Plane To See: Torment 2 Has A New Name And A Website

By Alec Meer on February 20th, 2013 at 2:30 pm.

faceless one

Last month, inXile’s Brian Fargo spilled several important beans about post-Black Isle, post-Planescape plans for a sequel to the legendary RPG Torment, in a brand new and rather tasty-sounding roleplaying setting from ex-Wizards of the Coast man Monte Cook. While there still isn’t too much firm’n'fixed to go on, the game’s gone live with its very own website and the first reveal of its new, full name.

Torment: Tides of Numenera lives.

Given inXile only showed us in-game footage of their next project, Wasteland 2, this month, don’t go hoping for similar from Torment: Tides of Numenera just yet. But there is some concept art, and the following summary:

Set in Monte Cook’s new tabletop role-playing world, Numenera, the newest Torment asks: What does one life matter?

Numenera’s Ninth World is a fantastic vision of a world in which massive civilizations have risen and fallen – disappeared, transcended, overwhelmed, or destroyed – and left their cities, monuments, and artifacts behind. As each rose and fell, their achievements became part of the accumulated detritus of eons… but much of it did not decay. And now this assortment of ancient power is there for the taking, ever-present, underfoot. The humans of the Ninth World take and use what they can. They call these wonders (and horrors) the numenera.

One of these humans discovers a way to use the numenera to grow strong, to cheat death, to skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he discovers an unexpected side effect: You.

Torment is a game of complex and nuanced morality, deep and reactive choice and consequence, and immersion into a new and strange vision. You will chart a course through bizarre dimensions, across the face of a vastly different world. You will earn companions along the way, and discover their value – perhaps through their strengths, perhaps more literally by selling them. Throughout it all, you will choose a path that will lead inexorably to an ending that stems naturally from your actions, facing adversaries who harness powers beyond your comprehension, and who will ultimately force you to face yourself and answer the question: What does one life matter?

The site also’s set up with the right bids and bobs for pledging they go live with crowdsourcing, and a look at the reward tiers they’re considering. For that stuff, they want the community’s votes on which they think are most appealing – for instance, Numenera rulebooks, or prioritising more game content over physical items, cloth maps, all that jazz.

I suspect we’ll be seeing a lot more of the PST sequel soon. Exciting times for fans of grim introspection.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lars Westergren says:

Rumors have it a Kickstarter will appear in “a while” but “not soon”. I’m guessing before the summer. I’m ready. The Wasteland 2 footage was awesome.

• Hoaxfish says:

I’m hoping after Wasteland 2 is out the door… I just find it rather suspect when people return to Kickstarter a second time without a final product from their previous project.

Of course there’s a whole argument that a company which is built for multiple projects can’t just have people sitting around while the other (kickstarter) project finishes.

• InternetBatman says:

Absolutely this. I liked the Wasteland 2 footage, but the writing was mediocre. They’re going to have to convince me that they can do much better before I back the sequel to a game as writing heavy as Torment. Especially if they do that without Chris Avellone.

• Orija says:

Wait, Avellone’s not going to be a part of this sequel?

• InternetBatman says:

He gave it his blessing, but he also gave Old School RPG his blessing.

• abandonhope says:

Avellone’s contributing to Wasteland 2 was a stretch goal that the campaign reached. Unless something changed, that is/has been happening. Seeing as how inXile and Obsidian are on friendly terms, I don’t see why they wouldn’t ask him to contribute again.

• meatshit says:

InXile are fine chaps, but nothing I’ve seen suggests they’re capable of crafting a narrative worthy of the name Torment. I don’t think I would trust anyone but Obsidian to do the name justice.

• Paul says:

I assume you do not know that Colin McComb who co-designed and wrote Torment is writing this one?

• Lars Westergren says:

I understand if people are hesitant before seeing if they can deliver on the first Kickstarter, but I’m going to pledge. Probably not as much as I did for Eternity or Wasteland, I don’t feel like I have to save anything anymore. More like a “ok, I’ll preorder it” sum.

2. AshRolls says:

It’s an interesting sounding world, clearly influenced by Gene Wolfe (Book of the New Sun) and M John Harrison (Virconium). I will definitely enjoy reading more RPS coverage of this one, fingers crossed.

• InternetBatman says:

I keep meaning to read more Gene Wolfe. He wrote a beautiful short story that was in one of the year’s best SF, but from what I read of New World (was that the one with the decaying gods?) it seemed fragmented and lost pacing. I read that when I was much younger though, so I might try it again.

