Never Forget: You Can Play Games With RPS Folk

By Jim Rossignol on March 4th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

There RPS readers are many, in their millions, in fact. Some of that mighty legion has organised itself into teams of beautiful and intelligent competitors in the world of electronic ludic fancies. Why who could ignore the dashing teams of purple, and other colours, who frequent Planetside 2? What citizen of the Earth could doubt the talent and commitment of RPS’ Arma 2 platoons? Who but the Frozen Synapse League would have had the incredible tenacity to reach their 18th season? (Perhaps the Blood Bowlers?) Other glowing recommendations must be attached to the DOTA2 chums, the Eve corporation, and the Battlefield 3 Platoon.

These people are splendid paragons. Hail them. Join them.

__________________

« | »

1. Alexander says:

Any RPS BF3 platoon that’s not full?

2. scorcher24 says:

Why would I want that? A bunch of entitled people that despise any modern game and would probably give me shit all the time if I admit that I play certain games. Hell no.

3. zachforrest says:

Do any RPSers do any boardgaming in london? I’ve managed to rope in my girlfriend but my usual mates are a) to few and b) too unimaginative to play boardgames

• Choca says:

Yeah I wished I had more boardgames/RPG fans around too, I’m trying to get something going on for Table Top Day (it’s a thing, check it out) next month but can’t really find enough people to make it interesting.

• iucounu says:

I live in London, dabble in boardgames and have the same problem…

• One Pigeon says:

I also live in London and have this problem (we have a group right here?)

I recently purchased Mage Knight and have only managed a few singleplayer games as it’s hard to find likeminded folks amongst most of my friends.

• Ross says:

I would highly recommend the meetup group London on Board: http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/

• Punchbowled says:

I’ve been designing a videogaming-themed board game of the sarcastic worker-placement + exciting dice business variety for the last wee while and hope to have a nice prototype working for the summer. The constituency for this game is: people who like boardgames and videogames. So, you know. I’m glad you guys exist.

4. rockman29 says:

Was disappointed with the DOTA2 crowd on here… either too chummy with their own, or not online enough to play a game with. Too hard to contact if I have to use a third party app just to keep in touch, very disappointed.

• deadly.by.design says:

I’m part of the group and have posted in the thread, but I admit to never having played a game with anybody. That might be partly due to only recently trying games that weren’t co-op bot matches.

Plus, a lot of the UK/Euro folks won’t be awake to join me in a game when I’m playing before bed on the U.S. east coast. DotA2 is also more difficult than the Tribes: Ascend group I was in, since it requires a solid 30-60 min time commitment for a full game.

• Ruffian says:

I’m on the east coast as well fellers – same issue – I’m on a lot pretty late as well. Nick’s “Adroc” (Bornruffian1 if for some reason that doesn’t work) on Steam. Add me up if you feel like it, pretty much always down for a friendly game with players that aren’t going to burn my eyes out flaming. ; )

• gromit says:

Yeah you kind of have to work for it in mumble to get a game going but people are friendly and open to new comers. Just join a channel and bother them, that’s what I did. I found that everyone just ignores the RPS channel on the client.

5. Thurgret says:

Just recently joined the Planetside 2 Vanu outfit. Wonderful bunch (though someone’s going to start pulling their hair out if I die in the middle of a road again).

6. mrmalodor says:

I didn’t know RPS folk play games.

• Alexander says:

They enjoy chess in the park, golf, nascar races and the like. Some of them have been known to hang with Tony Hawk.

7. Sparkasaurusmex says:

I think the internet’s oceans are still there when it comes to playing online games with people. At least with my connection I can’t usually join with RPSers in England without horrible latency. And it seems most of these groups are in England? I really like that for most purposes, but not when it comes to playing online.
    Someone make NA knock offs of the PS2 and NS2 groups! I would do it but I’m even too lazy to type the last word of this .

• Stochastic says:

Yes, sadly I can’t simultaneously live in the UK and the US east coast.

It’s moments like these when I really wish ansibles existed.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

There isn’t some little island in the middle of the Atlantic we can put a server farm on?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

BTW I go by Sparkasaurusmex on Steam, also. FYI for North Americans that want more friends with decent pings.

• Berzee says:

I can confirm that there are several, because I have played Portugal in EU3.

• MrLebanon says:

I’d be interested in some rock paper skulk NA action

• felisc says:

What kind of ping do you get when connecting to europe ?
      We play NS2 through a german server… I guess if you’re living on the eastest side of the eastern east coast that could work ?

• Gap Gen says:

We’ve also had people in Australia get up at 4am to play Scourge of War with us Colonel Fremantles. Clocks are evil.

• mickygor says:

There’s actually an NA outfit for Vanu on PS2. Details are in this thread.

8. tikey says:

Why is the solium infernum board always ignored in these posts?

It makes me a sad panda :(

9. RobinOttens says:

Not that it’s any use getting together with fellow RPS visitors, what with the ‘friend challenge’ mode being temporarily offline. But anyone here playing The Banner Saga: Factions? I haven’t played an online game seriously for years, but the Banner Saga has got it’s hooks in me somehow.

• Hanban says:

Yeah! It’s quite lovely isn’t it?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Indeed. Eventually it will have friends working. And hopefully other features for community play. Custom tournaments and such.

