The RPS Bargain Bucket: Exceptionally Needy

By Lewie Procter on February 23rd, 2013 at 2:32 pm.

As is my usual routine, I’ve spent this morning scoping out the best deals on discounted PC entertainment software from around the web, and compiled all the results right here for your convenience. This week you’re being treated to not just some good deals on a variety of games from the past, but also a couple of deals on games from the near future. You can always get the latest on cheap games on all formats, throughout the week, over at SavyGamer.co.uk. Read on for your weekly bargain bucket.

Brütal Legend – £8.99/not sure about other regions
Registers on Steam.
A sneaky pre-release discoünt, this is a couple of quid cheaper than I’ve seen it anywhere else. Brütal Legend certainly took it’s time making it’s way to the PC. Originally released just for consoles in 2009, it’s being given a whole new lease of life on PC this coming Tuesday. I think the cat’s out of the bag now, but this is sort of an RTS. Think of Brütal Legend as being to Sacrifice what Stacking is to Messiah. Whilst Double Fine’s shift to smaller games has clearly enhanced their creativity, I’m also really glad they got this epic production out first, they’ve not done anything on the same scale since.

DLC Quest, Hard Reset, Jolly Rover, Lair of the Evildoer & Vertex Dispenser – £3.28/€3.77/$4.97 at time of writing
Price will fluctuate over time, as explained here. All except Lair of the Evildoer register on Steam.
This is a redux of an Indie Royale bundle from last year, and it’s a rather good one. Here’s Wot John Thought about Hard Reset:

It looks utterly incredible, and deserves to be lauded for that. With so much going on at any point, it ran like a dream once I’d dropped the anti-aliasing down from an ambitious 8x. The enemy design reveals real talent behind the game, their quirky behaviour and exquisite animation constantly a pleasure. And while the levels are nothing other than a series of beautifully gloomy corridors, they’re just open enough to offer easy searches for secrets, and occasionally small arenas for extended fights.

Jim flavoured thoughts on Vertex Dispenser here too.

Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite & Bioshock 2/Civilization V/Mafia II/Spec Ops: The Line/The Darkness II – £23.99/€37.49/$59.99
Pretty damn good deal here. This is the cheapest preorder price for Bioshock Infinite around at the moment, and you get a copy of the original game, and your choice from five other games. You could pay £6 more to engage in some exceptionally needy marketing by preordering it via Steam in hope that enough other people do the same, and you might get a copy of XCOM. Seems to me that if you’re especially desperate to get XCOM, you’re better off getting the cheaper copy of Bioshock Infinite (with other bonuses) and sticking that £6 in your piggy bank for when XCOM is next discounted. I’ve been deliberately ignoring Bioshock Infinite preview coverage, but it looks like there’s lots of the stuff here. I hope it’s good!
For some reason the US price is higher, but you can opt to either get $15 credit of $14 cash back.

Mass Effect Trilogy – £11.80/€13.65/$17.99
Apply coupon “CAGROCKS”. Registers on Origin.
Here’s all three games, but not all the DLC, from Bioware’s sci-fi soap opera epic. DLC wise you get Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station, the Cerberus Network stuff from ME2 and an online pass for ME3. I’m pretty sure all that DLC except for Pinnacle Station was actually included with the standard release of their respective games, or made a free download afterwards. It’s actually somewhat surprising to me that they’re selling this trilogy incomplete. At a stretch, some sort of discounted bundle of all the DLC that’s available separately would be preferable. Maybe EA know what they’re doing.

Deal of the week
Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition – £7.37/€8.53/$11.24
Apply coupon “CAGROCKS”. Registers on Steam.
Yes, I’m still a wuss and haven’t properly delved into Dark Souls. I fully plan to at some point, but it sounds so scary:

I was trapped for hours, too afraid to go deeper, too weak to ascend. It’s the closest I’ve come to feeling completely lost and doomed to eternal death in a game for a long, long time. Curses, like so many boosts and buffs, do not immediately explain themselves and nor is a solution or purpose directly communicated. Experimentation and exploration are the key to discovery and victory.

It’s really not a perfect port by a longshot, but it’s not absolutely awful. For this price, I think it’s forgiveable, and fingers crossed the sequel will have a better PC port.

