West To Kill: Call Of Juarez – Gunslinger

By Adam Smith on March 7th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

One of my first experiences inside Castle Shotgun ended with a heartfelt lament. The Call of Juarez sounded bitterly in my ears. I haven’t played Gunslinger yet and while it doesn’t quite look like a return to form, it does seem potentially entertaining, with its arcade, score-based take on rooting, tooting and indeed shooting. A new video makes the mistake of advertising another upcoming video as it finishes, but it captures a little of the flashback-focused storytelling at the heart of the new game.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. c-Row says:

Just reading the word “Gunslinger” here made me wish for a Dark Tower game…

• neonordnance says:

HOLY CHRIST YES!

• JimDiGritz says:

Imagine exploring the early trials of Roland and his Ka-tet…

You can play as Roland, Bert, Jamie, Alain or Thomas…

I’m sure a seven figure license option would grease the wheels of this IP…

• godgoo says:

It would do me fine.

• Ultra Superior says:

That book burns faster than BHUEESWUAQS candle!

• Dave3d says:

Heh, I wouldnt mind playing that.
      As long as Odetta didnt yell ‘youz gunna suck on each others little white candles?’ all the time.

Would actually make a good game, as long as SK didnt get involved.

• F3ck says:

Would actually make a good game, as long as SK didn’t get involved

This is so true…any time that kook is let near a TV/film adaptation it turns comical.

Also King, for all his accomplishments, is a master of premise and a defiler of endings.

2. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Open world(ish), like the first, without Billy Flashlight. Had the makings of a great game and to be fair was on the good side of OK.

I for one can’t wait 30 years till I’m going senile and can then fully embrace the console era (nurse ask Thorin or Gandalf to carry me, nurse ask Thorin or Gandalf to open the window….. ahh HAPPY DAY’S…NOOOOO! That place is too full to enter!)

• maninahat says:

Billy Candle was a necessary evil. Apart form creating a really interesting cat and mouse story (and you need a mouse for that to work), each annoying instant fail stealth mission as that whiny shit made you really appreciate it all the more when you finally get to replay it as Ray, killing absolutely everything.

3. neonordnance says:

Sounds like they’ve learned their lesson after the clusterfuck that was the Cartel. Honestly, if these guys spend the next decade pumping out solid Western FPS’s with original ideas and good graphics, the world will be just a little better for their effort. No one does Wild West like Techland.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Can I add a bit of depth and dare I say intellectual difficulty to the wishlist….no sorry I’m overstepping the mark there.

Just no autoaim would be nice…………………

• Zenicetus says:

I agree that Techland did a great job with the Wild West environment… at least the shared cultural version we all know from movies set in Monument Valley, etc. But their game mechanics sucked in the one I played (Bound in Blood). Too much on-rails design and scripted nonsense, like that stagecoach attack. The quickdraw mechanics were wonky too. The only thing I remember liking was the cover system, which was pretty good for an FPS.

Unfortunately it sounds from the earlier RPS preview that they’re still going for silly game mechanics this time around, with “combos” for gunplay, and numbers and text floating out of people’s heads when you hit them…. Ugh!

All I want — and I suspect many gamers want — is just something like Fallout: New Vegas in a traditional Wild West setting. Which NV almost was.

• Brun says:

Sounds like what you really want it to be is Red Dead: Redemption. I think a lot of the people berating this game are wanting it to be that, and aren’t recognizing that it actually *isn’t* that. There can be Western games other than RDR that are not like RDR, guys. Just saying.

• neonordnance says:

And there can also be RDR on the PC, ARE YOU LISTENING ROCKSTAR?

• Zenicetus says:

If Red Dead Redemption had made it to PC, I would have bought it! I’m really just bemoaning the lack of more games in this setting on the PC.

I love the Western lore and environment. It’s fun using fairly primitive revolvers, shotguns and rifles instead of the usual boring modern FPS arsenal. The arcade stuff just isn’t that essential to making a good game in the setting. Mafia 2, for example, didn’t need floating numbers and gimmicks to make me feel like I was inhabiting that time period. Anyway, it wouldn’t bother me to see both types of games on the market. But instead, we get just the arcade version when it comes to Westerns on the PC (sigh).

• Dave3d says:

Ugggg.
        That just ruined it for me.

And, I thought BIB was too consolish, and then to throw in Bulletstorm type gimmics on top of that?

The first game was excellent, the second ok, and the third royally sucked.

EDIT:
        Actually, if we have the ability to disable the floating text and stuff, it might not be that bad.

4. mehteh says:

Not expecting much considering the last two were terrible console ports and terribly console focus

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Yes, you have a very valid point, shit games BUT think about the people who like late 19th century USofA frontier hats (and beans). They were catered for in the way of hats!

• The Random One says:

“These modern guns, you just point and shoot, they’re dumbed down for consoles. Real PC gamers use six-shooters and repeating rifles.”

5. ZIGS says:

A trailer for a trailer… has science gone too far?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Nay! We have no gods! No kings! We have no masters but those we willingly or unwillingly submit to.

I say to you, if someone wishes to stop me, they must first prove they have the right! Through argument, through persuasion, through threat of force – or force itself.

The weak Man cannot shackle the strong. The fearful Man cannot intimidate the brave. The imbecilic Man cannot sway the genius through cunning rhetoric. The appeal to morality or to a god is an attempt to sway the mighty with threats of an absent superior. The strong Man – the free Man – cannot be intimidated. He can only be compelled. Theirs – ours – is a superior philosophy, one where the only limits to Man’s greatness is the limit of Man’s ambition, not the fear of little Men.

I say to you, if you would stop the trailer of a trailer, then stop it. If you cannot, you abdicate the right to judge.

The trailer of a trailer is but the earliest of volcanic rumblings. The eruption draws near! One day there will be trailers of trailers of trailers. There will be trailers of interviews of screenshots. There will be devblogs of trailers of concept art. You will behold the trailers of developer walkthroughs of podcasts of trailers of alphas of trailers in the World of Tomorrow and weep, for there is no room for the likes of you!

Embrace it while you still can – if you still can. Seize the reins of the future and bend it to your will, and you will bask in the atomic glow of Man’s limitless Destiny. Then we will be the Masters. We will be the Kings. We will be the Gods.

6. luukdeman111 says:

the day Call of Juarez: The Cartel came out was a pretty dark day in gaming history…. so yeah… not really looking forward to this thing…

7. PitfireX says:

Seriously….What do we have to do to get game devs to stop…

8. LennyLeonardo says:

Too many similies.

9. harley9699 says:

Know Juarez’s history. Started the trailer and saw the Ubisoft logo. Stopped the trailer. My DRM.

10. Ian says:

I really rather liked the first one (having the Bible as a useable item was genius) and I sort of liked the second. Didn’t bother with the Cartel so here’s hoping this is more like the other two.

• maninahat says:

It looks like they’re axing the duel character mechanics in place for a spoken narrative that plays over the top of your actions. Interesting.

11. wodin says:

I enjoyed the first two..love abit of cowboy gunslinging..didn’t bother with the third as it looked awful..was modern setting..and reviews were terrible.