A Call To Arms: Planetside 2 Tomorrow Night

By Jim Rossignol on March 13th, 2013 at 1:30 pm.

Right! Tomorrow night: Planetside 2, EU server “Miller”. Everyone get your fighting trousers on, and get in there. The game is free to play, so you have no excuses. It’s Strategic Thursday for Vanu, which means getting on Mumble, getting in the outfit, and working together to explode things. It’s the most fun I’ve had all year. And I have a lot of fun. Too much, perhaps. Also you don’t have to go purple, because there’s even an NC outfit, which is welcoming new freedom fighters every day.

People of North America: perhaps you can organise a similar gathering in your own timezone?

Members of outfits that are not RPS: bring it. SPREAD THE WORD.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Toberoth_Syn says:

You have my bow.

2. AnotherGamingEnglishman says:

This is why server transfers need to be available. PS2 is so time-consuming, and I’ve already invested so much time in a VS character on Ceres, it’s difficult to bring myself to invest time in making a new character from scratch D:

• EsotericReverie says:

Just roll a new character if you want to join in. It should be fun anyway!

• jellydonut says:

The problem with that is that every minute spent logged in on a different character feels like a waste when the xp is going to the wrong character instead of the right one. D:

I am also on Ceres, and I’ve invested a lot in HA, engineer, and the Vanguard. Wrong server, RPS dudes!

• Cooper says:

Nope, right server. We are on the busiest server alongwith some excellent outfit allies.

I would recommend you roll a character on Miller for tomorrow night. It’ll be enough of a blast that the lack of certs for your main character won;t feel like a ‘waste’.

• jellydonut says:

Well, I prefer the server to not be *that* busy. Means there’s both huge fights, but also the opportunity for me and my 3 friends to strike out on our own without immediately getting wtfpwned.

• appropriate touching says:

I was going to post this too, except with Woodman and a bit of whining that I’ve played quite a lot of the game and still can’t afford a dual-AA Max or a shotgun. Levelling up is anti-fun.
      (Game is otherwise good, and I recommend giving it a quick go to see the amazing stuff that happens, but play as a tourist rather than for the long, long haul…)

3. Svant says:

Bring the PEW PEW PEW PEW!

4. Danny252 says:

Yay Giraffes!

Of course, Rock Planet Shotgun play every night of the week – so you’ll find us around no matter what evening you turn up on!

5. bstard says:

F2P peasantry can be fun? Well I never. Might even check it out.

6. RaveTurned says:

PSA: fighting trousers are hand wash only, unless you need an excuse to get a new washing machine. Not making that mistake again in a hurry.

7. Vorphalack says:

Maybe it is time to log back in and see how the game is coming along. I do miss my Magrider.

8. pakoito says:

Downloading. A link to anything resembling a 5 minutes tutorial would help me not shoot my partners in the back like I did at gamescom because fuck colorblindness.

PS: If you’re the guy that let me in, thanks again ^^

9. neolith says:

I’d like to try PS2, but have never played it before. Can I join in as a clueless newbie?

• RIDEBIRD says:

Very much so! We will setup a platoon specifically for this if we can find enough teachers.

• basicpauly says:

Yeah, as Ride says, Im sure we can set up something! We have a lot of decent guys with us in the Giraffes!

Alongside that, we have discussed having tutorial nights where some of us can help each other get to grips with life in purple spandex, or just run some drills!

Brilliant place if you want a mix of both tactical and casual play. We have an AWESOME monday night gathering where we go full on silly.

• Dr_Barnowl says:

Clueless noobs welcome. We need people to stand at the front and absorb bullets. Or stand at the back and revive the clueless noobs at the front.

Play as a medic laying it on thick with the medigun, or as an engineer supplying ammo packs, and you should earn enough points to stick shiny new sights on your gun in no time.

• Cooper says:

Newbies are very much welcome.

The whole purpose of the outfit is to provide a place for readers of RPS to try out Planetside 2. To that end we have no requirements to join in terms of personal skill or time available. We only ask for a desire to shoot lasers and that everyone is excellent to one another.

We will be making arrangements for new players so that they are not thrown right in at the deep end.

Unless they like that, of course. We’re not gonna force anyone to have their hand held, but we will organise basic orientation stuff for those totally new.

• Thurgret says:

It’s pretty easy. You point at stuff, click, and lasers come out.

10. Andrews says:

WASP will be there to destroy your little scientology orgy.

• RIDEBIRD says:

You wont outnumber us 3 to 1 t his time as usual, so you’ll have to actually put some effort in this time ;)

• Andrews says:

A quick reference on http://outfitpoints.com shows that you’ve had, in fact, twice the active numbers compared to us during the last 30 days. It’s reassuring to know that the might of NC is of such great proportion, it makes it seem like every WASP is fighting for 3 of your spandex laden soldiers of love. :P

• Cooper says:

I asuume Ride meant in general. VS has been significantly outnumbered on Miller for over a month now…

• RIDEBIRD says:

I actually meant only WASP – but I sort of bunch the NCTO together as you never leave eachothers side. Regardless, I don’t think we have _ever_ fought you guys alone as you seemingly never are.