Also of note:
Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery – Pay What You Want
Get Loaded Square-Enix promo
War of the Roses – £4.91/€5.68/$7.49. Apply coupon “CAGROCKS”. Registers on Steam.
Pure, Split Second & Tron Evolution – £4.42/€5.11/$6.74. Apply coupon “CAGROCKS”.
NiGHTS into Dreams – £2.45/2.84/$3.74. Apply coupon “CAGROCKS”. Registers on Steam.

For more gaming cheapness, get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. InternetBatman says:

How is NiGHTS? It looks interesting.

• Xocrates says:

Easily one my favourite games from the Saturn era, and I found the port to be really quite solid – although I have no idea how good Keyboard controls are. It’s not a complex game, but it’s a joy to play.

Just keep in mind two things: it’s first and foremost a score attack game, and it’s fairly short (7 levels, each about 10 minutes long, though you need to get C or more in all levels of at least one of the characters to unlock the last level)

At that price I would say it’s worth getting, no questions asked.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I haven’t played it since my Saturn gave up the ghost but there was something magical about it. It should play decently on a keyboard since it supported the normal Saturn controller ok enough. Of course if you have a gamepad with an analog stick it should be significantly better since this was the game that came with the “prototype” Dreamcast controller with the analog stick.

• pe510889 says:

We are closely keeping our pace with the lastest accessories on the market for iPad and other apple products, including iPad toys, cases, game controllers, screen protectors, chargers, keyboards, holders, cables and more. Friends! Really can not miss!http://s6x.it/lnxp

• jalf says:

It *really* needs an analog controller (while the original could be played with a d-pad, that was just because that’s what the console shipped with, and not everyone were willing to pay for the version of the game that came with an analog controller).

I really loved the game on the Saturn. It’s a wonderful game to just chill with. It’s extremely short (I bought it when it was released on Steam, and within something like 2 hours, I’d completed the game with both characters. It’s basically a score attack game though, and that’s where the replayability comes in. It’s a lovely game to just spend half an hour with from time to time, trying to do just that bit better on one of the stages.

It’s definitely worth experiencing. But don’t expect a loud, epic sensory-overload kind of game.

2. SquareWheel says:

Note that CAGROCKS can be used on any Amazon February sale game, but is one-use only. It adds 25% off so apply to your largest purchase.

3. rb2610 says:

Also, the Mojam Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/

4. Revolving Ocelot says:

The Bioshock Infinite preorder thing on Steam is not my idea of “jolly cooperation”.

5. Xocrates says:

Am I the only one who finds the Bioshock Infinite pre-order bonus suspiciously generous to the point they actively discourage you from getting the game?

• Ignorant Texan says:

Perhaps it’s my natural cynicism, but it says to my jaded eyes that 2K is having cash flow issues, Bioshock Infinite may be another Colonial Marines, or a mixture of the two.

• Low Life says:

Looking at their game lineup they do have a few dry months here, Infinite (March 26) is their first big release since XCOM (October 9). Then again it’s not like they’re one of those publishers constantly pushing out major releases and this shouldn’t come as a surprise to them.

I’d definitely grab the deal if I was of the preordering sort, and I still sort of want to. I mean it’s Bioshock so I’m going to be buying it anyway..

• trjp says:

I’m pretty sure that a publisher wouldn’t see actual cash from pre-orders – that’s not how the industry works, it’s not a cash flow thing.

Pre-orders originated as a way of gauging demand – but they’ve changed to a way of stores ‘pre-selling’ games to eager punters (often at attractive prices) – good for stores (if they take the money before releasing the game – which not all do) but not necessarily good for the publisher (who won’t see the money immediately)

It’s possible that the publisher fears a backlash of poor reviews or just a bad-time-of-year for release and so wants to spur as many people into parting with money before the game’s blackout date arrives, but that’s quite a cynical

• Ignorant Texan says:

Well, this is a weird one. I’m guessing it’s considered a “bundle”, and can’t be canceled. So, it’s an early buy, and not simply a pre-order. Perhaps 2K needs to book sales for this quarter, and BS:I is being released next quarter.

