Running With Rifles Is Also Creeping With Rifles

If you mind is keen, like the edge of a freshly sharpened bayonet, you will remember top-down real-time tactics game Running With Rifles. That game is still in development, of course, but that development is bearing the fruit of considerable progress. Not only does it look at least twice as fetching as it looked the last time I used my eyes on it, but it also now boasts co-op stealth happenings, as you can see in a new video, below. Developer Pasi Kainiemi explains: ” We got into playing RWR all sneaky and set out to find the enemy comms truck. It almost got away at the latter part of the video when we failed to stay unnoticed, fun stuff.” And it is.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

RWR was hilarious, but it always struck me (and quite a few others I spoke to) as a pain in the arse regarding aiming and elevation changes. The version I played (a while back now) had lots of gently undulating, ‘real’ looking terrain, but with very little way to visually identify it from the top-down perspective, which made using it difficult. There was a lot of shooting at a target to find it was stood just the other side of the peak of a hill, or shooting into small undulations between me and the target which you just can’t see. Seemed to me that it needed either a better way of visually indicating terrain height differences, or flatter/blockier/less organic terrain that works with the aiming system they’ve got.

I’ll grab hold of the current demo version and see if it’s changed at all.

• Gnoupi says:

They added isolines, on the terrain. It’s less pretty, but it really helps with this problem.
      They are not active on the video, I’ll try to find something that shows them.

Edit: Here is an early version: link to modulaatio.com

Now, they can be adjusted, to something more subtle: link to modulaatio.com

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Hee!

That’s loads better! RWR, finally, goes on the to-buy list.

2. Disrespecting says:

RWR is a really fun game but to me personally it just had no staying power, after a hour or two it just feels pointless to start it up again really.

• JackMayol says:

That’s what multiplayer is there for ;)
      We also implemented a new mode since a few weeks now, the “invasion” mode which has a persistent progression system. It is completely coop (or singleplayer) and where you start with only one base. There are some weapons that can only be unlocked after a rank promotion. In the invasion mode you will have RPG elements like rare weapons drop, kevlar-vests, defibrilators to revive fallen mates, special perks, mini-boss, paratrooper drops, etc… As you can see the development is far from being done yet. Also there will be a kind of “hardcore-invasion” mode which will be nearly impossible and only for harcore gamers ;)

Hodge says:

The new graphics are endearing the game to me and now I feel like a shallow cad.

4. Gnoupi says:

RWR is a great game, really fun to feel like one small soldier in the middle of a warzone. You kill fast, you die fast.

It’s a bit like playing an action/shooter Men of War.

5. mixmixmixmix says:

always good to see some coverage on my favourite in beta game. I pop in every month or so for a RWR frag fest. good times.

6. wodin says:

GREAT FUN..LOVE IT..HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Whoops sorry for caps lock..to lazy to fix it..though I’ve just wrote all this explaining myself.

7. JackMayol says:

btw, if I am allowed, it would be awesome if you guys could vote for Running with Rifles on Steam greenlight if you’d like to have it on steam one day. Thank you very much!

link to steamcommunity.com

8. WarrantOfficer says:

Just tried the demo over at Desura and really enjoyed what I saw. This game deserves it to be on Steam, so voted on Steam Greenlight as well. Keep up the good work, can’t wait to try out the full version! Actually having a kind of story, like in the co-op gameplay, sounds like tons of fun, especially with a friend :D! I know the demo is somewhat outdated, so I don’t know what has been improved since then.

9. DoomMetal says:

There’s a match on with the devs on Sunday at 8pm UTC.
    Good time to check out the multiplayer which imo has the games biggest potential. :)

10. RogerioFM says:

I might get it, but considering the amount of info we currently have, it would be a shot in the dark.

• pasik says:

To spoil every little secret, check out the gameplay tutorial post on the forum: link to modulaatio.com

Hmm-Hmm. says:

Alas, another pun cascade killed before it got going.

• Gap Gen says:

After reading that post, I’ve decided I musket this game.

• Grape says:

I’d like to personally thank you for killing the pun-thread, Pasik. If only more people would do that, we might be able to finally eradicate the nonsensical, spammy, obnoxious bullshit that is pun-threads.

Again, thank you.

11. Gap Gen says:

I now want to make a clown pie-fight simulator called Running with Trifles.

12. David Bliff says:

Thanks for spreading the word about this game. I just tried it and absolutely love it. Insta-buy.

13. Josh W says:

This looks lovely, reminds me of frozen synapse and hotline miami, which reminds me that I still have a lot of the former game to play! But eventually, this may be a quite nice addition.