• BarneyL says:

Can we add “spandex laden soldiers of love” to the outfit description somewhere?

• MrEclectic says:

To be fair, I think that you guys did a culling of inactive players, so you don’t field the numbers that you used to. Always fun and exciting to meet you on the field anyhow, corporate lap dogs. Love and plasma orbs of doom, the technozealots!

11. Svant says:

Read here for some after action reports on previous strategic nights: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?9869-AAR-StratGir-2013-02-28

Everyone is welcome for some Giraffe-disco-battle!

Oh and stay the hell away from Ridebirds Galaxies, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq_LxNyoXUA

12. testman3 says:

No TR outfit? :S

13. StormTec says:

I just wanted to post this, in reference to fighting trousers:

14. mentor07825 says:

RAAAAGH! MY GUN FOR VANU!!

15. iItsFrozn says:

Any Terran Republic players are more than welcome to hop over to ts3.goonbrigade.com teamspeak channel and join the fight with Goon Brigade(goonbrigade.com). We shall show those VS and NC traitors who rules over all auraxis!

• RIDEBIRD says:

You guys really don’t need more people :(

• iItsFrozn says:

You always need more people! We have people always dropping out for real life reasons, or they just got bored, besides this game relies a lot on numbes. Oh and people think we are a lot bigger than we really are :P We just take full advantage of the men we have at our hands ;)

• MrEclectic says:

:/ We’re not referring specifically to you, GOON. There are just enough TR going around. More, and the server (Miller) would become lopsided and lose some of its amazing competitive and exciting atmosphere.

• iItsFrozn says:

Ok i will give you that, but i would say its mostly due to us having a lot of knowledgeable PS1 veterans as leaders and our inter outfit co operation is very advanced at this point. So to sum up i doubt we have a lot bigger population, the organized part just does it’s job damn well

16. Jorum says:

I doubt I’ll be free at 7.30 sadly – might be able to log in late evening and maybe just turn up solo and get killed for a bit.

17. TheMick says:

I’m in the US, really wish I could play with the UK rpsers it sounds like a blast… anyone know how the trans Atlantic lag is between players in one spot and a server hosted in the other?

On behalf of VanuKids On The Block (VKB, Waterson), good hunting.

• Ragnar says:

It’s there an RPS group on the North American servers?

• Hexagonal Pensioner says:

I’ve no personal experience in playing cross continent, however, the VS RPS contingent have had a couple of people based in US playing on a EU server and they’ve not complained about lag. So it may well be worth a go.

18. Cerzi says:

I loved PS1 back in the beta / early release days, yet I can’t seem to find any excitement for the new one, to the extent that I haven’t even tried it yet. Am I being a fool?

19. Hmm-Hmm. says:

You know, Jim, I would like to, but I doubt my lowly iMac which wasn’t all that great when I got it will run PS2 decently. Yes, yes I do need a new computer.

20. Duke of Chutney says:

so the Vanu scum will rise again?

What is the Rossignols game name, and where does he lurk?

21. Astro Nit says:

Bring it you spandex wearing, alien lovers. We at the TR PC Gamer outfit will destroy you! Or do what we normally do when we face you. Get killed, have our base taken from us, then beat a hasty retreat while swearing about you on Mumble

• PopeRatzo says:

You can have my purple tights when you wrest them from my cold, dead, um, bottom?

Wait, that doesn’t sound right. If anyone sees somebody in the game trying to wrest my purple tights off, please shoot one of us.

22. BlowMyHorn says:

Bring the numbers – GOON will bring the pain (along with other well known outfits – actual size may vary, don’t wash cool)

23. Kinch says:

I’ll do my best to join you tomorrows. Might be the last chance for me to like PS2. Tried it soon after launch but was terribly overwhelmed and lost. The game felt directionless and without purpose. :[

• PopeRatzo says:

You gotta stick with it a while. If you’re going to like it, the guys from RPS who are in the outfit are the guys who can get you there. They’ve renewed my faith in the possibilities that not everyone on an MMO is an asshat.

I’m not that good at the game and find it difficult and confusing, so maybe we can figure a few things out, Kinch.

24. PopeRatzo says:

Let’s see, I can be there about 1pm Chicago time. How close is that to the time you guys are going to be playing? We just had a time change for Daylight Savings, so I’m just completely lost.

We’re either GMT -5, -6 or -7 at the moment.

Well, if any of the giraffes are around at about 1pm Chicago time tomorrow, and it’s too early for the Big Event, would someone mind spending a few minutes with me answering some questions? I’m a slow learner, (rank=7) but I’ve had great fun the several times I’ve played with the Outfit. But I could use a little more basic training.

25. jonbro says:

Alright, time to fire up the downloader and get it ready to roll I guess. See you in there.

26. EsotericReverie says:

This was a very successful event! We counted 115 people online at the peak, which is at least twice our usual numbers for this kind of night. No less than 40 new players joined us for the intense and totally chaotic hours we spent on Amerish tonight. It was glorious.

Thanks Jim, for the initiative, and thanks to everyone who showed up!

27. jellyberg says:

This thing persuaded me to get the game.. however it was still downloading so I couldn’t participate. Any chance of another one soon?

Comment on this story