Alarming: Dead Space 3 – Awakened DLC

By Adam Smith on March 11th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Somewhere in the back of my space-scarred and delirious mind, I knew that there was some DLC for Dead Space 3 in the pipeline. I’d intended to write a reminder to be annoyed about it on a post-it note because it was announced before the game had even been released and contained what sounded very much like the end of the story. Even though I enjoyed Isaac’s latest escapade, it didn’t leave me wanting more, which is perhaps why I’d forgotten all about The Awakened. It’s out tomorrow and there’s a trailer below.

If you haven’t finished Dead Space 3, plan to, and care about the story as well as the severance, beware.

Carver slapping Isaac is the best. Can we have an Odd Couple themed sequel starring the two of them sharing an apartment on some horrible moon colony? Isaac would always be moping and hallucinating about his dead friends and lovers, and Carver would yell at him for babbling inanely while the big game is on TV, or gibbering and swearing at the dishes instead of washing them.

Despite The Slap, The Awakened does seem to be at least a little bit spookier than the base game.

Left for dead on Tau Volantis, Isaac Clarke and John Carver face a daunting journey. As madness takes hold, they find they can’t trust their eyes or each other. The trek leads to the ship Terra Nova, now home to a sadistic cult of Unitologists.

Damn those Unitologists.

Price should be around $9.99.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

A ship full of Unitologists is probably more suited to dramatic gunplay than a ship full of, say, Methodists.

2. Caiman says:

Blah blah blah blah blah blah Terra Nova blah bl-

Terra Nova!

Oh wait, it’s just the name of a ship. Just for a second there…

• Adam Smith says:

I’m going to start slipping ‘Terra Nova’ into random posts. Especially ones about Kickstarter.

• Squirly says:

I… I remember that game. HOLY CRAP, I REMEMBER!

Everything’s different now.

• Caleb367 says:

Beg pardon, dear sir, are you by any chance referring to that old gem sporting the subtitle of “Strike Force Centauri”? If so, I’m willing to throw my money at the screen to make it happen. Like, now.

3. bstard says:

EA games became adds in a magazine in the hand of an eastern european around 1980.

4. F3ck says:

I’ve always really liked the Dead Space franchise; the first was my single favorite 3rd person game…it’s the closest to an Alien game (if only in terms of atmosphere) as I’ll likely get in this lifetime.

Just this weekend I played through DS2 in preparation for 3 (as a refresher in both mechanics and story) and, while it isn’t quite as good as the first, it had its moments and was definitely most enjoyable.

I played the first hour or so of DS3 tonight and am rather disgusted.

Not because it’s bad really (though some of it – especially this new relationship/love-triangle dynamic – is almost unbearable)…but because it’s now just so damned bland.

Why couldn’t they just leave the recipe alone? It was fine.

What’s that – you say you like the diversity of weaponry and ammo for varied combat scenarios? Well now every gun can also be every other gun…and everything uses the same magicaliber ammunition.

You say everyone likes the quiet-type protagonist? Well not us – so we’ve transformed Isaac into a whiny, insecure dick-bag.

You appreciate the multifarious enemies with varied and specific weak points? Good news then: here’s a bunch of heads to shoot.

…as a soloist I’ll likely never get to experience the “other guy” introduced as your co-op partner in the beginning which is a drag…since he’s immediately more likeable than the new Isaac Clark…probably a bad sign.

Also, I could be too upset about this…I’m not sure.

• Archipelagos says:

Completely agreed. DS3 felt like a real backwards step for the franchise.

• akstro says:

And thats why I was glad when I thought the franchise was dead. Then they said its not :(

• KevinLew says:

EA has specifically “defended” the change in several interviews. The short answer is: “Horror games don’t make any money–action games do.” So they removed all the original ideas from their game, introduced co-op mode, and added a micropayment system. If EA does decide to make Dead Space 4, it would not surprise me if they add regenerating health and an extreme focus on PvP.

• c-Row says:

I guess they canned any sequels for the time being because they are too busy rolling around in all the money they made from Dead Space With A Vengeance, then.

• Nick says:

Yeah, its not like the Resident Evil series, the previous Dead Spaces or, say, The Walking Dead, made any money =/

• subedii says:

That depends. EA pretty directly said that the latest game needs to sell 5 million copies in order for the franchise to be viable.

Bear in mind, Dead Space 1 sold 1 million copies, and IIRC DS2 sold about 2 million.

