Issue Six (Six Six): The Secret World’s PvP XP Overhaul

By Jim Rossignol on March 5th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

The sixth big update to The Secret World looks moderately bonkers, with “The Last Train To Cario” offering Lost Ark type shenanigans with hats and whips aplenty. There’s also some news regarding PvP changes, where things have been tweaked to give more motivation to combat: XP shared between you and the group for kills, as well as a battle rank. Funcom suggest that this stuff, plus “a good chunk of minor enhancements and bug fixes” should make this update an important one.

The game is now subscription free, which makes it worth a punt for no-pennies.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Maxheadroom says:

This worth jumping into yet?
    I’ve been looking for a non-fantasy MMO for a while (had enough of dragons elves and wizards) but since Neocron & Anarchy Online there really hasnt been anything

• I Got Pineapples says:

Yes. It is quite a bit of fun. The questing general and investigation quests in particular are great and your character is pretty customisable, which can be interesting. Also, the writing is suprisingly strong.

The only real downside to it is that once you reach the end of the current storyline, there honestly isn’t that much to do other than re-do some quests to fill up your skill wheel.

• Humanji says:

It’s not bad. I haven’t played a whole lot of it, but the first section (set in New England) is awesome. And there’s some brilliant ideas in there, like the investigation missions which require to search the internet for clues. Since it’s free, it’s well worth having a look to make up your own mind.

• The Random One says:

It’s an MMO. You run around running backwards from/strafing around big baddies while using a skill repeatedly and waiting for the others to reload.

If you don’t have a problem with that the setting is great and incredibly well realized.

• Kestilla says:

I feel strongly that all the things the game does well would have been a million times better if they hadn’t been forced into a samey kill 10 of these MMO blah fest.

Good cutscenes, voice acting, a real attempt to immerse you in the story, and the NPCs tell you all sorts of stories and information about areas and what’s going on, and then you’re told you need to clear out a specific number of these, activate this many of those so result X happens Y number of times so then you can continue the quest chain with NPC Z to get back to the bits of the game you were actually enjoying before being interrupted by such nonsense.

The level of detail in the game also does not mesh at all with the billions of other players running around killing the monsters and bad guys and taking the quest items and fighting over the areas you’re supposedly the first one to venture into / encounter. It’s the same thing with The Old Republic Online. It’s hard to tell a “You’re The One” story when you’re being crowded out by a hundred other heroes. Whereas games like WoW work just fine because you’re Paladin A grouped with Mage B, exploring a world you’re made immediately aware has already been trodden upon by heroes greater than you will ever be.

Skeletor68 says:

Small spelling mistake with Cario instead of Cairo on first line. Feel free to delete this comment if you see it and amend.

3. Bhazor says:

And still the only thing that comes to mind is
    “Why the hell did they make this an MMO and not an adventure game?”

slerbal says:

^^ I agree, or even a 4 player co-op game.

I played it for about a month when it went subscription-free, and the investigation missions and the wonderful characters (all lovingly voice acted) were really amazing, but because it is an MMO the overall story is fixed in time – you never get to see the consequences of your intervention because that character has to await the next adventurer to come along.

As a friend said – MMOs are theme parks with everyone queuing up for a ride. I can enjoy them until that reality settles in where it is brief moments of interest between ongoing grind.

If you get a chance play the Investigation Missions in The Secret World do take it. The world is lovely, the adventures are interesting and the dialogue is great, but treat it for it is: a light snack.

4. fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

I’m enjoying it immensely. The stories, characters and atmosphere are top notch. I’m enjoying the combat too. The writing gives logical reasons for ‘kill 10 of those’ and ‘go fetch that’.

My only real criticisms are the endless walking (and off-by-default sprinting doesn’t help) and the weird decision to limit active missions.

I have been soloing most of it though. I only call on my friends when I either have a mission that’s too tough or we’re doing a dungeon.

slerbal says:

I found it a shame that it was so single-player oriented. I was really hoping that for any of the main quests at least co-operation would be mandatory.

You are right about the writing though – there so much great stuff there.

• MacTheGeek says:

I’ve yet to do anything cooperatively in the game. Part of that stems from being a complete MMO noob, and part of it stems from my inability to play regularly, as my free time is not always my own.

Would like to see an “official” Rock Paper Secrets group, though. If hell is other people, I’d rather be tortured by a bunch of RPSers than by a public group.

• malkav11 says:

Unfortunately, although the game’s difficulty goes up sharply by the time you get to Blue Mountain, the game otherwise tends to discourage cooperation by the fact that a lot of quests involve solo instances and you can never tell which ones will ahead of time.

5. malkav11 says:

It’s not no-pennies, though. You still have to buy the game. Unless, like me, you already have it.

6. Jorum says:

for no subscription this is really worth trying. very good writing throughout. lovely atmospheres to regions. missions where you actually have to stop and think about stuff.
    Only reason I cancelled my sub was lack of time. Now it’s free no excuse :)

7. Anym says:

Am I the only one who, after reading the headline, thought for a moment that there was a new episode of the podcast?

8. thegooseking says:

This being the first MMO where I’ve liked the PVP for its own sake, I’m not sure I’m happy with what I’ve heard about the updates.

For those who don’t know, PVP in TSW is supposed to be three-sided, rather than two-sided. The one thing that particularly worries me is increased rewards for coming second. I feel like this will disincentivise the two losing teams from working together to break a winning team’s domination. Not that that happens anyway, but it feels like it should, and they should be encouraging it, not discouraging it. This will be exacerbated by actual rewards for kills, since as it stands, you don’t get anything for killing another player, which makes fighting between the losing teams pointless. But if you get a reward for a kill, then you have a reason to kill someone who could otherwise help you take on the winning team.

It just seems like a bit of a mess to me.

Edit: But I do love the game. Don’t get me wrong. I like the PVP more than I do in other MMOs, but it’s still the part of the game I care about the least.