Feed The Trolls: Ithaka Of The Clouds Crowdfunding

By Adam Smith on February 25th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Jonas and Verena Kyratzes have been opening windows onto their Lands of Dream for several years now, with a trilogy of free releases followed by the duo’s first commercial adventure, The Sea Will Claim Everything. For Ithaka of the Clouds, their largest game to date, they have turned to Indiegogo. Backers have already pledged more than half of the $12,000 total and with 28 days left, success is likely. If you haven’t played any of the previous games, you can find them here. I usually feel like I’m missing something – or something is missing me – when I wander in the Land of Dreams, although I do enjoy being in the company of such strong and unusual voices. Thematic details below.

Are you ready for poetry?

In short, Ithaka of the Clouds is a game strongly inspired by the sensual, philosophical and historical poetry of Constantine Cavafy (1863-1933), one of the greatest modern Greek poets. It’s not a direct adaptation and knowledge of his works will not be necessary, but their themes will be strongly drawn upon.

It’s not quite Leisure Suit Larry In the Land of Dreams then, I guess.

Ithaka of the Clouds is the story of two lovers and their travels across the Lands of Dream as they seek the legendary city of the title. And it so happens that the two lovers are both trolls, creatures that human stories have often painted as frightening barbarians.

If you haven’t already, why not try the first three games and, if you like what you see, Ithaka will happily take your pledges and there’s also The Sea Will Claim Everything to dip into.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GernauMorat says:

Haven’t played these games yet, but after reading some of the excellent commentary on his site (particularly on austerity policies and game piracy) I think I will.

• Rawrian says:

You can start with The Book of Living Magic or Fabulous Screech (they are both free and take place in the same universe) and then decide.

DeVadder says:

I have honestly no idea why, but i have never been more touched by a game than Fabulous Screech.
        I am not ashamed to admit that i found some water in my eyes.
        By all means, everybody try this. It is free and short, what do you have to loose.

• Rawrian says:

I know, right? It’s like cut onions.

• Droopy The Dog says:

My goodness, when did this happen? Why am I crying? How does he do this witchcraft?!

Hats off to Jonas, I didn’t even realise he was pressing my buttons so well until it happened.

2. Rawrian says:

One of the most powerful games I’ve played in 2012. Reminded me of Ween the Prophecy a little bit, too.

• tobecooper says:

There’s something special and memorable about these games – they are so full of detail and in a way slow and sleepy, unlike anything in the mainstream.

I didn’t find the story of TSWCE powerful, but the game is definitely a gem.

3. StranaMente says:

I really loved The Fabulous Screech, that’s about the wonderful life of the cat Screech.
    Also of notice, the campaign video contains a cat. I’ve been told that cats on internet equals success, so, there you are.
    (Tuna, tuna, tuna, chicken, tuna..)

4. jussipe says:

But if only you could talk to the spiderpig!

elderman says:

These games are great. There’s something beautiful in every corner. Not one dram of crass commercialism and not a step taken by lazily following of convention. The world needs more of this. I’ll definitely be chipping in.

6. mwoody says:

Gah, why did they have to use Indiegogo? On top of having a fraction of the pageviews of Kickstarter and the “flexible funding” option tainting public opinion of projects that don’t even select it, they reportedly have virtually nonexistant tools with which to interact with backers and manage the project. Hell, I mean, you can’t even increase your perk level; how much more basic of an option to lack do you need?

There’s no WAY the presumably smaller cut they take of the pie is worth what you give up.

I mean, I’m onboard because I really enjoyed The Sea Will Claim Everything, but it just makes me sad that they’ve essentially opted for less success.

• reosarevok says:

Probably because, being in Germany and all that, they couldn’t use a page restricted to US and UK residents.

• mwoody says:

Well. That, uh. Hrm. Yes.

Given the subject matter, what a poor time for me to forget there’s other lands out there.

• Trif says:

The main problem is that they live in Germany.

7. Flan_Kitty says:

Christodoulou’s soundtrack alone is worth backing, honestly.

The Lands of Dream really need more love. For anyone new to them, I recommend playing The Fabulous Screech first. It’s the smallest of the games, and like the Lands of Dreams condensed. Desert Bridge might not work if you have Windows 8…

Personally, my favourite is The Sea Will Claim Everything!

• JonasKyratzes says:

The soundtrack Chris wrote for The Sea Will Claim Everything is one of the best things that have happened to me as a game developer. Making the game was worth it just because it gave him the opportunity to create that music.

8. JonasKyratzes says:

I just wanted to say thanks to RPS for posting this and thanks to all of you for the kind comments.