Humble Android 5 Also On PC, With Added Hexagons

By Alec Meer on March 5th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Here’s a clever idea: instead of paying £30 for a game, or getting it for free then buying lots of little extra bits, or helping to fund it pre-release, what about paying what you want for it? For instance, as part of a bundle of other games? Next big thing, you mark my words.

Team Humble’s just gone live with its first ever experiment using this payment model. For some reason they’ve put a ’5′ in the title, but I’m pretty sure that refers to how many cups of tea they drank while putting it together. They’ve also put ‘Android’ in the title, even though the games are all available on PC too. Silly-billies! Read on to find out the contents of this bundle – oddly, the most famous name in there is one of the optional bonuses rather than at its core.

I’ve put in links to any coverage we’ve had on these previously, if you can bear it.

Beat Hazard Ultra, by Cold Beam Games – a musicky shmup
Dynamite Jack by Hassey Enteprises – a Bomberman-y action adventure
Solar 2 by Murudia – a sandbox space-tinkering thingy
NightSky HD by Nicalis- physicsy platformer

If you pay more than the average price, you get the godly/ungodly Super Hexagon and tower defense RPG Dungeon Defenders too. The games are available on Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux, and you can spit your donation between devs, organisers and charities. It’s all over here.

Here’s a slightly odd trailer for the bundle:

Guy sounds a bit drunk? Nothing wrong with that, I’m just jealous. I’d love to be drunk right now.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I’d love to be drunk too, but I have given up booze and/or am operating heavy machinery (well, my aged Mac Pro is quite heavy). I will have to settle for being drunk on love slash ignorance instead.

2. JD Ogre says:

Already have Beat Hazard Ultra, NightSky, Solar 2, and Dungeon Defenders (non-Android versions, though). Probably end up getting it in a few days. Dunno.

• gnargle says:

Buy it for Super hexagon or you’re not allowed to return here ever again.

• JD Ogre says:

Hah. Maybe 20 years ago when I had reflexes. :P But now? I wouldn’t last 5 minutes or levels. :P

• KDR_11k says:

5 minutes would be a godlike score in that game.

• Patches the Hyena says:

I’ve done 5:02 on Hexagon, but not even close on any other difficulty.

• gnargle says:

If you last 5 minutes, good friend, you’re a better player than I.

• StranaMente says:

I managed to get to 40 seconds but I felt nauseous for hours later, and had the ghost image of a moving tunnel overimposed on everything.
          Definitely not for me.

• JD Ogre says:

I was right. Couldn’t last even 5 minutes. 3 minutes of play, approximately, and my highscore is only 3.56s. :P [on Hard, rather than Harder or Hardest :]

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It took me 3 days of practice to reach 1 minute :(

• adam.jutzi says:

12 or so hours over 3 days and I managed 42 seconds on hard. That was a month ago. I probably couldn’t even hit 10 seconds reliably now.

It definitely takes some marathon gaming to get high scores.

• Vandelay says:

A good way to play it is by playing on the harder or hardest difficulty for 15 or so minutes. Hard suddenly seems really slow by comparison.

I’ve managed to get to 68.28 seconds on hard and 47.02 on harder. Hardest I’ve only managed 7.01, but I’ve not really tried.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Fuck that. If I want a seizure, I’ll go stare at the sun and blink rapidly for five minutes.

• Davidsve says:

Super Hexagon = crying.

• Berzee says:

If anything, when you already own the available games, place a tiny order now so you can receive any extras they decide to add in later (whereupon you may retroactively place a larger order if the extras are things you desire).

3. return0 says:

For those on the fence about this one, this time they’re giving individual Steam keys for all the games.

• JD Ogre says:

They’ve been doing that for the last 3 or 4 Bundles, actually.

• AngoraFish says:

thanks. i needed to know that.

• liquidsoap89 says:

Does that mean we can get gift copies of the games we already own?

• Somerled says:

No, I think Steam will give you an error about already having the game in your library. You can however just send the Steam keys that you can’t or don’t use to someone else.

• Optimaximal says:

You can punt them on SteamGifts.com or SteamTrades.com if you want.

• MattM says:

Don’t they include a bit in the TOS about the keys being nontransferable and for personal use only? I haven’t heard of them enforcing that and I don’t know if it is even legally enforceable, but it does provide grounds for valve to cancel your steam account if they ever desire to do so in the future.

