You Can Totally Watch The Gaming BAFTAs Below

By John Walker on March 6th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

There are videogaming BAFTAs. I wouldn’t know, since BAFTA have never invited me to anything. WHAT AM I? CHOPPED GAMES JOURNALIST LIVER? It appears they happened last night, and games won awards. Which games? Which awards? I’ll grudgingly tell you now.

The results fall squarely into that odd new zone of the mainstream of non-mainstream. The games absolutely everyone bought, while feeling like they were special for having bought them. And king of those games is PS3 exclusive, Journey, which greedily scooped Artistic Achievement, Audio Achievement, Game Design, Online Multiplayer (WHA?), and Original Music. And that’s despite being a game about going for a boring walk in the sand! Impressive stuff.

Indie darling Thomas Was Alone picked up the rather odd prize for Best Performer, for Danny Wallace’s narration. I very briefly worked with Danny Wallace about 14 years ago, and he was always a bit rude to me, so I’m not sure he deserves it. Telltale’s much loved The Walking Dead series received even more accolades, with one for Mobile And Handheld, and another for Story. The other darling of the indie set, The Unfinished Swan, grabbed Game Innovation and Début Game.

The Best British Game, according to BAFTA suits, was handheld puzzler The Room, and the Family Award went very deservedly to Travellers Tales, except for entirely the wrong game. They got it for LEGO Batman 2, where it should obviously have been given for either LEGO Harry Potter 2, or LEGO Lord Of The Rings. Something called SongPop picked up Online-Browser, and New Star Soccer garnered the nebulous Sports/Fitness. (I’m not quite sure how sofa entertainment and jumping up on down on plastic games can be in the same category.)

We are told we should watch the appositely named Kind Of A Big Deal, for Starcrossed, with their Ones To Watch award, and of course Uncy Gabe was presented with his Academy Fellowship for Best Beard.

But Best Game went to Dishonored – certainly one of our favourite games of 2012, but one we found didn’t have the staying power to top our list for the year.

You can watch the whole thing here:

Watch live video from bafta on www.twitch.tv

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Funnily enough, movie types get invited to BAFTA game events. You have to be (or know) a BAFTA member in order to get an invite (and membership is not cheap, and requires that existing members “vouch” for you), or have been nominated for something. I believe if you actually win an award you get free membership, and can thus vote on future awards.

Yes, it’s a silly system.

2. Moni says:

Oh, go on then, tell us some stories about Danny Wallace.

• battles_atlas says:

I met him once, I thought he was a prick. Though I though that before I met him too. He’s the Southern Paddy McGuniness – a man who is adored by media outlets too poor to afford the talented guy they used to follow around.

• Furius says:

Me too. He’s a snobby prick. His chummy fumbling englishman routine is a total act. He’s not even English!

• trjp says:

What you’re saying is he’s a modern-day Kenny Lynch then?

Screwie says:

Poor Dara, he seems to have outgrown his podium.

• Droopy The Dog says:

It’s to be expected, he’s a giant amongs stage kit designed for mere men.

• gulag says:

Saw him charging up Grafton St. once. He looked like the prow of a warship. Would not have wanted to be in his way.

Lovely fella.

TheApologist says:

That seems like a fairly decent list of awards to me. Definitely better than SPIKE TV MEGABLAM SHOOTYMAN PRIZE SPONSORED BY CRISPS (TM).

Seems an odd thing to snark about anyway.

• Delusibeta says:

If there was an award for Best Gaming Award Show, the BAFTAs would win every year, in my opinion.

• Niko says:

Isn’t “snark” a British word for “talk”?

phuzz says:

Generally only talking in a sarcastic or dismissive way.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Which is to say, when we’re speaking with Johnny Foreigner. Bah!

• Niko says:

Ah, I see, I was a little wrong about the connotation.

• Chris D says:

I’m now slightly disappointed you weren’t doing a variation of the “How can you tell when a Brit is being snarky? Their lips are moving” gag.

• Niko says:

See, I’m not reading RPS for long enough to get a required concentration of Britishness to do that.