• darkChozo says:

A suggestion: play a bit more before forming a full opinion. The first hour or so of DS3 is all story and one-hit-headshot human enemies. Once you get to the main bit of the game, it’s all necromorphs for at least a couple hours, and story is not quite as in-your-face. Still less horror-y and more action-y than the first game, but definitely more Dead Space than the prologue might lead you to believe.

• Ruffian says:

Also, if you enjoy the necromorphs being any kind of challenge to defeat at all, for gods sake, put the difficulty on impossible. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking toning the difficulty down soooo much but all the enemies for the first half of the game on normal are complete pushovers, which, for me at least, completely robbed the game of all it’s lonely/foreboding atmosphere. Once I made the switch though I had a lot more fun with it as I actually had to incorporate guns with knockback/strategic dismemberment and all that good stuff, plus actually getting to witness some of the games classic gruesome deaths, though ammo is still retardedly plentiful.

• F3ck says:

Well, I got several more hours into it and I’m done…

…this simply has too much in it that’s representative of everything I find wrong with games today…and I won’t endure another moment of it.

I don’t blame EA however.

People seem to be getting dumber…and so dumber games are what they want…supply and demand.

I know it might sound like I’m trying to be inflammatory – but I cannot imagine anyone (of moderate intelligence) playing the first, second, then third game in the series and not coming to the same conclusion: this is a fuck dialogue/story, fuck single-player, fuck PC, fuck the buyer out of every possible cent we can game.

5. postwar says:

I was surprised by Dead Space 3, so surprised that it’s a GOTY contender, in my opinion.

I thought it was a very Game-Y Game (if that makes any sense), it had a bunch of elements which all worked quite well. I loved the weapon customization & that alone pushed me into an immediate re-play (which I’ve almost never done for any game). Space exploration is well done when you’re salvaging, there is just the right number of side-quests and every one of them is huge with good pay-offs.

It’s not scary but I really didn’t look at it as a scary game, & quite honestly, I haven’t found any moment in the Dead Space series scary apart from my very first playthrough of the original game. It’s a very well done polished action game that manages to give you close to 20 hours of solid gameplay. It isn’t overly reliant on QTEs like Tomb Raider, it doesn’t feel like structurally disjointed like Hitman: Absolution, it just feels solid, polished, with tight gameplay.

I loved the mission structure, which I wish most action games would follow- a linear open to teach you the game’s rules leads to a mostly open free-form second act where you apply most of what you learned in the first act finally leading to a third-act where the plot ends are tied up, big boss fights happen and there’s some amount of catharsis with respect to characters you like.

What finally pushed the game to “very good” in my books is that it’s very optimized for the PC, even for kb+m layout.

TL;DR I really liked Dead Space 3. It’s solid.

• Malleus says:

I thought I was the only one. :) It’s a GOTY contender for me too, I really liked it.

6. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

“immediate re-play (which I’ve almost never done for any game). ”

” from my very first playthrough of the original game”

• postwar says:

“Immediate re-play.”

I’ve re-played the original Dead Space thrice, just not immediately.

7. Sardonic says:

I just finished Dead Space 3, it was pretty great. Will probably buy this.

I will say the ending to 3 pales in comparison to 2.

“…What?”

• postwar says:

Yeah, the ending was weird. Same kind of silliness as Mass Effect 2′s “Human Reaper.” “Oh no! The moon is a necromorph!”

But the game was great.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Deadspace 4: But really, humanity is the real necromorph. For reals.

• strangeloup says:

It sounds a bit like a Pete Molydeux idea.

“What if the moon was evil?”

• TsunamiWombat says:

It is exceedingly ironic that Deadspace 3 has more of the oldschool Sci-Fi Aesthetic in it (THE MOON IS EVIL) than Mass Effect 3. It’s like they slowly switched posistions. Dead Space became an action game with loot collecting elements, and Mass Effect 3 became something which horrifys me. And they swapped aesthetics.

8. strangeloup says:

I’m torn, because I’d quite like to play DS3 (first was good, I liked the second even better although that’s against general consensus, Extraction on the Wii is an excellent light-gun game, though the demo of 3 had a mixture of promising aspects and terrible ideas) but I feel disinclined to give EA any money.

I think I’d be more likely to get it on the consolebox in any case, as that’s where I have the first two, I don’t want to install Origin, and if DS2 was anything to go by, you might get some kind of in-game bonus for having saves from previous instalments. Suppose I’ll keep my eye on Savygamer to see if it crops up on a decent offer.