The RPS Bargain Bucket: Bumping Off

By Lewie Procter on March 2nd, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

It’s that time again. I’ve been scavenging all over the digital wilderness that is the market for discounted digitally distributed entertainment software, hunting for the deals that represent the best ratio of financial outlay to potential enjoyment, and I reckon this week’s selection is rather good. Of course if you don’t see anything here you like the look of, you can always pop along to SavyGamer.co.uk to see which games are cheap at any time. Read on to see what’s inside this week’s bargain bucket.

Sonic All Star Racing: Transformed – £9.99/€12.49/$14.99
Registers on Steam.
I’ve only played a bit of my housemate’s copy of this, and it seemed fine. The handling is somewhere in-between Mario Kart and Outrun 2, although I think I’d prefer if it was less of a middle ground. They’ve got Sonic in a car, which I still can’t quite get my head around, but they’ve also got Ristar waving the starting flag, which I heartily endorse. If you’ve got any nostalgia for Sega back in their prime, and want to play a game that is a bit like Mario Kart on the PC, this is probably your best bet.

Pixelry – Pay What You Want
A totally historically accurate re-enactment of medieval jousting, with far less chance of getting your skull caved in by a well timed blow from your opponent. Pixelry is a game about riding a horse and using a big stick to knock your opponent off their horse, whilst trying your hardest to not let them hit you with your stick. This is a work in progress alpha build, but if you buy it now you’ll get the final release when it’s done, at no extra cost. Pixels sure do look nice when they’re used properly, don’t they?

Cave Story+ – £1.75/€2.50/$2.50
Speaking of pixels looking nice, here’s another beautiful looking game that uses pixel art. This is the enhanced 2011 rerelease of the classic indie platformer, adding a host of extra modes and entirely redone artwork. If you’ve got any love for the 16-bit platformers of yore, or if like me you’re a sucker for any game with even a hint of Metroid to it, Cave Story is a must play. Run, don’t walk.

Splinter Cell: Conviction – £1.60
Apply coupon “GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS”.
This is probably my least favourite of all the Splinter Cells. It seems to me that they nailed the formula with Chaos Theory, and whilst (the PC version) of Double Agent was a major misstep, I don’t really think that Splinter Cell needed to be reinvented as a far less interesting corridor shooter. If you’ve got infinite ammo, if you can’t move bodies, and if there’s a button for “kill all the baddies in the room instantly”, it’s not really a Splinter Cell game any more. That said, I went into it expecting something more than a flashy corridor shooter. I think if you go in knowing what to expect, there’s probably £1.60 worth of fun to be had here. Did they turn off the nonsense always online DRM yet?

Deal of the week
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning – £4
Apply coupon “GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS”. Registers on Origin.
Just earlier this week, John asked how come no one had played this:

For me, what’s made this especially special, is it’s the first time I’ve ever bothered to properly engage with a game’s blocking mechanic. Like how most fun action-driving games really never need you to press the brake, most action-combat games never really need you to bother with blocking. There are ways, means, hammering of buttons that generally get around such a faff if you’re as lazy as me. But here it’s so damned rewarding, so absolutely satisfying every time you time it perfectly, that I’m finally converted. I’m actually slowing down for the corners, rather than bumping off the barriers at the side.

Did you play it yet? It’s not been this cheap before, so there’s no reason not to snap it up now.

Also of note:
Tomb Raider – £16.76/€19.36/$25.21. Registers on Steam. This is from Brazil, and appears to be region free.
Delve Deeper, Guns of Icarus Online, KRUNCH, Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior’s Rise & Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People – £3.96/€4.57/$5.95
War of the Roses – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
Mark of the Ninja – £3.99/€4.99/$4.99
The Basement Collection – £2.39
Rochard – £2.71. Registers on Steam.
The Cave – £4.99
Postal 3 – £3. Apply coupon “GFDMAR20UK”. Registers on Steam.
The Darkness II – £3.99. Apply coupon “GFDMAR20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Beyond Good & Evil – £1.40. Apply coupon “GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS”.
The Last Remnant – £2. Apply coupon “GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS”. Registers on Steam.
Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS into DREAMS, SEGA Bass Fishing, Sega Mega Drive Classic Game Pack & Space Channel 5 Part 2 – £11.49. Apply coupon “GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS”. Registers on Steam.
Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic CD, Sonic 4: Episode 1, Sonic 4: Episode II, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Generations & Sonic SEGA All Stars Racing – £14.78. Apply coupon “GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS”. Registers on Steam.