• trjp says:

“Pre Order” is a euphemism at best, where some bricks-and-mortar shops took a small deposit to guarantee a copy on release day, online ‘pre ordering’ is just ‘ordering’.

With Steam, for example, you didn’t used-to-be charged until release bit I think that changed? Whatever, you can cancel before release (where there were freebies, you’ll generally lose them tho?)

With some other stores you ARE charged tho – esp. where there are freebies

How companies report ‘sales’ is an arcane concept at the best of times – probably not worth speculating further but Occam and his ‘simplest solution is usually the right one’ suggests this is just a bit of pre-release hype and doesn’t necessarily suggest the game will suck.

• uNapalm says:

Could well be that Bioshock Infinite is THE big release coming out in March (there’s Tomb Raider but that’s several weeks earlier). Such a huge release is going to mean that every vendor out there wants you to buy it and Steam wants you to buy it through them, not through greenmangaming or similar for cheaper. Looking at the package itself, Bioshock is years old and you’d be silly to pay more than £5 for it and XCOM has probably seen its sales stagnate of late so it’s probably more in their interest that you own a copy and be able to purchase DLC.

My only worry with this stuff is that I already hold back on day one purchase as I know I will get the game 2 months later for half price. If this becomes a trend I might hold back buying until I can get a game for free when buying another. I’m not sure this type of thing is good for the industry.

• AngoraFish says:

It’s just capitalism at work. Competition amongst retailers is heating up, to the point they are willing to discount the next big release as a “loss leader” to drive customers into their (virtual) store. The same thing happens in bookselling – thousands of stores were selling the latest Harry Potter installments at or below cost – and where one company does it there is inevitably pressure for others to match these sales. The publisher’s margins won’t be effected.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Nah, I’m still not paying that price for it. I wouldn’t mind a couple of those bundles, but I can get the extra games for really cheap, and Bioshock Infinite will be $20 soon enough. So with a little patience it’s hardly worth $59 even for the bundle.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I just find it weird from the standpoint that this would have been one of the biggest titles of the holiday season if it hadn’t gotten delayed again; so now that it’s coming out in March they suddenly aren’t going to sell any? As a consumer I love all these deals but this isn’t sustainable and this attitude of just giving their games away in a panic is just setting customer expectations against them doing otherwise.

• Baines says:

It is a bit iffy as to how good the deal actually is.

The free games are stuff that have been super-cheap on Amazon over the last few months. BioShock 1+2 was only $5, Spec Ops was maybe $5, I remember Darkness II being cheap, etc.

So it really comes down to the GMG credit. In that particular case, GMG is trying to use Bioshock Infinite to draw new customers to their service. With the market domination of Steam, that could be a justifiable approach. In a way, the free games may just be to get attention so that people will be won over by the credit, which in turn will cause them to buy a future game from GMG, which (GMG hopes) will cause those people to think of GMG for more future purchases.

• emertonom says:

If you look closely, you’ll see it’s Bioshock Infinite + Bioshock 1 + some third game from their back catalog with now-reduced sales, for the price of Bioshock Infinite. (On steam, XCOM is not as old [if it unlocks] and you also get hats, but otherwise it’s similar.)

But people preordering Bioshock Infinite are, for the most part, those who really liked Bioshock 1, which likely means they already OWN Bioshock 1; a significant number will give those free copies to friends. Essentially the result is that the publisher is giving away free copies of Bioshock 1 to advertise for the new sequel, except they’re recruiting the most enthusiastic fans to hand out those copies. It’s inexpensive advertising for them.

Besides, getting someone to pay full freight for a new game, rather than wait a couple months for a sale, is always great for them; and there’s the possibility that they’re charging right away rather than on release day, since the freebies are downloadable immediately. (Not sure they’re doing that last, but the freebie would make it legal.)

So I suspect it’s quite a good deal for the publisher. And given that many of these back-catalog titles have been going quite cheap in the past year, even if they’re assuming each freebie is a lost sale (which I also wouldn’t put past them), it doesn’t “cost” them much at all to throw them in here.