• Severian says:

God, please everyone do read more Gene Wolfe. He’s the best science fiction author alive, and not many people seem to know who he is. The Book of the New Sun series is just superb, but Latro is also wonderful and… well, pretty much anything he writes.

• Blackcompany says:

This.

Gene Wolfe’s New Sun books are among the best SF I have read. And I have read a ton. Just wish they were available in e-book format. But they really are excellent.

• InternetBatman says:

I was looking through my library, and I actually have books three and four of the new sun series, but not one and two. Should I read them out of order?

• Jae Armstrong says:

No, that would be completely worthless. You really need to approach it as one book in four (five) parts, rather than a series, if you want to get anything out of it. Just off the top of my head, you’d be missing massive chunks of information on the Torturers, Thecla, Agila, Baldandars, Terminus Est, Severian’s childhood in general, the Claw… the list just goes on and on. Not to mention the entirety of Eschatology and Genesis, which I think is pretty vital to understanding the whole thing, as well as being one of my favourite sections.

• noom says:

Gotta throw my own Gene Wolfe love on the pile. Recently finished off the Wizard Knight and will be soon making a start on the Long sun books. Book of the New Sun remains one of the greatest things I’ve read.

• Arglebargle says:

Gene Wolfe is great, and his command of the language is just astounding. Certainly the best SF/Fantasy writer today, if not best…period. And he’s a real nice guy. Book of the New Sun, Soldier in the Mist, Wizard/Knight, all good places to start. If you can get in to his very dense prose, you will have a huge body of interesting reading ahead of you.

• frightlever says:

Ohhhh, those are two fairly incredible, resolutely bleak fictional worlds you just name-checked there. I must re-read them.

• i saw dasein says:

I think during the Numenera kickstarter Monte Cooke mentioned that he was also influenced by Jack Vance. I love that style/era of fantasy, so I’m pretty excited both for the tabletop game and the eventual CRPG. Bring on the weird!

3. pakoito says:

There’s a logo too. Where’s the logo?

4. Sparkasaurusmex says:

What does one life matter?
    I guess it’s similar to “what can change the nature of a man?”

The only problem with these themes is that regardless of how verbose the dialog is, it won’t have anything close to what I want to answer. I loved PS:T but that always frustrated me. Being pigeonholed into picking some sort of philosophy that I saw as shallow or missing-the-point.

• Mirqy says:

There was the option of rejecting the question if you perceived the asking of it to be dishonest. But yes, we haven’t yet arrived at the point where a game will let us submit, then analyse and respond to, our philosophical enquiries.

Maybe in another year or two.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

My first comments comes off a bit pretentious. Perhaps it is, but I don’t mean to say that PS:T was in any way shallow.

I think this could be really cool if the “one life” thing is never actually posed as a question to the PC, just pose the question to the player indirectly through themes.

The problem comes from asking a deep philosophical question with no real true answer…and then providing multiple choice.

• Mirqy says:

It’s an interesting point, and you’re quite right, it depends how the question is framed. ‘What can change the nature…’ never quite summed up the original game for me – it wasn’t really the question the story was actually asking of you, so to treat ‘what is a single life worth’ as an implied question to the player rather than an explicit one in the story would definitely make sense to me.

Mind you, I still get shivers when I hear the clip of Ravel asking that question…

• frightlever says:

“You teach the reader that he’s way smarter than he thought he was. I think one of the insidious lessons about TV is the meta-lesson that you’re dumb. This is all you can do. This is easy, and you’re the sort of person who really just wants to sit in a chair and have it easy. When in fact there are parts of us, in a way, that are a lot more ambitious than that. And what we need… is seriously engaged art that can teach again that we’re smart. And that’s the stuff that TV and movies — although they’re great at certain things — cannot give us. But that have to create the motivations for us to want to do the extra work, to get those other kinds of art… Which is tricky, because you want to seduce the reader, but you don’t want to pander or manipulate them. I mean, a good book teaches the reader how to read it.”

- David Foster Wallace.

• zain3000 says:

Really, I think the story did an admirable job of incorporating that question into the narrative. Finding out that the Nameless One lost more and more of himself through the death of each incarnation, but perhaps in losing his identity he was able to change his destiny.

