Dishonored’s The Knife Of Dunwall Unsheathed

By Craig Pearson on March 13th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

That's not a knife! It's a glove!
After, ooh, hours of speculation, Bethesda has revealed the details of the next Dishonored expansion pack. The Knife Of Dunwall takes a parallel peek at the Dishonored storyline. And because Alec masked spoilers in the previous post, I’ll do the same. If you have Dishonored on your Steam wishlist, go there right now and stare wistfully. Everyone else, I’ll be over there. *blinks*

Didn’t know I could do that, huh? You are Daud. He’s spotted briefly at that the start of the full game, knifing the Empress in front of you and setting off the whole sorry mess of betrayal and brothel infiltration. While Corvo is fighting for his name and the restoration of the crown, Daud suffers a crisis of conscience for his actions. I’d say it’s a bit late, but he still searches to atone for his knife-work. The Outsider, the ghostly dude who talked Corvo through his ‘sassinations, works away at Daud’s psyche, prodding him towards someone or something called ‘Delilah’. This is more story than the abstract mission maps that were released. In fact, it’s a story that won’t be concluded until a final set of DLC: The Brigmore Witches.

Daud and Corvo broadly share a skillset, so you’ll still be blinking in behind guards and making comedy rat bombs. Other skills will include summoning in helper assassins from Daud’s cadre of supplicants to help out in a fight. Additional gadgets will include Chokedust to daze enemies (and teens, who’ll upload videos of the “Chokedust Challenge” to Youtube), and Stun Mines. It seems like a lot of the skills will be remixed, so the experience will hopefully feel fresher.

As Corvo is off blinking into bedrooms, Daud’s left to the new ares of the Legal District and the Rothwild Slaughterhouse, and visits a few familiar locations as well. I am a little bit underwhelmed to hear his base of operations will still be the Flooded District, as I found that area to be rather wet. Aha! But seriously, it was annoying and cloying and not as much fun as the rest of the game.

Guess what? It’ll be out on April 16th for £7.99.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Trillby says:

So am I Daud or Daub? A dube’s gotta know!

Edit: Aw it’s been fixed ^^ still, Dishonored did vary between the sublime (Granny Rags) and the ridiculous (Empress Jessamine Kaldwin) when it came to names. Corvo is right on the edge, although I guess it works for the protagonist. Daud though….Daud is the kind of sound you make when you notice your train will be 20 minutes late, you’ve no battery left on your phone and you can’t even find a kebab shop menu to read. Dreary, dowdy, dumpy Daud.

• SuffixTreeMonkey says:

“Daud suffers a crisis of conscience, renaming himself Daub. (…) In fact, it’s a story that will be concluded with a new hero — Baub — in the final set of DLC: The Brigmore Witches.”

Gap Gen says:

Do you know that for sure, or is it just a stab in the dark?

AlwaysRight says:

So you get to play as a UK future garage producer?…

…anyone?

Ok that was a bit niche #Dauwd

Craig Pearson says:

Daud. I had a brain misfire.

Gap Gen says:

It’s OK, everyone’s drain gets blocked up from time to time.

• The Random One says:

If you’d made that kind of mistake in a big site you’d be daud! But this is smaller, so it’s OK if you make a mistake because you’re just daubbling on it.

• Shookster says:

Said the individual known as Trillby.

• Trillby says:

What are you talking about? Trillby’s a smashing name. Like the hat, see, but more like how a bird might say it.

Fucking Trillby dude.

• Shookster says:

I take it back! Trillby is a fine name. Nearly as fine as Jessamine!

• Trillby says:

If this discussion has proven anything, it’s that you have nothing insightful to contribute to any name-based debate, either now or in the future. Any sane person can attest to the worthiness of a name like Trillby, while most experts would agree that it is, at the very least, a most magnificent moniker.

And I didn’t want to say anything, politeness and all, but you’ve driven me to it: From the first moment I saw your name I thought: “Ugh – what a revolting name.”

There. Shame on you for bringing me down to your level.

• Macaw says:

I am not sure if this is what they thought of when they named that character, but here goes:

• Joshua_Anderson says:

what Ronald said I am shocked that a person able to get paid $9207 in 4 weeks on the internet. did you see this web page… http://zapit.nu/312

• StarkFist says:

not to be confused with clifford brown’s hard bop classic “Dahoud”

2. MuscleHorse says:

I assume this means there’ll now be a canonical resolution to the bit where you can either kill or spare Daud… especially if his story is going to spread over multiple DLC.

Snidesworth says:

Either that or the DLC will be set between the Empress’ assassination and when Corvo decides his fate.

I’m really looking forward to this. It’ll be interesting to see what they’ve made after mulling over all the feedback they got for the main game.