So yeah. It doesn’t cast much doubt on the game for me. But then, I wasn’t expecting all that much…I thought Bioshock was rather blandly linear and shooty (and, given it was billed as a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, that was very disappointing), and I never bothered with Bioshock 2, which sounded like the same, with slightly polished controls but without the critiques of Objectivism. So if you expected it to vastly surpass other triple-A titles, maybe temper that a little. I don’t think they’re thinking the reviews will be so good as to get doubters to pay full opening-day price for the game.

• Xocrates says:

It’s more than pre-order + 2 back catalog games (which by itself is already pretty generous), gamersgate for instances is also giving 30% of the pre-order price as store credit, and considering that Steam still has XCOM at 50€ once that unlocks you could reasonably argue you’re buying XCOM and getting Infinite (and the other bonuses) for free.

Bottom line is the pre-orders bonuses are actually a higher value than the game you’re pre-ordering. Which to me makes it sound like they’re pretty desperate to sell the game before it comes out.

• The Random One says:

I have a suspicion that it might be a music industry style coup to artificially increase (some sort of number that is supposedly representative of) sales of their back catalogues by tying them to an upcoming, highly hyped new release.

Two games I had considered preordering lately turned out to be pretty bad and I ended up not buying them at all. I need no more proof that there’s no need to review my damning stance on preordering.

• Baines says:

Irrational/2K wants to sell Bioshock Infinite to people who haven’t played Bioshock 1 or 2. That was the reason for the “controversial” cover art, to draw the attention of regular shooter fans. And Bioshock has been built up as a name over the years. I’m sure there are people who might recognize the name despite never having played a Bioshock game.

Hrm, I wonder how much of the pre-order stuff is Irrational or 2K wanting to move as many copies as possible before the average consumer finds out it isn’t necessarily Halo or Call of Duty? Assuming that it isn’t, that is. If it is, then maybe instead they are trying to move as many copies as possible before Bioshock fans find out.

6. amateurviking says:

Obligatory public service announcement/caveat emptor on pre-ordering:

Careful now.

7. Crimsoneer says:

Wow, that GMG bundle. Glad Lewie got over his hangup about them, because that is insanely good.

8. deckard says:

Origin has a bit of sale going on with Battlefield 3.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Interesting. Checking it out. I own that but I’d like to get the expansions for a reasonable price (IE not the same price I paid for the full game)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Interesting enough it does say BF Premium is 75% for BF3 owners, but when I go to purchase the discount is not reflected.
        I’ll look into it more, since this discount is EXACTLY what I wanted.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Sorry, that’s 70% and it’s a bit of a scam.
          Basically Premium is the package that includes all the expansions. The discount is small but if you already own some of the expansions it gets cheaper. But I don’t own any because I’m waiting for the bundle of expansions (which I see as one expansion pack, really) to be priced like an expansion pack ($15 or so… which is still steep)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

So yeah, the expansion pack is still $40 for me, price of a full game. An expensive full game.

• Cruyelo says:

Original game : 9 maps.
            Premium : 20 maps
            If you had the limited (preorder) version of BF3, which gave Karkand : 13 maps originally, 16 through Premium.

I wouldn’t call that an expansion pack, closer to a full game worth of content. The price isn’t that strange.
            I’m more bummed about how they now only price the original game to about 5$ considering they sell Premium upgrade for 30$ while selling Full Game + Premium for 35$.

• ikbenbeter says:

BF3 DLC has great cost/value, although CQ is a bit tad and Armored Kill has some balace issues, especially in rush, although it still shines. B2K is a blast, though, and definitively my favorite of the DLC and Aftermath is quite great too. Still, I wish AK and AM would add some more content to the rest of the game.

• Baines says:

The only game I can think of that offered a bundle that did not devalue its base game in favor of its DLC is Capcom with Super Street Fighter IV: Anniversary Edition.

(SSF4AE Complete is $54, base game is $40, DLC sold separately is $44, but they also offer all the DLC in a $15 bundle. That’s quite different from most games where the only way to get “reduced price” DLC is in a Complete edition.)

• Dominic White says:

Best to just wait for other places to have it on sale. I picked up BF3 vanilla some time back for $10 during an EA general sale, then the Premium pack for another $15 off Green Man Gaming.

