Greenlight Lives: Anodyne, Receiver, More Make The Cut

By Nathan Grayson on February 27th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

The moral of Receiver? Guns are hard.

Gabe Newell hasn’t been particularly sweet on Steam Greenlight as of late, but the fully open Steam of tomorrow hasn’t supplanted its “dictatorial” ways just yet. Instead, the mighty user-driven machine trundles on, streamlining the process where it can and rhythmically opening its jaw each month to crunch down whatever creative morsels we offer up. So then, what’s on the menu this time around? Well, semi-big-names certainly top the list, but it’s not without a couple enticing curiosities.

A total of ten games made it onto Steam’s hallowed virtual shelves this time around. But how will you ever figure out which ones? It’s probably impossible, but I recommend glancing down a couple millimeters.

• Anodyne
  • Distance
  • Evoland
  • Huntsman: The Orphanage
  • Kingdom Rush
  • Legends of Dawn
  • Organ Trail: Director’s Cut
  • Receiver
  • Surgeon Simulator 2013
  • War Thunder

You will, of course, recognize Anodyne, Distance, Evoland, Kingdom Rush, Legends of Dawn, Organ Trail, Receiver, Surgeon Simulator, and even War Thunder from the folder in your photographic memory labeled “RPS” – which sits suffocatingly atop the one called “Precious Childhood Memories.” Huntsman, meanwhile, is apparently survival horror sans bloody violence. Instead, it focuses on “pro-actively” appeasing the wishes of evil orphans, which I think was the plot of Vin Diesel’s The Pacifier.

Speaking personally, I’m pretty thrilled to see Receiver – the almost comically realistic gun game – and Evoland get the Greenlight spotlight, but Huntsman definitely has my eye. Any new horror game that’s not a Slender clone or whatever Dead Space 3 was is well worth some cursory attention, if nothing else.

What’s your take, though? Are any of these standouts particularly strong? And of course, plenty of games continue to vie for Greenlight voters’ mental bandwidth, but which ones do you think deserve more attention?

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Clavus says:

I really hope Receiver will turn into a bigger game over time. It has quite a lot of potential.

2. pakoito says:

• JB says:

I’m afraid douchebags doesn’t even cover it. Dom3 is amazing.

• Firkragg says:

Just popped on to say thanks, didn’t know it was on greenlight until I read your comment.
      +1 greenlight

• Hahaha says:

“Man, I just don’t like how Greenlight is working out.

So far, 90% of the games are simply “trendy” games, most of which are in a prototype phase.

There are lots of great, completed games that get brushed aside for some flavor-of-the-month bullcrap. I mean, Surgeon Simulator?.. Give me a break…”

“Surgeon Simulator?!”

“Most of those are prototypes. I guess there’s not that many finished games waiting f…DOMINIONS 3 IS ON GREENLIGHT YOU DOUCHEBAGS.”

• seagaia says:

Anodyne is finished! :)

• Tanidar says:

FINISHED!? Not quite, there need to be more hidden items in the game to completely fill the post-game item checklist and satisfy my OCD before it’s finished…! But in all seriousness, I really dug the game, glad you made it through Greenlight!

3. rustybroomhandle says:

Dreamfall: Chapters just went up on Greenlight. I guess they don’t get a free pass on account of the two previous games being on there, since this one is technically an entirely different company.

• Hatsworth says:

It won’t affect them of course, but it is essentially wasting a slot if they uphold the arbitrary 10 game per monthish rate.

4. PitfireX says:

Hell yeah Receiver is AWESOME!

5. Aaax says:

Kingdom rush has possibly the best game mechanics of any tower defense game I’ve played and is unreasonably fun too. Would (and will, on Steam) buy again.

6. SkittleDiddler says:

Don’t forget about Driftmoon, people. That game deserves a greenlight.

7. Mr. Mister says:

DISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE!