There are even more cheap games waiting for you over at SavyGamer.co.uk.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tacroy says:

Kingdoms of Amalur was a great game in serious need of a competent editor. It’s probably the only game I’ve ever played where cutting out content would have made for a better experience.

I mean, I don’t think anyone’s actually beaten the thing – people just give up about halfway in because it feels like you’ve seen everything there is to see besides the conclusion to the main plot.

• HadToLogin says:

And why that works in Skyrim and doesn’t work in KotA?

• Jason Moyer says:

Because Skyrim’s world feels like it was put together by human beings rather than MMO designers.

• AgentBJ09 says:

Considering how Skyrim plays, it’s more of an MMO than Amalur. It’s the only one between the two that has repeatable grind quests, and the one between the two that has simplified, that is to say, no, stats in every category.

If both already feel like single-player MMOs, I’ll take the one that has run with and is embracing the look and concept, and which was written by a competent, well-known writing team, versus the one that keeps simplifying itself for the sake of easy profits.

• TheMopeSquad says:

One thing that struck me about Amalur was how the world told a story of war, essentially you’re moving east to west and as you progress you get deeper into the conflict. From where you begin seeing the fallout of people trying to escape the war, wounded, burying their loved ones killed in the war. To the plains of erathil, a land deserted, the crossroads of refugees.

Then going farther you get into the most climactic part of the game in the re-taking of Mel Senshir which puts you in the midst of everything in a well depicted battle. After that things wind back down, but now you’re in the heart of enemy territory against forces you rarely had to fight before are all over the place. Finally moving further into Alabastra you finally see the what the power and madness Gadflow has unleashed in the wasted surreal landscape and just what would befall the world if you fail to stop him.

Skyrim well, I don’t want to compare the two, but you know I never even started the quest where you pick a side, Pretty much did everything except that.

• BooleanBob says:

Huh. And now I want to play Kingdoms of Amalur. Weird, from everything I’d seen and read about it, including reviews, I was sure there wasn’t anything that could convince me to feel that way.

• paddymaxson says:

Skkyrin, in my eyes at least, really isn’t a better game than Amalur, but there are some mild differences:

Skyrim’s world is more Open. Amalur’s is a lot of large areas with transitions to each other, in Skyrim, if you can get around the requisite mountains you can get from anywhere to anywhere else, in Amalur you really can”t, the later areas are landlocked to each other with sea around them and you can’t swim there, so it’s not a truly “open” world. Which some people don’t like

The second thing is that Skyrim is a game by Bethesda, a known company producing a known sequel to a known game. Amalur was a first game by a new company, run by a man who’s NEVER made a game in his life that had a demo that served to put people off the game, it’s not necessarily a worse game, but it had considerably worse marketing and nobody really anticipated it in the way they’d anticipate a sequel to a massively important game.

There’s a great theory on game demos that states no demo is better than a demo purely for marketing purposes.

A bad demo can only hurt your game
        No demo can only build a bit of anticipation.

A demo can take developer resources away from the game itself. Amalur’s demo was especially bad as it had a reason to play it. Free DLC for something else EA published if you played the demo. So that bad demo got a lot of people playing it, barely worked for most of them and didn’t advertise the game well at all. Amalur was a marketing fiasco, Skyrim’s marketing was great.

• Tacroy says:

Different design standpoints. Kingdoms of Amalur was clearly designed to be an MMO, but got kicked out as a single-player game. Skyrim was designed from the beginning to be a single-player game.

You can see this in every tiny little aspect of both:

Amalur generally has simple if not trivial terrain design, with lots of mobs in relatively wide open areas; perfect for a group of friends to go through without getting tangled up in each other, but boring when you’re just running through on your own. Skyrim is a lot more intricate, with narrow corridors and areas you need to think about in order to get to.