Damn good value if you don’t mind waiting for the bargains to come to you.

• ikbenbeter says:

Doesn’t it always?

9. Suits says:

Guild Wars 2 is 30% off on the official site (digital)

10. kalirion says:

The Groupees Be Mine Anniversary bundle is very good IMO.

$1 tier:
    Eschalon Book 2
    Party of Sin
    Livalink
    iBomber Defence Pacific
    Major Mayhem
    Dungeons: The Dark Lord
    Air Buccaneers
    Men of War: Assault Squad DLC pack
    an assortment of music and a short film

$5 tier:
    Two Worlds 2
    Men of War: Assault Squad
    Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
    Planets Under Attack
    The Cat Lady
    soundtracks

• Martel says:

I found it hard to pass that one up, somehow they managed a bundle that wasn’t games I already owned

• BlueDragon says:

Purchased. Having great time with my bro being air-pirate, har. Too bad that Two Worlds optimalization sucks.

• dE says:

Groupees is odd. Ever since I bought two bundles there (the la maluna one and the one with.. uh that survival game of which I forgot the name, sorry), they’ve been spamming the living hell out of me with e-mails about new offers and bundles.
      Now the one bundle that evokes a “MUST HAVE” reaction in me… is omitted. The hell groupees, the hell :|

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’m not a big fan of Groupees overall. They lost my original account, so I no longer have access to the first couple game bundles I purchased (they were all Steam games, but still…). And you’re right about the email spam — they send me offers for crap I never look twice at, like 8-bit music comps and nu-metal collections.

The Be Mine Bundle in particular has a very unprofessional feel to it, and the games they offer are almost always bargain-bin shovelware and 1C titles.

• kalirion says:

Have you contacted support about that? Sounds like something they could resolve.

• SkittleDiddler says:

At the time my account vanished, they were having chronic support issues and I never was able to get through. I simply never bothered after that because all the games connected with the account were Steam-enabled, so they’re actually safe and sound. Not a big deal, really, but it made me think twice about giving them another chance.

• El_Emmental says:

Well, Groupees is ran by a bunch of “indie” Portland (I’m not kidding) artists/developers ; business-wise, tech-wise and gaming-wise they’re a bit… confused.

Their area of expertise is cheap “indie” gigs, getting around paying for the rents while being an “artist” (= web design, a little bit of contract work for marketing companies, organizing “parties”) and struggling through their 20-to-40 to be “avant-garde”, thus the spam regarding the 8-bit and nu-metal stuff.

If they had some more self-depreciation humour, they would call themselves the “Hipsters Gaming Bundle – our bundle is so indie, it’s even based in Portland !”.

Their website initially:

1) Required registering an account (name, password, etc – everything), confirming it with an email, then getting around paying for the bloody thing (nb: business wise, forcing the user to create an account before buying, not even while or after buying, is dividing your sales by 1.5 to 2 approximately).

2) Would never send you the Steam keys/links to your email. They didn’t knew how to make a secured email sending service nor wanted to/could afford to pay for an external tech.

3) Nor create a specific page for your purchase (like http://www.example.com/key/123456789/ ) for easier access

4) Would “hide” the link to the Steam keys/links at the least expectable place on the groupees website (you had to find the BeMine part, find the log in button, enter your nickname/password, find the link to your account setting, there find the link to your previous purchases, find your purchase, then finally get to see your keys).

Bonus point: when you’re on the bundle page, you’re auto-joining the “general chat” and “support” chatrooms ; and here’s the kicker: every time someone post, a little “tick” (that sounds like a windows explorer sound) is played. You can’t disconnect from these chatrooms, you have to close the entire tab.

And it barely improved…

I think it’s the most amateurish and unprofessional bundle I’ve ever seen (and I’ve been contributing to the Indie Bundles Wikia), at least the other “cheap” bundles, like the Indie Face Kick, even if this one is very unintuitive (what are the games in the bundle ? where do I pay ?), do the rest fine – a little like Indie Gala, they’ve got flaws but they’re pretty close to being as good as the Humble Bundle UI.