• Buemba says:

It’s probably set before that mission.

• MuscleHorse says:

I guess what I mean is that, surely that time-frame is too small for a proper series of missions.

• Trithne says:

Corvo was locked up in Coldridge Prison for six months (and yet remained incredibly fit!). Plenty of time.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

At least my version of Corvo spent all that time jumping around, into and from the bed.

DarkLiberator says:

We need a DLC where you can play as a whale.

• phelix says:

Swim in the sea for a few years sipping plankton, then get brutally harpooned and lorried into Dunwall?

• scatterlogical says:

Just enter the konami code and you can have corvo possess one.

4. MuscleHorse says:

Oh, and hurrah! We’ll be playing as Michael Mann.

yandexx says:

And some good news:
    @dishonored: RHCP release for The Knife of Dunwall coming the same day as the rest of the world (Dunwall City Trials, too)

kdz says:

Oh man, that’s sweet news!

Christian says:

Ok, I’ve read this a few times in the internets now and I’m confused (and feel a bit stupid for not knowing because it’s probably common knowledge or something, but google doesn’t enlighten me in this regard), but:

What do the Chili Peppers have to do with this? (but seriously asking: what are you referring to with RHCP?)

6. Shoudai says:

“The Other, the ghostly dude who talked Corvo through his ‘sassinations”. Don’t you mean The Outsider?

7. Creeping Death says:

It really feels (at least for me personally) that they waited far too long to release this DLC. As much as I loved Dishonored when I played it 4 months ago, I have absolutely no desire to go back. :/

• F3ck says:

I wonder about this sometimes; seems to me they’re (devs/pubs) in a no-win when it comes to releasing DLCs…

…too soon and they’ll hear cries of gluttony and money-grubbing…

…too long and they’ve lost the interest of the player/buyer.

IMO, sooner is probably preferable.

Sure, it sometimes feels like a cheat (I mean hell, I just shelled out $ for the game), but at least enthusiasm hasn’t completely waned and some other game captured my attentions…

…but I do wonder about the conversations re when it should/shouldn’t release…what the thinking is…

Christian says:

I don’t know..initially I felt the same way but thinking about it, it might be just the right time.
      Those 4 months have been just enough time not to forget about the game totally but to forget just the details. I’d expect a second playthrough (I honestly got a bit tired and stopped in the middle of my second run) to feel quite fresh when the DLC comes out.

(and I’m assuming I’m not going to pre-order Bioshock and wait until qualified reviews come in, so I’ll have spare gaming time anyway..).

If they had released it right after the game (a few weeks later maybe) this might have been different. My hope is that it will now be feeling as if I’m playing 1,5 new games ;)

Anyway, I’m still excited and the price seems right..so it will be a day 1 purchase for me..

8. karthink says:

There are two things the DLC can do much better than the game proper:
    1. Make Daud a voiced protagonist, and give NPCs more character and motivation. He already has a voice actor, anyway. Add in some actual conversation choices, and Dishonored’s big problem (connecting to the world) is somewhat solved.

2. Strip out the silly, inconsistent chaos system and introduce a new, more believable way for the player’s gameplay style to affect the world around him. We still want Dunwall to react to Daud’s actions, just not in the plague-takes-everything-if-you-kill-X+1-people way.

They’re already adding more non-lethal toys to Daud’s gadgetry, which was a big complaint. Plus, the actual world building, gameplay and level design will be topnotch without doubt.

Looking forward to this.

Gap Gen says:

That sign says “LAUGHTERHOUSE”, right? It’s a fun place with balloons, and those whales are fun papier mache models? Right?

10. Trithne says:

Chokedust, stun mines: Sounds like they took the complaints about non-lethal playstyles not getting to use 80% of the game’s items on board. Maybe they could retroactively apply them to the base storyline.

Although it doesn’t really have the replay factor of its spiritual predecessors, does it?

• Damien Stark says:

I adored it, and started a second play-through immediately… which I then abandoned after two or three missions.

What got to me wasn’t the chaos system or lack of variety or whatnot – it was the inability to find out whether you’d killed or been seen without completing the entire mission.

So many people (myself included) thought they’d pulled off a Ghost or Clean Hands run, only to find at the end that it didn’t count. Taking to the forums, you find there were one or two bugs affecting it (Granny Rags in particular), one or two unexpected things affecting it (I think you can’t poison the elixir and still get Clean Hands – which actually makes sense, but is counter-intuitive to usual “game logic”) and one or two things that require extra care (bodies may accidently fall, drown, or be eaten by rats).