There’s a few hidden areas in the overworld and side paths in dungeons, but not many. I don’t remember running across any dungeon puzzles at all, and IIRC the game doesn’t even take into account the possibility of a player going into a dungeon before getting the quest for it. I mean yeah Skyrim’s puzzles were pretty stupid, but at least they tried; most dungeons had some area where you have to interact with the environment to proceed, and you can go through Mzinchaleft and grab Grimsever without ever talking to Mjoll the Lioness.

In Amalur, the world itself is fairly bland; there aren’t those little touches that make it seem like people live in the world, the NPCs seem like they’re just kind there as prop dressings for the player to interact with. For instance, random encounters in Amalur are almost always just standing around waiting for you to show up in order to fight; in Skyrim, a random encounter can be anything from a traveling missionary of some sort, to a merchant caravan, to thugs hired because there’s a bounty on your head.

Basically, Amalur wasn’t written like a massive single-player game. It was written like a massive multi-player game, where the world flaws are smoothed over by your companions.

• SeismicRend says:

It’s my understanding that 38 Studios was working on a WoW-inspired MMO from the start. They needed an influx of cash to fuel the development efforts of a large scale MMO and so they bought Big Huge Games and the single player project they were working on. They incorporated the story setting of Kingdoms of Amalur into the single player game and released it as a primer to the MMO.

The plan failed when KOA:Reckoning didn’t make enough cash (EA came out ahead) for 38 Studios to continue to fund the full scale MMO development and the state of Rhode Island began asking questions about their loan.

Source: Fires of Heaven forums and Day[9] interviews with Schilling, Rolston, McFarlane, and Salvatore.

• Kestilla says:

I knew something was wrong the minute I started playing. It definitely felt like MMO, which is a bad, bad thing.

• fish99 says:

The combat doesn’t feel like an MMO, it feels like an action game. The combat is tight and has impact, whereas in an MMO it feels like you’re just standing somewhere near an enemy waving your sword in their generation direction watching some bars go down. Even in Guild Wars 2 you can’t feel your attacks connecting, whereas you can in Amalur. You also have to dodge incoming attacks, and time your attacks/abilities.

Also it’s fully voiced, so the questing doesn’t feel like Wow and it has an overarching story.

Honestly if it felt like an MMO I wouldn’t have kept playing it.

• Tacroy says:

The combat was excellent, the world was just too… pallid, I guess.

• Tei says:

I tried to make all the side quests, becaused I liked the game a lot, but that make me like the game less. Probably is a more fun game if you avoid most side quests.

• PopeRatzo says:

That “areas you need to think about in order to get to” is one of the most underrated elements of good game design.

That, and light and space. Too many “open world” games still feel like you’re basically on a film set. The light doesn’t look or feel like real light. The space doesn’t look or feel or act like real space. I see it especially in bright daylight. In a well-designed open world, the sky should not feel like it’s a ceiling.

The first game I ever noticed that did the space and light thing right was (believe it or not) Burnout Paradise. It actually looked like you were outside on a sunny day. When you can remove the claustrophobic sensation of being on a hollywood set instead of the open air, I believe it frees a part of the mind that would normally have to work to hold on to the sensation of reality.

Current games that do a great job of this are Far Cry 3 and…

• paddymaxson says:

If you rush the main plot it’s a nice self contained thing that works quite well!

I agree with you on the editor thing though, the side quests tended to be vast but the actual objective was generally completed in the same way for most quests: go into a dungeon or go on a big adventure to kill shit.

The game could possibly have been better with a bit less talk, a bit more action and a series of supporting novels, because goodness knows, some NPCs had novellas of dialogue.

I have a huge amount of love for the game, but towards the end I gave up doing side quests as I’d been at it for about 50 hours and was still finding completely optional towns that had dozens of things to do.

A more refined sequel would have been awesome. They were working on a PC only patch to fix the bad camera/add a bonus difficulty but that got nixed, sadly :(

• fish99 says:

As someone who did beat it – ALL of it – I’d say I have a good perspective on how much filler the game has, and sure there’s a dip around the 60-70% mark, but if you push through it really picks up again, especially once you cross to the other continent.

