Singular: New Lords of Midnight & Midwinter Remakes

By Alec Meer on February 26th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

‘Twas terrible news when The Lords of Midnight, Doomdark’s Revenge and Midwinter designer Mike Singleton passed away suddenly last year. Chris Wild, Singleton’s friend and co-developer on his project at the time of his death, a faithful, multi-platform remake of The Lords of Midnight, eventually took the decision to continue with the game, which was well-received upon its iOS and Android release. A PC version of that is due at some point in the not too distant, and now perhaps adding some more bittersweetness to Singleton’s amazing legacy is the announcement of family-sanctioned plans for The Lords of Midnight: 30th Anniversary Edition, and a remake of Midwinter.

The plan for LoM: 30th is to make that an additional product to the more faithful existent remake, with 3D rendering, AI changes and even some tweaks to the game mechanics. That’s due, all being well, in 2014.

After that, provisionally, is Midwinter. An enormous, ambitious and bold RPG, it’s an important one, and rather oddly in the annals of gaming history, it’s also one that’s been left alone until now. With Mike Singleton’s family’s blessing, Chris Wild wants to tackle that next. He’s not some random, by the way – he worked with Singleton for a long time, and converted the original Lords of Midnight and Doomdark’s Revenge to PC back in the early 90s. So hopefully he’s the right man for this very important job.

He reckons he’ll need a team, and funding, to make it happen. There are no overt plans for the latter yet, but if you’re an experienced dev who fancies pitching in a part-time basis, he might like to hear from you.

Exciting stuff. Bittersweet stuff, as Mike Singleton won’t be involved. But if this helps cement his legacy, that’s all to the good.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Been playing the heck out of the Lords of Midnight remake on my telephonating machine, so will certainly keep an eye on this. And perhaps throw a few coins at them too.

2. Maxheadroom says:

Being firmly in the C64 camp back in the day I never really got to play Lords of Midnight and now feel I’ve missd out somewhat.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I was a C64 owner back in the day & played both Lords of Midnight & it’s sequel Doomdarks Revenge after they were given away on covertapes with Zzap! 64 in successive months.

• Maxheadroom says:

Bah now I feel like ve missed out twice! I was an avid Zzap64 buyer too! (still got my issue 1) How did I manage to miss those?

• razgon says:

yeah,I played the hell out of both LOM and its successor on the C64 -Simply brilliant games. I bought the new one for the mobile, but while a very good remake (Even including automap) its too fiddly on a phone.

3. PostieDoc says:

A Midwinter remake, yes please!
    One of my favourite Amiga games and in many respects, way ahead of its time.

• Harlander says:

I’m very excited about Midwinter remakes. The original series’ control mechanism has aged badly, but there’s obviously a lot to take from those games.

4. Xanadu says:

Bought the LoM for iphone on release. My main problem is that I always preferred Doomdark’s revenge – the world, plot,mechanics, scale and characters. played LoM on my speccy several times, finished 2 or 3 (always with Morkin, never the full battle), but must have played DR a hundred, and its still one of my favourite games ever. I’m still hopeful that as they have done one for iOS (and are redoing again as described in article, then they might do the same for Doomdark’s revenge

Then again my foolproof tactic for DR was to hide Luxor in a hole the whole game as you could only lose if he was killed, and nothing could hurt him there as long as he didn’t move. I wonder if AI changes might be able to get around this cunning plan 30 years on?

EDIT – checked the link: “I’m currently working on the desktop version of Lords of Midnight and will be moving on to Doomdark’s Revenge soon”. Hurrah!

5. LionsPhil says:

Well, glad to see that if someone’s going to do it, it’s someone positioned to do it well. Midwinter was amazing.

6. Asurmen says:

Mindwinter? Is that some name for a brain storm that produces no ideas and everyone’s brain freezes?

Edit: and now it sys Mndwinter. Almoat there RPS.

7. makute says:

Every modern “open world” game out there could learn a couple things from Midwinter.

8. larchy says:

I absolutely played to death Midwinter 2 (Flames of Freedom) on my trusty Amiga 1200. Even back then you could always tell it was struggling against the limits of 3D graphics at the time, but it was a fantastic open-world secret agent type of affair; a sort of more serious version of Just Cause with an actual proper decent strategy game underpinning it all that makes the like of modern Far Crys et al look about as deep as Paris Hilton.

• AlwaysRight says:

Totally agree, an amazing game but totally over ambitious for it’s time. I must have spent hours of my young life staring at the *hijacking in progress* loading screen.

• Prime says:

Flames of Freedom needs an modern remake so badly it actually hurts gaming not to have one. Endless hours of my youth were lost to this game.

9. Mud says:

A Midwinter remake, thats probably the best news I’ve read in years.
    AFAIK the biggest play map ever created for a computer game.

10. GreatUncleBaal says:

Mixed reaction to the LoM remake; to me, it’s perfect as is, warts and all. The game is one of my favourites of all time, and was a big influence on me when it came out. I bloody loved that desolate wintry landscape, and the idea of a few individuals trying to change the course of a coming huge battle. I found a system that works nearly every time, but only with one character (on a recruitment race before Doomdark swamped their forts), and it remains fun even replaying years on. The Ice Fear mechanic was bloody brilliant too.
    Losing your standing army to dragons and then being slaughtered by bastard Skulkrin shortly afterwards – not so brilliant, but still greatness.
    I think like Alec says, if anyone’s gonna do it now, it’s probably in the right hands, so fingers crossed!

11. lordfrikk says:

I’m still waiting for the PC version :/

12. icemark says:

Just wanted to clarify something… The plan for Midwinter is starting now, I’m currently trying to bring this together. The Lords of Midnight: 30th Anniversary is a nice to have, ie: if I could find funding for 2 projects.

So I’m currently putting together the finishing touches to the Desktop ( Windows/Mac ) version of The Lords of Midnight remake that is currently out on iOS, and Android, etc… then I will continue on with Doomdark’s Revenge for all platforms – which will be released later this year.

The planning for Midwinter has started NOW, with LoM:30 being an also ran to Midwinter…

Chris Wild

13. Guhndahb says:

Midwinter was absolutely brilliant. I’ve never played anything like it since, but have longed to do so. It’s definitely been near the top of my list for games that desperately need a remake ever since remakes came into vogue. I hope, if it is developed for tablets too, that it doesn’t lose any of its complexity. The complexity of the game was core to the experience.

14. Scrote says:

I literally burned two Spectrums to death playing Lords of Midnight and Doomdark’s Revenge. They overheated and smoke came out of the back and after that they stopped working :(

Comment on this story