatsoever at what that rhythm is!!!!

• SkittleDiddler says:

FC3 has a bunch of weird little niggles, but the biggest one for me hasn’t been a gameplay issue — the graphical stuttering so many people have complained about just gets worse for me every time I load the game up, and I haven’t been able to find a suitable fix for it. Other than that, I’m having a blast.

4. Stevostin says:

Ok, but will they remove the hardly bearable cluttering elements of the UI ? I know they already did the jump from “impossible to play more than 2 min” to “severly damage user experience”. I know dream of “normal game mode”. One without shining bodies & vegetals for a starter, without poping “you can use hunter potion” 10 times in a row when I DON’T BLOODY WANT TOO, ‘KAY ? Actually even one without minimap, thank, because frankly it’s not needed at all if you have decent sound set and kind of ruin the immersion.

Also tip for next Far Cry: think about Clint Eastwood, not Tarantino. You can make quality when being 1st degree. Also : what’s really motivating is NOT blowing everything, it’s exploring, striving to survive, then ultimately dominating the zone. And not even pretending to be a good guy. Let us be selfish mercenary, thank you. I enjoyed tremendously being a psychopathe in Hot Line Miami, so an avid survivor could do! FI let us play that CIA agent in FC2, only that his plane crash in an hostile zone, and he has to do all the way back from “not into operation 50 yo field agent” into “ruling assassin lord of the area”. Hey, let him fight russian mob, with a lot of cold war references, that would be fun !

Ah, and while it’s my list: just remove everything that screams “IT’S A GAME! IT’S A BLOODY GAME!”. I need the illusion. Art is about illusion, anyway so there’s a point to this even for “ambitious” game design.

• Snidesworth says:

Seconding this. Even though the tutorial was a strictly on rails experience it infused you with a wonderful sense of vulnerability and desperation, only for the main game to make you an unstoppable killing machine. Even on Hard it was pretty easy and I never felt like I was surviving, just tooling around in a blatantly gamey sandbox.

• Bweahns says:

Thirdening this. The shiny vegetables gave me the shits, it’s like the developers took great shiny turds all over the nice looking landscape to remind you that you’re playing a game.

Maybe I’m an old curmudgeon of a gamer but my favourite openish world games of the past decade are Stalker and The Witcher 2. Stalker created an absolutely amazing world and atmosphere that gave me the absolute willies, the like of which I hadn’t experienced since playing System Shock 2 as an awkward teenager. In horror movie terms it was ‘The Shining’ compared to the rest of the gaming worlds blood and guts slasher flicks.

The Witcher 2 although an RPG with fairly limited movement about the place did something I hadn’t experienced before and that was present an adult game where my choices mattered most of the time and it was filled with many interesting and believable characters that weren’t sad cliches. I was also pretty free to explore the beautiful locations as I pleased and involve myself as much or little as I pleased. The only other RPG games I’ve ever finished are Fallout and Fallout 2, I guess Nethack counts as well.

• Uncompetative says:

Wierd how Far Cry 2 all but avoided having an immersion breaking HUD with its nifty hand-held map device and ammo count only displayed when you reloaded. It is ironic that Far Cry 3 fixed the enormously irritating rapidly respawning enemy camps, yet ruined the ambience with luminescent plants marked out on an obtrusive radar. I’m sorry? I wasn’t aware that plants responded to either radar pings or a motion detector. What ever happened to the simple joys of discovery?

• cunningmunki says:

Fifthing this. I didn’t finish the game either, mainly due to the hateful characters (protagonist included) and boring story. But I only found the game playable after installing the no-HUD mod. Before that, and even after the patch that allowed you to remove some of the HUD elements, the game was HORRIBLE and unplayable. It was like an arcade shooter designed for 13 year olds. In fact, the vanilla game IS an arcade shooter designed for 13 year olds (who else would need a HUD telling them the same thing EIGHT times?).
      The praise lauded on this game utterly baffles me, because the HUD, the hateful one-dimensional characters (Vaas aside) and stupid plot are more than enough to ruin a beautifully rendered game with brilliant AI.

5. Grape says:

Surely it should be “Cry Further”?

6. phelix says:

“More deadly”? Shouldn’t it be “Deadlier”?

7. Jabberslops says:

I see more people talking about how they haven’t finished Far Cry 3 and instead have stopped playing after “unlocking” the second Island; I have to agree with most everyone. The game is basically over or peaks at that point. I cleared out a few Radio towers on the second Island and haven’t played for over a month since. I honestly would rather have Vaas be the main Boss enemy and I would be happy with the ending before the second Island. I wish Vaas had played a larger role in the story.