I enjoyed the whole game though, including the side quests. It’s a very pretty game, it has excellent music, a ton of content, and fun gameplay. I even enjoyed the world and lore. Given that most people who criticized it played very little of it, or just the demo, I consider myself better equipped to give a balanced opinion of the game, since I finished it, and it’s well worth playing IMO.

• Urthman says:

Is there any way to play Kingdoms of Amalur without installing Origin?

• Arkh says:

I ask myself that question for every Steam exclusive game. And the answer is no. Not legally, anyway.

jrodman says:

Are there illegal ways to just rip out the origin? I’d be okay with that.

If the illegal method involves just getting it from a completely different source… eh, I’m not that motivated for starters.

• Arkh says:

If you have the knowledge, yes. But I don’t suppose you know how to crack a game, so yes, you would need to get if from a completely different source.

Yes, it sucks.

• nu1mlock says:

There is a way to get rid of Origin from (at least some) legally bought games;

Note that this does ONLY work for legit games and they will have to be installed and run once.

• yogibbear says:

Is it region locked?? I can’t see the purchase button even after logging in!

Thermal Ions says:

I believe so. I also don’t have a buy button from Australia, and seem to recall that GMG only had rights to distribute EA games in the UK (a limitation inherited from their supplier). It was unclear to me from reading their explanation at the time if they were aware of the limitation or not back when they were effectively distributing outside the UK (as a result of having no regional identification as part of their storefront).

• iridescence says:

Can’t buy it on sale in Canada or the US. Fuck you too, EA.

• SeismicRend says:

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Honestly, I don’t know why action-adventure games tack on RPG elements like leveling, equipment stats, skill levels, etc. It creates a plethora of balance issues unless carefully managed. Kingdoms of Amalur is especially guilty of this as many players lose interest in the game halfway through as the numbers get out of sync. The ‘Street Fighter’ combo complexity of the combat is lost when high stats lets you spam a single attack with boring efficiency. With a little moderation, you can get a lot more enjoyment out of the game’s combat depth.

I would recommend avoiding the crafting and reckoning elements if you would like the game to be remotely engaging. Like Skyrim, crafting makes you overpowered to the point of invincibility and makes loot rewards irrelevant.

While the reckoning activation is cool, it makes bosses trivial. I would recommend not using it for boss fights.

Potions are another element that don’t mesh well either. I recommend getting HP regen on your gear to keep you topped off between fights and avoid spamming HP pots as a crutch.

It also helps to be mindful of how the level scaling works in the game. The level of the zone is set based on when you first enter an area so avoid entering a new zone unless you intend on exploring and questing in it. If you come back to it later at a higher level, it’ll be irrelevant.

Finally, the rogue level 1 fan of knives ability (I don’t recall the exact name) is extremely broken because every knife in the attack can hit large targets at once, one-shotting them. Don’t put more than one point into it.

• aliksy says:

You’ve got some smart words, here.

I guess they put them in because people like that sort of thing, even with the problems it causes. People like their clearly defined progress.

Personally i’d be happier without the bullshit leveling. It’s often a lot of filler anyway.

• tetracycloide says:

I tend to prefer playing games of that type as if they’re action adventure games with especially elaborate character creation. Come up with a build I like for the RPG stuff then use the console or other mods to create that character at the start. If a game has level scaling built in, especially for loot rewards, that’s my preferred method. Can’t think of a single bethesda game that wasn’t more interesting this way since there games don’t really have any kind of designed progression to the gameplay. It’s been true for many of the Bioware and obsidian Action RPGs too.

• Douglas_Taylor says:

just as Lillian replied I am blown away that a mom able to profit $9502 in a few weeks on the internet. have you read this page… http://tiny.cc/get-cash

2. Axyl says:

Postal 3 is not worth buying, even for only £3. Avoid.

• AgentBJ09 says:

I’d buy it. I’ve played Postal 1and 2 for a while. I won’t however because it requires Steam to work, and uses Starforce DRM. Once those things change, I’ll grab it.