• Berzee says:

But if your brief exposure has caused you to think that “snark” is a word for “talk”, I think that’s the very best confirmation of the joke you didn’t make. ^__^

5. aircool says:

BAFTAS = British Awards For Talking Absolute Shite!

6. Jams O'Donnell says:

One thing bothers me about the game BAFTAs — where is the “game” in “BAFTA?” I guess it’s nice that they recognise gaming but it’d be nice if they, you know, recognised gaming.

British Acadamy of Film and Television Arts and Some Other Stuff We’re Shoving Under That Umbrella.

• Lewie Procter says:

British Acadamy of Film and *Televisual* Arts.

• Jams O'Donnell says:

Not sure if correction or suggestion that “televisual” is enough to cover games. Seems like a stretch, but I’m a grade-A nitpicker.

• trjp says:

Aha – RPS’s very own BAFTA stooge arrives!

Can we discuss Journey’s win for Best Online Multiplayer then? :)

I realise it’s a stupid club where you have to be a member to be a member and you have to nominate yourself and you choose your own categories and shit but cmon – Best Online Multiplayer fucking what!?

7. Gravy100 says:

I stopped playing Assassins Creed 2 because Danny Wallace was so unbelievably annoying and rude in the unbelievably boring Desmond bits. I like to think those bits weren’t scripted and were just ad-lib.

• zachforrest says:

I read his unbelievably tedious column in Timeout for the sole purpose of riling me up enough so i can push through the hordes of geese and tourists in St James’ Park more aggresively.

• Flukie says:

Wtf is the point in that column it never actually contains any content.

• zachforrest says:

The disappointment i experienced upon waking up one Saturday to find he was filling in for Adam and Joe on 6Music….can’t express…

8. Runs With Foxes says:

And by contrast, Far Cry 3 has staying power?

• MuscleHorse says:

Lists are silly, the numbering of said lists doubly so.

Worry not of them.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Fun fact: a group of people are better at predicting Oscar winners than the best individual predictor within a group.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That makes a certain sort of sense when you realise that no committee truly thinks like a human does*, so it takes another committee to predict one accurately.

* PhD dissertation committees excepted. They don’t think even remotely like a human does, more like some sort of malevolent shrew, or possibly a misanthropic vole.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Here is a very (un)interesting question: Are not all voles misanthropic by virtue of their being not human? Or can (non-human) animals be misanthropic, too?

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I’ve yet to be hooked by FC3. It seems rather monotonous, and I’m only 3 hours in. Dishonored seems a lot more interesting to me (at least in the early stages), but for the bugs (although nothing game-breaking). I started Tomb Raider last night, and though it has a similar setting to FC3, I’m enjoying it a lot more.

• noodlecake says:

Yes it does! It’s much tighter, the characters are more interesting and is generally much less flawed. I really like Dishonoured for a lot of reasons but the fact that I can’t use any of the powers that look any good because everything will go to shit as a result kinda ruins the experience for me. I still haven’t seen what the fun sounding powers look like :(. Also the characters are terribly boring.

9. sub-program 32 says:

“despite being a game about going for a boring walk in the sand!” While I don’t really go the whole expressing dislike route much, this line did make me twitch a bit. It just sounds like John never made it past the first half of the first (and shortest) level, or never played it at all and is going by video fragments.

strangeloup says:

Or, just possibly, he’s being sarcastic.

You never know.

• woodsey says:

I played it all. Sums it up pretty well.

It deserves an award for art direction, because that carried the whole thing. Now people get to say, “ooh, look at how mysterious and emotional it all is”. The co-op integration was a nice idea, but nice ideas don’t always work out how you hope – and Journey is one of those times.

John’s right in that it’s just one of those indie games everyone can say they bought and pat themselves on the back. It does that tiresome indie-schtick of relying on minimum player-input because, y’know, that’s how you really engage with something emotionally.

I have no problem with games wanting to communicate a message or give someone The Feels, but Journey is a poser.

