A Dishonorer Is You: Proper Dishonored DLC Teased

By Alec Meer on March 12th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Nice gloves. Bit kinky?

This shouldn’t really get its own post grumble grumble because it’s just a tease grumble grumble, but if I only give it a couple of lines there’s no harm done. Wait, did I just hear the sound of kitten being killed? WHAT HAVE I DONE?

We’ve been waiting forever* for proper Dishonored DLC – story stuff, meaty stuff, not just challenge map stuff. As previously announced this appears to star… oh, spoilers, of a sort, if you continue. You have been warned.

…appears to star Daud, the rival assassin hired to frame Corvo and kill the Empress at the start of the main game. There were hints as to this chap being up to additional shenanigans in parallel to Corvo’s adventures in Dishonored itself, and of course his having an ostensibly very similar set of abilities to our masked hero makes him ideally suited to be dropped in for new missions, without Arkane having to change too much.

The question is, what can he and can’t he do? Will he be revisiting places we’ve already seen, or blessed with brand new chunks of Dunwall to murder his way through? This officially-tweeted screenshot, bearing with it a promise of more fulsome news tomorrow, very strongly suggests we will indeed get to kill the Empress, and that there may be companion assassins. It’s that latter which promises the most change to the formula, if indeed it’s something which happens in-game and not merely in scripted sequences. But we shall see. Tomorrow.

* Alright, alright, a few months.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jikid says:

But … who actually wants to be the one to kill her?

• Anthile says:

Yeah, the reason why games like Dishonered, Assassin’s Creed or Hitman work is because your targets are far worse people than the protagonists (for the most part, anyways).
      I wonder how they plan on making it work.

• Ysellian says:

Yeah I’m going to be skipping this. Not going to kill the empress that’s for sure.

• GoliathBro says:

Me three. I’m not gonna pay extra money to get to kill the empress.

• PopeRatzo says:

Wait, the empress dies?

• The Random One says:

And that’s how you choose to break the news to me?

You insensitive jerk, we were friends!

• Damien Stark says:

SPOILER: Yes, she dies at the beginning of the game.
        DOUBLE SPOILER: But late in the game, you find out she didn’t really die.
        SUPER SPOILER: That’s not true at all. She really died, I just made that last part up.
        ACTUAL SPOILER: Pretty sure she’s the Heart.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

Murder is okay until it’s someone I don’t approve of!

• dE says:

Nah, now don’t be drifting into politics here…

• Jikid says:

Well, the thing with Dishonored is that it’s mostly about indulgence. The way your actions affect Emily and the city might be considered as something the game wants to have an opinion on that could be contemplated and argued, but overall, considering how much work they’ve invested in making killing people as fun as possible and free of consequences that matter to the player (a sadder cinematic in the end doesn’t feel like much of a punishment when there’s so little reason to actually care), their message doesn’t feel like it matters.

So no, I don’t want to kill her just for the reason of getting paid to do it, because I’m pretty sure the game will say nothing smart about being paid to kill good people (or the difference between killing people I like and don’t like, for that matter). And it’s not that they don’t necessarily want to say smart things, it’s just that it doesn’t come out well enough.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I’m glad we’re on the same page here.

• Jackablade says:

We don’t really know anything about her beyond the fact the general populace seemed to like her, she kept things relatively orderly and that she slept with her bodyguard at some point. I dare say there’s every chance that the “loveable Empress” thing will turn out to be a sham and she’ll be just as twisted and amoral as all the other characters in the game. Keeping Dunwall from descending in to chaos would probably require some less than virtuous decision making at times.

I wonder if we’ll have to ***Spoilerish***
      cut out her heart and hand it to Lucifer
      ***Less Spoilerish***

• Jikid says:

I hope not (regarding the heart). One of the saving graces of the original game was that out of all the predictable twists this was the one of the few they managed to avoid. :P

• phuzz says:

more spoilersish

You remember the tell-tale heart that helps you find runes etc.?
          Who’s heart did you think that was?

• Jikid says:

Continuing your spoilery.

I did think they might try to twist us by telling us at some point that it’s her heart, but they didn’t, at least not in the main storyline. This is why I said they avoided this predictability in the game.

However, after reading the Dishonored wiki, it seems that they do consider the heart to be of the empress which I consider cheap (and which only further emphasizes how lacking in originality they really were). At least they didn’t point it out too blatantly in the game (for example, despite being an avid user of the heart, I never encountered any of the hints listed there).

