Orion: Dino Horde Announced, Free To Beatdown Buyers

By Nathan Grayson on March 1st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

OK, that's nice, but can we put people heads on dinosaurs?

Orion: Dino Beatdown was the best-named of all the videogames. Unfortunately, it then had to go and ruin that by being very glitchy and generally un-fun to, you know, play. That in mind, Spiral wants you to consider Orion: Dino Horde both a) an apology and b) a, er, finished product. It seems like more or less what they were aiming for with Beatdown, and thankfully, they’re making it free to everyone who purchased the first prehistoric jetpack blaster. “This is the sequel to Dino Beatdown and you receiveing it for free shouldn’t even be a question on anyone’s mind. We are extremely sorry about falling short on our first release and the problems you may have experienced,” Spiral wrote. Details and a couple trailers after the break.

Spiral’s touting Dino Horde as a sequel that’s “three times bigger” than Beatdown, with the biggest new feature of all likely being playable dinosaurs. For now, however, it’s just five humans versus one player-controlled T-Rex (and some equally Jurassic AIs), so Primal Carnage this ain’t. The other major addition is something called Arena, which sounds exciting until you hear its full, non-abbreviated name: Adrenaline Tutorials. Erm, yeah. But oh, there are lots of smaller things, too! Here’s the full list:

• 50+ Weapons & Gear (20+ new)
  • 5 New Game Modes
  • 6 Vehicles
  • 9 Dinosaurs
  • 7 Levels
  • Lobbies, Matchmaking, Server Browser
  • 100 Steam Achievements
  • Spiral Store (Premium Content – Hats, Taunts, Char Packs)
  • 30+ Augmentations (Mutators)

Hooray, a store. I mean, we can’t have fun without those anymore, right? Anyway, Dino Horde sounds like a far more robust take on Beatdown’s hot lead-on-lizard action, though I’m still definitely approaching with caution. Spiral’s heart is in the right place, but that didn’t stop it from going into a proverbial tailspin last time around. Still though, baby steps are good – even for treetrunk-legged dinosaurs.

Plus, come on: can we please have a good humans vs dinos blast-’em-up already? Beatdown even had jetpacks, and they still couldn’t get it right. Really now, how hard is it to make Videogame: The Game? Usually, I believe in this industry with all my heart, but sometimes… sometimes I just don’t know.

Orion: Dino Horde will be out sometime early this year. You can sign up for the beta test here. Thanks, Indie Statik.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. xBISHOPx says:

So its the original with some extra re skinned dinos, an in game store, and they’re trying to do what Primal Carnage did?

Nope.

Don’t want anything to do with it.

• MLavine says:

Hey my name is Mark and I am handling all-things marketing for Spiral and ‘ORION: Dino Horde’.

While the upcoming ‘ORION: Dino Horde’ certainly adds its fair share of new content (3x Dinosaurs, 2x Weapons, 3x the levels, 5x as many game modes) the most important things to note are what’s actually beneath all of that.

The developers have literally revamped or completely remade all systems in the game, including:
      – New Netcode & Connectivity
      – New Artificial Intelligence
      – New New Lighting, Graphics & Particle Systems
      – New SteamWorks Features (Lobbies, Matchmaking, 100 Achievements, Big Picture Support)
      – New Animation & Sound Systems
      – New Game, Weapon & Player Mechanics

I highly recommend applying for the beta [ http://dinohorde.com - given you own Dino Beatdown] and check it out as it’s vastly different and we couldn’t be more proud – especially since we are able to give it out for free to all that stood by and supported us during our very difficult first release.

2. Muzman says:

The top screeny has this weird cartoony quality to it for some reason. I thought I was looking at some sort of Lego Halo with TF2-like hats in it.
    No idea why.

3. Magnusm1 says:

To be fair, Beatdown was so bad it was amazing.
    Great soundtrack though.

4. Jekhar says:

I remember there was at least one other scifi dino shooter out there and i’m always confusing them. Was this the one with the stolen assets/unpaid artists/kinda jerky developer?

• Hazzard65 says:

The very same, yes. I’ve spoken to him, he is a jerk.

• supernorn says:

Yes! I can also confirm that he is a massive egotistical jerk. Do not give this man your time and/or money.

• MLavine says:

He can’t be that bad considering he is giving every original owner the game for free.

• MrLebanon says:

links please!

• Jekhar says:

Here’s one for free: click Google yourself if you want more info, i was just along for the popcorn back then and didn’t save any links.

5. Iamerror says:

This is the same team whose multiplayer centric game didn’t have a working server browser months after release? [In fact I don't think I ever heard they fixed that, did they?]
    Whose game is/was one of the worst games currently available on Steam? Who made extreme promises over and over again and failed to deliver on them?

Pass.

6. TychoCelchuuu says:

Yeah… no thanks.

7. Andy`` says:

So I guess that Orion: Prelude game they got funded on kickstarter two years ago went really well then.

8. Phantoon says:

“and you receiveing it for free shouldn’t even be a question on anyone’s mind.”

Not only is that hard to read, that isn’t how you spell receiving.

9. MrLebanon says:

Very cynical commenters jeez… haven’t played the first game but i think the gesture of owners of the first getting this “new and improved” (and hopefully working) game is a good one.

Thumbs up to developer.

I’ll apply for the beta and see if it is any good

10. John Connor says:

The developer is a douchebag. He can stick his game up his ass.

11. MadTinkerer says:

Man, I love this. Game Development is a tricky business and things don’t always go right on the release of the first game. Sometimes the first release doesn’t live up to expectations, and sometimes it fails to emerge at all. But when the developers sit down, refuse to let one failure end their efforts, and regroup to give their customers what they deserve, then I think that deserves a round of applause.

I’ve seen it now with Elemental, A Valley Without Wind*, and several Kickstarter projects that went over-budget and over-schedule but eventually delivered on their promises. I don’t own Orion now, but I’ll definitely keep this information in mind.

*Which, arguably, was a flawed but fun first release. I know I enjoyed it, but the sequel really shines.

12. Slinkyboy says:

Looks nice. I’ll be waiting for reviews.

13. Tukuturi says:

The problem with this is that the bugs and the bad animations were the only reason to play Dino Beatdown. For an hour or so, with a few friends, the game was genuinely fun in an unintentional B-movie kind of way. There was, however, no real gameplay beneath it all.