• Gravy100 says:

I suppose you could dismiss it as a poser but I’d say it is more refined, like a posh boy straight out of Eton. Multiplayer for example is one of the areas in which I’d say it is refined, I love the way it was handled as I’m not one for mixing with that COD lot and their base language.

Crimsoneer says:

I love that we have a famous comedian who ACTUALLY plays video games. Great showing by all, although you do rather wonder who nominated BLOPS 2 for most innovative game.

Bluerps says:

I like that they buried Journey in awards, but some of those nominations are a bit bewildering. CODBLOPS2 nominated for Game Innovation? D3 and Dark Souls for Strategy? What?

• rustybroomhandle says:

Worse, the nom is specifically for the ‘Prepare to Die’ edition. Dark Souls was nominated last year too in the same category.

• Squirly says:

I was wondering about Dark Souls myself, but if they nominated it last year as well for the previous edition, at least they’re consistent. Still dumb, but consistently dumb.

12. brulleks says:

New Star Soccer actually won? That’s fantastic news!

Ok, so yes the BAFTAs and awards in general are a bit of baloney, but Si Reed deserves all the recognition he gets for beavering away on his indie games for so many years, and giving great attention to the comments of his fanbase.

This lone developer was up against the likes of FIFA, PES and (for some reason) the extremely overhyped but incredibly popular fitness games in this category. Congratulations Si!

• Mr Chug says:

Absolutely this. The PC version of NSS was great, but the mobile version occupied my commute time non stop for a good couple of months. In a field that included BLOPS2 getting a nomination for innovation it’s great to see PES and FIFA getting beaten by the better game.

13. Lemming says:

“Online Multiplayer (WHA?)”

Multiplayer that’s unintrusive and you can’t hear them speak? I’d say it’s the best multiplayer game ever made.

• RakeShark says:

I cannot like this comment enough.

Not to mention as an experiment in making people empathetic towards each other, rather than hostile and competitive, I’d say it was a success. Stuff like that I feel deserves to be recognized and put on a pedestal over other entries that check off the boxes of modes/netcode/VOIP/progression/balance. It’s not like BL2 changes the way we think of multiplayer, no, we look at it and say “That’s the standard we want/don’t want”.

Dunno if it’s the contrarian/hipster asshole in me, but I have no qualms about indie-esque games like Journey utterly thieving awards that would go to blockbuster manshoot mega-hits whose profit margins are highlighted on every other gaming website.

• sub-program 32 says:

Totally agreed on that point. The fact that those multiplayer aspects actually affect a story element near the end is just icing on the non-intrusive cake.

14. tigershuffle says:

just be thankful that the Brits havent decided to cover games as well…..

subjective awards are one thing, but awards issued on populism

15. SuicideKing says:

I’m surprised RPS didn’t like Sleeping Dogs enough to put it on their calender.

16. Hoaxfish says:

I thought the ceremony itself was pretty nice, with an actual focus on the games, and most of the people involved actually had a sense of humour.

I know it’s mostly a temporary hang-over from the recent olympics, but it was nice to see some of the paralympians on stage as any other celebrities (and making some self-deprecating jokes instead of being politically correct).

Zephro says:

Gabe just got TS Elliot and EE Cummings mixed up! This is the worst thing Valve have ever done.

18. mickygor says:

SongPop was the best browser game of 2012. One of the best examples of social gaming, and easily the best on facebook.

19. Shadowcat says:

“Who is that fat bastard?”

• Alien Smithee says:

Dara Ó Brian. He likes to tell us he’s an “atheist” but like that other bald fat cringe-worthy bastard Phil Collins, he’s a Freemason, Luciferian and a Satanist. He’s also a Marxist Socialist who loves promoting fraudulent science (i.e. Global Warming and Climate Change) and basically wants you dead, that’s who. Ó Brian likes to grease his palms with blood money and bribes, so he’s obviously a great choice to be connected with the BAFTA’s, basically a PR Advertising and Marketing organisation where “awards” are given to those who bribe the most to the corrupt “officials” behind closed doors, either with money, titles or sexual favours. Glad Rock Paper Shotgun isn’t involved with those criminals!