• RobinOttens says:

Yep, I can’t stop playing it! The chess-like focus on positioning and the amount of depth they manage to squeeze out of some very basic systems is really cool. Makes it feel different from stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics or Civ or something. And it helps that matches last only about 20 minutes. I wish they had the friend stuff working so I could play against my, erm… friends.

10. Timofee says:

Don’t forget the Guild Wars 2 collective, which is still going strong. Feel free to join us for exciting new guild missions.

• Vlupius says:

I’m trying really hard not to forget the Guild Wars 2 Collective, but the forum registration is going rather slow so I can’t introduce myself :p

11. slerbal says:

It seems like no one is able to play Arma2 at the moment. From what I can tell the Gamespy multiplayer server browser has been turned off/broken by Glu/IGN (whomever was controlling it).

There are a rapidly increasing number of posts on Steam and the BIS forums about it.

It makes me a sad panda :(

Hopefully they will get it fixed / implement an alternative soon though this just reaffirms that the move to steamworks (at least for MP connectivity) for Arma3 is a good move.

12. PopeRatzo says:

The Planetside 2 Vanu bunch are great. I’m terrible at the game, and nobody has ridiculed me and several have patiently helped me out. There’s great fun going on there.

I’ve been getting an article ready for the publisher, so I haven’t been on much lately, but this post has reminded me to check in with the giraffes tomorrow. (WaxwingSlain here).

If I could just more reliably discern the enemy, I’d be a lot better at the game, I think. But for now, it’s enough that I can run around healing and resurrecting people and getting in an occasional kill (even won a medal!). I’ve avoided multiplayer games all these years (except for Burnout Paradise and Eve) but the RPS Planetside 2 group has convinced me to give online gaming another chance.

13. Ayam says:

A 2 minute recruitment video/80s action movie trailer for the NC side of Planetside 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSGdpmrswsg Join us, we fight for the F word: Freedom!

14. ColOfNature says:

Fame at last! The Frozen Synapse League’s 18th Season has just started. We hold one each month. Say hello in the thread and I’ll PM you before the next one starts.

15. Gurrah says:

How dare you forget to tell people about the lovely laser-toting folks out there playing Mechwarrior Online together – every Wednesday evening 9:30 GMT and whenever we’re in the mood. Come join us on Mumble, we don’t bite but we might accidentally burn a hole in your back-armour.

16. MrUnimport says:

Uh

Is it just me or are those gentlemen both playing chess with the same colour of piece?

• cjlr says:

Nah, that’s just ’cause it’s a black and white photo.

• Llewyn says:

For those of you watching in black and white the brown ball is the one next to the blue.

When I was younger red/brown v black chess sets were fairly common. I assume now it dates from wooden sets being stained rather than painted, but I seem to remember even newspaper chess columns showing red-black layouts.

• Arglebargle says:

I was thinking the same thing! Must be really tough to figure out your next move.

Though I remember in my chess playing days that a buddy and I went 18 moves in without a chess set or any other reference. We eventually had to go and set it up in position.

17. felisc says:

Thanks to Jim and Adam mentioning our NS2 group lately, we got quite a lot of newcomers during our last sunday session. Great fun was had, hands were cyber-shaken and friendly swears were exchanged.

18. Bullitt says:

RPS has an arma2 group? I will have to check this out. Thank you for this post Mr Rossignol

• slerbal says:

FolkArps (the RPS arma 2 group) is really good and highly recommended – I’ve been part of some awesome battles with them. They are a very friendly and helpful group and welcoming to newbies too.

19. NetsukeMonkey says:

I’ve always wanted to find someone to play co-op Men of War Assault Squad. Would anyone be interested? – if so hit me up on steam (Netsukemonkey).

20. gnodab says:

What ever happened to the Tribes Group RockPaperShazbot?
    I stopped playing for a while after the Brute Update and now everyone seems to have disappeared.
    I can’t find the server anymore and there are so many new maps. It is really hard to get back into the game…

• felisc says:

the game simply stopped working for me since around an update in october. it makes me very sad.

• Rian Snuff says:

If you use an AMD card, uninstall the Physx driver.
        If you installed it not on the default C drive, don’t do that. It confuses the silly launcher.

Just, two things that took me two days to figure out recently.
        The game runs much smoother now I find and theres still tons playing it thankfully.

21. eclipse mattaru says:

I’m perplexed at the lack of a Dark Souls social subforum. Or at my failure to use the forum search thing, maybe.

22. sasayan says:

There’s also a fairly regular group of people playing Mechwarrior Online. I play during both EU and NA hours, feel free to add me (torabayashi) to your friends list.

23. brulleks says:

Are there any RPS folks that still play Chivalry? As buggy and unbalanced as it can be at times, it’s the one online multiplayer game that’s held my attention beyond the opening few hours of play recently. You just have to cope with the people who want to vote someone off a server when one poorly judged blow ends in a teamkill, players who don’t learn from their mistakes and still rush into the midst of a melee fight slashing around like enraged bulls and occasional (sigh) casual racism/bigotry in the name of trolling.

Yeah, ok, I can see why you might not be – but slash, chop, limbs flying! It’s fun! And would be more fun with tolerant, mature players like your good selves.

24. Leonard Hatred says:

Is the Eve corporation even still going?

They turned up in Syndicate again a few months ago, but apparently nobody’s seen them since.

25. Poppis says: