Defyance Is A Syfy Shooter With Frytful Guns

By Adam Smith on March 11th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Sy-Fy-Fo-Fum, I smell the walnut-infused mocchiatocinospresso of a marketing man. I still can’t quite believe that the Sci-Fi Channel is called the Syfy Channel now and I’m also bewildered by the fact that Defiance, an open-world shooter that is linked with a new TV series, actually looks quite good. It should be awful, clearly, because these sort of transmedia efforts have the dual stench of desperation and cynicism hanging off them like a Cary Grant clinging to a president’s face. The new trailer for Defiance is primarily interesting because the human characters are wielding some nasty biological weaponry, which I’d expected to be in the claws of their monstrous enemies. Take a look.

The Q of the Defiance world is basically a maniac.

“Oh, hi guys. Going out to shoot some bad guys today? Well, then, here is a gun that causes the target’s body to betray itself, erupting into a boiling mass of tumescent growths that stretch and distort, and then explode, unleashing parasitical roach-bastards that devour everything that’s made of meat and within a certain radius. Say, like, a mile. Defy that. Ha ha ha.

Here is another gun that is called the “spanner protector”. I don’t know why I call it that. I’ve also made a rocket launcher but instead of shooting the rockets at people, you shoot them above people and then the sky sort of rains explosions. I figured it’d be more fun that way.

And this mortar? You think a mortar is quite dull, right? Don’t sweat it. Me too. That’s why the shells from this bad boy cause the ground to swell, absorbing the enemy’s feet and pinning them in place so that an invisible person can snipe at them and laugh as they struggle in the mortar-muck.”

Terrifying.

Defiance will be available April 2nd.

, , .

1. Sian says:

I played a day or so in beta, but decided it wasn’t really worth more time. I like the concept of SciFi-Shooty-MMORPGs, but the quests in this one were so dreadfully dull. Every single one I did boiled down to: go there, use object, done. Sometimes there were enemies to fight, sometimes there weren’t. There are other events that pop up regularly, but they don’t really remove the tedium. And then there’s the fact that there are only 4 active skills, and you can only ever have one of them equipped. Yay for weapon variety, but the rest… meh.

I might be wrong and the game might get better later on or there might have been more added to it since the beta, but unless someone shows me otherwise, colour me not interested.

• razgon says:

There aren’t really many other ways of doing this kind of game than having “Go there and do this”, is there? I can’t actually think of a single RPG either that doesn’t follow the “Go here and do this” and sometimes there be enemies approach?
      I can tell though, that I had a base defend mission as well, and some other kind of missions, but basically all missions boil down to Go here and Do something.

Anyways – The game is actually a lot of fun, but its not at all 59.95 euros kind of fun.

• Sian says:

Every other MMORPG I know has at least the usual variants: the kill X amount of mobs quest, the gather X amount of item Y (possibly from mob Z) quest and the Dreaded Escort Quest™. Some even include riddles and puzzles, some have challenging and unique enemies. True, the possibilities are limited, but they do go beyond “walk (or drive*) there and be shown the exact locations of the two to three objects you need to interact with (by pressing one single button and waiting)”. In Defiance, I didn’t see much to mix this up and there was no challenge at all to boot.

*The driving physics, btw, can be summed up in two words: floaty, bumpy. Floaty, I think, needs no further explanation. Bumpy refers to the fact that a pebble can launch a vehicle in an entirely unexpected direction. Which is bad when you’re doing a time trial.

• Wreckdum says:

It’s not an MMORPG. It’s an MMOTPS. It’s a third person shooter in the open world. If you stop looking at it as a world of warcraft and look at it more as a giant open world shoot everything in the face it’s pretty dang good.

• Taidan says:

It gets better as time goes one, what with the ArcFalls and the increased variety of weapons, enemies and missions. The quality of the game itself has increased a lot over the last month, too.

I think that the main problem with it is that they’re also aiming the game at non-MMO experienced console owners, and have made the learning curve way, way too shallow for anybody who has played a similar game. I almost lost interest myself in the early stages.

When they tougher enemies do roll out and the larger-scale group action started happening, the game improves drastically. How long it can hold that level of interest for, I have no idea. It’ll help if the story and TV show turn out well.