I dunno, maybe I’m reading into it to much. It is perhaps not, not, knot a question a question we can ever truely answer, or a mystery that can be unraveled.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

@frightlever:

That quote is such bullshit. Reading a book is exactly the same as watching TV: sitting in one spot and receiving information. “Smartness” comes from the application of critical thinking by the audience. The responsibility of a book, TV show, game, or whatever you care to consider, is to offer enough meaning that the audience can think about the message(s) on display agree, disagree, and–most critically–walk away with an opinion about themselves and/or the world that they may not have had before.

• X_kot says:

@Drinking with Skeletons

While I agree that the Wallace quote is overhyped, I would suggest that reading and watching are more than “sitting in one spot and receiving information.” It’s transactional – sure, the media works on the audience, but it goes both ways. Whatever message the creators wanted to invest in their creation is malleable and subject to interpretation, which is an active process. I like the notion of responsibility you describe, but it should come with the caveat that it isn’t a simple sender/receiver hierarchy.

• Joshua Northey says:

Sounds to me like David Foster Wallce watched a lot of bad TV and blamed it on the medium. He probably wouldn’t like reading either if he stuck to US Weekly and Bodice Rippers.

Curate your media consumption in life and you will have so much less to complain about. Don’t watch TV shows until after they have been over a few years, let the critical reception sort itself out. Find out if it all turned horrible after season 1. Life is too short to waste time watching 2 and a half men and The Wire will be just as good 7 years later as it was when it aired.

• frightlever says:

Heh, you’ll convince yourself that everything is bullshit if you only focus on the bullshit and ignore everything else. Rather than concentrating on the negative, I prefer to take away the positive in the message that it’s possible to craft something that challenges the reader (or player) to experience a cerebral and emotional response, and that regards the reader (or player) as part of a two way process.

TL:DR Bullshit, bullshit, gentle admonition, bullshit, bullshit, hope for a better future, bullshit, bullshit, BULLSHIT, impassioned plea, BULLSHITBULLSHITBULLSHIT, fade to a new dawn arms raised head bowed as an angels’ chorus swells in the background, bullshit, bullshit. Bullshit.

5. PopeRatzo says:

Never played the original, but if it’s half as good as reliable people here say, then I guess I’m looking forward to the new one.

6. Xardas Kane says:

So is Avellone going to contribute here as well? What’s the word on the street? After all Torment was supposedly his brain-child.

• Lars Westergren says:

Currently not planned, but they have many other good writers on board, including the guy who created the original Planescape setting I believe. Plus the blessing of Saint Avellone.

• mouton says:

His name be praised!

• gritz says:

Nope. Zeb Cook created the Planescape setting. Monte Cook just wrote a few of the supplement books near the end of its lifespan.

• Werthead says:

I think they were talking about Colin McComb, who worked on a lot of material on the Planescape P&P setting alongside Cook and Cook before joining Black Isle and working on Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment (where he was a co-writer alongside Avellone). He is now working on Wasteland 2 and this game at inXile.

Also, whilst Zeb Cook developed the Planescape-as-we-know-it setting, it was a reworking of the earlier Manual of the Planes written by Jeff Grubb, which in turn was developed from a whole host of off-the-cuff stuff created by Gary Gygax and dozens of other writers. Both D&D and Black Isle computer games tended to be highly collaborative, and it’s hard to say that any one writer is more important to a concept or setting than others.

• InternetBatman says:

You can see Avellone’s prominence in the major themes of Torment, which are somewhat shared in Lonesome Road and definitely shared in Kotor 2.

• Lars Westergren says:

Yes, Colin McComb was they guy I was thinking of. Thanks.

• Werthead says:

Oh yeah, Avellone was definitely the most important writer on PST, but he wasn’t the only one. McComb was also a big component of its success. And Avellone was one of several writers who worked on FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS (and was only the head writer on several of the DLCs, I believe, whilst JE Sawyer was the main writer on the game itself).

Don’t get me wrong, Avellone is my favourite CRPG writer of all time. But he doesn’t work in a vacuum and McComb working on this project is almost as good as a sign of quality to me.

• Cerius says:

John Gonzalez was the Lead Writer on F:NV. Avellone actually contributed less than any other writer to the game (he came in midway through and some of his stuff got cut due to time issues). He wrote Dead Money himself though and the majority of Old World Blues (also Lonesome Road).

About McComb. He was actually working on his own Planescape game on psx before joining the Torment team. The writing in the game however,…. is really mostly Avellone’s with only a few areas being done by the other designers/writers. McComb was certainly the second most important though.

It’s kinda famous how Avellone worked himself to near death on that project. I think around 60-80% of the game’s immense text is him alone. That’s why you can recognize his writing as well in his other titles.

