Yessss: Zeno Clash II’s Trailer Looks Crazier Than Ever

By Nathan Grayson on March 6th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

that's the biggest one of those things i've ever seen

In Zeno Clash II, there is punching and uppercutting and kicking and kneeing and winged lion people and juggle combos and bird men and claw guns and cities that look like the industrial age as imagined by a sentient piece of chewing gum and a case of severe underbite that probably wasn’t fixed because dentists rarely work with those wooden things people put paint on and piledrivers and arms coming out the ground and aaaaaaijnfdisnfinidnsekfdkffffffffthrp

That’s probably not even a fourth of the components that make up this trailer’s beautiful bouquet of pure madness, but my words stopped working, so I just spat all over my monitor for a few minutes. And while a fully explorable world’s the obvious big addition here, it looks like Ghat’s picked up quite a few new powers to give his punches some extra oomph. Or whatever the bird-beak-caving-in equivalent of “oomph” is.

I spotted a tether that transfers damage to multiple enemies, some kind of ricocheting gun, and all sorts of snazzy new melee strikes. Enemies seem to have beefed up their inevitable-beatdown-stalling strategies, too, so there’s quite a lot to look forward to here.

Ace Team and Atlus still haven’t nailed down a concrete date, aiming instead for the increasingly narrower window of “early 2013″. But you want to know more now. I can see it in your Rubik’s Cube that’s probably also symbolism for the role of the author in absurdist fiction. And fortunately, Past Jim is here to save the day. He had a fairly lengthy chat with Ace Team last year, and it’s well worth a read. So get to it. Now then, I have some more spitting to dottttttrrhrhweionbmcfffttpppttt.

, , .

1. GenBanks says:

Excellent! I loved Zeno Clash.

2. TomxJ says:

typtiopp[p[[ttpttpttptpppt!!!!

3. SF Legend says:

PUNCHFACE

4. Gurrah says:

Very good news indeed.

5. MOKKA says:

Reminds that I still need to play Zeno Clash 1.

• Kamos says:

You definitely should. It is fun and it convinced me that First Person Fisticuffing is possible.

RedViv says:

Needs more Father-Mother.

• rapchee says:

i didn’t finish the first one, but it seemed to me that he/she was dead … although was at least one other dead character, and the world is quite weird so it could happen anyways

• Inigo says:

Father-Mother is still alive. The beginning stages of the game involve breaking him/her out of prison. You can actually see it as an objective in the trailer.

7. Leaufai says:

I love the art style. Like they thought with every face, item, etc. they went and thought: “we’ll take this ordinary thing like an Asian hat and make it just a little bit more uncomfortable to look at”.

8. Arglebargle says:

The first Zeno Clash wasn’t exactly my kind of game, but I bought it anyway, because it was so wonderful.

Looks like this might be the case again…the buying and the wonderful, anyway.

9. Prime says:

The art design in this game is exemplary. With each new character or landscape you get the feeling that you’re seeing something genuinely, astonishingly new. When you back up the art with writing like this

“Pellum needed to be invisible, so he removed the eyes from anything that could see him”

then you’ve got something really special, and that’s before you even talk about the excellent fisticuffs!

Can’t wait for this!

(ps: click the quote for the “Corwids of the Free” trailer from the first game)

slerbal says:

That is a brilliant quote and just took me from “uninterested” to “curious” :)

• Bhazor says:

Eriyima peed on herself and starved to death.

Not quite as good a quote.

• Soup says:

The art is heavily inspired by Hieronymus Bosch which is something that’s not done nearly enough.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I was only vaguely aware of BOSH, but you have prompted me to look at his paintings and I now realise that he was a mental. Thank you.

• Geen says:

The game is batshit insane, and thus wonderful. It’s like Escher and Bosch had a baby who in turn did a ton of acid and stared at Cthulhu for a few hours, then made a game.

10. Windward says:

I love Zeno Clash, buut the gameplay looks just as bad as the first one.

