DMCLC: Devil May Cry Adding Free Challenges, Vergil

By Nathan Grayson on February 21st, 2013 at 11:00 am.

In spite of an amazing White House petition to have its non-Capcom-developed impurities cleansed from this Earth, DmC Devil May Cry was actually pretty excellent. As Adam pointed out, it proved exceedingly adept at blending gloriously bizarre environments with weapon-switching combat that put even the most demonically possessed of Swiss army knives to shame. And it was a solid PC port to boot. So the new Dante’s a-okay in my book, and he’s quite welcome to hurl more insanity (and masterfully long-form pun jokes) our way if he so pleases. For now, though, it’s actually his brother Vergil who’ll be snagging the spotlight. In an all-new 3-5 hour-long story expansion, no less.

Titled “Vergil’s Downfall,” the extra chapter focuses on “ the story of how Vergil got to be where is with regards to the main story in the game.” Somehow, I doubt things will go terribly well for him. It is, however, apparently chock full of shiny, demon-shearing newness, so expect more jarringly picturesque hellscapes (“drawn by The Devil, aged eight-trillion-years-old”) and imaginatively grotesque baddies. Vergil himself, meanwhile, is Dante’s twin, but not his clone. They apparently play rather differently, and Vergil will unlock his own suite of pointy playthings with which you’ll be able to compose brand new blood symphonies to your heart’s content. All of that will be available for $8.99 on March 6th.

Right now, however, simply updating the game will net you Bloody Palace, a 100-level challenge mode that breaks little new ground, but combines the old stuff in novel fashions. It comes completely free of charge, but you can’t access it until you’ve cleared the story mode.

So then, I suppose I’ll let you get to that. Unless, of course, you have some more black-hair-fueled White House petitions to go sign – in which case, there’s really no help for you.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. unangbangkay says:

All well and good, but I still say old Vergil was cooler:

• Askeladd says:

You mean the character designs of the old games was way better than the new ones?
      I just .. can’t .. can’t say you are wrong.

2. Adventurer says:

DmC is only an excellent game when you pretend it wasn’t a complete gameplay downgrade from Devil May Cry 3 and 4. I can understand why people who have never played the original series love DmC, but the fact of the matter is, it failed to live up to what came before it. Challenging gameplay was sacrificed for prettier visuals and better music. There was really no excuse for not having as good a combat system as its predecessors, it was all right there for them to blatantly copy, and instead they dumbed it down as much as they could. Plus, the dialogue was poorly written at best and painful to listen to.

I know you RPS guys don’t typically play console games, but seriously guys, there’s a reason it’s only projected to sell half as much copies as Devil May Cry 4 in its whole lifespan. And they wanted to DOUBLE sales compared to the original series. When you consider just how many console gamers abandoned Devil May Cry when Devil May Cry 2 came out (it was awful), as well as the great marketing DmC had, it really goes to show just how fundamentally Ninja Theory dropped the ball in a misguided attempt to garner mass appeal.

And quite frankly I’m glad for it, because maybe next time when a series gets a reboot, more attention will be paid to the existing fanbase and the strengths of the games that came before it. Ninja Theory’s arrogance regarding the title was baffling, and they paid for it.

We voted with our wallets. It brought such joy to my heart to see the Devil May Cry Collection outsell DmC on Amazon. Here’s hoping Capcom got the message.

• televizor says:

Not true!
      As a fan of the older games (by old I mean I olny played 3 and 4) I don’t feel like Ninja Theory necessarily dumbed it down, I was expecting the thing to come out waaay worse than it is.
      I feel like they kept a lot of the original gameplay mechanics and felt right at home when put in control.
      Only thing is it’s way to easy on the starting difficulty modes except for Nephelim (I cleared DMC 3 on Normal with a keyboard).

• dE says:

Plus, the dialogue was poorly written at best and painful to listen to.
      - I should have been the one to fill your dark soul… WITH LIIIIIiiiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiiiIIIIIIIiiiiiiIIGHHT!

Yeah, no. Nope. I really have to disagree on that part. The writing is as cringeworthy as ever. While I generally do agree that the new DmC has some flaws it really shouldn’t have, slamming it on grounds of the writing is a really odd argument to make.

• Amakir says:

To be fair while the writing in DMC 1 was pretty bad it never got in the way, the cutscenes where few and far between and the gameplay was the main focus. Once the series reached part three the writing started getting pretty tongue in cheek and genuinely funny at times.

