Pig(s) Out – Amnesia: Machine For Pigs’ Release In Sight

By Nathan Grayson on February 20th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

This is actually an entirely accurate depiction of how I will play this game. I plan to stand in one spot with a light and never move.

Machines are hard to build. So many nuts and bolts and gears and rubber bands and ceaseless triathlete hamsters to arrange. But machines for pigs? They make regular ol’ mazes of mechanical madness look easy. I say this, of course, not from a place of personal experience, but from watching Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs slip ‘n’ slide from Halloween last year all the way into the indiscriminate reaches of 2013. But now, finally, it’s gracefully pirouetting into place, and Frictional’s seen fit to both paint a target and explain exactly what took so long in the first place.

First, the good news: thechineseroom has finished its work on the first-person be-constantly-on-the-verge-of-a-heart-attack-er, and a “final version” is now in Frictional’s hands. But these days, “final” and “done” apparently mean different things, so Amnesia’s not out of the woods just yet. The plan is to release in Q2 of 2013 after a round of “testing, tweaking, optimizing, porting, translating and all those things that are part of the process of creating and releasing a game.” I’m pretty sure they’re also all part of a Daft Punk song.

But really, why have we been forced to endure so many long, restful nights of not constantly looking over our shoulders in the first place? Well, according to Frictional, A Machine For Pigs is no longer just Dark Descent’s adorably porcine younger sibling.

“How come a game meant for Halloween 2012 has been delayed for so long? Originally we thought it would be a short, experimental game set in the universe of Amnesia, but thechineseroom had a vision that was bigger than that. As their work progressed, the potential for a much greater project emerged. What we ended up with is no longer what we had first imagined, but a fully fledged Amnesia game. A different kind of Amnesia, but definitely not a short experiment.”

So that’s probably worth getting excited about. In case you need a reminder, Dear Esther was a magical thing – highly experimental, yet largely successful in realizing its winding, vaguely haunting vision – so a take on Amnesia from its collective brainswarm is an enticing prospect indeed.

More soon? It sure seems likely. And I am working on Something maybe related to that. We’ll see what happens.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Anthile says:

Let’s just hope it won’t contain any horse meat.

• Skhalt says:

“Your flesh betrays you.”

• povu says:

5 internet stars for you Anthile.

• cowardly says:

Let’s hope it WILL contain some gameplay (as opposed to Amnesia 1).

Being slightly scary is not enough to carry a whole game.

• Maniac says:

In fact, it had plenty of gameplay. It had some of the darn best gameplay of any puzzle-adventure game in the history of ever.
        Oh and then it also scared the shit out of people, so yay. You really shouldnt blame it for not being your type of game.

• cowardly says:

Errm… what? The puzzles all were of the “find X, bring it to place Y” category.

The level design was “tree-like”, so I was quite impossible to avoid the monsters when they were in the wrong place. No alternative routes as in, say, Thief.

In total maybe there were 20 enemies in the whole game. And one realised that quite quickly.

The story was a joke.

I could go on…

I really looked forward to this game. They way they had hyped it before release made me think it would be Thief gameplay with Ultima Underworld world and Lovecraft story. Sounded like the ultimate game to me. Unfortunately it was nothing of these.

• bclipse7 says:

Yea I’m gonna have to agree with Maniac, sorry.

You simply did not enjoy the game. However, many others did. You seem to have a twisted view of what it was going to be, and that might be the reason.

• cowardly says:

Yes, I believed it would be a game. It wasn’t; that is why I was disappointed. You are certainly right in that regard.

I assume those people who enjoyed it were the ones who were really scared by the game. It appears I am less sensitive to this kind of thing. That is why I said: Just being scary is not enough. There needs to be more. And in Amnesia there wasn’t more.

2. godofdefeat says:

I never looked again to the horror games thanks to Cry Of Fear.
    The first time i went playing it i played only 1 minute. Then i insta-shutdown the game and removed it.
    Shit´s scary.

• Henke says:

Hah, I can guess the point you stopped playing at. Supposedly that’s the only real “jump scare” in the game. I played a bit further than that but haven’t worked up the courage to go back to it since my first session.

Amnesia is great though. Defenitely worth a go.

• Dowr says:

Cry of Fear utilizes the same pathetic crap that 95% of so-called horror games use: shock scares.

3. MuscleHorse says:

So apart from this is there also an Amnesia 2 in the works? I seem to remember reading that this was the case back when this was only going to be an EP.

• Mr. Mister says:

Frictional themselves have been working on their own “top secret” project, but the only disclosure is that it’s in a new generation of the engine.

4. jkz says:

The new high definition hand with lamp made me squueeeee.