• Triplanetary says:

Your priorities are kind of backwards, friend.

• AgentBJ09 says:

Because I value my choices in how to attain my games? Or because I really think about what secondary kinds of software I have to deal with versus a simple install and play?

• tellytoy says:

I think he means that you should be prioritising good games over good distribution methods.

• Tukuturi says:

You might want to look at some videos or reviews. I thought Postal 2 was fun , but Postal 3 is probably one of the worst games ever made. I’d sooner buy Dungeon Lords.

• AgentBJ09 says:

I have since it came out. Thing is, just like DNF, a lot of reviews give me the impression the reviewers didn’t want to like the game. Versus docking points for legitimate reasons; the game engine not being one among them to me.

And, if I said I won’t buy it because it will always require Steam…why did you try and tell me the game was bad?

• SkittleDiddler says:

Agreed. I bought it for the sale price yesterday, and it’s horrible. It uses the aging Source engine, the combat and gameplay mechanics are awkward, there’s no freeplay within the structured mission-based areas, and the social commentary is full of dated stereotypes.

Huffing catnip spray is pretty cool though.

3. Ansob says:

The things to keep in mind with Conviction are that:

1) the basic SP campaign isn’t so much Splinter Cell as it is the best game of the Bourne films you’ll ever get. There’s a lot of sneaking, but it’s more sneaking into a position where you can bump people off with the cool mark and execute system than it is about ghosting.

2) the basic SP campaign is a little short, but it’s actually only 2/5ths of the game. The full game is bloody huge. There’s an entire separate co-op campaign and a challenge mode which is a lot closer to traditional SC.

3) it’s really fun and for half to a third of the price of a pint you should definitely buy it.

• DrGonzo says:

Another thing to note is, if you liked the originals its also quite likely that you’ll hate Conviction. I did, it is now a cover based shooter. So avoid if you are looking for some Splinter Cell ness.

• woodsey says:

It’s a decent Bourne game, you’re right. So if you’re in the mood to go on a bit of a warpath then it’s good to go. And the co-op campaign is riotous amounts of fun, but their matchmaking has been screwed since Day 1 – I’ve only ever had one playthrough of it.

It’s not a Splinter Cell game, though. Although I must say that the upcoming Blacklist actually looks rather promising in that regard.

4. Low Life says:

Seeing a 3-year-old AAA game being sold for 1/20 of its original retail price is a bit silly.

Also, 20 euros for the new Tomb Raider? Tempting, but it’s still a preorder, with no info on the PC port quality.. And apparently there won’t even be a review version for the PC before release*. Decisions, decisions!

*Source: https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/307709974983880704

Edit: I refreshed the Tomb Raider page and the deal seems to be gone, with the price being the original 85 R$ (~31€ or £28.50). Guess someone at Squenix found it?

• evertju says:

The deal is over on nuuven It’s been there for the entire past month. You can try here http://www.fullgames.com.br/index.asp with this coupon FG-PRE-TOMB for more 10% off

Vandelay says:

I’ve been tempted to pick it up from GreenManGaming, as it was only about £21 after their pre-order discount and the 20% off code. I was even more tempted when good reviews started coming in. However, the lack of PC reviews (what I really mean is RPS review,) and the high scoring but less then thrilled Eurogamer review put me off.

• The Random One says:

I usually don’t preorder, but when I do, it’s because they gave me a big fat discount. If they want me to put money for their game before reviews are out then they’d better let me pay less for it, not pay more for a bunch of crap that I don’t know if I’ll like because I haven’t played the bloody game yet.

Still wiser to not preorder at all.

• Ross Angus says:

The last Tomb Raider game I pre-ordered was The Angel of Darkness. Still got the shrink-wrapped bonus DVD.

• bargain chicken says:

The new Tomb Raider for 20 dollars is crazy cheap saw it for £25 yesterday on the UK deal sites bargain.

5. Xercies says:

£15 for all the Sonic Games now that is very tempting even though i have generations and Sonic Adventure

6. derella says:

Well, I almost bought Amalur. £4 seemed like a good deal, but sadly if you are in North America it is $29.99($24.99 with that code). I’m patient enough to wait.