Well, maybe not Alpha Protocol, but that’s a very, very special case.

• gritz says:

My mistake! I misread the OP.

7. Anthile says:

Any reason they don’t use the actual Planescape setting? There was a rulebook for it for the 4th edition. I guess it’s money and all that but I’d like to know if there was an official statement about it.

• S Jay says:

They don’t hold the IP. they were not given the rights when asked.

• Faceless says:

Besides the costs and facing potential rejection, Planescape hasn’t been Planescape for a very long while by now. The setting’s been torn to shreds once it became assimilated into Forgotten Realms. Everything was made more ‘gamey’ and less mysterious and surreal.

• Werthead says:

Planescape was never absorbed into Forgotten Realms, at all. What actually happened is that Planescape was absorbed into the core D&D rules in both 3rd and 4th edition, less of a setting and more of an integral parrt of the game rules. The Manual of the Planes in both editions features stuff on the planes and Sigil.

However, the absence of a dedicated setting did see less attention paid to the planes in 3rd and 4th Edition. Both editions also fundamentally rewrote and rejigged the D&D cosmology, so the planes as we knew them in 2nd Edition (when PST was released and set) no longer exist in the same form.

• InternetBatman says:

By the time it hit 4th edition Sigil is just a weird city of doors. The Blood War was reduced to a fight over a shard of pure evil that was sent from the Far Realm, which empowered and corrupted those that possessed it. There are far less devils than in past editions. It exists, it’s just been significantly diluted. Modrons are a piece of errata, their realm was destroyed and they exist in small cells.

I find the corrupted God premise much weaker than the trickster devils of the original Planescape. But I believe 4e is full of conceptual weaknesses because its a transition rather than a finished product. 5th edition doesn’t look much better.

• Werthead says:

Absolutely. 4E was a massive paradigm shift away from D&D’s core gameplay. The problem is that now WotC are trapped like rabbits in the headlights, as if they move back from 4E more towards a 1-3E style of gameplay, they are going to lose their newer fans who came aboard with 4E, and not necessarily regain the older fanbase (who have largely migrated to Pathfinder). However, the 4E fanbase alone is not large enough to sustain the game (hence the relatively rapid move to 5E), so they need to do something to attract more players. Based on early playtesting reports from 5E, they still don’t really know what to do. I suspect this is why Monte Cook jumped ship, as WotC’s vision of the game seems unclear at the moment.

• InternetBatman says:

That’s the impression I got too. My friend is a 5e playtester, so he can’t tell me anything under the NDA, but he’s hinted as much. It is going back towards third edition. I find that a little disappointing, because I feel like pathfinder is taking third to its logical conclusion, and fourth could have become something amazing.

Of course if they were really bright they could have split it off into two rulesets for two separate settings, and chilled out on all the artwork in the books. I doubt it’s really as expensive as they make it sound because even small team computer games have some decent systems like Telepath, Geneforge, or Wesnoth.

• Hobz says:

Wizards of the Coast was not willing to sell the rights. They changed their mind recently though, but I don’t see anybody being interested anymore.

More info : http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/wizards-of-the-coast-say-the-planescape-setting-is-available-for-licensing.80466/

• gritz says:

AFAIK, the videogame rights to almost all D&D properties are still tied up in disputes with Atari. The only reason Neverwinter is being made is because PerfectWorld bought it from them.

• Incanus says:

And the book for the “4th edition” was utter shit. It basically shattered the multiverse and Sigil to make some watered down crap for min-maxers.

If anything, they could use the real Planescape universe, but i think Hasbro is keeping the IP tightly in their silly hand (without doing anything with it).

• gritz says:

There’s not really such a thing as min/maxing in 4ed, just like there’s not really a Planescape setting book in 4ed, so I’m guessing you haven’t actually read any of it.

• aliksy says:

Did you just say there’s no min/maxing in a D&D game? I roll to disbelieve.

The whole point of the game is to find the most effective ways to kill monsters. This is D&D, not one of those talky smartypants games like Mage or Unknown Armies or Don’t Rest Your Head or whatever.

• InternetBatman says:

The min/maxing shows far, far less variance in 4e than in previous editions. You have to try very hard to screw up a character, and even then they’re semi competent. No more Ftr 1/ Rg 1 / Wiz 1.

