New PS4 A PC: RPS DECLARES VICTORY

By RPS on February 21st, 2013 at 12:46 am.

At Sony’s interminable live conference revealing the PS4, it was announced that it’s built on an x86 CPU, includes an “enhanced PC GPU”, along with a local hard drive (although no mention of SSD). And it comes with 8GB of GDDR5 memory. Also announced are other features that have that nagging sense of familiarity, including live streaming of games, and the ability to stream yourself playing games. It’s a PC!

So, we say welcome Sony! Glad you’ve decided to join us.

, .

1. KenTWOu says:

8GB of GDDR5 memory – I hope, they will bring back quicksave/quickload feature!
    x86 CPU – I hope, it will be much easier to port Brutal Legend from PC to PS4!

• Jamesworkshop says:

possible, looks so far like they are doing a hibernation/sleep of gamestates so you can quit and load straight back into the game when the console gets powered on again

• Walter Heisenberg says:

You’re acting as if devs aren’t immediately going to suck it all dry thanks to high res textures and feature creep. They’ve shot themselves in the foot by not giving it a SSD so we can probably expect the next next GTA to still have awful pop in on consoles :(.
      I hate to think how bad load times will be for games on disc that want to load up all that RAM at once without making you install data to the HDD before playing, it’s drive’s max read speed is 27 MBs.

2. roryok says:

So if this is nearly, almost a PC, and Sony make expensive PCs (VAIO Laptops etc), and Microsoft are championing the whole Xbox integration with Windows 8 thing….

I wonder will we eventually see a Sony branded PC that can also play PS4 games?

And before everyone replies* with “this is it” comments, I mean an actual laptop running Windows wot can also run PS4?

*Who am I kidding. No one ever replies.

• Guvornator says:

You mean like that amstrad Mega PC that came out in the 90s? I’m not sure that it’s a goer, financially speaking.

• roryok says:

I actually was thinking of that Mega PC as I wrote it. I desperately wanted one, but alas we couldn’t afford a Megadrive in the house, let alone a PC that could also play MD games. I lusted after that thing. (and to be honest, I’m still after one for my collection!)

Despite some technical flaws (having to turn off the PC to play MD titles and vice versa), the MegaPC didn’t succeed mainly because it was prohibitively expensive. But the idea was not a bad one.

These days, people are willing to spend a lot more on both consoles and laptops, particularly gaming laptops. Also, the Sony VAIO brand is held in quite high regard in the laptop world.

I don’t own either console, and I’ll need to replace my laptop at some point next year. When that day comes, if there’s a kickass Sony VAIO that also plays PS4 games, I would seriously consider it. Who the hell wouldn’t? It’s not like it’d need a cartridge slot on the front or anything, and since the PS4 itself has the same components, it likely wouldn’t add any weight to the machine. In fact, I’d go further and say Sony would be nuts not to do this, as it would allow them to tie the PlayStation brand in with the VAIO one. They’ve been trying to do that with their Xperia phones already, and the fact that the Xperia line and The PS Vita can apparently be used with the PS4 is further proof of that.

• Guvornator says:

It would be good, however it would rather complicate things for Sony. Most of the Viao owners I know actually are rich enough to afford both a laptop and a console. If you have a laptop that can do both, you’re actually providing your own competition. So do you add a premium to the price tag based on the fact it’s an everything machine, or do you take the hit on console sale on the chin? Or do you cut any video out ports, so people can’t hook it up to a big screen?

Secondly, with windows running on it, all that console power is going to disappear like a snowman in the rain. So as a PC gaming laptop, it’s a bit of a non starter. So your customers would be people who want to play console games, but not PC games, but also want to have a laptop. That doesn’t sound like many people.

However, there is a flip side to this. Sony has publicly stated that they aim to use Gaikai to stream games from the PS4 to the PS Vita. So why not to PCs?

3. Guvornator says:

Here’s the Corporate release jobby http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf . What I found mildly diverting is the Valve shaped hole in the list of 3rd party developers. I supose it makes sense if they’re going with Gaikai, but no Steam support seems a little suprising.