Llewyn says:

Might be worth looking on Gamersgate, as they also currently have it at £5 in the UK (same price as GMG without GMG’s 20% off code).

If they’re not discounting it for US customers either then I suspect the rights holder has only authorised a sale for a particular region. Think we’ve seen similar things the other way around for Amalur in the past.

Martel says:

$30 there as well. Too bad, wanted to take a stab at this one, but not for $25-30

• Archonsod says:

The wonderful thing about Gamersgate is that it has absolutely no idea if you’re behind a proxy.

Llewyn says:

I suspect they genuinely don’t care. The impression I’ve had in the past is that they’d prefer to do completely single-region pricing a la GOG but are required not to by some of their publisher contracts; they have to put the restrictions in place but not to try to actively prevent you circumventing them.

• aliksy says:

Yeah, I was thinking of getting it for that price, but it’s $30 in the US.
      Also it says it needs Origin. Does that mean it needs the client installed? Because I’d rather not do that.

Llewyn says:

I believe the Steam version is the only one which doesn’t require the Origin client. And the Steam version is never discounted to the sort of levels where I’d be interested in giving Amalur another shot.

• Jumwa says:

Correct. It boots up Origin for other versions for updates and cloud saving. The steam version is also double the price–baseline–of other websites versions. $60 vs. 30. And they’ve only had it on sale once.

I checked all the sites and it seems to be very definitely UK only. Fortunately a friend in the London gifted me a copy!

After playing it I’ve found it to be definitely better than the demo indicated. Though my opinion from the demo did not change in this regard: why is this game compared to Skyrim so much when the two are so very different? It’s far more comparable to a slightly more open world version of Fable. The game is so Fable it hurts. Which isn’t a bad thing, not in the slightest.

Also the lore in this game is just so bad, and given to you in such a confusing manner. The dialogue and voice acting aren’t, it’s just all this gobbledegook about the fae and the numerous version and factions of them that the NPCs themselves are confused about (quite literally) that totally throws you from the start.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Just to mention that beyond the initial download, install, and registration with Origin on first run of the game, you can subsequently play Amalur in offline mode with local saves.

No further internet access or daft in-game EA login required (in my experience so far after several hours exceedingly fun play).

• onomatomania says:

I purchased Amalur for $10 from Origin at the end of January. They’ll likely host another sale in the future, so if you’re willing to purchase directly from EA, you can use a third-party site like Cheapshark to send you a price drop notification.

(For the record, I thought Amalur was… competent, I suppose, but nothing worth fussing over. I found the art to be excellent and kept playing to see the rest of the environments. Nothing else much grabbed me – I had hopes for the Fae’s existence as living stories, but there was little depth there, unfortunately. Still, there is nothing objectionable anywhere in the game – no horrid lines of dialogue, relatively little grinding, generally decent combat. It’s a well-executed, uninspired, thoroughly competent RPG that you won’t remember five years on.

LTK says:

I hear there are some places that Nuuvem (Tomb Raider deal) won’t allow purchases from. Has anyone from the Netherlands bought from them?

• Ross Angus says:

I can’t answer your question, but are we related? We look so similar.

8. Shakes999 says:

I just want to know where I can pick up “Hobo Tycoon”

emertonom says:

Oh, don’t give them your money. It’s just a cheap knock-off of Hooverville.

9. tobecooper says:

Get Games Go has also some other nice games in various promos – Just Cause 2, Condemned, the Mega Drive Series thingy. I’m holding my virtual wallet in a spiked cage with lava pits around it, but it’s getting difficult. I don’t think I can say no to Mark of the Ninja anymore. This game wants me.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Would you happen to know if Mark of the Ninja is discounted anywhere else besides Steam? I really really want to pick that one up, but I refuse to buy directly from Valve anymore.

• tobecooper says:

I’ve search far and wide, but couldn’t find it anywhere else.
        So, unless you have an X-Box, there doesn’t seem to be any other way. (And I think there’s no discount on XBLA)

I’d love to get the game straight the devs or from the Humble Store, but they aren’t even there.
        A pity.