• Snowskeeper says:

@Jikid, you probably should have listened more closely, then. ;) I’m not going to say that the story of Dishonored wasn’t predictable–it was–but things like Granny Rags’ backstory, the Torturer’s, etc. were really fun for us (the Dishonored wikia) to uncover and try to make sense of.

• Jikid says:

@Snowskeeper I actually used the heart a lot, it really added some depth to an otherwise rather shallow game (although I was disappointed to hear later on that the servants at the Inn – of whom one happened to be one of my favourite characters in the game – weren’t actually considered distinct individuals by the heart), but obviously not as dedicatedly as you guys. :P Funny though, I had to twist my memory a bit to actually remember what the heart had said about Rags and Torturer. I think I considered them interesting, but ultimately not resonant enough for me personally. :P

Btw, when googling for dishonored wiki earlier, it was very relieving and pleasing to find it actually exists, so thanks for all the good work. :P These kinds of wikis are very useful for the interested observers.

• maninahat says:

I suspect they will fix it so that if you hesitate to kill her, one of your cohorts will do it instead. A large part of Daud’s character is his regret for what he’s done, and I imagine many players will share that regret on the way to the Empress’ palace. That sounds a lot more involved than the ruthless disinterest people typically feel when playing Corvo, the voiceless drone who does everything he’s told.

Another note: if we are playing Daud, then his outfit is different from normal. He normally wears huge gloves that go all the way up his arms and a red jacket, not small gloves that tuck under a black jacket like in the picture. Interesting.

• Snowskeeper says:

Corvo was only an emotionless drone if you played him that way. I snuck past everything in the game, and never once felt the way you said I apparently did. =P

2. CaspianRoach says:

Meanwhile in Russia we still wait for the release of Dunwall City Trials. Why won’t they just let me buy the english version? Sadface.

• elfbarf says:

)))))))))))))))))))

• Malleus says:

Yeah, same here in Hungary too.

I’m not sure if I should be glad that I bought this on GMG – I won’t be able to buy DLCs for it on steam, since I’m eastern region and GMG version is west, but at this point I’m not even sure if east will have DLCs at all. Hopefully GMG will sell western DLC codes and I’ll be able to activate them … what a mess…

• Eddard_Stark says:

I’ve been buying normal English versions from GMG too lately but Dishonored seems to be the first game that is unavailable even there due to region restrictions :/ This trend with region or even worse, language limitations is getting increasingly annoying. Publishers, give us already the opportunity to pay full price for regular English versions of the games that you can play anywhere.

• DiGi says:

Yeah, great RHCP version. I discovered this after buying Dishonored. I will never buy anything from Bethesda.

• Rosveen says:

Poland here, City Trials are of course unavailable. I only played Dishonored because it was a gift – after the Skyrim situation I decided to never buy a regionally restricted game again. I’m glad Skyrim’s problem was solved, but the majority of recent Bethesda’s games are still locked on Steam. Oh well. If they’re going to treat me like a second-class customer and restrict me from buying the English version, they can shove it.

• kdz says:

Cheers. Yesterday I decided it would be nice to play some Dishonored again and thought that a bit-sized DLC, like Dunwall City Trials, might be an excellent way to do that. Went to the Steam Store and was shocked when it turned out it is not available in Poland. I was sure that the whole ZeniMax/Bethesda versus mid-eastern Europe kerfuffle ended when we got Skyrim and RAGE DLC.

Sad face :<

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The Internet has no oceans, Bethesda.

• klmx says:

Your page is just too much

3. coldvvvave says:

I can’t believe I didn’t like Dishonored. I wanted to like it so much but it was one of the most boring games ever.

• Brun says:

I got bored with it too. Eventually I started forgoing Ghost completions and engaging in combat just to make things interesting.

• WrenBoy says:

Pretty much this. The art direction and the sense of place are great but I cant be bothered finishing it. Couple of nice moments though.

• Iskariot says:

I don’t get it.
      Bored?
      With Dishonored?

Human diversity seems boundless.

• Brun says:

The gameplay wasn’t that compelling. The powers made you too good at everything.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Maybe you’re just too pro bro. I played it stealthily and still got seen a lot, then fought whoever saw me and still died a lot against multiple enemies. That was on hardest difficulty.

• Smarag says:

Really? You got seen a lot? You just blink behind them and stab them. Or stun them quickly using that quick stun perk. If there are 2 you just shoot them both in the head with the crossbow. Once you have the time stop you can just stop the time and kill like all 5 enemies that are near you.

