Alpha Male: Arma 3 Alpha (And Series) Trailered By Dslyecxi

By Jim Rossignol on March 8th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Over the past few years I’ve noticed a theme of players seeming to “get” certain games as well as – and often even better than – the developers of said games do. The Arma games are one such series, where the input from ultra-dedicated players is one of the most powerful assets to the series. Who better to captain the Arma 3 trailers, then, but one of Arma’s own superfans, Andrew ‘Dslyecxi’ Gluck, who helps run the ShackTactical community.

This new trailer series (first one below) is ostensible about the Arma 3 Alpha, but this first trailer ends up being about the series generally. If you’ve not ever dabbled and want to understand the appeal, this is where to look.

Also: this.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Wodge says:

He has a nice voice, also a damn fine spokesman for the series, I remember when I first discovered modding for the original Operation Flashpoint, that guy wrote a field manual on “how to not die in OPF” which was basically what the army should give you minus key binds.

2. Bhazor says:

Well why don’t you just marry Arma 3 if you like it so much?

3. ScruffyLemming says:

Dslyecxi is not just a super fan he actually works for Bohemia, has done for a long time now.

• DXN says:

I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive!

• Muffalopadus says:

He has an interesting relationship with BIS. Lets just say that I’m really really really glad he works for them and he loves this series so much.

• Vorphalack says:

The ultimate irony of his name, I read it as plain old Dyslexic on the first pass. Only spotted the joke after wondering why anyone would pick that as a pseudonym >.<

• Redd says:

Nah, the real troll lays in your first attempt at typing it, when you can’t for the life of you get the letters in the right order, even when slowly sounding it out. Then, when everything not making sense makes sense, you realise you’ve been lured into a dyslexia simulator.

4. Vorrin says:

Hah, no way, I was just this morning thinking ‘mhh, Arma 3 is basically my minecraft’ and then he goes out and says it :D

5. Greggh says:

Seriously, I don’t have the money to buy this game this month T_ T

Anyone knows if it’s going to leave alpha soon?

• Arkh says:

I’d say mid year and the release in late in this year or early 2014.

There are already DRM-free versions of this game on the wild, though.

• Norskov says:

The Alpha Lite is available until June 18, 2013, so my guess is the game enters beta around that time.

6. Anthile says:

If years of playing video games and reading news and articles about the medium have taught me one thing, it’s that developers in general are remarkably clueless about it all.

7. Gwyddelig says:

Nice vid and his enthusiasm for the series cannot be faulted. He’s pushing at an open door mind. ArmA III looks stunning. This might just push it from being a fringe “sim” title into something people play a bit more broadly.

The constant trash talking of other shooters was a bit unnecessary and hipster-douche though. I see no conflict between enjoying CoD or BF3 and ArmA. This is not a Daddy or Chips scenario and it hacks me off when people seek to portray it as such. Finally, I don’t care what way BIS slice it, charging for an alpha is dodgy.

• Deadly Habit says:

They’re not charging for an alpha, you’re preordering the actual game with the added benefit of being able to play the alpha and beta.

• Greggh says:

The full game price is gonna change, isn’t it?? There is NO indication that the current price tag is discounted.

Then they are charging for the alpha. (like Mojang did with minecraft’s beta)

• Jesse L says:

Not true! This is the description of what the ARMA 3 Alpha purchase buys you, from their website:

“Arma 3 Alpha
          Alpha-access
          Be one of the first to play Arma 3 and contribute to its development by providing feedback.

3 Alpha Lite Invites
          Introduce your friends to Arma 3 by inviting them to the free invite-only Arma 3 Alpha Lite (available from March 14, 2013 until June 18, 2013).

Beta-access & Full Game
          Gain access to the Arma 3 Beta as soon as it becomes available. Get a Steam version of the complete game upon release.”

• JohnnyK says:

Sure it’s discounted: http://www.arma3.com/buy

Alpha: 24.99€
          Beta: 34.99€
          Final release: 44.99€

So right now you save 20€ plus you get to play it now.

• Glottis1 says:

I wish i had the discipline to buy it, but not play before release. I dont want to play unfinished game. I could save 20€ ;(.

• Panda Powered says:

This alpha is more finished than some “finished” games people pre-order without six months early access though ;)

• CodeineFiend says:

Some people at RPS really need to take off their tin foil hats, its frying their brains.

• Nick says:

This is possibly the most stupid thing I have read today, well done.

• Greggh says:

Well, charging for an alpha really is pretty dodgy (not so much in this case, since we’ve seen these developers success already).

I’d argue it’s better than pre-ordering/kickstarting – solely from a “I want to play this game and I want a license of it ASAP” perspective, that is.

• baozi says:

i think it’s totally fine to charge for an alpha, as long as you say that it’s an alpha.

• terry says:

I see your point, but this strikes me more as a Minecraft model. Enthusiasts get to pick it up cheaply, get a preview of the full the version and help with testing and feedback. Like, you know, an alpha used to mean.

• phuzz says:

Alpha used to mean, internal only, just about working, gameplay demo. Beta used to mean, mainly working, maybe show to some external testers. Then you’d release the game (on disk) and never get a chance to update it, so it had to be fully working.
          The meanings have changed over the last 20-30 years or so.

You kids don’t know how easy you have it get off my lawn etc.
          ;)

• Panda Powered says:

They probably had their internal alpha already though and are in internal beta or whatever now.
            The Alpha and Beta label on the customer versions are probably separate from any internal milestones just to make it clear that we get access to two major phases before the full release.

