Fan’s Folly: Jurassic Park: Aftermath

By Craig Pearson on March 14th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Here’s how much I love Jurassic Park: back in the Dextrassic period (January 10th 2007 to August 28th 2011), I lived with internet-famous John Walker and a bunch of other handsome people. We all shared a cat. The antics of that cat have been well documented in the pages of The Cat Magazine, but there’s one thing John doesn’t mention in all his articles about MY cat. Whenever Dexter wanted a cat treat, he’d sit up on his back legs and eat them out of the palm of our hands. He looked like a cute little brachiosaurus. Picture this: three grown men and a lady standing in a broken kitchen, one feeding a standing cat as the others hum the music from the movie… which brings me nicely to this astonishing looking Jurassic Park fanmade Cryengine game: Jurassic Park: Aftermath

The last time I posted about this guy’s work, he was making a JP game in Unity and messing about with the Cryengine in his spare time. In the meantime, he’s clearly re-evaluated his life and decided that the Cryengine’s flexibility is the way forward. Looking at the video, I think he’s made the correct decision. Hell, he’s even got John Williams on board to provide the music. Ahem.

It’s only a few weeks old, and like a Raptor hatching from an egg, it’ll have to be handled carefully. With the release of the first movie in 3D, I do worry that he might have all his hard work stomped into the mud by Legalsauraus. If that’s the case, the solution is to buy the Dextrasssic Park rights from us and replace all the dinos with wet Dexter. Terrifying! We even have a soundtrack planned.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. RogB says:

clever boy

2. BreadBitten says:

Screw this, EVERYONE should read John’s article on his cat Dexter instead!

• DestructibleEnvironments says:

This article made me happy inside. Thanks John (And Dexter).

The game looks pretty spiffy!

3. nimzy says:

His decision was probably influenced by the fact that Unity locks features away behind the “pro” version while Crytek offers pretty much the same features to free users that they do for “pro” licensees.

Cinek says:

I’d say that it’s simply like a T-rex stopming over Unity beetle. Both: in terms of graphics and supported workflow. I doubt it has anything to deal with Unity crippling it’s free engine.

• Lemming says:

No I think it was a combination of what Nimzy said, and the fact that Unity is an engine with a wide variety of uses. He’s making a shooter so…using a shooter’s engine would seem like a no-brainer.

There isn’t anything wrong with Unity, but a free more advanced engine catered to the exact kind of game you are making is going to make you re-evaluate.

• vatara says:

CryEngine is only free for non-commercial use though.

• MasterDex says:

I don’t know, I’d say that helped a bit, but Cryengine is a wonderfully straight-forward engine to use, with plenty of power beneath its hood.

4. brulleks says:

Legalsaurus?

I think you mean: BARosaurus.

5. gritz says:

It’s a shame that all of the potential of a detailed, explorable, Jurassic Park game gets boiled down to “shoot things with guns”.

6. Ace Rimmer says:

Should have gone with this version of the theme instead. Majestic.

7. Mr Wonderstuff says:

Trespasser 2 please.

8. Bfox says:

6 shots…

Surlywombat says:

Lets all start trying to come up with a new name for the poor guy when he gets trodden on.

I’ll start: Cretaceous Safari

10. Unrein says:

You clearly missed an opportunity not renaming that picture “wet pussy”.

11. SuperNashwanPower says:

I got to agree, I think this would be great as a kind of Amnesia-with-dinosaurs, escaping as they did in the movie without weapons. Maybe drop in one shooty bit, with a shotgun, so we can all go “clever girl”, but otherwise unarmed.

OO when will someone make a Running Man mod? All environmental weapons.

• Brun says:

Would be better as Miasmata-with-Dinosaurs.

(Think I got the name right, it’s the game where you’re on an island and are hunted by this monster-thing while you gather ingredients for an antidote).

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Yeah that went through my head too. After all the movie had scientists, so you could do the whole finding plants / sciencey bit. Maybe the trap- building part, but also dinosaurs don’t look like a

SPOILERS

Silly rip off of the cat thing from avatar

END SPOILERS

but instead look awesomes. Driving jeeps. Maybe using chaos theory to make female scientists clothes be removed. Also poo. Lots of poo.

• Brun says:

Maybe using chaos theory to make female scientists clothes be removed.

AND IN THE GAME

• Sidewinder says:

Am I the only one who read the above comment and thought s/he meant awesome-looking dinosaurs driving jeeps? ‘Cause that sounds less like a video game and more like the greatest sitcom ever.

Llewyn says:

awesome-looking dinosaurs driving jeeps

Kelly’s Heroes, the videogame?

• The Random One says:

After the success of Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, we present… Dinosaurs in Cadillacs.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

That was totally what I meant *cough*

12. crinkles esq. says:

I thought you were going to talk about the *original* Jurassic Park game circa mid-90s — you know, the one with developers of mighty hubris who released a game that had a detailed physics model and ran about 1 FPS. Trespasser I think it was called.

Malibu Stacey says:

But is it as much fun as Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis?
    That game was hilariously good. Mostly when you fucked up so it was pretty true to the movie licence.

14. Brotacon says:

Oh wow, I saw this at work and I thought something looked familiar. Following the links I remembered I went to University with the guy, Colin, who’s making this. He’s a maniac and he never sleeps. He never sleeps.

15. kerbal says:

Meh, video is blocked by GEMA (at least in germany)

16. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

I had the music for this ruined for me by this:

17. Leaufai says:

I hate to be the bad guy on this, but I’ve seen a dozen mods start and fail on recreating the images from the movie. The cars, the visitor’s center, etc. Those are not important at all. Gameplay is the only interesting part to me at this point, as no game/mod has focused on what counts: the interaction with the dinosaurs.

• jkz says:

I want to feed a brachiosaurus…HOT LEAD!!!!GET SOME YOU PESKY VEGISAURUS!!!

• scatterlogical says:

Yep, the cars and visitor’s center are kind of the Jurassic Park equivalent of an AK47 model….