10. suibhne says:

The Amalur deal seems to be UK-only – it’s still $30 on the US site. GMG’s poor regionalization continues to frustrate. (That is, you visit their site for the deal, and it takes you to a weird shadow page that duplicates the UK listing, including the “75% off” advertisement, but lacking a “Buy” button; it doesn’t take you to the US listing, where you could actually choose to purchase the game [sans sale price, of course]. Bizarre, counterintuitive, and still a problem after more than a year.)

Also fwiw, the USD equivalent of that Tomb Raider deal is more like $42, not $25, so it’s really no deal at all for US audiences. (But maybe the price has just plain gone up, because the GBP equivalent currently looks like 28 pounds, not 16-ish as you list.)

• Triplanetary says:

No, the coupon code works on the US site, too, but it only knocks the price down to $24, so apparently the discount is a lot better for UK users. Makes me sad. I got excited for a minute there.

• suibhne says:

I think the issue is that the coupon applies on top of the “75% off” already given on the UK site. There’s no similar discount on the US site.

• whoCares says:

In Deutschland zhe deal works fine. Just bought it for fünf euros and its a lot of Spass!

11. Choca says:

Mark of the Ninja is already a steal at full price but it is a must buy at five bucks.

Best infiltration/action game of 2012.

• field_studies says:

Yep! I found the first hour frustrating… slightly odd controls (sort of in the Assassin’s Creed vein… a somewhat untraditional application of action buttons) had me botching things repeatedly, not being able to execute the plan I had in my head. But eventually things clicked, and the rest was a blast. Ended far too quickly though–I’d jump at some DLC.

• mispelledyouth says:

I’d rather lower myself from the ceiling onto some DLC to silently garotte it before hiding it in an air vent for bonus points.

Each to their own.

FriendlyFire says:

I’m well aware of the many gripes with the game, but still… Has anyone heard of a good deal on SimCIty, either as a preorder or shortly after release? My rational mind tells me to wait a few months, but my “other” mind tells me I want the game anyway.

GMG usually has a 30% off on big games, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. Best I could see is Origin’s own $20 off another purchase, which is… good, assuming you have a game you want to buy before March 18 among a currently unavailable list of “eligible titles”. In other words, it’s probably a shitty deal beyond appearances, which makes me hope there’s a better alternative elsewhere.

As a further bonus, I’m in Canada, where Amazon’s gift card offer doesn’t apply. Wonderful!

• hemmingjay says:

It seems that GMG is the best deal on the digital download version with the $10 credit or $7 cash back offer. The amazon deal is for the physical shipped dvd version only, and not the download one. Origin’s deal of $20 off only applies to a limited selection of mostly old and undesirable games. I went with GMG on this one and obviously will apply that credit to my next purchase from them on what will hopefully also be discounted 30%.

Good luck!

• Windward says:

I was going to buy the Amazon one… Does Origin give you a code a’la Steamworks, or is a physical copy always a physical copy? If the latter, maaaan, one more reason not to use it.

13. sbs says:

The Last Remnant had the most obnoxious fighting system I have ever seen.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Nope. Had a fun and pretty strategic fighting system that’s just very different than you’d expect from a game of its type, and thus (completely understandably) easily misunderstood.

• Casimir Effect says:

Funny, as it has one of the best fighting systems I have ever played.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I had no real issues with the fighting system, but if there were any truth in advertising the game would be called The Last Remnant: Neverending Loading Screen Adventure. There’s a bloody loading screen for virtually everything in the game.

• XisLoose says:

Takes a while until it picks up, but I really liked the fighting as well.
      It’s somewhat boring when you don’t have a lot of options, I’ll admit.

14. malkav11 says:

Conviction is one of the few originally always-on DRMed Ubigames that did get that scaled down to just having to use uPlay the entire time with an offline mode technically available but probably not activateable when you’re actually offline because who’d want that, right? So not a lot better, really. But I would never, ever recommend buying an always-on DRMed game, because it almost certainly will fuck over your game experience at some point, whereas most DRM schemes probably won’t affect the average gamer and are just worth protesting because of their ridiculously ineffective nature, violation of consumer rights, and tendency to treat legitimate customers as criminals while the criminals never have to deal with them. And the latter can probably be ignored for a price under $5. I know I can.