Also quick saving / quick reloading gives you a semi god mod anyway. That’s the way it should be though.

• Iskariot says:

What difficulty did you play at? Never play games at standard difficulty settings.

And … if you want to play stealthy “just blinking behind the enemy” can only be done in certain situations. Very often this was impossible to do.
          You have to set your own goals and in a way create your own narrative to get the most out of games that give you the tools to do so.

• derbefrier says:

Even at the highest difficulty it was too easy. By the 3 or 4th level I was so bored of sneaking around becasue it wasnt a challenge I just started killing everyone and even then the fear of dying was almost non existant. The powers you get just seem to break the game in my opinion. They aren’t balanced at all and way to OP. I never finished it. It was just too easy and the story sucked so I didn’t see any point in finishing it.

• WrenBoy says:

While I can appreciate the beauty of much of the game I do find it boring.

The magic makes the player overpowered in both combat and stealth to the extent that a couple of simple repetitive tricks get you through every situation and I found it difficult to resist using boring but safe options even though I didnt enjoy them.

I can understand how playing the game as sandbox and treating the levels as toys would be more satisfying but it the game is structured as a linear narrative so that is how I naturally played it.

I feel I would probably prefer the challenge maps for this reason but cant justify buying them since I didnt even finish the main game.

• AlwaysRight says:

I agree with Iskariot. I loved every second of my 30 hours with Dishono(u)red.
        So much so that I’m currently reading out each of your negative comments in a John Major voice, just to make myself feel better. So there.

• dE says:

The game is at odds with itself. I blame the chaos system. Here’s a bunch of interesting skills. Don’t you dare use them though.

• KenTWOu says:

I blame it too. They should hide it like Metro 2033 did.

• Voon says:

Straight out of my thoughts. We could argue that the chaos system was there because of the Outsider “testing” you whether you’re “good” or “a monster like the rest of them but you know, the game said that the more people I kill, the worse the plague is going to be, meaning high chaos. Although, even with boring, stealthy shadow kills which turns them to nothing but invisible ash with no hope of spreading the disease would still contribute to the chaos meter. Bullshit.

4. karthink says:

Well, yay.

Here’s hoping Arkane have learnt their lessons and will provide some proper characterization to the cast this time. Daud was quite palatable as a character anyway, at least compared to the conspirators and the outsider.

EDIT: And oh, at least Daud has no reason to be nonviolent about anything he does. Here’s hoping the silly chaos system is out and there’s a more thoughtful way in place for the world to react to your actions and style of play.

5. phelix says:

Ooh, we get to play assasin cult ninja this time around! Colour me intrigued! I quite liked the assassins faction in Dishonored. Now I just hope they stay true to the original lore that implies that those assassins use the outsiders magic tricks quite differently (not just the ‘super tattouage’ bollocks).

6. aliksy says:

Are spoilers a thing for dishonored? Because things happened to that guy in my game. mouseover spoiler?

7. Runs With Foxes says:

The only ‘proper’ DLC is story content? Story wasn’t really Dishonored’s strong point, and I think the trials DLC did a better job of displaying its strengths than forced storytelling could. The trials demanded a mastery of the game’s mechanics, which might be horrifying to the strong contingent of emotionmen on this website, but it demonstrated the game’s solid design. I don’t even know why you’d play Dishonored if you just wanted to be led through a nice story.

• cuj0 says:

For me, the story, or rather the world, was the most interesting part. The plot itself was rather predictable, but the world the game took place in was filled with unanswered questions and details only alluded to. The gameplay was fantastic, but for me it was the world that I wanted more of. All the little things mentioned in the arse loads of books and letters, the Outsider and his followers, the rest of the world; there was so much left unsaid and undone. For me, any further games or DLC could never include Corvo as the PC himself. He’s too tied in to the main plotline to be able to be used effectively in expanding the game world, so someone like Daud or his followers would be perfect for such activities.

8. Drinking with Skeletons says:

They should never have given the player Blink (that is unlock it from the start, not include it in the game). It was far too useful; even though the levels were completable without it, it was so good (and fun, to be fair) that I could never really force myself to try significantly different tactics. Sure, the game has a theoretical ton of replayability, but when one power is so obviously useful for so many situations, and you have that power at all times, that replayability only exists if you can force yourself to play in a way that’s totally at odds for how you would normally play.

