Neverwinter Is Looking Orcward

By John Walker on February 21st, 2013 at 8:00 am.

After my time spent on the beta weekend with Neverwinter, I’ve been itching in my chair to get back to the game. It certainly wasn’t perfect, but then it’s a beta and they’re not meant to be, but a couple of days in Cryptic’s envisioning of the D&D realms captured a purity of both fantasy and the MMO that made me want to carry on. In the meantime, I’m applying trailer patches to my arms, the latest introducing the Orcs.

And not “Orca” as I just typoed, which I think we can all agree would have been better.

It’s an odd trailer, seeming to think you’re going to want to see pictures of an Orc on paper, obscuring the actual in-game Orcs behind them. But get through that silliness and roaring and there’s a good glimpse of the game’s combat too. And that’s pretty important for understanding why Neverwinter got its hooks in me – the combat is far more like a Diablo than a WoW, real-time, action-packed, and swishy.

And while I’m here, it seems sensible to share with you the video put out for the Guardian Fighter last week. It’s a very frantic cobbling together of combat moments.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. yurusei says:

Its okay Mr.Walker, we orcassionally make typos as well.

2. GoliathBro says:

Photoshop? Moving up in the world, are we Mr. Walker?

• John Walker says:

Paint Shop Pro X, actually. As is always the case for my incredible imagine crafting skills.

Foosnark says:

I’ve always been more of a Paint Shop Pro type than Photoshop myself. The interface just makes a lot more sense to me.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Photoshop? Where? I don’t see anything.

• Runty McTall says:

I think perhaps the whale in the second picture?

Or have we descended into some sort of nested sarcasm and I no longer know what’s real?

3. Low Life says:

I’d love to try this game out. The combat looks interesting, but it’s one of those things that can’t really be judged from a video – quite a few people have said that it feels great, though.

So give me my beta already!

4. Chris says:

It’s the toolset that will determine whether this game lives or dies.

• DK says:

No it’s the post-release content rate. If they can keep up and add classes at about a class every 2 months or faster (more or less the rate they add ships in Star Trek Online) they’ll keep people playing.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Mages! Are you tired of the traditional spell selection of Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Earthquake? These are the same spells your grandfather used! Probably on your other grandfather! Don’t your enemies deserve better?

Worry no more, for we here at the Extreme Magical College™ spend our days researching the most radical tomes of spellcraft, communing with only the most awesome gods, and snowboarding on the most forbidden peaks in the world! All this to bring you the most innovative spells to obliterate your foes, like Ebeneezer’s Unending Pinching™, Bento’s Resplendent Constipation™, and Mordecai’s Pointy Stick That Just Won’t Stop Poking And We Can’t Unsummon It™!

Now unleash the full power of aquatic mammals at your enemies with Summon Orca! Nine tons of muscle, teeth, and blubber! Throw them at your enemies, drop them on your enemies, summon them in your enemies’ digestive tract, use them to bridge a small chasm, clear out pesky seal infestations, feed a family of four for eight months… The uses are endless!

Order now and we’ll throw in a Gem of True Smelling – Why SEE your enemies in the dark, when you can SMELL them?

• methodology says:

I used the Gem of True Smelling AFTER casting Bento’s Resplendent Constipation on an enemy and this has caused me great harm and suffering. Since there was no disclaimer or warning on this combination expect a summons from my attorney.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

No problem, to receive a full refund just fill out our simple form!*

*Any similarities between this form and a scroll of “Summon Angry, Hungry Weasels” are entirely coincidental.

• Archipelagos says:

I love you.

• MacTheGeek says:

drop them on your enemies

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

6. Keyrock says:

Meh, this is all about fighting against Orcs. I don’t want to fight against Orcs, I want to play as an Orc.

• Archipelagos says:

Quiet you! You’ll take your standard fantasy tropes and love it.

• Keyrock says:

Yes, sir.

/puts on elf ears
        //fires off a dozen arrows in less than 5 seconds
        ///prances away

• paddymaxson says:

Word on the internet street is that Half Orcs are pretty much confirmed as one of the first new races (along with Archer Rangers and Scourge Warlocks as classes)