Easy Enough For Zombies: DayZ Mod Now On Steam

By John Walker on February 21st, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

If you’re me, and you’ve tried to install the DayZ mod into Arma II, then you made a real hash of it. Fortunately for all the me out there, there’s a simpler way. The mod has been made available directly over Steam, meaning you can just click a couple of buttons and all the scary work is done for you.

You’ll need to own both Arma II and Arma II: Operation Arrowhead, or indeed the bundled version, Arma II: Combined Operations, to make it work. If those are installed, and have been run at least once before, then getting the DayZ mod going is so simple that even I just did it. No, I really did. I clicked to download the mod, then clicked Play. And there it was.

If you want to know why you should care, Jim can explain here and here and here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DarkFenix says:

Steam is a bit late to the party here, DayZ Commander has been making it all very easy for a long time now.

Still, ought to bring more victims into DayZ regardless. Never a bad thing, now I can go fishing for beans with a sniper rifle once again.

2. Zemalf says:

On release Steam installs old version, 1.7.4.4, while 1.7.5.1 is out and on most servers. Good and convenient, sure, but not a good start.

3. Velko says:

It never ceases to amaze me how whenever I open Steam’s top sellers list, ArmA2 is in the top ten. That is mostly due to DayZ. I don’t like the mod that much (don’t care for zombies), but damn, it became a right goldmine for Bohemia Interactive.

• Crazy Hippo says:

its great for Bohemia as it keeps the cash rolling in on a title years after it was launched. it surprises me when other games are released without mod support, the potential for additional revenue to be made as a result of mods is huge. not only that its great for players as the variation and creativity that the mods provide are almost never provided for by traditional published titles.

• jkz says:

Yeah, although it’s not very often that you get a mod that generates this many sales for the original game, but they do happen.

• TwwIX says:

Counter Strike, Team Fortress and Day of Defeat did the same for the Half Life series. Hence Valve’s continued and growing success. Then there’s the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942. DICE even hired the modders to work on Battlefield 2 and then shortly after the game’s release fired them. DICE has turned their backs to the modding community since then. That’s why i won’t support those assholes anymore.

4. FieldyGB says:

yay! I can play now

5. jeffcapeshop says:

I’d be really interested to read some opinion on the Wasteland mod/mission for arma 2..

for me it’s actually playable rather than just a good concept..

6. brulleks says:

I got the free version of ARMA II – legitimately free – from Green Man Gaming a while back. Is it possible to play Day Z on that?

• Velko says:

I don’t think it works on ArmA2Free.

• rapchee says:

you’ll need operation arrowhead too, unfortunately. i got arma2 there too.

• brulleks says:

OK, cheers. I think I’ll wait to see whether the standalone DayZ comes out before OA or CO get down to a reasonable price. I’m unlikely to want to play ARMA 2 or its expansions ever again, so paying the current asking price is not an option.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Arma II is one of the all-around ugliest games I’ve ever had the displeasure of installing on my system, so I too will be waiting for the standalone. Hopefully the mechanics are drastically different.

• Karrahad says:

Sounds like you’ve never played a sim before. Arma II is not a mainstream video game, neither should it be judged like one.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Does it really matter if I’ve never played a sim before? My overall experience with Arma II was negative, and I’m going to judge it based on that experience. I don’t give a toss about genres.

7. bill says:

Is anyone still playing it? Because it seems to have fallen out of the headlines very quickly.

• profaniti says:

• phelix says:

Most certainly. There just isn’t an awful lot of new things happening with the mod, because the devs are developing the standalone et al.

8. derbefrier says:

Cool been a while since I have played it and was thinking about reinstalling it. Might as well give it a shot now

• jonfitt says:

I haven’t been in for a long time either. I can pop in and check if it’s still Zombie deathmatch, or has settled into something better.
      I can’t see the point of the standalone game supporting things like diagnose-able diseases, when most people just shoot each other at range and then rob the loser.

9. bangalores says:

The concept art/picture for this article is pretty cool…..just saying

10. shengjing says:

Wow! Friends! What a good thing! Come take a look! New Products! The best! You’re not wrong! The price is the cheapest! http://url.vsofte.ru/74y

11. Chaz says:

I wouldn’t mind but the update went and borked my Arma install and left my Steam task bar icon stuck at showing a 30% done install still in progress even though the update had supposedly finished.

What really annoys me is that there was no information on Steam about the update. So I’m left wondering what the hell it was and why has it gone wrong. Had to delete my Arma CO data and go offline to clear the problem as the integrity check wasn’t working either. Can’t be arsed to re download it now.

I just wish that when Steam updates stuff that there was some explanation of what the update is. I shouldn’t be finding out 2 days later through a totally unconnected website.

12. Dudeist says:

Loading longer, old mod version, error messages on start, server browser powered by gamespy…. wot a shit. Back to DayZ Commander ofc.
    I hope I can still play DayZ by DComm

13. purdz says:

Again another friendly reminder that we have an unofficial RPS DayZ server up and running.

RockPaperZombies!

It’s a 40 man private hive and whitelisted server with extra vehicles.

We are busy throughout most of the day so would be great to add some extra RPS types to the mix.

You can find out more info and also get yourself whitelisted over on our forums.

rockpaperzombie.freeforums.org

14. akbarovich says:

Is it now possible to play DayZ without the server randomly crashing every 20 minutes and losing everything, or breaking your legs and getting mobbed by zombies after falling three feet, or instadying because you somehow clipped into an invisible wall? I’ve seriously never understood how anyone even manages to get to the mythical NW airfield, let alone spend enough time in-game to cobble together a working vehicle.

• Dudeist says:

lol man. Ok, last update is crap, but. I’m playing only north of Zelenogorsk, every day I’m on North Airstrip for ammo or weapon or just making game more intense for others – means, killing airfield loters (imo, killing noobs in Chern or Elektro is low).
      All what you need to reach this airstip base is some skill, weapon, morphine and balls.