11. oyog says:

In case there’s anyone who doesn’t have it yet that would like to, Gratuitous Space Battles Complete pack is 75% off for $4.74 on Steam (GSB alone is $3.74).

12. MarcP says:

Trying to buy Dark Souls through the above Amazon link, got a “Online Codes are only available to US customers” message at checkout.

• Ignorant Texan says:

MarcP,

You need to enter a valid US address. Avoid Texas, Washington state and one or two other states where Amazon has warehouses if you wish to avoid sales tax.

From Lewie P’s website -

To purchase digital games from Amazon US, use your UK Amazon account, and add a US billing address to your account. This address needs to be a valid US address, but nothing will be sent there, and you can access all your games through their website. Some card issuers may charge a fee.

• BlueDragon says:

Isn’t it like illegal?

• Vandelay says:

Pretty certain it is fraud to put an incorrect address. I personally have not risked it, despite there being a lot of excellent deals through Amazon’s digital store (why do we still not have this in Europe?), but lots of other people seem to do it with no problems.

• AngoraFish says:

It’s more likely to be treated as a breach of contract (ie their terms of service), and therefore a civil matter. The odds of it resulting in any kind of legal action are virtually zero, if for no other reason than you’re in a different legal jurisdiction to Amazon. You should, however, assume that it might one day lead to your account being locked if they ever get around to caring, so use an alternative account if you care about keeping your main one for whatever reason (eg kindle books).

• BlueDragon says:

Well I would like to buy Dark Souls from amazon. Steam price is crazy high (In my country I can have boxed version for 50% of their price, but I prefer digital versions). I don’t really like legal stuff, taxation etcetera…I care much for my Steam account and do not want problems with that, so I will probably wait for better income or bigger sale (-66% would be fine, but still not cheap),

• jrodman says:

I make no claims of how you should behave, but I once lived, in a former life at 477 School House Lane, Devon, Pennsylvania, 19333
        Typing that into google gives a variety of nearby numbers such as 476, 489, 480, etc. All real houses. I’m not sure what you might do with these!?

13. MinisterofDOOM says:

The one downside about the Bargain Bucket:
    After a while I start to look at the lists and think “I already own all these games from the last time they were on sale.”
    I probably haven’t played half of them, either.
    My name is MinisterofDOOM and I am a discount game buying addict.

• El_Emmental says:

My name is El_Emmental and I am a discount game buying addict too.

My report card says I “own” more than 500 user-licenses. In the last 6 months, I managed to not buy several bundles I would have bought previously.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

I actually finished -yes, finished- a new game I bought during the Christmas sales.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

I still bought the Indie Royale bundle with Serious Sam 3 in it though.

I… I used to play Serious Sam FE & SE in my youth, I had to… and they’ve got a mini-scrapjack pet replacing the RL in the Workshop… no, I shouldn’t… I’m sorry, I’m sorry.

*boo…*

But I won’t get the Chosen one, no ! Even if it has excellent indie games, I won’t fall for it !

*clap* *clap* *clap*

14. JoeX111 says:

You could at least give Cheapassgamer a little shout out, since you’re throwing around their coupon code.

• Thermal Ions says:

Amazon are actually advertising the code directly on their game pages – so there can hardly be an expectation that people have obtained it by visiting CAG – despite the obvious code naming intent.

15. SuperNashwanPower says:

Hi Lewie. Do you know how that Bioshock reward tier thing works? Do you only get XCom if you order BEFORE it reaches unlock, or is it just a case of “OK enough people ordered, so now everyone gets XCom (plus other stuff)?” E.g. is it inviting you to gamble, or can you just wait to see if it gets there?

Have been waiting for Xcom to go down for ages, and £15 each is definitely my sweet spot for “games I’m not sure about” these days. A free Bioshock 1 to give to my dad makes it even better. TF2 stuff can go fish :)

• Unrein says:

You get all the bonuses as long as you just pre-pay for it, so feel free to wait until the Xcom tier activates.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Taaaa! :)

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Just testing a theory by replying to my own comment
          EDIT: OK theory disproven. No one is commenting this morning – RPS is not broken :)

• cptgone says:

what a relief to read your post! i thought i was the only one who hadn’t turned zombie overnight.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

We are broadcasting on all known frequencies. This is a message to all survivors. You are not alone. Look for the beacon atop the hill. There will be salvation.