4. Rapzid says:

It’s unfortunate PS3 has nearly killed Sony. Everybody talks about how Xbox won the generation(outside of wii sales of course) and yet for me, being mostly a PC gamer, I owned a PS3 before I left the States. It had the exclusives that interested me; God of War 3, Uncharted 2, etc, etc. I also streamed 1080p movies with Vudu which was very awesome and I miss it much down here in New Zealand.

• El_Emmental says:

huhu, if the PS3 killed anyone, it’s only the Video Games department of Sony – the PS3 set the Blu-Ray as the new standard against the HD-DVD and made sure Sony is now the king of HD video discs for this generation. They’re racking up millions with the discs and readers/diodes, they’re pretty happy with it.

Don’t forget Sony is an empire, they’re also selling TVs, laptops, video cam recorder, media players, etc.

5. ZephyrSB says:

I’m guessing this will be like every other Sony console ever, and we’ll get 2-3 years of AAA shovelware before the actually interesting games start coming out for it?

• crinkles esq. says:

Hard to say. Development ramp-up will certainly be faster than learning how to use the Cell processor with the PS3. So that probably lowers the playing field a bit. I thought I also heard a blip during the talk about developers being able to self-publish, so assuming the license terms aren’t onerous the PS4 could get more indie titles.

jrodman says:

Crinkles Esq.! I find your name confusing because I selected the name ‘crinkles’ for my steam account. However you do it far more justice than I could ever do. Do you have any suggestions for my scattershot, snipey, but somehow earnest self as a replacement name?

6. solidsquid says:

Does that mean RPS is now going to be covering PS4 and Xbox720 games too?

7. czerro says:

This will be pretty great to be honest. Console/PC parallelism will feature less crappy porting and reduce development time and cost. PS4 won’t be responsible for holding the quality of PC gaming back. Lastly, MT optimizations haven’t really taken off in the game industry, but you can be sure PS4 devs will be discovering how to make as much use out of every piece of this machine as possible. Again, this will migrate to PC gaming. Now some might say, “But the PS3 had Cell which had a ton of processors onboard!” Yeah, that was a proprietary chip, that didn’t have any load balancing between the cores and relied on the developers to figure it all out. Cell was a neat idea, but not ready for prime time and needed a hefty controller to manage threads invisibly and easily. The custom A8 onboard the PS4 does NOT have this problem, though it is few and far between to find a game that is coded to take advantage of more than 2-cores max and to do so in an efficient manner with a significant performance boost. With the PS4, dev’s will have to investigate this, and the PC community will benefit from this.

• Jason Moyer says:

Microsoft’s consoles have basically been PC’s and it hasn’t kept the ports from being shit-tastic.

• czerro says:

That’s untrue, while the original xbox was essentially a weak PC, the 360 uses a custom PPC solution as well as a custom graphics card. It’s hardware pipeline doesn’t resemble anything like a PC either. Both PS3 and 360 are extremely divergent from PC architecture, and much weaker, which is what held gaming back on the PC. The PS4 is very similar to the PC (traditional x86) and an entirely different situation.

8. DK says:

The important thing to remember here is that it doesn’t even matter what the horsepower of the PS4 is (suprisingly good, but still not beating the PCs of yesteryear) – because it’ll be bottlenecked by the Xbox. Just like it doesn’t matter that they could have done crazy awesome things with Blu-Ray storage capacity because everything had to fit on the tiny Xbox DVDs.

9. Aaarrrggghhh says:

The one thing I took from the announcement:

Everyone that dislikes all those “social” features like being online all the time bragging on Facebook about how many headshots you did in Call of Duty is now officialy “anti-social”.

“Shuhei Yoshida: Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social!”

THANK YOU SONY!

PS: Hopefully something got horribly lost in translation here…

10. Springy says:

Headline has a strong UK Resistance vibe to it. Then I read the article: article says, “Welcome Sony,” without qualifying the remark with any sort of unpleasant destination for Sony to arrive at, and the fantasy immediately fell apart.

11. Kamos says:

Wait, so this brand new console will have as much memory as my 3 year old PC has? Oh Sony. You’re making this too easy! I expect my next GPU to have that amount of memory.

12. P.Funk says:

Wait, so everything I’ve been saying about consoles is finally coming true for real. I laugh, then I serious… laugh.