The Only Way Is Down: 99 Levels To Hell

By Adam Smith on February 21st, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

In the weather forecast that plays in my imagination every morning, a dignified dog wearing a monocle points at a map of Blighty with his left forepaw, sips a cup of tea and laughs as he tells me: “It’s looking like a good day for Spelunky.” He’s never wrong, Bertie Stockings, because every day is a good day for a spot of Spelunky. A new warm front may have arrived in the form of 99 Levels To Hell, a roguelike platformer with “over 25 monsters to discover and battle, as well as over 50 power ups and weapons to get your grubby mitts on. More unusual findings include casinos, elevators and secret rooms.” Purchasing now provides beta access and the full release is on Feb 26th. I’ve already got my grubby mitts on a copy so expect thoughts post-launch.

So much blood!

The game can be purchased at Desura, with beta access immediately unlocked, and will also launch at GOG on the 26th.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. x1501 says:

I thought hell is other people. Where’s co-op?

2. Inzimus says:

bought this in a bundle, I think… a loooong time ago… haven’t really tried it out, but now I realize it looks awesome

3. aliksy says:

Like the bastard child of Spelunky and Terraria? Looks interesting, it doesn’t seem to have the charm of Spelunky.

• Otter says:

Perhaps we ought to check their relationship status on Facebook before we just *assume* the children are bastards…

• Saul says:

Why can’t I “Like” or up-vote comments on this site? I’ve been visiting several years and never missed it, but somehow today I do. I think Facebook disease has finally wriggled itself into my DNA.

(You comment is funny, is what I’m trying to say.)

4. danieljv says:

I got 99 levels but a bitch ain’t one

5. Junon says:

Super House of Dead Ninjas was released on Steam this week, too. Good times for roguelike-likes

SHoDN is just about perfect as far as 16-bit inspired action platformers go. It would have probably been one of my favorite SNES or Genesis (errrrrr Mega Drive) games had it come out 20 years ago.

6. Caiman says:

Looks great, although if the trailer music is any indication I’ll be playing this one with sound effects only.

7. boblond says:

Thank you for writing about the game!
    I might do co-op as an update later on, it was in the original concept for the game :)

You can hear the soundtrack right here http://oldmanmusic.bandcamp.com/

Comment on this story