Mayday, Mayday! – Metro: Last Light Releasing In May

By Nathan Grayson on March 1st, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

April showers bring incredibly bleak May doomsday scenarios. My mother always used to tell me that, right before encouraging me to succeed with sagely tidbits like “Your generation will doom us all.” I’ll admit that a bit of it went over my head. Now, though, it’s beginning to make sense, seeing as Metro: Last Light‘s  blown back the radioactive vapors from THQ’s nuclear self-destruction to reveal a May launch date. So hooray! I finally understand my childhood. Also, videogames. Details after the break.

Last Light will bring its brand of paradoxically pitch black train tunnel intrigue to North America on May 14th and everywhere else May 17th. Because nothing says “lightspeed techno-magic of the digital age” like an arbitrary release date gap. It’s not all slightly bewildering news, though. A little extra development time can go a long way, and 4A intends to make the most of the slight delay.

“The extra time will go towards a final layer of polish, in order to provide fans of mature and atmospheric first-person shooters with the best possible single-player experience we can offer. We are working on details for pre-orders, and hope to have these available soon.”

You’ll remember that Deep Silver – they of Dead Island and now Saints Row fame – have taken over publishing duties on Metro. Happily, they also seem quite dedicated to making Last Light the best game it can be, so everybody wins. Except for Russia. Things, um, aren’t looking so great for them.

, , .

1. Revolving Ocelot says:

Well, so long as they aren’t using the extra time solely to make a decapitated head sporting a gas mask as a Collector’s Edition souvenir.

• povu says:

There may still be time for a backwards playing trailer though.

• bit.bat says:

Only if the trailer promises a somber character driven tone that has nothing to do with the game.

• Gamboni says:

Well you see that would be fine as it does not include any unmentionable part of the female body.

• The Random One says:

I want a collector’s edition gaspad.

Or a gascodpiece?

• Bugamn says:

I would actually like that. Better if the gas mask had no decapitated head inside, but nothing’s perfect.

• x3m157 says:

I think for a game like Metro it would be a nice touch to have the collector’s edition include a M-15 or M-40FPA mask with the logo on it. I’d buy that!*

*(well, I need to buy an NBC mask anyways, with game or not :P)

• Douglas_Taylor says:

just as Jacob responded I’m in shock that any body can earn $9195 in four weeks on the computer. have you seen this site link… http://tiny.cc/get-cash

2. Malleus says:

Will this also be with single slot checkpoint only save system, like 2033?

3. Ruffian says:

Good to read. good to read, indeed.

4. Trashcanman says:

Man, really happy about this. Absolutely adored Metro 2033 as a great if somewhat tarnished gem. Was fearing this would be another game that got quietly cancelled.

Now I just need to lose the fear that the game itself is a dumbed down sequel or that the new publisher demanded ‘streamlining.’ Oh well, we’ll see.

• welverin says:

There’s not enough time for the new publisher to demand much of anything. Two months isn’t enought o make much of any changes, much less major ones.

5. captain nemo says:

Bioshock Infinite (26th March) & Metro Last Light (14th May) – Good times ahead.

If the gods are with us, Fortnite might even release in April and not be rubbish.

6. Premium User Badge Continuity says:

Nice, I kinda enjoyed the first one so i’m looking forward to it. Gotta love those Russian FPS games right?

7. Velko says:

“Final layer of Polish” eh? So they’re going to call it, what, Metro: Ostatni Ogién?

…I’ll get my coat.

8. internisus says:

That’s great. Now I just hope they sort out this business of Ranger Mode being an exclusive bonus for pre-orders.

• rei says:

Huh, hadn’t heard that. Baffling if that’s how it turns out to be… did anyone even play the bullet sponge “normal” mode in the first one?

• akstro says:

In fairness, the game had a storyline reason that the bullets you are using are of low quality and made after the apocalypse. As well as the enemies were wearing armour.

9. kament says:

It seems I won’t be able to get out of the country in time. Talk about deeper immersion.

10. rei says:

This has been at the top of my waiting list for ages. Loved the original, enough to go on to read the novel (which was also excellent). So relieved THQ’s collapse didn’t doom this.

11. GallonOfAlan says:

Playing 2033 at the minute. A great achievement, some great enthusiasm evident on the part of the devs, and some fantastic atmosphere/

However, the checkpoint save system is horribly, horribly broken. It will happily checkpoint with a grenade an inch from your nose leaving you with no chance on reload.

If this one has the same, count me out.

12. Dezmiatu says:

I need to replay the original. The thing really putting me off is how you can’t kill people for the good ending. By far, combat was more fun against the human opponents than the monsters. Why won’t the game let me stealth past the monsters instead? Humans are dime a dozen, but giant flying demons? They’re rare and precious critters that deserve to proliferate.

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

Nonsense. Killing bandits has no effect on the ending you can choose. You might want to listen in on their conversations for extra ‘moral points’ before you shoot them, though.

• Trashcanman says:

Fun thing is that in Metro it’s the other way around. Oh, and for the good ending you don’t need to do all the stealth stuff and not killing humans thingies. You do however have to get more ‘good’ than ‘bad’ karma by reacting in certain ways and doing certain things throughout the game. Like playing a guitar, looking at a picture or not hanging around two people discussing something personal. Metro lets you know by playing a sound effect and letting the screen go lighter or darker for a moment when you do it.

Damn, ninja-ed.

• Dezmiatu says:

Thank you both for the clarification. It is reassuring to know that I can still be kill crazy so long has I learn which auditory hallucinations mean that the great wheel of karma is voicing its approval.

• InternetBatman says:

It’s not necessarily karma so much as broadening your experiences. You need to listen and experience as much as possible to be open to the possibility that they’re not evil. It’s harder to get the good ending than not.

• PikaBot says:

Personally, I found the gunplay against humans to be the worst part of the game. The stealth mechanics were weak to broken, the AI was ridiculously aggressive, and it just felt unfair and unfun.

13. Arglebargle says:

Ennh… Will wait for way more detailed reviews on what the new Metro is like. I found Metro 2033 to have great atmosphere, but to otherwise be an irritating rails shooter. Bad QTEs, awful save system, funky UI. Lots of great things to see, that you can’t actually stop and look at. Thank goodness I got it cheap.

Probably didn’t help that what I really wanted was another Stalker.

14. buzzmong says:

Get out of here Stal…ah, stuff it, close enough…ker.

15. Pryde says:

“Except for Russia”.

Oh, don’t you worry, sir. We’ll survive and wait. We’ll surviiive and waaait….

16. MinisterofDOOM says:

My Radeon 6870 is already quaking in its boots. Every time the mouse cursor goes anywhere near the Metro 2033 shortcut, the poor little GPU’s fan starts howling in agony.

• Eddy9000 says:

are you sure? my 5770 handles it just fine. Perhaps give it a good air dust or update your drivers?

• F3ck says:

If I may…

Try lowering AA & AF – or even try DX10 for a performance boost. While it’s true that game has some gpu-pumping moments, I too (as Eddy9000* mentions) use to play 2033 on a 5770 without issues (although I did raise fan manually to 75% before playing).

I just reinstalled to replay a bit with an OC’d 7870 and it looked about the same (although obviously this card didn’t need to work as hard).

*also he is of course right about the drivers

17. Rian Snuff says:

And this would be at the top of my want.
    Take all the time you need guys! I know it’s gunna be amazing.

18. weirdoo says:

This sudden announcement of release makes me worried