11. Muzman says:

That video just said to me “It’s been way too long since you punched a bird-man in the face, hasn’t it”

12. Gwilym says:

The arm in the last shot is so incredibly Terry Gilliam. In fact, that entire shot is.

I suppose them being Gilliam fans isn’t a massive surprise after Rock of Ages, but I’m glad the influence extends beyond his goofy cut-out animation and into his crazy gorgeous psychedelapocalyptic vistas. I’ve been waiting for games to do that.

maninahat says:

Playing Zenoclash, you can spot all sorts of influences. There are weird little details, like the “Dali Crutches” or Gaudi mosaics built into the scenery. It’s a game for art lovers, to be sure.

I can’t fucking wait.

• Ross Angus says:

Looks like they took the gun from eXistenZ – the one from the Chinese restaurant. In the woods.

13. GameCat says:

I think Zeno Clash have one of the best fantasy world ever created. It’s so refreshing after that all “king & knights with some magick and dragons” (although you can still make it unique – see Dark Souls) boring settings.
    Gameplay is also unusual. No more swinging swords and heavy armours. Let’s punch someone directly into face.

I love this game.

maninahat says:

Agreed. It is easily my favourite fantasy setting – even more so than Dunwall or Thief’s city. Even the story is out there; you’re on the run for killing a 10 foot tall, hermaphrodite bird! Nothing can be compared to it.

14. Droopy The Dog says:

It’s a minor thing but those outragously over the top biff noises make me unreasonably happy.

• GameCat says:

You mean these “PUNCH!” sounds? I can almost see them as a comic onomatopoeia.

15. PopeBob says:

Not sure if I should ATATATATA or ORAORAORA.

16. suibhne says:

Shine on, you crazy, crazy bastards.

strangeloup says:

This looks ace (no pun intended), although with the sound effects I kind of wanted to have 60′s Batman-style BIFF! POW! bubbles coming up.

Also, I’ve had the first one for ages and never played it for some reason. I’m going to get on that.

18. Jason Moyer says:

More fighting and fewer gimmick levels this time, hopefully.

19. Jojolion says:

Every game should be like Zeno Clash. I want games to be interesting and vibrant again, not pathetically aping reality. Like in Zeno Clash I’d look at a tower in the middle of the desert or something and think “Wow, I wonder what’s in there?” whereas in Skyrim I will see absolutely nothing because everything is boring as shit and I’ve fallen asleep.

20. The Dark One says:

Are they using Unreal this time? Ghat’s arms have this weird sheen to them throughout the trailer.

basilisk says:

Yeah, they said Source was unsuitable for the more open world gameplay they wanted to do in this one. And you’re right, his arms definitely have some of that plasticky Unreal engine look.

21. aliksy says:

Yeah, the setting and style of the first game were exceptional. Really makes other games with their ho-hum settings look bad in comparison.

22. Dowr says:

Please, get some good voice acting this time around.

• cjlr says:

You didn’t like the it’s-probably-just-the-dev-team’s-friends vibe from the first one? It was almost Men of War quality!

23. Atic Atac says:

Still way to creeped out by Father-Mother to be able to come close to this one :/

24. gritz says:

Someone give these people millions of dollars to make this an open-world exploration game with the same combat and crazy awesome design. Please.

maninahat says:

I’m told that Zeno Clash 2 will be somewhat open world. I saw a map and upgrade screen in the trailer.

25. The Random One says:

*reads alt text*

That’s the second biggest one of those things I’ve ever seen.

26. Ostymandias says:

this trailer

it’s like i’m really in Poland

Devan says:

I’ll definitely be picking this up. The first game was quite the experience and I appreciate the additions the team made post-ship. I know that the sequel won’t be as paradigm-shifting because I know what to expect (or do I?), but it’ll be worth it for the punching and the wacky dialogue even if the story/environment doesn’t satisfy (which it probably will).

28. Wedge says:

First person pile driving has happened at last. Thank you ACE Team.