• KenTWOu says:

It’s technically available and activateable when you’re actually offline.

15. hlm2 says:

Just to say, Tomb Raider is £20 here……and I *think* it’s a physical copy….

16. The Random One says:

Well, I’ll try signing up the Get Games Go to get Sonic All Stars Racing. Last time I tried signing up to a seller that had a good deal on Bargain Bucket I regretted within the hour and couldn’t even complete my purchase, so here’s hoping I have better luck this time.

I don’t know why people have such difficulty understanding why Sonic drives a car. He runs fast, but you wouldn’t expect him to keep up with people driving cars, would you? I mean, just because you can run so fast you can run loops it doesn’t mean you can outrun a machine.

• Gargenville says:

Nah it’s canon that Sonic is literally capable of breaking the sound barrier on foot. Except when the designers think it’d be cool to have him chased by a truck in which case he’s just fast enough to break the truck-rolling-down-a-hill barrier.

For All Stars Racing the official line is he’s in a car as a handicap.

Also anyone unfortunate enough to be familiar with Sonic 2006’s mach speed stages can attest that the blue varmint has basically no control over where he’s going whatsoever at those speeds.

17. fish99 says:

Kingdoms of Amalur is well worth it for that price IMO.

18. Didero says:

Wow, The Cave got discounted already? I understand games get cheaper over time, but this seems pretty quick for such a hefty discount.

Also, kinda tempted by that Pixelry game. I know it’s incredibly cheap, but enough of those small impulse purchases really add up over time, especially on a small budget. Also, from their website, it seems the devs abandoned the game for a year, only to pick it up again now. I wouldn’t want that to happen again.
    Does anybody have any experience with the game?

19. SuperNashwanPower says:

Is anyone else running that Amalur deal? For £4 its great but I refuse to use GMG no matter how good their deals are.

20. somnolentsurfer says:

It’s not a fabulous deal, but Starcraft 2 is 50% off, which doesn’t happen often…

21. KDR_11k says:

I got Kane & Lynch 2 for 1.87€ from Gamersgate (actually used blue coins but whatever).

22. checkthisout says:

You forgot about Natural Selection 2!
    They just released a big, free, gorgeous Add-On Pack and they are also 50% off.
    Grab it! It’s so good, I’ve spent well over 600hours with it now.
    Here the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=AB-gmyOvUig

23. MrLebanon says:

Curious what RPS people think of the bundle with Guns of Icarus Online… it seems well liked by those who play it (metacritic and steam forums seem to say so)

any experiences here? Also I have no idea what any of the other games in that bundle are

24. randomgamer342 says:

I was thinking of getting kingdoms of amalur, but i’ve given up on buying anything on origin after recent events with it(slowing down my boot time with 5 minutes on a harddrive, which is more than a double, and it’s now led to me having to reformat my entire SSD system after blackscreening 49/50 times i tried to play crysis 3)

Is there a way to get it outside of origin?

• SkittleDiddler says:

As noted above, the Steam version is the only one that doesn’t use Origin.

25. geldonyetich says:

I just knew if I waited for a few days there would be a Kingdoms of Amalur sale, but I had been bewitched by what I saw in the demo and wanted it ASAP.

Oh well, at least I got it one-DLC-off on GoGamer a few days ago… and perhaps the higher price paid helped to pay back the debt to Rhode Island.

26. capntao says:

Anybody know if Beyond Good and Evil is EU or UK only? It doesn’t have a buy button in the US.

Darn tootin shame since right now I’m trapped on an archaic laptop and so i’m running through all the games i by all rights should have already played.

A bit off topic, but any suggestions for older PC games I need to try? About to get System Shock, looking for anything that’ll run on a Win 7 HP EliteBook 2730p
    (Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD)

Currently running GTA: Vice City somewhat smoothly at lower resolutions.

Thanks!