• Taidan says:

I’ll also mention: Managed to pick up a pre-purchase of the full game over at Green Man Gaming for about £26, with one of the codes on their front page. Worth keeping an eye out there, if you are interested.

• serioussgtstu says:

My main gripe with the game, based on my time with it during a beta weekend was the lack of interesting enemy types. I only encountered two types of enemies, mutants and crab-bugs; and looking at the defiance website there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot more than that, other than bandits, cyborgs and a robot.

I did enjoy the shooting mechanics, it felt really good to be rewarded for getting a head shot in an MMO. Also, the vehicle physics are garbage but it was beta, I suppose.

• ZephaniahGrey says:

Yeah…just mutants, bugs, bandits, robots and cyborgs…nothing interesting. WHAT!? What the hell kind of enemies do you want? Bears riding unicorns!? Damn you people are jaded!

• Mudlab says:

Sounds like par for the course for yet another Trion game…

• Ashley_Hoskin says:

like Wendy explained I’m dazzled that a mom able to profit $7763 in four weeks on the internet. have you read this site… http://zapit.nu/30J

2. Giuseppe says:

I hate this “Syfy” nonsense. Unless it stands fro syencefyction and I wasn’t aware of this “new” genre.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It simply marks the point at which the Sci-Fi Channel was able to leave its shameful science fiction roots behind and finally fully embrace its destiny of wrestling and reality shows.

Because who watched the Sci-Fi Channel for science fiction anyway? I mean, what profit is there in being the only channel dedicated to a popular genre, when you could abandon that and go head to head with all the other blandtertainment channels and compete for a slice of a heavily contested pie?

• Sian says:

Well, wrestling is applied physics with made-up storylines, so… Reality TV… Er… well, it’s fiction, ok? I guess the science is finding out the lowest common denominator.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Sometimes I have trouble telling where the wrestling ends and the reality TV begins. They have their commitment to veracity and their many, varied, and plausible characters in common.

• King in Winter says:

Soon, their innumerable hell-spawn will coalsece into a single entity called REAL TV that shouts ‘I am real, your life is not!’

Actually they’re kind of doing that already.

• Arglebargle says:

Syfy!: It really marks the point where they discovered they couldn’t trademark the name Sci-Fi. The original management team had no interest in, understanding of, or respect for the genre; hence the terrible, cheap movie meme of the month productions, and the move to wrestling, etc. There seems to be a new crew in management now. Hopefully they are better, as they’d have to work terribly hard to be worse.

3. derella says:

I spent a few hours on it a couple of weeks ago. It felt like the release date was much closer than it should be. I’m sure things could be polished and improved between now and then, but I wouldn’t bet $60 on it. It’ll probably be 50% a month after release anyway — if memory serves, Rift was.

4. Tei says:

Some comments about the weapons:

infector: I don’t know what to do with this type of weapons. Maybe I am dumb, but don’t feel very efective. Maybe a blue or a legendary could be good? you need a high level on this type of gun?
    maggun: its a cool medic gun, with original properties. And since don’t need ammo, could be a good backup weapon if you are stuck on a very long battle/dungeon and run out of bullets.
    rocket launcher: I like them for the sheer massive DPS, some of them come with multiple warheads, lock-on and other weird properties, … Borderlands rocket launchers wish where more like Defiance RL.
    grenade launcher: AOE damage, good ammo, fast firing. What not to like? theres even versions with weird cool abilties, like bouncing on walls or glue to enemies, or wait for manual detonation, or only god know what else.
    shotguns: there are very good shotgun and very bad ones. the ones that are good **destroy** punks at small distance. If you find one with elemental damage, oods are will be your best weapon for a good time.
    plasma-ish like weapons: mostly automatic files… are fun weapons that shot a lot doing very litte damage each plasma shell .. you feel very science-fiction-y using one. Are cool as hell. If you find a good one could be your best weapon.
    machine guns: Sorry rambo, but I don’t find machine-guns interesting. Slow firing bullets with low damage each bullet? meh… even if you can stay shotting the other guys, you want to kill the other guys fast, or move to cover.
    smgs: there are great SMG’s that feel like oneshooting anything you can aim. get one with elemental damage to put thing on fire or with corrosion.
    pistols: there are good pistols and the pistols feel good. but for what a pistol is, why no use a SMG?
    smg pistols: then you get a pistol with automatic fire, a good elemental damage and is like one of your best SMG.
    other types: hard to tell, I have seen many weapons that are cool and unique in a unique way, but that.. where cool weapons. Some of them Uber.