Id rather take writing like this than badly written social commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BjG4kTd3jQ

• voorsk says:

So, you’re saying we should reward incredibly poor ports, and punish innovative reboots? :|

DmC may not be quite as good as #3 (few games are), but it stamps on the face of all the other games in the series. The only problem with DmC isn’t it’s gameplay, or it’s story, or it’s voice acting – it’s the existence of #3; a game that can’t be bettered.

I’m really enjoying the reboot. Game of the year, so far.

• Bhazor says:

It’s gameplay’s dull and challenge free, the story is horrendous and every character was intolerable.
        Having a better game in the past is not it’s biggest problem.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Seriously? Is port quality the end all, be all of PC gaming these days? You remind me of the people who chastised the people who dared to “reward From Software” for a poor port, despite Dark Souls being one of the best games, well, ever. Devil May Cry 3 may not be near that level, but I still prize a good game over a good port.

And Devil May Cry 4 was a pretty damn good port with a mode exclusive to PC.

• RandomEsa says:

You could say it was a bald move backwards.

• I Got Pineapples says:

It gets even worse when you compare it to Metal Gear Vengeance: The Revenging of Revenge. It comes of as kinda slow and clumsy and more than ugly and it’s Cringeworthy Social Commentary is even worse than Hideo Kojima’s Cringeworthy Social Commentary and that is a feat and a goddamn half.

Listen, if you’re making a spectacle fighter? I’m not asking you to be as good as Devil May Cry 3 but you should at least be as good as…I dunno…Devil May Cry 4. Or maybe even if you try a bit harder, Bayonetta.

• Synesthesia says:

Yeah, i found it way, way too easy. Even on nephilim, S and SS combos were not particularly rare. The skill factor did go down quite a few notches. I remember trying to get SS combos for hours at those frigging statues on DMC4, and they wouldn’t even attack back!

It’s a good, pretty game, but it shied away from it’s best strengths, which were, at least for me, wicked hard difficulty levels and slick as fuck control schemes.

• Ahtaps says:

DMC is an excellent game when you peel back the mask and realise that it was Old Man Bayonetta all along. Ninja Theory would have gotten away with it too if it weren’t for you pesky kids and your dumb mutt!

• Adventurer says:

You do realize the FCC is not mentioned anywhere within this article, and that Forbes was one of the few websites that supported gamers that were unhappy with the Mass Effect 3 endings, right?

(God bless Erik Kain.)

• Jamesworkshop says:

“That incident was a great example of what a whiny group gamers are in general; while I respect their rights to express their dissatisfaction, the FTC complaint was over the top, and it is what got all of the media attention.”

Okay i said FCC, and not FTC, big deal.

let me guess will you complain to the government about that?

• Adventurer says:

Keep baiting that hook, I’m sure someone’ll bite.

• Velko says:

I have reported you both to the Ministry of Internet Drama. Expect black helicopters any time soon!

• Jamesworkshop says:

With my last breath

I blame zoidberg

3. Bhazor says:

This summed up my experience

God damn that “social commentary” was bad.

4. Thoric says:

It doesn’t do this site justice to ignore legitimate criticisms and overblow an internet petition signed by the whole lot of thirty people, many with a tongue clenched firmly in cheek I’d presume.

I don’t even dislike DmC. Sure I grit my teeth at most of the writing up to mission 12, but as a PC gamer and novice to the genre I enjoyed it, I look forward to the expansion and I appreciate the great work NT have done with the overall quality, the porting and patching post-release.

But the downgrade in complexity and difficulty is still there – an entire competitive scene has been wiped out. Though the bosses were laughable indeed, the humor missed a good 90% of the time, and the tone has been shifted from whacky and exotic to something quite angry and generic. Long-time fans have very good reason to be disappointed.

Still, they ended on a good note – Dante developed some likeability and the consumerist dystopia was left in disarray, opening room for a different setting, so the next game would not suffer just from being a direct continuation to DmC.

I hope there’s a future for this reboot and it doesn’t go the way of 2008 Prince of Persia, but for that it would need to trace back to its roots, and build on what was achieved there. The Bloody Palace is a good olive branch and I think they’ll turn around quite a few detractors if they steer in that direction, rather than the “fuck you” one.