• ZyloMarkIII says:

Woohoo! The spiritual successor to Nitronic Rush, a free (if I recall correctly) arcade racing game with impressive visuals and an awesome soundtrack (that is also free to download). I suggest anyone with some spare time to give it a shot and see just how good that game was considering its development team of 11 people hailing from DigiPen making their own engine (again, if I recall correctly). Here’s hoping Distance is successful. Team Nitronic totally deserves it.

8. John Mirra says:

Still no Silent Storm or Inquisitor.

9. Droopy The Dog says:

I’m not so sure Huntsman is actually stepping away from the slenderman design. It looks like a very similar concept to me.

The superimposed videos of little ghost children remind me of 90s sierra adventure games though, so that’s entertaining at least.

10. MOKKA says:

Surgeon Simulator?!

• myelbow says:

My thoughts exactly. While fun to laugh at for a couple of minutes, I don’t really see a game worth talking about based on my time with it.

It seems that Greenlight is possibly beginning to suffer from the joke vote issue. Hey lets all go vote for this thing and see if it gets the green light. It’ll be funny…yeah…..funny.

• Bishop says:

Maybe it’s the game’s media at fault for rushing to cover joke games for that 1 hour window where the internet is interested and leaving the hundreds of emails from developers desperate to spread the word sitting in their inbox unread (my cousin is a games journo and he says he only reads about 10% of his emails).

• Shuck says:

Certainly the nature of Greenlight is that it requires developers to bring in voters from outside the Greenlight system, as it’s been such a mess from day one that it’s impossible to discover interesting games within it. So it does all come down to what sort of attention a particular game is getting elsewhere, on the web.

• SkittleDiddler says:

QWOPFACE

11. Jack-Dandy says:

Man, I just don’t like how Greenlight is working out.

• Caiman says:

Yeah, I’d rather Valve / Steam decide on what quality games get onto Steam rather than the small percentage of Steam users who vote on Greenlight.. I know Steam doesn’t always get it right, but Greenlight just doesn’t seem to be achieving what it was meant to. I’d rather use Desura for that and make my own choices.

12. Erkin says:

Seriously, still no Alea Jacta Est !? (from AGEOD)

• bob. says:

That game is the best depiction of Ancient warfare and in my opinion both the best AGEOD game and one of the best strategy games of last year! It really needs to be on Steam!

13. bob. says:

Did Receiver ever get an update? I remember reading something about planned updates..

• Meldreth says:

Well, that would depend on when you stopped checking if it had gotten any, cause it sure did get a few updates after its release, but now it’s been a while. For instance two guns were added, as well as a few other ways to interact with your gun.
      But it’s still not much of a game. ( Please don’t take that for a ” Meh, that’s no game “. I just mean that right now Receiver is a bunch of really awesome and original functionalities, but there just isn’t really anything to do with them, once you’ve understood how it works. )

14. Kickdrum says:

Concerning the Huntsman preview videos: I’m pretty sure “Dean from Shadowshifters” is actually Rhys Darby.

15. derbefrier says:

War thunder looks like it could be.fun and on closer inspection it looks like its in open beta. Gonna have to give it a try.

16. Fullforce says:

Organ Trail is ace. Been playing a lot of it on iOS. Glad to see it on Steam.

17. deadly.by.design says:

You, Sir, are being Huntsman’d.

18. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Anodyne is great but I wish it natively supported a gamepad

• deadly.by.design says:

Yeah, that would be nice. At least we can rebind controls to whatever we want.

I’m up to around 20 cards on my play through. Its mix of Zelda, Startropics and Earthbound is holding my attention pretty well.

My only real complaint is that constant feeling of “Am I done with this area yet?” With cards being the main thing to find and items being scant, I’m constantly checking the map to see if I’ve visited all of the squares yet. That’s pretty much the only way I know I’m done with a zone. Sometimes you have a boss, but not always.

• seagaia says:

I swear I will actually attempt to do this soon.

19. Pudge says:

Where is the Pinball Arcade? I WANT MY PINBALL!

Comment on this story