I love all the weapons, except the infector and the machine guns. The thing is… you will probably have a inventory filled with 20+ different weapons, and you will like them all for different motives. And you may need a weapon of every different type, for wen you run out of ammo, but not out of enemies, and you need to use a different weapon type because you still have ammo of that type.

5. clippa says:

I kind of enjoyed the beta. It definitely had that warm, cosy, comforting, brainless, MMO compulsive repetition thing going on but as Sian says, it was a little flat. The shooting is a bit lightweight.
    Good controls, no acceleration or anything, although the sensitivity when aiming down sights could do with being a little faster for my taste.
    Couldn’t get a framerate reading but felt nice and fast, nothing to worry about there.
    The FOV could do with a little widening across the board, slightly uncomfortable but it didn’t stop me playing.

The massive issue I had with it thought, and this is a biggy, there is aim snapping, on mouse and keyboard! I kid ye not. I hope to god that it’s just a leftover from pad support and it’s being patched out and isn’t some new level of dumbing down, but aye, it’s there and it’s very generous.
    I asked them about it on the beta forums but as usual, no reply.

My theory is, is that the assault rifle is the (I hate this word, but) “noob” weapon. Like how fallout 3 had VATS for people who weren’t too hot with the shooting and just wanted to play it like a dice rolling rpg. I say this because the aim snapping only seems to happen with that gun so I think it might be intentional, later on when I found some more guns, using a sniper rifle and shotgun combo made the combat much more fun and interesting.
    If aim snapping is there in pvp, that’ll be a write off but the pve was fun, the challenge ramped up quite nicely the more I played, there were more and harder enemies and I was having to use a cover and stuff and I was having fun.
    No subscription fees, I’ll probably be getting it, not great but good. Felt a lot like a well optimised version of the firefall beta if you’ve played that.
    It’s like borderlands in the respect that the combat is what you make of it, you have to challenge yourself, don’t use the recoil-free assault rifle that snaps onto folk and you can just spray them from 3 miles away, use the sniper rifle, go for head shots, that type of thing.

6. mseifullah says:

I’ve been playing a fair amount — from the first test weekend all the way up to this most recent extended test round. The game feels like a mix of Gears of War-lite and Borderlands-lite, all put into a nice MMO-setting.

For what the game is trying to be and trying to do, it’s actually quite fun, and it’s worth playing — at least in short bursts. Now, honestly, I’m not sure if it’s worth the $60 USD launch price for anything but the most eager of fans, but when this goes on sale for 50% off, it will definitely be worth picking up.

I’d say it’s not worth $60 because, like Gears of War and Borderlands, the basic formula never changes: you go from one location to another and shoot tougher and tougher bad guys. And that’s not a bad thing since the basic shooting is satisfying, but it does mean that you might start to get bored during extended sessions. The game just needs some quests/missions that don’t involve shooting everything to death interspersed with the ones that do.

For what it’s worth, there are optional Time Trial races and Horde Mode challenges littered across the game world and that helps keep things interesting, especially if you’re interested in seeing your name near the top of a leaderboard.

It’s a fresh setting for an MMO (terraformed future Earth, alien settlers, and Wild Wild West tone) and it’s a fresh genre for an MMO (3rd-person, over the shoulder, shoot’em up). And it’s subscription free.

If I had the money, I’d pick it up on launch. Since I don’t have the money, I’ll wait for a sale. Either way, I do see myself playing this game post-release.

7. Kyber says:

Is it bad that when I read “Q” I thought of Star Trek instead of James Bond? I blame John de Lancie being in Assassin’s Creed 3.

• mseifullah says:

I immediately thought of Star Trek’s Q as well, but wasn’t that the intended reference? Or no?

• Asurmen says:

I think it meant Q of James Bond. What a crazy inventor of gadgets and weapons would be like when crazy and lacking in morals.

