Dark’s Gameplay Trailer Shows Squatting, Darkness

By Jim Rossignol on March 1st, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Kalypso and Realmforge’s stealth action game Dark has revealed its sneakings and dude-throttlings in a new trailer, which you can see below. The sci-fi vampire game, which is still scheduled for Q2 of this year, looks intriguing, with references to Splinter Cell and Deus Ex chiming in with its more Masqueradey vampiric associations. The trailer shows a lot of the sneaking action, as well as a range of powers that players can use to splat or avoid antagonists.

Eric Bane is still a terrible name, though.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. dicenslice says:

Haven’t we already seen this?

• McBeak says:

Could’ve sworn it was the exact trailer we saw in the last article

• televizor says:

Yep, they posted this before.
      But I just realized he sneaked up behind that guard and then blinked in front of him to take him out?
      That’s the dumbest stealth takedown I’ve ever seen.

• Douglas_Taylor says:

as Ryan implied I am startled that some people able to profit $8506 in four weeks on the computer. did you see this link… http://tiny.cc/get-cash

2. Emeraude says:

The good thing, I guess, is that I want this game to be good but, given its pedigree, I cannot find it in me to expect it will be good.

If it actually turns out decent, well all the better.

3. MuscleHorse says:

Eric Bane. lol.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

You’re trying to start a new lol train, aren’t you. OK fine, I’ll bite

lol.

4. Jake says:

Eric McBain would have been better.

5. Keyrock says:

Even worse than the name “Eric Bane” is that awful song playing during the trailer. Holy smokes, that song is bad. :o

• StarkeRealm says:

It sounds like someone’s trying to rip off Chasim from VTM: Bloodlines, badly.

6. DickSocrates says:

Hoodie, I like it. Very contemporary; urban. Very now. Edgy. I like it. Yah, let’s go with the hoodie. Youth.

ETC.

7. Mr.Bats says:

Dat animations… clunky at best

• Stevostin says:

There’s a clear lack of talents in their artists. Everything is far below the average. Let’s hope they have good game designers and writers.

“Eric Bane. This is MY name”.

Woops.

8. Stevostin says:

Helllloo 2007.

Nah, I am kidding. 2007 looked better than that.

9. Jason Moyer says:

If you’re going to copy anything from VTM Bloodlines, the soundtrack is probably the very last thing I’d go for. It’s good to know that goth music hasn’t evolved at all in 20 years though.

• Stevostin says:

Please! Bloodlines soundtrack is great, the above one is awful. It’s not goth or not. It’s just taste and talent (or lack of).

• Jason Moyer says:

I don’t see how the song in this trailer is worse than everything on the Bloodlines soundtrack (not counting the score, of course). It’s certainly not any worse than that horrible Isolation song you had to hear over and over in the Asylum.

• Iskariot says:

Tastes obviously differ.
          I personally liked the Bloodlines soundtrack.
          The music in this trailer is of inferior quality. It sounds very thin. It is a bloodlines wannabee.

• Tridae says:

I came here just to say how I loved the soundtrack in Bloodlines and I was happy to see something similar being used in this. That isolation song was great, often times I’d just hang around in the Asylum just to listen to that. Nothing says vampire culture more than some goth music, no need for orchestral, rock or electronic score, this style of music fits perfectly to the subject matter. This game wasn’t really on my radar until now with that trailer song, takes me back to bloodlines days. The game even has that same kind of awkward-ish animation and slightly buggy feel to it. Can’t wait.

10. Revolving Ocelot says:

I’m Eric Bane, yes, that’s my name.
    I’m stronger, smarter, clinically insaaaaaaane.

11. lofaszjoska says:

Geralt’s voice actor should be banned from using his Geralt-y voice in anything other than Witcher.

Whoever came up with the line “XY looks to make the stealth genre cool again” should be banned from the face of the fucking Earth.

12. Aiken Drum says:

Nothing really stood out for me. Except the Wilhelm Scream at 1:40.

13. elliott says:

I always thought Dishonored (prononced Dish – onored) was missing something from The Matrix…

14. D-e-f- says:

Wait, Geralt’s a vampire?

• HadToLogin says:

Seeing that he died in books but is mobile enough to act in three more games, that could be a good explanation why rigor mortis doesn’t affect him :P

15. kud13 says:

Whatever happened to that Demonicon game Kalypso was gonna publish?

16. Iskariot says:

It does not look very good, certainly not AAA, but I still want it because there are no other vampire games.
    Even the music is a bit meh… obviously vampire bloodlines wannabee, but of lesser quality.

17. Exostenza says:

I had no idea they were still making PS2 games…

18. luukdeman111 says:

seriously… who came up with the name dark….. how are you supposed to google that?

19. Coriform says:

Wilhelm scream ruins everything.

20. dftaylor says:

I loved Bloodlines. Sure, it ran so badly that I thought my computer had broken, but the slowly escalating madness and the wonderful stories and characters were just ahead of their time.

I remember it went on sale two weeks after it came out. From £30 down to £10 (which is what I got it for) and is a crying shame. Imagine a sequel.

21. scatterlogical says:

The second I saw the Kalypso logo my heart sank. They are complete shovelware pushers.
    “Squatting” and “Darkness” reminds me of a hobo in an alley. Appropriate article title.
    This tries to borrow everything “cool” from everything successful in the past several years, yet misses the point completely. With writing and music selection by a bunch of 15-year-old goths, and an engine from 2004, I’m sure this will be a roaring success. That said, I do find amusement in reading about Metacritic’s 10 worst games. I guess that’s something they can easily aim for.

• StarkeRealm says:

Oh good, for a second, I was genuinely concerned I was the only one that picked up on that.

22. gruia says:

Graphics look bad, Naming is terribull
    hope the writing n gameplay r good at least

23. shagen454 says:

Reminds me of some idiot my band played with recently. Had tons of lasers on him, hardly sang but put up a big front with smiling like some generic Marilyn Manson creep, with video that should have had Terence Mckenna talking about DMT and hallucinogenic pharmacology over it instead of some Ministry type bullshit distortion and generic 80s industrial beats.

Vampires can be cool look at Angus Maclises Invasion Thunderbolt Pagoda. I bet if Frictional Games did a Vampire oriented game the ambient sound and music would be more like what is in that film. Or maybe some old Throbbing Gristle of which was genuinely dark and existential yet original and creative. The whole vampire cheese goth thing is overdone and almost mildly interesting.

24. gritz says:

Not going to lie- this looks like an excellent guilty pleasure game.

25. Megakoresh says:

LOL @ Animation quality :D
    We’ll see, I suppose. A game doesn’t need good animation to be cool.