And maybe some scotch eggs.

16. malkav11 says:

The Mass Effect 2 DLC has never been sold anywhere or in any fashion except directly from Bioware, nor as far as I know has it -ever- been discounted, to the point where it now costs substantially more than the game itself. This is really, really dumb and is one of my biggest complaints about that game.

17. Zenicetus says:

I guess I’m just in my 1st cup of morning coffee Mr. GrumpyPants mode here, but how do we know that any of these pre-orders are “bargains”? As in, Bargain Bucket? Doesn’t a game have to be released and reviewed, before a small discount on full retail price means anything? If every discount on a pre-release purchase is a “bargain,” then where does it end? Why not list everything out there?

Grumble…. back to my coffee. And maybe pick up that Gratuitous Space Battles deal.

18. Baines says:

IndieGala Colossus was pretty weak, but they just added King Arthur, King Arthur Fallen Champions, King Arthur II, and King Arthur II Dead Legions DLC.

EDIT: Indie Gala doesn’t mention it, but apparently the Indie Gala version of King Arthur does include all its DLC packs. This is made more confusing by how the game is implemented on Steam. “King Arthur Collection” appears to be treated as a separate game, without a store page, and which apparently includes (unmentioned) the DLC built-in rather than as add-on entities.

19. dethtoll says:

I’ve been playing Dark Souls almost every night for several weeks and have yet to encounter any serious bugs. GFWL got shut down for a couple days but it’s back now and really adds to the creepy mood with the ghosts and whatnot. I’m using DSfix which is basically “make shoddy porting job actually pretty good.”

The game has a really creepy, unsettling atmosphere, one I haven’t felt since Silent Hill 1, and there’s always this sense that something horrible is going to happen. It is NOT a game that lets you just fuck around — you must approach every fight with caution, even if you’re 30, 40 levels above the recommended and plowing through an area you were stepping carefully through a week ago, because all it takes is one asshole stunlocking you and all of a sudden you’re surrounded.

• bigjig says:

You probably already know this, but bumping up your Poise stat (to at least 31 or 36) with armour or the Wolf Ring can be a lifesaver if you’re having problems with stunlocking. It’s a bit counter-intuitive for a glass cannon mage or pyromancer to equip a bit of heavy armour but the ability to keep the casting animation going when hit saves lives :P

• aliksy says:

I fucking love that they broke from the “mages wear robes and wave wands” trope. That shit is so very painfully cliche. My sorcerer’s wearing elite knight’s armor and swinging a very enchanted long sword, and it’s good.

20. haradaya says:

Bought some other game off Amazon downloads. It has downloaded about 500mb in two hours, out of 12Gb. Ouch.

21. Saarlaender39 says:

If you’re having no problems with Steam, here is (are) a (some) interesting Bundle(s):

For that price(€4,53/ €5,75/ €6,91 [depending on bundle]), I think it’s a real bargain.

22. jrodman says:

Brutal legend on gamefly appears to be 15$ US. (14.99)

23. Okama Gabesphere says:

Brutal Legend is not a good video game.

24. guygodbois00 says:

Where’s my Sunday Papers, Mr Rossignol? Where?

25. jrodman says:

I have to say I am not very happy with my amazon download experience.

I gave them money for a product to download. They said it works on as many computers as I want. Great.

They gave me a link to download the software that couldn’t work without being logged in, and without javascript, and some other requirements.

Okay fine, whatever the fuck. I can’t download it on my fast link. Fine I will just suffer and download it the slow way on windows.

I download “the software’ which turns out to actually be 1MB worth of downloader software. I run that, and it decides to download to my desktop with no choice on location. Stupid software.

That turns out to just download several html documents, the only important one of which is a steam code.

So they sold me a steam code via 2 download phases and pieces of crap web page restrictions and badly written software, and they didn’t tell me they were selling me a steam code in the first place. If I wanted to buy a steam code I could have done it from people with better web stores and more honesty, and I wouldn’t need to jump through these dumb hoops. Hell, I could have just bought it from steam myself!

Comment on this story