8. ScatheZombie says:

So, this game is 3 weeks until launch and, from my perspective, things aren’t looking too good. I mean, just look at the Steam page.

1) The game has been up for about a week and it’s still only 14% to the *first* preorder reward with only 3 weeks to go. Either their expectations for preorders were *way* over target or their preorder numbers suck majorly.

2) The rewards themselves are pretty weak. Reward 1: Exclusive title, +5 inventory slots (which you can actually purchase in game anyway), and a non-exclusive ATV. Reward 2: RIFT, for one month, since only the base game comes with a free month and Storm Legion does not – sometimes copying WoW is not the best idea. Reward 3: More stuff you can get in game that’s completely non-exclusive. Oh, and an undisclosed discount off an unpriced and rather nondescript “Season Pass”. In fact, one of the Season Pass links is broken (and has been since it went up a week ago). The other redirects you to Steam page that lists the Season Pass as the “first 5 DLC packs” – but nothing solid on what they are (other than “more stuff”), when they’ll be out, what price they might be without the season pass, or whether or not some DLC will NOT be in the Season Pass, as many games have decided to do nowadays.

3) The “Deluxe” edition is $100. $40 extra bucks for some cosmetic shit and XP boosts. Seriously?

Anyway, as much as I’m not a fan of him, Jim Sterling goes over some of the rather unhealthy and potentially unethical practices surrounding pre-ordering shit like this. I’m getting a really big vibe from the pricing, marketing, and general community response (to the quality of the game) that Trion is kind of expecting a huge disappointment and is just trying to get as many poor saps to dump $60-$100 (or more once we find out WTF the Season Pass costs) in pre-orders to a sub-par game. I suppose time will tell, but I haven’t heard much good out of the beta, haven’t had much fun with the game itself, and have a pretty suspect eye on the “bonuses” and “DLC” shit. Just saying, when your game’s beta response ranges mostly from “it’s shit” to “meh”; probably not a good sign – coupled with a $100 “Deluxe” edition that appears to have fuck-all extra seems kinda cash-grabby before gamers find out the game is trash.

• perran7691 says:

Woops! I guess Steam met their pre-order bonuses with plenty of time to spare.

9. scottossington says:

EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDFEDF EDF EDF

10. Uncompetative says:

What was cynical about Roger Thornhill not wanting to fall off Mount Rushmore?

11. geldonyetich says:

I like the creators of Rift and want to support them… but there are a few things that make me kind of apprehensive about this game:

* Sci-Fi with Guns Adtiony MMORPG. How’d that work out for Tabula Rasa? How’d that work out for Auto Assault?

* I know this is post-apocolyptic and all, but those giant ugly monster designs kind of disgust me. I’m not saying they’re badly wrought, technically they look excellent, but the designs are just horrifying, like they’re out of a bad dream. That works well enough for a horror game, but for a persistent state that I’m supposed to develop a character and have a stake in? I don’t think I want to be in the same virtual world with those abominations.

* The initial trailer was heavy on showing giant masses of players zerging around to defeat giant mutant mudbugs. Speaking as an introvert (as most online computer gamers are) I’m just a bit put off at the group mentality. Apparently an individual’s contribution is so useless we have to roll around in giant clumps pewpewpewing until the thing falls over? How boring.

The sad thing is, I just know this game is going to use persistent state dynamic content, and that’s a very good thing I want to see supported in an online environment. But the above issues are going to make other developers think it’s a bad thing when Defiance tanks.

• zeekthegeek says:

I can answer for why it didn’t work out for Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault: NCSoft are a terrible company and have no idea what they’re doing at basically any time. I thought both those games were quite brilliantly different.

12. navyknight says:

Do people the buy the game have a way to watch the show through the game or do you have to have cable to keep up with whats going on in the show?

13. rihanna720 says:

If you are looking for an online work from home then you are recommend checking out the hugely popular site below. It’s definitely the most-financially rewarding I’ve ever done.You can Work anytime. Don’t waste your time any more, Start Earning Money from Home with Google now! http://tw.gs/YbVcey
    (Go to site and open ‘Home’ for details)

14. clownst0pper says:

Ughh.. looks awful.

15. bstard says:

Can I do ‘Shoot N boars’ in this game? That might be worth the 100euro’s.