5. DickSocrates says:

At first I didn’t care about the new game not being like the old games as I had never played the old ones. I have now played 1 for a short time and I can see why people are so upset. The new DmC doesn’t look or feel anything like the original, and the original had a very specific and intriguing atmosphere, and it wasn’t the stuff in the cutscenes, the levels themselves were weird in a specific Capcom way, a bit like Resident Evil 4.

So dismissing the complainers is a little silly just because you may not happen to care. I’m sure the new game is good… well, people say it’s good but then people like Half Life 2 so I don’t trust what people have to say about anything.

• Hazz-JB says:

To be fair, no DMC game has “felt like DMC” since the original game. The 3rd game may have had the best combat, but the loss of atmosphere and of genuinely unsettling environments and enemies was disappointing.

6. almondblight says:

The number of articles talking about the DmC petition dwarfed the small handful of people that signed the petition.

It’s funny, if the mainstream media tries to tar gamers in general for the actions of a few, or for some obscure flash game that a couple hundred people have played, the gaming press is quick to dismiss them. Yet the gaming press is all to happy to do the same – tar gamers in general for the actions of a few dozen people.

7. Radiant says:

From playing a little bit of Metal Gear Rising Vevengwehrah it really shows up how poor the combat system in DMC is in comparison.

There’s just no danger in DMC. Where’s the risk?

Each fight should have been designed to be a tiny combat puzzle.
    But there’s no subtlety.

It’s highlighted in the door challenges; mash it till it dies is too powerful an option.

8. ZyloMarkIII says:

I suppose I could chime in since I have played DMC 3 & 4 as well as DmC: Devil May Cry (I still can’t believe that’s the title). As a game, DmC is okay. As a Devil May Cry game, it’s a big step backwards. I’m not going to talk about the story, the characters, or the setting because there’s plenty of other people who can speak with more authority in those areas than me though I have my own opinions; I’m just going to talk about the core gameplay which is the combat.

DmC’s combat suffers in a variety of ways. First off, the lack of a manual lock-on feature is extremely detrimental. There were two buttons assigned to evade but there is no manual lock-on? I do not know what they were thinking but the lack of a manual lock-on means that a) it becomes harder to focus down specific enemies (really noticeable on the higher difficulties) and b) it limits the moveset by removing (most) directional input commands like backwards+attack.

Second, the lack of styles, one of the key defining features of DMC since its introduction in 3 and improved upon in 4 with on-the-fly switching, severely limits the options of the player and lowers the skill ceiling considerably. Royal Guard, though I was bad at it, was something that drove players to perfect it into an incredible display of skill.

Third, the enemy AI is atrocious and very passive. There isn’t a large amount of enemies on-screen at once (how I wish Legendary Dark Knight mode was a feature in all hack & slash games for the PC) and if you position your camera to where it excludes them from view, the off-screen enemies will not attack whereas in previous titles they would make an audio cue before attacking. The boss fights themselves were pathetic (though I have to give props to the Bob Barbas fight for its wonderful aesthetic) with many of them telegraphing their attacks far too early of the attack.

Lastly, combat balance is way off. Arbiter the demon axe is too powerful in many instances and combined with the Demon Dodge ability makes it wreck even bosses in a handful of strikes. Aquila the angelic chakram/shuriken (which you get by killing a demon, go figure) is too useful when there’s cannon fodder to grab. Gun play is reduced to next to nil because of the angel/demon whips and there aren’t that many attractive moves with the guns to use because of again, lack of manual lock-on and the Gunslinger style. The Devil Trigger mechanic is completely butchered, senselessly popping enemies into the air and slowing down time while giving the player a damage buff and health regeneration. The mechanic isn’t supposed to be make the player a godlike being but to bolster the player’s damage output with enhanced versions of the character’s moves and even provide Devil Trigger-specific moves. Overall, the combat feels too slow and too easy compared to its predecessors. Sometimes streamlining the game and making it more accessible does not make the game better. And there’s no taunting either.

DmC is not a bad game, but it’s not a great game either. Honestly, I would have preferred if they had ended at DMC 4 instead of releasing this and creating such a controversy since I adore the DMC franchise but that’s Capcom for you.

• Deadly Sinner says:

I just want to say that in DMC4 on Devil Hunter difficulty, enemies won’t attack if they are offscreen. Can’t speak for the other difficulties and I don’t remember the previous games well enough.

Otherwise, I agree 100%.

9. ericzhu says:

After watching the Blade and soul video ,I think Blade and soul is so amazing.Just as the bns news said, the game style is so beautiful.The game players will be attracted by the balde and soul artworks.