None of that would be a big deal, if there was an easy way to check it throughout a mission. “Oh, I was clean 5 min ago, and now it says I killed a dude… must have been that guy on the bridge I sleep-darted. Will load last save…” Way better than running through a whole mission, only to find all your work invalidated and not know why.

11. Paul says:

Sounds really good. I also hope Daud will be voiced and I hope each DLC will be at least 3-4 full Dishonored levels long.

12. ResonanceCascade says:

If Daud doesn’t say “are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?” to a guard dog at some point, I will demand a refund.

13. jaypettitt says:

Oh, I liked the Flooded District. One of the more immersive bits of the game I thought.

Craig Pearson says:

I liked the not-watery bits.

• jaypettitt says:

I suppose they had a bit more atmosphere.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I would just like to say that I am grieving the lost pun thread right along with you.

Guys, come on. Immersive. Sigh. You made quite a splash, I thought.

• scatterlogical says:

Hey, you ninja’d me. Well, my sentiment exactly.
      I liked how expansive they made the area too. It could’ve just been a claustrophobic swamp, but they gave it real atmosphere.

And I hope you get to play as Granny Rags in the next DLC :D
      Something like “Dishonored: Tales from the crazy bag lady”.

• ResonanceCascade says:

That was my favorite part of the game. I was surprised to hear that the consensus is that it’s bad.

Craig Pearson says:

Isn’t it just me?

• ResonanceCascade says:

Naw, I remember hearing it from a lot of people at the time the game came out.

• Damien Stark says:

It’s not just you.

Trying to stay non-argumentative, we can at least agree it differed significantly from the rest of the levels. More about “platforming” than stealth (including climbing the tower full of weepers) and more about following the one correct path past the bad guys to the end than exploring an interesting area. No civilians around, so it’s back to the typical videogame “everything that moves is a bad guy to be stopped” scenario…

• Ultra Superior says:

I loved Flooded District !!!!

It was kinda stalkerish, only in wetter, more vertical way.

14. Zenicetus says:

That ability to summon Assassin goons sounds like it could be very overpowered, in a game where that was already a problem last time around. Then again, maybe he’s not as good as Corvo (which has already been established, basically), so he needs the help? It could be interesting playing as a slightly less capable protagonist.

I’ll probably wait for the final DLC before picking this one up, since it seems like they’re taking a long time to develop each one, and this isn’t a series I really want to re-visit more than one more time. It’s odd how that turned out. I liked the setting, but something about the game just didn’t encourage replaying it.

15. Epicedion says:

I’m not sure I want to play as Daud, considering that in the base game I systematically and quite brutally (and often hilariously) murdered the hell out of everyone that even slightly looked like they might be a part of his organization. I would possess them and walk them into rat swarms, plant razor traps on them, throw them off of buildings.. let’s just say I didn’t like them very much.

Gap Gen says:

I’d quite like to visit other places in the universe. Go on an expedition to the big continent next door, visit some of the other industrialised nations, etc.

• Damien Stark says:

I’m tempted to agree, but worried it may be a no-win proposition.

If the atmosphere is too different (think Jade Empire, or Metro) people will legitimately complain that it lacks what they loved in Dishonored. If it’s too similar, people will complain that it’s just repetitive asset-reuse and uniform (like say, those who complain that Skyrim is too much snowy mountains all the time).

Still, perhaps having seen what they pulled off in Dishonored, I should give Arkane the benefit of the doubt…

17. Eddy9000 says:

Dissapointed that Daud regrets his decision to assassinate the empress, would have loved to play through a different lense to Corvo’s story, especially given the main story hints that the empress wasn’t universally loved by the citizens.

18. SouperSteve0 says:

GASMASKS FOR THE GASMASK GOD!

19. Syra says:

You trying to tell me that the awesome bit where you out stealth the ninja assassins wasn’t one of the coolest parts of the game?

Shame on you, I bet you played it like some kind of brawling ape!

20. SuperNashwanPower says:

£8 is my sweet spot for DLC. Shall wait to see what the reviews make of it and if its fairly substantial, then who knows. This could be the beginning of a beautiful transaction

21. smiddy says:

I’m excited at the idea of exploring the slaughterhouse. One of the most interesting ideas for me was how this civilization was almost entirely based around the capture and slaughter of the massive whales, as grim as it sounds. It’s just that I found all the games background information and design utterly enthralling.

22. Kits says:

I expect I’ll thoroughly enjoy it, I love the game, but it seems a shame it’s still set in Dunwall. I’m sure I remember there being news that the DLC would be set in the same world but across the sea somewhere.

23. Niko says:

What Chuck said. My mate, the whaler, makes $5234 in a few weeks on the seas. check out this link: dunwallwhalers.dw/j0b