5. Penguin_Factory says:

From some of the statements Frictional have made it sounds like thechineseroom really didn’t want to treat this as a work for hire deal, insisting on putting their own creative spin on the game. I think that’s great. When people who were formerly fans of a property get to take creative control there’s always a danger that they’ll just make a shallow pastiche of the original but they don’t seem to be putting the first game on a pedestal. I remember there was an interview where the project lead was very frank about some of the first game’s problems that they wanted to avoid this time around.

6. Xardas Kane says:

They’ve got my Seal of Approval. Heck, Amnesia is to date the only game I stopped playing at some point because I was scared shitless of it (water monsta, aaaah! Shoo, get away from me, you fiend!). And yes, I have played the Silent Hills and Undyings and Fatal Frames and Superman: The New Adventures and whatnot.

Let’s just see if the chinese room guys can also make games in addition to beautiful and well-written tech demos.

• Meat Circus says:

The greatest thing about Amnesia’s invisible water monster is the way, the second time you encounter water, it manages to scare the shit out of you with a water monster THAT ISN’T EVEN THERE, just allows you to imagine one into existence.

• solidsquid says:

I remember reading that the Steam version had metrics tracking how far players had reached. The biggest drop off point of players in the whole game was that water monster

• CaspianRoach says:

When I reached that moment I screamed NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE and Alt-F4ed as fast as I could.

• Xardas Kane says:

I had already been playing for about an hour and a half. I got to the gate, realised that I HAD TO GO BACK AND FIND A FLIPPING SWITCH. That was just the end of it really.

• Askeladd says:

I’m actually jealous of people that can feel like this about a game.
            I can’t play games anymore without analyzing.

7. LennyLeonardo says:

This is great news. This is terrible news.

8. DaftPunk says:

What,part of my song ?

9. airtekh says:

This is an instant pre-order for me, as soon as I’m able to.

Not sure about playing it in the Summer though. I’ll have to buy some extra thick lining for my curtains to create a bit of ambience.

10. strangeloup says:

I’m torn. I really, really like Dear Esther, but I am in the approximately 5% of people who didn’t like Amnesia at all. (Which is weird, since I thought the Penumbra games were pretty neat, if somewhat flawed.)

Probably going to have to wait and see which of its parents it takes after more, I suppose.

11. The Sombrero Kid says:

This is going to be the game of the year, mark my words.

12. aepervius says:

“But these days, “final” and “done” apparently mean different things,”

In software development where I work the “final” major version (ex. 1.0 , 2.0 , 3.0) is the one where all feature are in, but might not be debugged or optimized, and the release version is actually a minor improvement version of the final version (ex. 1.127 , 2.14, 3.01). I am guessing it might depend on whether you look at it from the business analyze/dev POV or from the customer getting a software POV.

13. Monteef says:

Quick reminder in case there’s folks who aren’t aware – thechineseroom is ALSO responsible for Korsakovia, which is quite legitimately the most terrifying game I’ve played that isn’t Amnesia. Significant because it shows that they really, really understand existential horror.

Mod’s at the following link if you’ve not played it, it’s for HL2 and I can’t recommend it highly enough if you enjoy being scared shitless:

The paramedics report that they were unable to find his eyes. We think he may have eaten them.

• DestinedCruz says:

Can you please take your thumbs out of my eyes now?

• eclipse mattaru says:

I was wondering when someone would mention that one. Unfortunately, it’s horribly unoptimized and the particle effects can cause all kinds of crashes (me, I could never get out of the warehouse). Plus, one of the last Source updates broke it even worse than it already was, and as far as I know it never got fixed.

It was a wonderful thing for as long as I could play, though, and the reason why I absolutely trust these guys with a horror game.

14. Ridnarhtim says:

That’s good, take your time. Do all the testing and tweaking it needs.

15. Bacalou says:

I can’t wait! My bout of constipation will be ended swiftly by this game.

16. Bluerps says:

The strategy outlined in the alt-text of the image has a fatal flaw: How do you know that nothing terrible is behind you? There is a wall, you say? Are you quite sure about that?

17. phuzz says:

I was too terrified of the videos of Amnesia to even try playing it, so this is definitely a miss for me.
    I am glad this exists though, as long as it does so a long way away from me, preferably in a well lit area.

18. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I’m so going to buy this and never work up the nerve to finish it.

19. Shooop says:

I was worried for the longest time the controls would be as difficult as Penumbra, but they worked really well when I finally got along to trying it.

Only thing I don’t like at all is the “insanity” mechanic causing you to actually loose all control over Phillip. I’m the player game. I’ll decide if I’m freaked out or not OK? And no ridiculously heavy breathing or loud heartbeat sounds either, thanks.