• iliketomatoes says:

I don’t know what you’re talking about but alpha simply means “feature not complete,” and doesn’t correlate to internal, external, demo, no demo, buggy, not buggy. Beta means feature complete but not final. “The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha

• L3TUC3 says:

I’m very disappointing by the latest iterations of games that have ditched mod support and am glad that BIS is staying with it as it’s amazing what can happen. Dslyecxi is right to point it out.

DayZ is what Desert Combat was for bf1942 and Dice/EA have pretty much made it policy to disallow any modifications rather focusing on DLC which in some cases don’t even match a good mod quality wise. I have had no appetite for BF3 at all even though I’m a really big fan of the series. Arma2 on the other hand has given me great and continued enjoyment despite it’s flaws.

Then again I must point out that a well designed bordered map creates more intensity, while a wide open limitless one may create boredom. I like both based on their merits, but the first will become stale faster while the latter is open to any sorts of variation.

8. P4p3Rc1iP says:

I still think, for all it’s realism, the silly animation really break the immersion. I suppose it’s just a bit too “simmy” for me.

• Jenga says:

I just wish it were more like Novalogic’s Joint Operations, that game had the right amount of milsim but was still actually fun to play, with Arma 3 you still have a clunky interface – way too many keybinds. Simplify that stuff, strip out the excel spreadsheet interface – save controlling massive amount of units for an RTS and give direct control over your avatar or vehicle including the standard press 1,2,3 etc for weapon switch.

This could easily be the “Battlefield” killer that everyone wished it would be but it’ll never get there because it tries to be hardcore sim but yet even as this video covers it doesn’t do that right.

• Panda Powered says:

I was thinking in similar lines too before I actually started getting into ARMA2.
        You don’t actually have to order around troops or do anything more advanced than some of the arcady shooters. There are a lot of stuff you can do if you want but depending on the mission you can cut out pretty much everything except running around shooting at enemies. At the same time about 75% of the key binds don’t have to be used.

9. wodin says:

Good vid..I didn’t think he had a real pop at other FPS games..the one that did spring to mind was Red orchestra 2 a game which upset RO players as it dumbed down way to much and added unlockable guns etc etc. I also applaud them for letting modders get to work.

When I get a spare £20 I buying it.

10. Jesse L says:

That gif is going to be one of my favorite things about today.

11. Jesse L says:

I love the ShackTac guys. I discovered them because of CHKilroy’s amazing DayZ videos from the first days of the popularity of the mod. Dslyecxi features heavily in those as well. I’ve had a lot of fun just watching their videos, and I’ve never played ARMA.

Here’s one of my favorites, an incredibly elaborate and funny ‘war documentary’, complete with BBC voice:

12. PoulWrist says:

If only the ARMA3 alpha would run :(:(:(

13. Meldreth says:

Well, he quite specifically tried to smash Battlefield 3 : ” You’re not gonna have to buy a whole new DLC, just to have a chance to fight in close-quarter maps, or use armored vehicles more “.

Edit : This was supposed to be a reply to wodin. Oops !

14. derbefrier says:

I have come very close to buying this a few times I think i will probably cave this weekend. At this price why the hell not..

15. JimDiGritz says:

Kudos to Andrew. He is a true ambassador for this game.

Now that the graphics are starting to get closer to photorealistic I’m really excited to see how some of these epic battles could be created into a true machinima movie.

Imagine a 10 hour COOP battle, rewound and shot from cinematic vantage points. No faked scenes, just the events as they unfolded in a visually engaging narrative.

Add some dialogue and you have a cinema verite war movie….

I digress…

Great job Dslyecxi

16. Hahaha says:

Surprised (not really) they didn’t link to his amazing tactics guide for arma2

3 is in the works \o/

17. SuicideKing says:

I think i’ll finally get into ArmA III when it launches. Should perhaps play the older games in the meanwhile. I did try the F2P version, found it too complicated.

Probably be more fun with trackIR.

18. SuperNashwanPower says:

Why have they fitted conservatory windows to that army truck?
    EDIT: I’ve written this before. Evidently it turned out that it was so that hoverboard equipped sightseers from 2089 could peek in the top and watch war happen.

19. dejoh says:

I’d like to be able to follow some of the complaints and praises of Arma3 by the players to the developers. There are a few flaws but for the most part, I’m really enjoying the game.
    Thanks BIS.

20. MeestaNob says:

This looks fantastic.

I hope Bohemia can be convinced to move to this engine with Day Z as well. Last I read they were using bits of both the ARMA2 and the new engine, but this looks superior.

21. MordeaniisChaos says:

I love ArmA, it’s probably my favorite game of all time at this point. But at the same time, this seems A) like a community member being a little TOO friendly and a little to happy to claim ArmA 3 is the future when it is, for the most part, worse than ArmA 2 currently. There’s no way to know how the full game will be. Other than the engine improvements, I actually really DISlike a lot of the changes.
    And it also reminds me of how frustrating the ArmA community can be to listen to compare their precious game to other games. They are all just video games. No need to shit all over the competition just because they aren’t to your taste. I thought this video came across as sort of snotty in that all too typical ArmA-community-member sort of way.

• GepardenK says:

Some of the hardcore arma guys can be a bit harsh, but I honestly think it is because fans of more or less every other game out there is always making fun of the arma series in comments. That can make you bitter over the years

Still, I really like the changes to Arma 3. The game is much more fluid now and we finally have decent radio chatter :D

22. Hahaha says:

“Having to cycle through 3 different views and different positions in the vehicle (each with 3 different views) is not what I’d call standard.”

LMFAO