Also, there is the Manual of the Planes for the Planescapish setting. Sigil is only an afterthought, kept in to appease a few old players. There are many larger and more exciting (in this edition, not in general) settings like Brazzalan, or the city of inventors. in the Astral Sea

• Incanus says:

Not such min maxing in DD4? Yeah sure, bro :-). Care to play the game at least one time before telling such idiotic nonsense? It’s a game where you build your character with only maximum efficiency in head, and the game is tailored for this. Maybe you don’t like it exposed and called like that but it is what it is.

So please, go play the real thing and come back. And for the “no planescape” book, sorry dude, but Wizard made a LOT of effort to sell the actual Planes book of the 4th edition like a “hey look, Planescape is back”, except, no, it’s not Planescape at all, just more and more statistics, less and less background.

I was the DM for a 2 year Planescape campaign, that i, myself, adapted from ADD2 to 3.5. So don’t come telling me what you think i read or not. Take your supposedly witty comment and your attitude, away.

8. Shazbut says:

When the question is “What does one life matter?”, it becomes difficult to address when one is forced into leaving genocidal levels of killing in one’s wake in order to progress. Even one death is enough of a problem if I as a player am going to be encouraged to seriously ask myself that question. I really hope they’re taking the idea incredibly seriously if this is underpinning everything.

Otherwise I am deliriously excited.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This isn’t a game of fighting a million things to level up like other RPGs. At least PS:T wasn’t. You hardly have fights at all.

• karthink says:

I played PS:T for the first time last month. I think you have nostalgia glasses on. The rest of the stuff is so good that you don’t remember the lackluster, dreadful combat.

Because I had to do a lot of fighting, even playing as a WIS 19+, INT 18 character and picking all the not-stepping-on-toes options.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Oh no I’m not blind to the fact that combat was horrible.
          But what you are saying is relative. You did not fight that much compared to Baldur’s Gate or the newer RPGs like Dragon Age. Not even close. It isn’t that kind of game.

I didn’t fight much at all, besides the modron maze and then some in the sewers near the end. Those are the only sections where I ever had multiple fights in a short span.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

(key phrase I was replying to was “wake of genocide”)

• Focksbot says:

Pretty sure I read somewhere there are only 2-3 unavoidable fights in the entire game. You can even talk your way out of the final boss fight.

That’s one of the things that makes PS:T so special. It also tends to dissuade you away from general slaughter by throwing those patrolling city guards at you if you stir shit up.

Of course, the way I played it, I constantly got into scraps … I kind of like how short and ugly they were. It doesn’t follow the model of giving the player gratifying kills, and that’s another point in its favour, even if it was something of an accident.

• karthink says:

Indeed. PS:T does not suffer from ludonarrative dissonance, for the most part. In that sense it was far ahead of its time.

If they pick a theme like the value of one life, they better stick to their guns all the way.

9. aliksy says:

Hm. Hm. I liked Torment, I admit.
    But I’m pretty sure I dislike Monte Cook’s work in general.
    And “Tides of Numenera” is kind of a stupid title. Say that to a non-gamer and they’ll probably shout “NERD” and give you a wedgie. At least “Torment” is kind of evocative, and gives you an idea what the game’s theme is going to be.

Numenera sounds kind of like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

• Lars Westergren says:

It’s an old school computer RPG, they are going to shout “NERD!” anyway. Might as well embrace it and make it as true nerd appealing as possible.

• BooleanBob says:

Agreed, tis a silly name.

Though that isn’t the youtube video I was expecting to be directed to.

• JFS says:

To me it sounds more like Numenór, stolen from Tolkien.

• Lars Westergren says:

“Being inspired by the same mythology or etymology” does not have to be the same as “stealing from Tolkien”.

• JFS says:

I didn’t mean stealing any content or ideas. Just the name is… heavily inspired, if you will. Nothing against inXile, though, but the naming is just not very good.

• skyturnedred says:

If we couldn’t use any names resembling some of those mentioned in Tolkien’s works, we’d have a very tiny list of available names to us.

• Ergonomic Cat says:

Numenera is actually Monte’s word, not InExile’s. He created the world and then, during the Kickstarter for RPG books, negotiated to get PST2 set in the world, afair.

But Numenera exists entirely outside of this game as well. http://www.numenera.com

10. S Jay says:

cheat death, eh?

11. sinister agent says:

Oh dear. You’d think that the developers of Torment would be the first people to acknowledge the importance of choosing a good name. Might as well call it Fantasy Chronicles of Generic: the Shores of Iggdral.