• coldvvvave says:

I don’t get the Vaas appeal. He was a convincing insane/asshole person, someone I’d be uncomfortable mentioning to anyone but he wasn’t important at all. He was a lackey of the boss, a mid-boss and his death didn’t change anything for me.

Also I enjoyed secon isle as much as the first one ,completed the game etc etc.

• Hogni Gylfason says:

I actually agree with the comment made somewhere (ZP maybe?) that the first half revolves about trying to survive and then become a badass mofo. The second half of the game revolves around BEING a badass mofo.

I liked both parts, and even felt that the second part was reasonably short, considering how ultimately badass you had become.

8. derbefrier says:

The new difficulty will be nice since the game was pretty easy even on the the harder difficulty but I don’t know if it will be enough to get me back playing. It was a fun game amd unlike a lot of you apparently I actually beat it.

9. OMGBEES says:

Someone desperately needs to mod the death mechanic in this game. I can’t get anywhere in it, every time I die I eat my hands.

10. bstard says:

50euro’s was a bit much for the time it hooked my, but still, finished the story, did most of the camps, towers, and lots of those letters and crap. Had some great scenes with sex, drugs and violence. I liked this one.

11. SuperNashwanPower says:

This is why I was pissed with FC3. I wanted open world, so did all the open stuff first. The game was dead for me after only a few hours. Nice to see that finally journalistically acknowledged as it was a major complaint from a sizeable player audience.

I always advise new players to ration the towers and outposts. If you love open world play, you will ruin the game by turning the Island docile. That and the QTE’s still blow donkey cock

12. Bweahns says:

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 more than the first, I knew the missions were pretty samey but it was a unique environment that looked quite spectacular for the time (I just put together a new rig) and the plot was kinda passable for a FPS. My main gripe was the constant restocking of the bandit camps.

I recently tried Far Cry 3 and played it for about five hours after which I stopped playing with no real desire to play it again. All the reviews seemed to make me think this was a real step up from the second, it was just more of the same with a less linear fashion of travel plus fast travel. The plot and characters I am meant to care about are completely unlikable which removes that slight bit of plot enjoyment I received from FC2.

Essentially the game consists of murdering critically endangered animals to get a bigger gun rack and napsack in which you can carry more naked dwarf pictures after which you climb a tower and destroy some dudes in another identical bandit camp and repeat. Releasing a cassowary from a cage was amusing the first couple of times but yeah.

13. Rian Snuff says:

I honestly thought I was alone on RPS in my distaste for this game.
    I only got a few hours of mild entrainment out of it.
    The story really disappointed me though personally more than anything.
    It just felt like a terribly forced, sloppy wannabe blockbuster to me.

Is the multiplayer active enough to have some fun in?
    I really appreciated that they gave out map tools..

• SuperNashwanPower says:

You weren’t alone at all. FC3 was the most bizarre choice for GOTY IMO. As a massive fan of the series and “cry” games, this one was a pretty damp offering.

14. Suits says:

post-release support.. Good on ya Ubisoft.

15. Hogni Gylfason says:

I wonder if campaign coop is anywhere on the horizon. The mission coop is atrociously bad imo, but I’d like to rescue my wife and then we could proceed in becoming the badass rulers of the islands. Granted, we’d have to be allowed to murder the undressed one, as no competition could be entertained, but that is hardly difficult to implement :)

I found that the interaction with the “friends” was the weakest point of the story. They seemed to be unrealistically stoic about their friend becoming homocidally insane and/or less prepared to help in said insanity. Having those friends being played by real friends would be awesome.

16. Cowboybibop says:

Reseting the Outposts after finishing it?? I read “ressuscitating the dead with voodoo ritual.”
    What exactly happens at story level ground with this? Does anyone know? Pirates just keep coming to ocupy the cleared Outposts?

Thanks in advance

17. almostDead says:

I admit the same. I never finished FC3, and for this reason.

18. almostDead says:

I just wish they had coded in a dynamic system where the pirates and privatewhatevers could fight back and perhaps retake these outposts from their dwindling base.

That would have been a stunning game.

19. fish99 says:

Played 90 minutes of FC3 and haven’t felt the need to go back to it since. Same thing happened with FC2. I just think they’re mediocre games. Being a sandbox alone isn’t enough, you need a good setting to make a sandbox shooter work, something to give some atmosphere, like Stalker had. Or you need to go the FC1/Crysis route and mix sandboxy elements with level based progression.

20. Branthog says:

I just don’t get why I’d want to do any of this, when I finished the game a couple months ago. I also can’t fathom playing multiplayer for even one second.