• thegooseking says:

You can, perfectly legitimately, buy the bundle for someone else. The humble bundles have gift options. Of course, you still need to beat the average to get everything, and at least pay more than $1 to get the steam codes. But since you can pay what you want, you can just knock $1 off your purchase and then buy it for someone else for $1.

Although if you want the full bundle for both yourself and a gift, you’re going to have to beat the average twice.

4. povu says:

Even when I’m not interested in the games, I still end up watching the videos because they’re awesome.

5. Cytrom says:

Don’t know why, I just buy theese bundles even if I don’t really wanna play any of the games (or already did). My excuse is that i support charity, but its probably just another 21st century take on obsessive compulsive disorder, like achievement whoring (wanna own them all).

Wish I had HiB 4 though, that’s the only one I missed.

6. Arcadia says:

Today was the day I finally beat Super Hexagon on the pc, now I have to do it all over again on my phone. I hate you Terry, I hate you.

7. Frank says:

When did Hassey start making an awesome-looking non-Galcon game?

8. JFS says:

Hm, I’d like to have Super Hexagon, but at its current price of 6.02 $ I could buy the game itself and be off cheaper. I have some of the other games (and never played all of them), and I’m not interested in the rest.

I have a feeling that indie bundles are getting less interesting and more repetitive these days. What a pity, but I guess there just aren’t enough devs to churn out games at the rate that indie bundles pop up.

• Cytrom says:

I dont think thats the case.. quite the contrary. There are more and more quality indie games coming out nowadays, and their popularity is strong enough at this point that they simply don’t need marketng stunts like this to get on the map anymore (there were quite a few highy rated indies yesteryear and already this year that never made it into any bundle and weren’t even discounted much, simply because they sell well regardless). So the bundles at this point boil down to totally obscure indie games with little to no marketing freshly on the market coupled wih a more well known but financially not too successful (or way past its popularity peak) title(s)

9. aliksy says:

I was always disappointed with Beat Hazard. and it was so flashy it hurt my eyes. Now if they had Audiosurf I’d be all over this. I might get it anyway, though.

• InternetBatman says:

I wasn’t that thrilled with it either. There is a slider for the special effects, so you can turn them down without turning them off.

• liquidsoap89 says:

I’m the exact opposite. I only enjoyed playing the ninja mode in Audiosurf, everything else made me think too hard (or harder than I wanted to playing a game like that). But Beat Hazard just nails it for me. It’s got just the right amount of strategy to your movements/reflexes, without making you lose focus on what’s really the most important part ie: The Music.

And I think the visuals are terrific in BH. Obviously it’s not for everyone, but when I go through a slower section of a song, surviving with weak weapons and relatively tame background until the song picks up again and everything goes insane again, I can’t think of a lot of games that match that type of feeling for me.

I’ve put over 20 hours in to BH, and I still enjoy playing it today.

10. InternetBatman says:

I want this for super hexagon but have three of them and don’t want the other two (Dungeon Defenders, Dynamite Jack). I might just buy Super Hexagon on steam.

• Optimaximal says:

If you just want Super Hexagon on Steam, buy Super Hexagon on Steam (it’s £1.99).

11. Berzee says:

This is a new frontier: previous bundles have been “Humble Bundle for Android” but this is the first time we have ever seen a “Humble Bundle WITH Android”!

12. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Really irritated that they included Dungeon Defenders again to drive up the average price. I wouldn’t mind having Super Hex on Steam/my phone but I already paid $3 for it on my iPad and I’m not paying $6 to rebuy.

13. Ahtaps says:

“The games are available on Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux, and you can spit your donation between devs, organisers and charities.”

Last time I tried to spit a donation at someone I ended up with a restraining order. Plus, coins don’t taste nearly as good as they look.

Might consider this one as it has a few games I’ve hmmed and ah over but never had enough motivation to buy individually.

• The Random One says:

I spit donations all the time. If someone refuses to aknowledge that the currency of The Eminent Proctectorate of Alleatoria and Whereabouts consists on the bodily fluids of Lord Watcher and Emperor Random the One, they’d better take it up with the UN.

14. Rig says:

Finally, my silence can be broken. I did the sound and music for Solar 2 – so pumped that it’s here :D

15. Dowr says:

Nightsky is in here; that is enough reason to throw your earth money, digitally, at Humble Bundle’s face – Super Hexagon is also very nice.

16. wererogue says:

Humble Bundle was my Steam4Linux before there was Steam4Linux. I probably still have more games on the Linux tab of my humble store account than in my S4L.