I was sort of hoping for “Morement”, tbh. It may be a joke name, but it’s actually better because it’s memorable. Can you even remember what it’s called after scrolling down here? Be honest.

12. Gamboni says:

“But he discovers an unexpected side effect: You.”

If I’m understanding this correctly, they’re breaking the fourth wall in a way that’s actually pretty cool.

• Lycan says:

I understood it as being like the story of The One in the Matrix movies (the second one, particularly, where they explain Neo is the remainder of the equation used to program or control the Matrix)…

13. mouton says:

I still have issues with PS:T actually getting a “sequel”. For years I was of the opinion it does not need it and that it will probably be cheapened by any kind of continuation.

But it is not being done by some cash-in crowd or a soulless EA/Acti/Ubi entity so I guess let us wait and see how it develops.

• MuscleHorse says:

It’s a thematic sequel – the original characters and events aren’t going to be sullied or arbitrarily dragged back together. This is a Good Thing.

• karthink says:

It’s not a sequel. They’re setting up the Torment series to carry certain themes and role-playing elements/mechanics; not characters, settings or worlds. It’s a sequel only in the sense that if you liked the kind of game PS:T was, you’ll like this.

• Ringwraith says:

It as much a sequel as Bioshock Infinite is to Bioshock, or each major instalment in Final Fantasy is to each other.

• karthink says:

Which is pretty much what I wanted to say. I don’t know if I’d call Bioshock: Infinite a sequel to Bioshock though; I’d have to play the former to make that call. (What makes a sequel, etc. I don’t know.)

• HadToLogin says:

Isn’t BI a prequel to Bioshock?

But Final Fantasy is a good example. Other good example would be Quake and Quake 2 (beside being a shooter and few guns they have nothing in common). Or GTA3 and GTA4.

• Ringwraith says:

Pretty sure it’s been said Rapture doesn’t exist in Infinite’s timeline at all, hence why it only comes up when one of the rifts opened is to Rapture.

14. karthink says:

You know, when everyone complained about nostalgia-baiting on the early Kickstarters, I didn’t get it. I never played Monkey Island or Wasteland or Elite or SupCom.

Well, now I get it. The very idea of this game, coupled with my memory of PS:T and its description above, just decimated all my rational reasoning and skepticism filters. I think this I will have to save up for this.

(BTW, I played Planescape: Torment for the first time in Dec ’12, so I wouldn’t really call it nostalgia. More like unreasonable optimism. PS:T is just that good.)

15. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

What can change the nature of a sequel?

16. Rawrian says:

So I’ll need to blow the dust off my reading glasses, eh?

17. googoogjoob says:

I really liked the writing in PS:T, especially the delineations of everyone’s unique worldview. However, the central nature-of-a-man question was dealt with very poorly, I feel. (Maybe spoilers here.)

The answer to the question of what can change the nature of a man, at least in the game’s universe, is thrown in your face repeatedly- it’s death, as exemplified by the Nameless One’s many previous, wildly varying incarnations, and to a lesser extent by Morte and Dak’kon’s backstories. I get that the answer to the question is meant to be whatever the player wants, but when the game itself leans so heavily on one answer, it kind of removes any meaning it has outside the game-world.

So: I hope this game has writing up to the same par as the original, but I hope it doesn’t similarly self-destruct philosophically.

Also I hope it doesn’t have horrendous, game-ruining combat.

• basilisk says:

Funny. I always thought the answer to that question the whole game has been pointing to is “regret”.

• Skhalt says:

I answered the Planes to that question and stands by it.

• karthink says:

Well, the game lets you reject the question itself. And the ending really worked for me because what I had in mind and what The Nameless One says to Transcendence (“Whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can”) were the same. It’s rare for a game with a fixed ending to agree with me so emphatically.

• xao says:

You might consider another run through PS:T. I know I came away feeling like the game pointed me to a very different answer to that central question.

18. Jack-Dandy says:

Very interesting.

I don’t plan to be backing this (Still waiting for Wasteland 2!), but I’ll keep a close eye on it, and hope it goes well for them.

The newest trailer for WL2 showed me that InXile aren’t just messing around.

19. Shooop says:

“But he discovers an unexpected side effect: You.”

That’s one of the best pitches I’ve ever seen. I’m already very interested in this.

20. Alextended says:

Numenera: Torment would be a better name.

21. Infinitron says:

RPS, FYI, the full name of the game was actually revealed on its Facebook page a couple weeks ago.

Comment on this story