The Showdown Effect Shows Takedowns, Effects

By Jim Rossignol on March 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Arrowhead and Paradox are dabbling in the absurd once again with their “2.5D” shooter, The Showdown Effect, which is destined to be released quite soon. The latest trailer shows numerous hi-jinks. Paradox claims that the trailer’s “Intricate Bullet Ballet Forever Answers Games-as-Art Debate”.

Yeeees. The game can be pre-ordered, with amusing bonuses, over here. Folks who pre-order will find themselves injected immediately into the on-going beta.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SuperNashwanPower says:

ONE ‘ART’, PLEASE

2. The Dark One says:

Pretty, but this song is forever associated in my brain with space sims.

3. Koojav says:

I’ve played around 25 hours of beta and can say that this game is fun exactly same way Magicka was. With random people it’s nice, there’s lot of action, some skill required but when you get to play with your real life friends it’s amazing. The enjoyment of halabarding your mate to death is astonishing.

• MrLebanon says:

100% worth every penny. Nothing get’s your blood pumping like the final showdown battle between you and a skilled opponent.

4. RealoFoxtrot says:

Uhm.. Sorry for corrections, but The Showdown Effect is in Early Access.

It technically is finished, but wont be fully released until Tomorrow, officially. Early Access is meant to be an incentive for Deluxe Edition.

However, due to… maybe difficulties in creating a upgrade-To-Deluxe, they have allowed anyone to play Early Access who preorders

• HothMonster says:

Well they have been patching it once or twice a week for at least the last month so it certainly seems like a beta.

5. Radiant says:

Yo that looked lovely.

6. Radiant says:

I STILL don’t know how this is played.

Is it a controller? Mouse?
    Can I play it split screen on one machine?

7. stiffkittin says:

Some quite nice effects there and the animations go a long way to give weight to characters and action. Weird artstyle though. Kind of incongruous to the 80’s action flick theme.

8. deadly.by.design says:

I absolutely loved Magicka, but I am not in a particular hurry to buy this. Not yet, at least. We’ll see how I feel after reading impressions. (or if they drop a demo … the Magicka demo is what sold me)

9. Cronstintein says:

I’ve been in the beta for a couple weeks now. It’s a fairly fun but only in short sprints. Don’t expect it to engross you for hours on end. It is nice for a 30min romp of actiony fun though, when the mood strikes.

Hopefully enough people buy it to keep constant servers running, that’s a worry I have about small projects that require multiplayer.

The beta also had quite a few bugs, I sincerely hope those have been ironed out prior to release, though paradox’s track record leads me to believe otherwise…

For anyone who loves silly Gov. Arnold quotes from the last 20 years — the laughs I got from his soundbytes alone was worth the price of admission.

EDIT: @Radiant– It’s played with keyboard and mouse. The guns only hit if your reticule is actually ON the opponent, so some precision is required.

• TODD says:

I’M JUST A REGULAH GUY

WHY AHE YOU DEWING THIS? I’M JUST A KINDAHGAHTEN TEACHAH

10. Chris says:

The problem with Paradox published third party games is that there is a good chance the title is going to be borked beyond patching., EG, Arctic Warfare and Impire.

• TODD says:

It would be one thing to give an unsupported opinion like this if no one had access to hard facts about the game and there wasn’t a public beta. At this point, however, thousands of people have had early access to the game, including me, and are reporting few to zero bugs. After 18 hours played in the beta/early access, I haven’t encountered a single one.

It’s a brilliantly executed, fast-paced, high-skill-cap competitive multiplayer game with far deeper mechanics than I would have credited to a 2D platformer — like a more complex Super Smash Bros with bigger maps and more creative game modes. My favorite mode is definitely “Expendables,” which is a 4v4 match with the normal hero characters against anonymous mooks with random basic weapons and very low health. The mooks respawn instantly, while the heroes’ spawn timer is increased every time one of them dies. The goal, therefore, is for the mooks to kill all the heroes at once. The team that slaughters the most hapless henchmen when they get their turn as 80s action heroes wins! It’s all amazing fun, a really tightly designed experience.

edit: well, I just fell out of the map. But still, very few bugs!