The Dungeoning: Legend Of Grimrock II!

By Nathan Grayson on February 21st, 2013 at 6:40 pm.

I WONDER WHAT THIS MEANS.

You know what’s finally real? No, no, not high-speed space travel, a panacea for the collective shattered heart of humanity, or lights that turn themselves off when you’ve gotten way too comfortable in bed. Something better! Odds are, Legend of Grimrock II will basically be all of those things – symbolically, anyway. And it’s an actual, factual Thing now, as per word from the wonderful dungeon master race of snail people over at Almost Human. There is one downside, though: that Grimrock expansion they were working on? Sadly, it won’t be seeing the light of day.

Except that actually, it kinda will. Almost Human explained its reasoning in a scrumptious reveal-o-post:

“We are now officially working on… Legend of Grimrock 2! Creating a mere DLC or expansion to Grimrock simply would not have felt right. As today’s meeting proved, we still have a lot of ideas we’d like to explore, lots and lots of new content already done (originally made for a DLC/expansion) and a big engine update in the works. Simply put, a DLC would have limited too much what we can do. With a full blown sequel we can raise Grimrock to the next level.”

It’s a tale as old as time – unassuming little expansions growing into full-blown sequels and inspiring us all to write that novel we’ve been putting off for ages – but that doesn’t diminish the impact of this one. More Grimrock! Better Grimrock! Grimmer rocks! Snailer snails! Traps everywhere! Plot twist: you are a trap.

Anyway. Almost Human’s promising “regular development updates,” which is something it’s been intending to do for a while, but opted to avoid due to the uncertainty surrounding exactly what form its new dose of dad-friendly spelunkery would take. Now, though, the cat’s out of the dank, cold series of claustrophobic hallways, so we should know a lot more soon.

, , .

RedViv says:

Cross-dressing Totally-Not-Skaven? I’M SO IN!

golem09 says:

Staring Numbers

3. slive cinclair says:

Great news..Grimrock was my favourite game from last year.

4. Utsunomiya says:

I really hope there won’t be as many puzzles as in the first one.
    Those brainbreaking horrible things drove me insane!

• Deadly Habit says:

Kids these days… get off my lawn junior!
      In all seriousness, the puzzles make or break a traditional dungeon crawler like this. I want more!

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

While I want there to be lots of puzzles I think maybe a few less that I’m going to spend two hours trying to figure out with absolutely no clue before I give up having made no progress/

• Askeladd says:

Well, it’s not SO hard and didn’t it feel rewarding to complete such a difficult puzzle?

• yogibbear says:

I completely disagree. I hate 99% of games with shoe-horned so-called “puzzles” because they are all OH so ridiculously easy at fear of people getting stuck and throwing their controller at a baby. LoG’s puzzles were sufficiently convoluted that you had to learn from your early teachings, and bring forth prior knowledge from other puzzles and slowly things became much more complicated. But, if you paid attention, and took a moment to read a piece of paper, or an item description, the solution was always in front of you, often the execution of what you knew you had to do was the harder part, given the irish dancing.

• solidsquid says:

How about more puzzles, but the route to the end is simplified. The puzzle aspects open up new areas to the labyrinth and let you learn more about the game, but difficult puzzles won’t stop you completing it. Or multiple paths with different puzzles blocking each one, that’s another option

5. pakoito says:

Dungeoneer-er?

6. Hoaxfish says:

Haven’t completed the first due to the combat square-dancing getting a bit tiring. I still like the game, but I don’t feel I could honestly buy a second game (at normal price) until I’ve completed the first, or they do something about the square-dancing (though I think some people do enjoy that).

7. Teovald says:

A better engine. When LoG is running, all the other apps on my laptop are extremely sluggish.
    A bit of a #FirstWorldProblem, I know, but I would like to see this fixed for the next iteration.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

They’re raising it a level? I would have thought they would be descending it a level.

9. abandonhope says:

Grimmer, rockier. I want more of everything.

10. JD Ogre says:

“In the meantime, though, what would you like to see out of a new Grimrock? I mean, the dungeon editor’s already pretty great, and the original’s fundamentals were rock-solid. Are there any glaring omissions you can think of?”

Randomizing of puzzle chunks so that you’re not playing the exact same level every time you go through the game.

• Caveat53 says:

New settings, new creatures, new weapons and an easier to deal with spell system please.

11. aliksy says:

New setting? I think the ending of the first game was kind of conclusive.

I hope they don’t do character imports. I don’t want to stress about if my characters from the first game were built optimally.

12. SkittleDiddler says:

So a developer is bypassing work on an existing, relatively new game in order to cash in on a probably-unnecessary sequel? Color me shocked.

• Blackcompany says:

My feeling too tbh. I mean…you have the map maker. Infinitely expandable. So…why a sequel? Why not expansions. Or a new game.

Hopefully we will see new nechanics. Less square dancing as some called it. One can hope.

• Unrein says:

What are you on about? They were never making anything else but Grimrock, just that the expansion turned into a full blown sequel.

Besides, I’ll take polished, pro dev work over amateur mods any day. I guess that’s why you gotta pay for that.

• SkittleDiddler says:

For all we know, they abandoned the expansion completely to work fresh on the sequel. Either way, it doesn’t matter.

And you seem to be equating quality with paid content. Have you never played an Elder Scrolls game? The expansions (paid) are almost always filler, while the most popular user mods (free) are always better.

• Agent00Funk says:

Well, to be fair, some people really prefer filler over content…how else do you explain Micheal Bay?

• ussegeluh-380 says:

I got confused as to which bits were sending up Final Fantasy and which were riffing off Ultima. It made me feel like I needed a sit down, but I’m already sitting down, so maybe I need a nice cup of tea. And a biscuit.

• Veeskers says:

WARNING, WARNING:
            The post right above mine, with the apparent link to gog, is apparently an unusually well-disguised spam post.
            It took text from a reply post deeper down in this comment thread, and disguised its malicious link as a link to a GoG page for drm-free games.
            These things are getting really deceptive, so make sure what you’re clicking through to.

• wcq says:

I’m not seeing how paying for a sequel differs from paying for an expansion.

slerbal says:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! That is all I have to say on the matter.

14. Flint says:

My least favourite thing about the original were the final floors – the puzzles became rare, the corridors began to fill with endlessly respawning monsters, and the last few tiny “floors” that you traversed up and down for no reason were far away from the carefully crafted areas earlier in the game. The last levels felt really rushed and I somewhat struggled to actually finish the game after being completely under its charms for most of its duration.

So basically all I want from the sequel is that it keeps the quality high throughout the game.

15. Jason Moyer says:

How can there be another Grimrock legend when there’s…well, without spoilers, how can there be another Grimrock legend after what happens in the first game?

16. DK says:

A better magic system and more balanced skills. As it stands in Grimrock 1, the magic is extremely simplistic and incredibly imbalanced on top of that. Ice Magic effectively breaks the game starting with the first attack spell and only gets more powerful from there, while Earth magic is practically useless. Ditto for armor skills – because there’s so few skill points to get, not maxing out the offensive skill of choice means your characters are complete wimps at the end of the game.

Grimrock 2 needs Dungeon Master 2s magic system.

• Jason Moyer says:

Doesn’t Earth magic give you immunity to poison? That was probably the single most useful spell I remember from the first game.

jrodman says:

Yes, basically mimic dungeon master more closely in nearly every way. Or do something new and actually better.

Dungeon Master’s skills, UI, and pacing were all superior.

• DK says:

And I completely forgot the best part of Dungeon Master 2 they need to copy.

Haggling with the mute shopkeepers. Nur? *crosses arms* Neh! *shakes head*

17. Inzimus says:

two-player split-screen, Bloodwych-style
    is that truly too much to ask for?
    (no, I’m not talking ‘internet/LAN here, people)

18. Epicedion says:

I’d take an Eye of the Beholder clone.

Also making the whole party sprint around in a circle so the rogue can get in a backstab is a little off. Also a ‘remember’ feature for spells you learn so you don’t have to click the right runes every time. The challenge of combat shouldn’t necessarily hinge on how precisely you can simultaneously time movement and mouse clicks.

Maybe I just like my dungeon crawlers to be a little more relaxing, less frantic.

19. USER47 says:

The first time they basicaly recreated Dungeon Master. I really hope this time they will find some more interesting source of inspiration…like Stonekeep for example:).

slerbal says:

Stonekeep is/was great. I’d love to see a Grimrock-style remake of it.

20. MadTinkerer says:

Well of course they need to do a sequel! It’s an old-school RPG series! Soon we’ll be talking about Grimrock VII and complaining that it doesn’t actually have Grimrock anymore because we blew it up twice (once via volcano in GRIII, but the remnants of the dungeon connected to an even more vast underground system of caverns in GRIV, which ended on a cliffhangar resolved in GRV where the entire dungeon was caved in via massive earthquake, and then several of the individual dungeons in Grimrock VI were the split-off remnants of bits of the super-underworld but no longer connected) and now that the Thirteen Dungeons Seals have all been sealed (in GRVI) there’s nothing left of the original Grimrock.

But at least GRVII takes place in the same setting, which isn’t true of GRVIII. GRVIII is a rushed mess focused on platforming and a new “junction system”, because Almost Human is bought out by EA. GRIX is, of course, a total betrayal of all continuity that went before with at least one plot hole in every single conversation and a new protagonist who is actually the dream of a dead civilization and has an annoying laugh. Then an MMO, a Facebook game, and a tablet game. Finally, GRXIII features an all new setting and protagonists, the entire soundtrack is replaced with pop music, linear levels that make you walk in a straight line from cutscene to cutscene, none of it is underground, all combat is replaced with quick time events, there’s a real money auction house, always-online DRM, no graphics options, motion controls only, and the level editor is split up into ten different DLCs.

RedViv says:

I loved Grimrock Overworld, and the Worlds of Grimrock series was really neat too.
      Grimrock VII will forever be the best though.

strangeloup says:

• x1501 says:

What?! I thought we were talking about Might & Magic!

• MadTinkerer says:

I was going for a little bit of all three, and then just went nuts at the end. In retrospect I probably should have tried to work in a little Wizardry, King’s Quest, Dragon Quest, Lands of Lore, and Eye of The Beholder in as well.

• benkc says:

Yeah, I detected all three, and I thought a hint of wizardry as well (but maybe I’m confused). Well done.

21. Jamesworkshop says:

the sequel will contain a giant helmet with no vision slots and three friends to sit on a bench behind you and shout out directions.

RedViv says:

Walkthroughs shall feature gems like “right through the right corridor keeping right on the left side right” for maximum hair-pulling nostalgia.

22. InternetBatman says:

I need to finish the first one. I got stumped on an optional puzzle, took a break, and each time I get back into it I’m still stumped.

23. Flavioli says:

I’d love to see some Wizardry-like town hub… somewhere to buy and sell things, for example. I found myself with lots of loot that I wished I could sell. This would add an extra bit of positive feedback to finding treasure because I would always feel safe knowing I could sell the unused loot… it was always a bit of a bummer to run into a cool item that nobody in my party had any use of, and it would be neat to sell off random junk i picked up. In general, I think Wizardry would be a very positive inspiration for this type of game.

c-Row says:

Couldn’t somebody take that engine and build a remake of Hired Guns with it?

25. presence says:

Some overland/outdoor encounter areas? Airborne encounters?

26. Crosmando says:

My Wishlist for LoGII:

- Outdoor areas
    - The occasional “Dark Souls” style NPC to sell and buy loot
    - More challenging (logic-based) puzzles
    - Complete overhaul and improvement of enemy AI
    - A serious overhaul of combat system, making the usual “dancing” movement less exploitable
    - Rebalancing of the character system, especially Rogues

27. Jack-Dandy says:

Fucking sweet! Following Grimrock as it was developed was fun as heck for me. AH is really good at that.

28. VickyGray22 says:

Levi. I see what you mean… Patrick`s report is super… last monday I bought Mini Cooper when I got my cheque for $7131 this-past/4 weeks and more than ten grand this past munth. it’s by-far the easiest job I have ever done. I began this 10-months ago and practically straight away was bringing in more than $85… per-hr. I went to this site, Fox76.com

luminosity says:

I really just want:

* More varied secrets
    * More varied, more deadly, more frequent traps
    * An ending that isn’t quite so silly

30. Stevostin says:

Same thing with more variety, some fun spells, more enigma mecanics. May sound cheesy and little asking, but I feel like the formula works on being minimalistic. The further you can go is non linear dungeoning, with inner & outdoor, ala Lands of Lore (if my recollections are right).

31. eclypticz says:

–People/creature to interact with like bartering, or actually going out and finding your party members instead of building them all. Get a new one per level for half the game or something. Have a secret creature sell certain items, or do allow you to access a hidden area if you’ve come across a certain item (like how equipping Dracula’s heart on Castlevania 2 and talking to the ferryman triggers him to take you to a different place). I’m old and dang proud of it! ;P

–A feature in the dungeon editor to make the game behave just like Shadowgate. LOG and EOB hypnotize me well enough, but they don’t scratch that itch that Shadowgate did; that whole part of,

“As you swim toward the skeleton, you feel the jaws of a shark grab you and pull you under.

You curse yourself for using your body as bait!!

Even before the life has left your body, the lake will be filled with your blood.”
    (queue the face of the Grim Reaper with cool, moody/creepy- death music)

Because of how much detail is in games, I find it harder and harder for one to keep my interest. I like looking off in the distance of Castlevania: Lord of Shadows just as much as I like to look at the forest in the distance in Castlevania: Simon’s Quest. These two games are examples of other games that I get lost in because they soak up my imagination. I absolutely love it when a game brings out my imagination, and I would gladly part with money for more games like these.

32. cvrc11 says:

Honestly, I liked everything about the game, all I’d like to see is maybe make every secret useful? I mean, too many secrets in the game are basically either consumables or armor that gets replaced – shouldn’t a real secret (or at least all the Iron Doors) give you equipment you will use until the very end of the game?
    And the other related thing is: get rid of the stupid “charges” mechanic for the games few enchanted weapons. A magic weapon should NOT be treated as a consumable to use sparingly, but rather a prize to rejoice over finding.
    Maybe also make the story deeper, and add *gasp* NPCs who are NOT trying to kill you! I mean, really, there is not a single person in Mt. Grimrock who has managed to survive long enough for the party to find him? Not a single one? Finding a living, breathing, FRIENDLY survivor could be a MASSIVE moment in a game like this, and it missed it.
    Oh, well, that’s my 2 cents.

33. jiminitaur says:

Constantly backing up should not be a critical combat combat component.