In comparison, many people complain about Human Revolution because you’ll get all of the powers by the end (more or less). However, “by the end” means that for 80% or more of the game you lock yourself out of many options based on your choices. I had a much more meaningful replay of Human Revolution than Dishonored because I could make choices and be forced to live with them (and enjoy them) rather than always having one extremely useful power that I would have to restrain myself from using.

• TCM says:

I agree with these words.

• woodsey says:

I think it would have been preferable for there to be only 1 level of Blink, so that you couldn’t upgrade it. I had less of a problem with it being given to you, although I wouldn’t complain if it were a purchase as well.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

You aren’t wrong. Level 1 blink is extremely useful, Level 2 blink is nearly gamebreaking. Why you wouldn’t upgrade it (unless you were willfully limiting yourself) is beyond me.

• Ich Will says:

Same with the ability that let you see through walls, it was way overpowered!

• Yglorba says:

Not coincidentally, those are the only two “active” powers that don’t consume any permanent mana.

Another part of the problem was that, for the most part, the mana-consuming powers boiled down to “spend mana and resolve this problem instantly.” You really only needed one of them (maybe two if you want to unlock specific tricks, but it’s really overkill. Anything you can resolve with Bend Time you can resolve with Possession or by summoning rats.) And all of them boil down to “use at a few specific points in the mission” things.

Naturally the powers you can use all the time are going to win out.

(This ignores the bone charm that let you regenerate unlimited free mana from faucets, because seriously that was gamebreaking.)

• Jackablade says:

The design kinda feels like it was balanced for a version of the game where health and mana potions were much, much less commonly found in the game world. This would, I think, solve most of the problems of the magic being too powerful and the game generally being far too easy, even on the higher difficulties.

• KenTWOu says:

What he said.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Blink — while easy enough to ignore — was a huge mood killer for me, and it only highlighted the fact that the developers were too preoccupied with making a game that relied heavily on overpowered gimmicks. The end result was an action-centric game peppered with extremely shallow stealth mechanics. Boring indeed.

9. sbs says:

I like the idea that you play another character in the same Timeline, like in Opposing Force and Blueshift for HL. Colour me interested.

10. PopeRatzo says:

I’m not sure why, because I did enjoy the game, but I’m really tired of the Dishonored universe for some reason.

I don’t have any interest in going back to play it again as a different character. I might be persuaded to look into another game with a new character who had similar powers.

They’re going to have to do better than this. I’m starting to think that steampunk’s sell-by date is fast approaching. Hearing that something was “steampunk” used to make the juices flow, and now it’s kind of embarrassing all around.

11. Citrus says:

This game was way too easy and story predictable cliche-fest that surprised only imbeciles. I can’t believe people actually compare it to Thief series.

Now apparently Thief 4 will turn into similar shitpile with spidey sense tingling away while Garret kills/beats up a hundred people to avenge his parents, who were shot with bows behind some Shakespearean play on “that fateful night”. He will be the thief no one wants but we deserve for calling Dishonor like games “stealthy”.

• Yglorba says:

(Spoilers)

Me, shouting at the screen: “NO YOU IDIOT, DON’T DRINK THE OBVIOUS POISON. Jesus christ you were a professional bodyguard, what the hell is wrong with you? How could anyone who was more than six years old fall for that?”

It was particularly annoying because the game kept playing up “PLAY YOUR WAY” and “YOUR CHOICES MATTER” then forced you to step into a glaringly obvious and painfully foreshadowed trap. (Yes, alright, by the time the third person pointed out to me that the other conspirators were jealous of me and that my closeness to Emily probably threatens them, I got the message.)

The worst part is that it wasn’t even necessary. The game could have let you choose not to drink and given you a way to reveal that the other conspirators were betraying you; it still could have forced you back onto the rails (have them threaten Emily to force you to drink — have them remove her from the area before you even get back from the last mission, so you can’t use your powers to do anything. It’s what I’d have done in their shoes.) It was just lazy writing.

The fact that they didn’t even bother to make sure you were dead was hilariously stupid, especially given that (again) at least one of them is a professional killer who should know better… or the fact that they trusted Samuel as part of their plan, when he would have obviously been on the “kill this guy to cover things up” list and wouldn’t have been stupid enough not to realize this.

12. sk0pe says:

i was so hoping to get to know more about Daud. where he came from, his connection with the Outsider, how he got to kill the empress…. and hopefully i will get all this. and even more? we’ll see. i’m excited anyhow. he is the most interesting character in the game imo.
    though i think the DLC will end with Daud getting the assignment. we know the story from there on.

Comment on this story